All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

11 hours ago, LosLobo said:

When overseas for more than six weeks or going overseas permanently AAP Supplement drops to $36.70.

Therefore AAP is $880.30 for non residents.

Which reinforces my view that the size of the pension is what determines whether an Australian pensioner is "qualified" to live in Thailand, rather than someone's ignorant rants about the AUD/THB exchange rate

3 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Which reinforces my view that the size of the pension is what determines whether an Australian pensioner is "qualified" to live in Thailand, rather than someone's ignorant rants about the AUD/THB exchange rate

They are still doing under the table visa in Pats. 

Wed, 8 May, 2019

Australia falls to 62nd place in global internet speed rankings
Australia is still lagging behind the rest of the world when it comes to the speed of our internet, and another test has proven this.

The country has dropped to 62nd place in a global ranking of broadband speeds, which puts Australia behind a number of developing countries, including Kosovo and Barbados.

The data comes from Ookla Speedtest, which is a company that provides an online speed test service for internet users.

Australia has fallen three places, despite achieving a slightly higher average speed compared to previous months.

The global average speed of internet is 57.91 megabits per second (MBPS), and Australian households reach an average speed of 35.11MBPS.

Number one on the list was Singapore, who tops the list with a very fast 199.62MBPS, which is more than 5.6 times faster than the speed of Australia.

However, given the size of the two countries, with Australia having a large landscape compared to Singapore’s small and highly populated city nation, it’s not a fair comparison.

The other countries included in the top five are also small nations, which include Hong Kong, Monaco, Romania and South Korea.

America comes in at number 8, with an average internet speed of 117.31MBPS.

A spokesperson for the NBN has defended Australia’s position in the ranking and pointed to improvements in speed over the past year.

“This step change in the average speed of fixed broadband performance points to an overall improvement in speeds once customers connect to the NBN,” the spokesperson said to news.com.au.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:00 AM, ThaiBunny said:

Settle down mate, you're embarrassing yourself.  Much more of this and they'll be awarding you the medal of honour (keyboard).

QzDuRVf.jpg.730497cee774b2f758aa3f7c633053eb.jpg

• Haha 1

The election is looking like there may be an upset result - the TV election coverage is saying Labor are looking 'unlikely' to win.  A shock result, but personally satisfying.  

Tony Abbott has lost his seat though, to a 'moderate right' independent.  Apparently climate change is NOT crap.  ???? 

Edited by moojar

I went through the pre marriage process in Thailand about 3 years ago, but decided not to go ahead because of possible pension loss. However I still have all the documents from the Aussie Embassy, translations etc. My question is would I still be able to go ahead with the marriage now or would all those documents be considered out of date? If I need to repeat the process I would only be getting the exact same documents again.

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

How does an Australian with new O-A visa now get a certificate of residence in Thailand for bank,drivers licence and yellow tabien now the embassy in Bangkok no longer gives them.

regards

You should be able to get one from your local Immigration Office.

• Like 1
On 5/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, giddyup said:

I went through the pre marriage process in Thailand about 3 years ago, but decided not to go ahead because of possible pension loss. However I still have all the documents from the Aussie Embassy, translations etc. My question is would I still be able to go ahead with the marriage now or would all those documents be considered out of date? If I need to repeat the process I would only be getting the exact same documents again.

There is a new "certificate of no impediment to marriage" instead of the old paperwork, since April I believe. I did it last week, fairly straightforward except my gf was required to produce her passport when that was not on the listed requirements. Dont know what would have happened if she did not have one. The certificate is valid for 3 months so dont get it too early.

The application form and info pdf are on the embassy website.

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Of course driving in Thailand is very dangerous and the deadliest in the world..... but why are Australian drivers so angry and full of rage? Try driving a kilometer or two under the speed limit on AU capital city arterial roads and see what happens!! They need to learn a little Mai Pen Rai. 

This from today's AU newspapers...

Road rage drives 20pc of motorists to crash

ROAD rage is driving Australians crazy, with one in five motorists admitting their frustration has caused a crash.

Whether it’s because of tailgating, confusing indicating or high beams, new research shows almost half the nation is reluctant to navigate rush hour because of the stress.

“We’ve all been there, trying to merge but no one lets you in, can’t open your car door because another car has parked too close,” ING head of wealth Cathy Duncan said.

“It’s these little things that frustrate us and can cause our judgment and decision-making to be impaired by stress.”

Conducted last month, the survey found tailgating topped the list as the most infuriating driver behaviour, followed by changing lanes without indicating and selfish parking.

While a cocky 97 per cent of drivers rated themselves as safe drivers, 15 per cent admitted they would probably fail a driving test if forced to sit it again.

While 20 per cent said their stress had led to a crash, women were more likely to keep cool under pressure, the research showed. But annoyances inside the car, such as screaming kids, arguments and backseat drivers were also cited as causes of stress.

I seen the exchange rates today , and the Aussie dollar was 20.7 baht... I was just thinking about the people who rely on their pension to retire how it must be hurting them . I am fortunate enough not to rely on the pension , one of the members quote once before about " the haves and have nots "I do not think this is not the case  as to see the dollar drop so much is cruel and prediction it will go down more . Aussie battlers ? too right mate

• Like 1
On 6/16/2019 at 4:50 PM, Nemises said:

No hurt at all for those pensioners who follow the Golden Rule of “Rent, Never Buy”....just pack your bags and move to another, more affordable country.

Having been here some time and locked in a Thai lease of B7,000/m (paid annually in advance) for a 2 bedroom house close to the beach on Samui, it would actually cost me more to move. Similar places here are now around 50% dearer, and I doubt I could get as good  deal elsewhere.

On 6/16/2019 at 3:16 PM, kevvy said:

I seen the exchange rates today , and the Aussie dollar was 20.7 baht... I was just thinking about the people who rely on their pension to retire how it must be hurting them . I am fortunate enough not to rely on the pension , one of the members quote once before about " the haves and have nots "I do not think this is not the case  as to see the dollar drop so much is cruel and prediction it will go down more . Aussie battlers ? too right mate

I just checked with XE, they are offering B21/AU$ with no fees; that actual, not mid-range. It's only B600 on my $2000 transfer, but that will keep me in Chang for a (very) few days.

i have been using them for over 6 months to transfer to my Thai g/f's BBK Bank a/c, no problems and very quick.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

The Aussie pension situation is a farse!! Lifted to 67. So if it is a fall back situation, one has to go back at 65, get a job or dole for 2 yrs or go back at 67 & stay for 2 yrs. Not a great choice!!

You need to get out more. Australia is by no means unusual in this regard - https://theconversation.com/factcheck-is-australia-on-track-to-have-the-oldest-pension-age-in-the-developed-world-72567

57 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

The Aussie pension situation is a farse!! Lifted to 67. So if it is a fall back situation, one has to go back at 65, get a job or dole for 2 yrs or go back at 67 & stay for 2 yrs. Not a great choice!!

Yes 67 is the starting age, and don't forget you have to pass the assets test, but the age goes all the way to 70 years depending on what year you were born, unfortunately for me with my birthday falling after 1 August, I have to wait till I am 67 and 1/2, by then i.e. in 8 and 1/2 years with the OZ $ dropping I should have run out of money ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
23 hours ago, kevvy said:

I do not bring money over .. No pension  ..nothing ... Brought it all over when the dollar was high as I knew it would go down ..

I like Singh ...hehehe

Question: Why put all your eggs into one basket, e.g. how would you get your money back to Oz if you decided you have had enough of Thailand tomorrow, the weather being so frigen humid and all ????

12 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

At least I don't rely on 2 + yr old news articles!! ????????????

Has the situation changed since then? The article was in the context of raising the age from 67 to 70 so your post about a "farse" was true then as it is now

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Question: Why put all your eggs into one basket, e.g. how would you get your money back to Oz if you decided you have had enough of Thailand tomorrow, the weather being so frigen humid and all ????

i am not was going back, I have  in 10 million baht into a home knowing I will not go back .I have a beautiful wife and good life here , go back to the nanny state, where you just work to keep alive ..? I go back each year for a month on holidays that keep me going .. I am 65 and I am settled here ????The only thing I find hard to accept here is the regulations with visa based on retirement . I have a separate account for the 800,000 as alot of people do . I still that is wrong , but this is there law and you have to accept it.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Bagwain said:

There is an alternative not given out by C/Link. I went back for 4 consecutive years before my OAP was due staying just over 6 months each trip. At the end of the 4 years OAP was granted without questioning the years spent outide Oz or my future plans. I have since done 2 trips of 5 and 3 months without problems.

When I told them I was coming back this trip for 7 months, I received the magic letter that while outside Oz my pension may be paid indefinitely.

My theory was that I had been an Oz resident for 4 years, AND I had spent 2 years in residence but taking extended holidays, as any citizen is entitled to do.

• Thanks 1