Foreign volunteers make crucial contribution towards mission

webfact

2 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Well said. And frankly, I'm rather surprised the Thais called on foreign assistance so quickly. Maybe a corner is being turned. Nevertheless, I'm getting the impression the Thai Navy Seals are doing a terrific job. The spirit of co-operation among Thai rescuers and the many foreigners bringing their expertise seems remarkably strong and effective. Top marks to all. Just need to keep the politicians away to let the professionals do their job. 

*****  If the politicians, their hanger-on's and their backers all buggered off away from everything to do with Thailand, and let the real professionals do their job, Thailand would be a far better place for it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Drew345 said:

Those British divers in full gear looked like real life Avengers. Certainly at least up there with Hawkeye anyway.

The guys in the top photo in full gear were Australians according to the description below - thank you very much.?

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

How about the government give them each 10-year visas with no annual renewals and/or a cash contribution to their nonprofit organization? A "Thanks" doesn't pay the bills.

Why would these volunteers want to stay in Thailand for 10 years?

They came to help find the missing boys, and will go back home to their

daily routine once their work is done.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

So what will happen if the inflatable gets ripped open on the rocks with a child stuffed in it? Did you know that some of the way the tunnels are down to less than 0.5 metres wide where the rescue team could not get through with their tanks on.

They could not even get a thin phone cable through the turns and to the kids without it breaking today, and people are talking about metre-wide capsules!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pathologix said:

They could not even get a thin phone cable through the turns and to the kids without it breaking today, and people are talking about metre-wide capsules!

Think there might, just might, be a clue in your sentence, as to why they couldn't get the cable through.

Can you work it out?

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Think there might, just might, be a clue in your sentence, as to why they couldn't get the cable through.

Can you work it out?

They aren't idiots. I'm sure the housing on the cabling that they were using was extremely robust. Even so, it couldn't make it through what is obviously an extremely difficult route. Numerous experts have talked about the difficulty of getting people and items to and from the location, and people here are talking about fabricating imaginary airtight capsules? You think a capsule has a better chance of making it safely around those tight turns than a pliable cable?

4 minutes ago, pathologix said:

They aren't idiots. I'm sure the housing on the cabling that they were using was extremely robust. Even so, it couldn't make it through what is obviously an extremely difficult route. Numerous experts have talked about the difficulty of getting people and items to and from the location, and people here are talking about fabricating imaginary airtight capsules? You think a capsule has a better chance of making it safely around those tight turns than a pliable cable?

There, that wasn't difficult was it?

You explained your thoughts in a civil manner.

Well done.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, mikekenya said:

How to get the boys out now instead of a long wait ??

As an ex commercial diver, use Surface Demand = no bulky SCUBA Tank in restricted areas.

Use a Dry Hat so no water on face AND be able to speak freely and be spoken to by Thai Navy Seals during the surface ascent.

Then you also should know that the solution you provide is not a very good one. Air from the surface will need very long tubes that will be a hell for any grown-up diver to pull vertical and then there also is a big chance that the air-tube fasten among the rocks. So no good idea at all. 

1 minute ago, hobobo said:

Just goes to show what can be achieved in the absence of unnecessary red tape and bureaucracy. A great example of true global cooperation without the political machinations. 

Yes, well said, Hobobo: idiotic red tape and brainless bureaucracy are strangling Thailand. Just look at the daft (and disrespectful) 90-Day Address Reporting nonsense - where some provincial offices have not yet even got postal delivery (let alone an online service) for this: one has to present oneself in person to present the silly form! Ludicrous!

The hard  part has just begun particularly as regards the 11  year  old. Congratulations to all who participated from the divers to the laundry ladies to the food preparers to the police for keeping order and on and on. Many a hard tough guys she tears on the success so far. Praying for more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Yes, well said, Hobobo: idiotic red tape and brainless bureaucracy are strangling Thailand. Just look at the daft (and disrespectful) 90-Day Address Reporting nonsense - where some provincial offices have not yet even got postal delivery (let alone an online service) for this: one has to present oneself in person to present the silly form! Ludicrous!

I know. 

Without going off topic. 

I went to jomtien to 90 day report yesterday. 

90 days today. 

Depart on the night of the 6th to the UK for a while. But...

After looking at all the previous comments and advice, I decided to do it anyway. 

It just might raise its head later at extension renew point. 

Sign says lunch 12 til 1pm.

Last ticket issue is 11:30.

The desk officer was munching lunch and said 1pm. 11:40.

Then saw I had filled my application in. And gave me a ticket. 

Three minutes later I was walking out the door. 11:45 am.

Very polite and helpful. 

Only took the passport id page copy and the TM6 copy. 

Also said that after doing the 1st 90 day I can now do on line.

I wasn't aware that was the case.

But yes, another paper wasting exercise. 

• Like 1

It is heartwarming to see the world pull together to get this done. Looking forward to a good result. Too bad our politicians can't figure out how to work so well together. Things could improve for all of the citizens of the world.

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

How about the head line....thank god for these foreigners because we would of never found them.i doubt very much if the Thai navy seals have a clue about cave diving.

Well they do now.

Looks like they learned really fast.

Another thought - taking nothing away from the experienced cave divers - if those RTN SEALS don't have prior experience, how fantastically brave they must be to dive through those caves and entrust their lives to the guidance of complete strangers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Well they do now.

Looks like they learned really fast.

Another thought - taking nothing away from the experienced cave divers - if those RTN SEALS don't have prior experience, how fantastically brave they must be to dive through those caves and entrust their lives to the guidance of complete strangers.

Do you think any of the Thai seals have yet managed to get as far to reach the boys,I doubt it as they would be just another problem.one thing I do know is they done the right thing by getting the right people in for the job.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

There are videos of Thai SEALS sitting in the cave with the boys. They have been there for quite a while.

Yes, the right people led the team - no arguement about that.

Sorry I take it back.theres been so much reporting on this that I've not kept up to date.like you say they've learnt fast.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Sorry I take it back.theres been so much reporting on this that I've not kept up to date.like you say they've learnt fast.

No problem. There are now so many topics that it's hard to keep up to date. This topic is now half way down page 2 of the News Section ...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046178-new-video-shows-boys-in-good-spirits-inside-tham-luang-cave/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

No problem. There are now so many topics that it's hard to keep up to date. This topic is now half way down page 2 of the News Section ...

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046178-new-video-shows-boys-in-good-spirits-inside-tham-luang-cave/

Thinking about it maybe they got the seals in so they could see,understand more and gain trust for the boys as I know they can be a bit wary of farang.

Edited by happy chappie
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

Thinking about it maybe they got the seals in so they could see,understand and gain trust for the boys as I know they can be a bit wary of farang.

One of them is a RTN doctor. I believe he has had previous diver training but I can't imagine he ever expected to be doing something like this.

Courageous people - all of them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

One of them is a RTN doctor. I believe he has had previous diver training but I can't imagine he ever expected to be doing something like this.

Courageous people - all of them.

Maybe the seals have some sort of ship wreck diver training which is as close as your going to get as cave diving.very brave people.these are the people who really deserve a medal.i bet mr toad and or his master can't wait to be dishing them out with the media all over them.

• Like 1