All Aussie Related Stuff (excluding the old age pension)

Will27

On 11/11/2018 at 7:43 AM, Nemises said:

Has anyone else noticed the presence of plain clothes officials at BKK Qantas flights departure gates?(they stand immediately next to the final boarding pass/passport computer)

I’ve often wondered who they are and what they’re doing. This may explain...

This article is from the November 11 issue of The Daily Telegraph Digital Edition.

RECORD NUMBER OF CRIMINALS STOPPED FROM FLYING TO AUSTRALIA

THE number of criminals, illegal immigrants and suspected terrorists kicked off flights bound for Australia has skyrocketed by 300 per cent.

A whopping 555 individuals were booted off flights in 2017-18 , up from the 136 people “offloaded” from planes to Australia the year before.

Some of the passengers taken off flights because they posed a “risk to the border” included individuals trying to enter the country illegally to work or live, as well as suspected criminals and others who were a national security concern, The Sunday Telegraph understands.

In most cases, Australian Border Force officials have worked with airlines such as Qantas and Emirates to keep these undesirables out.

Hundreds of other passengers with fraudulent documents have also been stopped before they could board flights. It’s estimated taxpayers would have been forced to fork out $15 million for authorities to detain and eventually deport the 205 people with fraudulent documents if they hadn’t been stopped from entering Australia.

Another 4584 travellers were stopped at airports and refused entry when they reached Australia in 2017-18 .

The ABF attributes the massive increase in the number of passengers booted off flights to Airline Liaison Officers working more closely with airlines, resulting in more awareness among airline staff of potential threats. Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton said ALOs were “crucial” to protecting Australia’s borders.

ABF Strategic Border Command Assistant Commissioner Erin Dale agreed ALOs played a critical role in keeping “unscrupulous individuals” out of Australia.

ALOs are stationed in 19 airports.

Copyright emoji767.png 2018 News Pty Limited

A twist - about 2 years back one of the local budget carriers subscribed to an instant access of an always up to date international passports data base.

In the first 30 days they discovered a total of about 60 problem passports:

- Some bought fake (invalid PP number) with vague photos and unclear dates.

- Some bought fake (invalid PP number) but now with a photo of the person carrying the passport. 

- Some stolen real PPs:

- Person who stole the passport trying to use it.

- Stolen then sold to another person.

- Some very obviously tampered with re photos and/or dates. 

It seems to me that about 90%, or more, of the carriers of these passports are:

- Criminals, and their passports have been confiscated.

- Criminals or others who cannot get a legitimate passport.

- Involved with drug courier work.

- Terrorists.

- ?

Sixty discovered in 30 days.

Question: Would you like to be on a flight with folks like this?  I wouldn't.

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/20/2018 at 9:29 AM, moojar said:

On a lighter note, the government are promising to cut the immigration intake.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/enough-enough-enough-scott-morrison-says-he-will-cut-australia-s-migration-intake-20181119-p50h1e.html

There's an election in the first half of 2019 and the Libs are well behind in the polls, so this is grain of salt stuff.  But still, the conversation is starting.  

It's a funny situation - NSW politicians have been pleading for years to cut the intake. But VIC are all excited about Melbourne becoming the biggest city in 15 or 20 years and seem to want the tap to stay on.  But they are doing some spectacular navel gazing lately over the deranged "terrorist" with a knife in the Melbourne CBD a couple of weeks ago, they are now statistically the 'violent crime' capital, they have an 'African gang problem', and there's breaking news today re yet another 'terrorist cell' arrest down there.  Maybe they would like a slow down in immigration now too.   

A bit of city rivalry? I live in Melbourne its fine, to many people now for sure, outer roads cant keep up with expanding housing estates inner city roads are clogged ive been to BKK, Manila and Mexico City and ive experienced them Melbourne and dare say Sydney isn't far behind them...but we have a shit transport system the state governments on both sides have always failed to tackle this problem, a rail ring is long over due, Andrews looks like he will get one built we actually need 2, unfortunately for us Aussies we have a car culture so dont expect to much from any party.

As for immigration both sides of the political spectrum have seen it as a way of boosting the economy, our dumb politicians have no other formula, if it weren't for immigration we would have had at least 3 recessions since the last in the early. 1990's, anyway infrastructure seems to be at breaking point so there is talk to cut immigration back after boosting it a few years a go..

It will be an election issue as will be electricity costs, so id like to know who's going to be able to afford to buy an electric car and the juice to run it, on top of that Shorten has seen how Andrews has pretty much decimated the Libs by offering half price everything to the masses new roads rail etc etc...sold the Port of Melbourne ho gees there wont be anything left in the kitty in Victoria ho but wait theres more if Shorten gets in and its very real now a few sweetness and we will get another government we deserve....

Aussies need to stop thinking about there little world and look at the big picture, we are in demanding times, the party that wins the election needs a clear majority if they win they have the mandate for change for there policy, we keep getting hung parliaments there for the maths tells us not much is going to change and its more of the same....

• 4 weeks later...

my Medi Card has just run out---and they haven't sent a replacement to the address I use in Oz ---I am 71---but I don't take a pension, is the card now related to staying outside the country ? Has anyone gone through this exercise and been reissued another card ? Are you required to stay in the country for a certain period before they will renew the card.

Thanks for any clarity on this issue.........I saw the form that ripstanley posted, god it goes back to 1981 when they first brought it out----I have traveled a lot

54 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

... is the card now related to staying outside the country ? Has anyone gone through this exercise and been reissued another card ? Are you required to stay in the country for a certain period before they will renew ...

If you left Australia more than 5 years ago you may no longer be eligible.  Best you contact them and ask. 

Red this link https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/medicare/medicare-card/eligibility/who-can-get-it 

^ These are normally mailed out automatically, but if you have been out of the country for too long you may have lost the right to Medicare.  

I have no experience with a case such as yours, don't know how long you'd have to come back to re-qualify.  Perhaps others do... 

To get a replacement M/care card if it's lost or stolen you can order thru 'my gov' - https://my.gov.au .  You create an account in 'my gov' then link in the various departments you deal with, then do what needs doing.  No idea if you can order a new card if your previous one has merely lapsed, but you may get some indication why you cannot if you cannot.  

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

my Medi Card has just run out---and they haven't sent a replacement to the address I use in Oz ---I am 71---but I don't take a pension, is the card now related to staying outside the country ? Has anyone gone through this exercise and been reissued another card ? Are you required to stay in the country for a certain period before they will renew the card.

Thanks for any clarity on this issue.........I saw the form that ripstanley posted, god it goes back to 1981 when they first brought it out----I have traveled a lot

I would say that if your old Medicare card has expired, your up $hit Creek so to speak as I spoke to a bloke I know who went back to Oz for a short period of time, and they wanted a whole lot of stuff to give him another one, like a lease, etc, etc, suffice to say they do not send the replacements out, it apparently is up to the individuals to get another one issued.

I have been here for 3 years and have used it twice when I have returned, works fine, and I have heard from blokes that they keep using theirs because they keep renewing them, suffice to say, mine was due for renewal next year before I return in October, so I went online to MyGov account and requested a new one, stating that I lost the one I had, they send it to my mates address that I use in Oz and picked it up when I was there recently.

For those out there that have their card coming up to expire soon, you might want to try it my way, i.e. I have another 5 years on mine, or if your heading back, drop in and request a new one. I have been told as long as the card is current you can still use it, and if you log into MyGov and go to your Medicare profile, you can see the date it expires.

• 1 month later...

Haven't found anything about the effects of the Labor Government removing franking credits relating to non-residents.

Currently non-residents pay no tax on 100% fully franked shares but if this comes in, any ideas what would happen for non-residents? I'm guessing tax would have to be paid.

^ Article below was in today’s Sydney Daily Telegraph. No mention of non-residents unfortunately BaanOz:

————————

BATTLING THE RETIREE TAX

DAVID SPEERS

Chris Bowen’s foray into class — and generational — warfare has given the Coalition an opening to attack

Back in early September, when the Liberal Party was still a brawling Muppet Show after its leadership implosion, at least one MP was thinking about how the government might claw its way out of the mess.

The newly-appointed chair of the House Economics Committee, Victorian Liberal Tim Wilson, went to the Prime Minister with an idea. He wanted his committee given the task of investigating franking credits.

He felt this was far more potent political ground for the Coalition than targeting Labor’s plans to wind back negative gearing.

The politics of Labor’s proposed negative gearing change aren’t straightforward. House prices might fall, but no one can really say by how much.

Even if they do, many younger voters would be quite happy. And existing investments will be grandfathered anyway.

There’s upside and downside for the government in attacking Labor on this front.

The politics are far clearer when it comes to franking credits. If Labor ends cash rebates for franking credits, about 900,000 self-funded retirees would lose income immediately. Existing investments would not be grandfathered.

These are retirees who have followed the rules and structured their affairs to live off this income.

Are they super-rich ? Some are. But many of the numbers being thrown around in this debate relate to the period before the government put a $1.6 million cap on superannuation balances in 2017.

Since then, those with more than $1.6 million in super now pay income tax on additional earnings.

Under Labor, these wealthy retirees paying income tax won’t lose out. It’s only those who don’t pay income tax who would no longer be able to claim a cash rebate.

The bulk of those hit would be those living on retirement savings of between $800,000 and $1.6 million for retirement. Hardly battlers, but nor are they rolling in it.

One 70-year-old viewer told me this week how he and his 67-year-old wife would be hit.

They received $49,700 in dividends last year and $21,240 in franking credits, which would be lost under the Labor approach. They are self-supporting and decided five years ago to give up the Seniors Health Card because they didn’t think it was right for a couple of their means to claim the benefit.

Hundreds of retirees with similar stories packed into public hearings this week as the House Economics Committee took evidence across marginal seats in Queensland.

With Tim Wilson in the chair, the committee heard from worried seniors in Townsville, Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.

Labor is right to point out this whole committee process is a political stunt. Parliamentary committees don’t usually investigate opposition policies. But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea for a government in a deep political hole.

The committee is achieving exactly what Wilson hoped for.

These hearings are rallying the retirees. Most of those turning up to complain about Labor’s policy are undoubtedly Liberal voters already, but not all. Of the 20 electorates most affected by scrapping refundable franking credits, eight are Labor held seats, some on tight margins.

Then there’s the risk of spooking the grey vote more broadly; never a good idea. Whether they enjoy franking credit rebates or not, retirees don’t want to be unloved. They don’t want a government that prioritises tax cuts for younger workers over their needs.

Shadow Treasurer Chris Bowen struck precisely the wrong note when he appeared to dismiss their concerns this week. He told ABC radio those retirees worried about the policy “are of course perfectly entitled to vote against us” .

This was an uncharacteristic mistake from Bowen, which the government leapt on. Treasurer Josh Frydenberg called it arrogant, the Prime Minister called it a “two-finger salute to retirees” . No one in Labor is repeating that Bowen line.

The Opposition is on dangerous ground targeting older Australians who have bought shares and claim franking credits to fund their retirement. They have done nothing wrong.

It’s on much stronger ground highlighting the ballooning cost to the budget and why this measure may not be sustainable. When the Howard Government introduced this unique and generous measure 20 years ago, the cash rebates cost the budget around half a billion dollars. They’re now costing nearly $6 billion and rising . That’s more than the Commonwealth spends on public schools.

Shadow Finance Minister Jim Chalmers yesterday linked this growing cost to Australia’s record levels of debt.

“Every week the government borrows $100 million for a very generous tax concession, which 92 per cent of the Australian population doesn’t access,” he said.

Labor would use the revenue from scrapping these rebates to deliver a better budget bottom line than the Coalition and more money for schools and childcare.

There’s a strong argument for doing all these things, just so long as retirees don’t feel they’re at the bottom of the list of Labor’s priorities.

Right now that’s where many fear they are.

The Opposition is on dangerous ground targeting older Australians

Copyright [emoji767] 2019 News Pty Limited

In regards to post where couple hand back health care cards, I know a really well off guy who stretches the truth, the rules and manipulates his wealth so he gets a health card. A pie wealth system run by the rich will be for the riches plates to throw on as many chocolate caramel pudding slices as they can even if they won't be eaten.

Does anyone know how much money you’re allowed to have in the bank to qualify for maximum Newstart allowance? Their website (https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance/how-much-you-can-get/income-and-asset-limits) advises maximum allowable assets and income, but it’s MONEY IN THE BANK that’s of interest, that’s allowed for a person with no income and no assets e.g. someone with not much more than an old car living with family or friends.

29 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Does anyone know how much money you’re allowed to have in the bank to qualify for maximum Newstart allowance? Their website (https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/newstart-allowance/how-much-you-can-get/income-and-asset-limits) advises maximum allowable assets and income, but it’s MONEY IN THE BANK that’s of interest, that’s allowed for a person with no income and no assets e.g. someone with not much more than an old car living with family or friends.

• $5,500 if you’re single with no dependants, or
  • $11,000 if have a partner or you’re single with dependants

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

On 11/27/2018 at 7:11 PM, AlexRRR said:

who's going to be able to afford to buy an electric car and the juice to run it, on to

Those with 20+ solar panels will be ok.

I feel for the battlers. People with houses under 400k and combined income under ?? Should be given free solar panels and pay them off over time with their feed in credit.

Let the sun pay for it.

2 hours ago, Nemises said:

^ many thanks emoji120.png

So according to the table in your link, if you have $20,000 in the bank (single, no dependents) you just have to wait 10 weeks then you will still get the MAXIMUM Newstart allowance?

Call or visit Centrelink to confirm detail

Call or visit Centrelink to confirm detail

Yes, when the time comes, of course. Until then happy to hear feedback from Forum members who may have any first-hand knowledge/experience/advice on above questions about allowable money in back when applying for Newstart.
On 2/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, stud858 said:

Those with 20+ solar panels will be ok.

I feel for the battlers. People with houses under 400k and combined income under ?? Should be given free solar panels and pay them off over time with their feed in credit.

Let the sun pay for it.

I got the solar and battery cut my gas off and run purely on electricity.....if i worked nights then during the day when im in bed i could charge my electric car if i had one....for about 8 months of the year in Melbourne.

Since most people are not home daytime for most of the week and when its ten plus grand a battery the sun your getting for free wont be going to your car....and you would need at least 2 battery's.

Andy Andrews Sudds offered such sweeteners in the last election if labour got over the line and they did by a country mile.

That electric car is not going to save your pocket anything and of course once the likes of Origin and AGL have you in there grips ...what to do what to do????

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR  21.82   =    1 THAI BAHT    

So painful to watch ......     why has it fallen off the cliff over the last two weeks  ???  ????

RBA hinted that they may cut the official interest rate.  Also revised downwards the economic growth forecasts.  Other interest rates around the world - notably the USA - are on the way up, and money flows to where the returns are. 

Liberals trashing the joint ahead of the election they are almost certain to lose is not helping. 

We dodged a recession after the GFC but our day of reckoning has arrived.  Thanks largely to Mr Trump's trade war (screwed everything up) as well as China's restrictions on foreign / outgoing funds investment (the housing crash, leading into falling employment).

Dollar was 17 baht first time I visited Thailand in the early 1990s.  Has been way higher since the Asian economic crisis in the late 1990s.  I can see the dollar going to 17 or below easily.  

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Recent court win for expat on residency/non-residency definition.

May prompt changes to ATO residency rules.

Perhaps good news for some, not so good for others.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-26/expats-given-certainty-on-residency-rules/10850232

Interesting read. With some exceptions and within sensible reasoning it seems the law is on the side of the individual to state factually about their own lifestyle. I.e it would be easier to convince a judge about your own situation rather than make generalised judgements on someone else's.

I believe though a lot of people misinterpret usual abode as the abode you're usually at.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:08 PM, Nemises said:

Yes, when the time comes, of course. Until then happy to hear feedback from Forum members who may have any first-hand knowledge/experience/advice on above questions about allowable money in back when applying for Newstart.

Hello Nemises

Simple 1 is right

This shall help me as well - I will tell my story & others may add info

I'm in Auss at the moment & the labour market isn't good - Seems to be mainly Labour Hire for short stints (pending career )

In my case I went down to apply but can do online through MY GOV. I still had to go into office due to their amazing answers to the questions (no proper choice )

So applying for Newstart isn't to difficult if you are single but I thought I better mention the wife & son (they have no Australian links ), only been to Auss for holidays (maybe find out through Immigration )

I not even know if they know I'm married (can't remember if I went back to embassy after doing papers at Amphur )

This is when the all the extras started 

Mod "P" Form - This is all the info they want on your wife

Mod "R" Form - This is all the info concerning the property my wife & son owns 

I had to fill the forms in as my wife would not have a clue as to such forms

They wanted Deeds & some how may try to evaluate the property , & check other things - not know how as my wife may not answer strange number 

So do any others have experience, as I would presume the OAP would be the same (but this is not an OAP thread )

Thanks

On 2/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Nemises said:

The other amazing thing is that you cannot touch your Superanuation

Only on these terms

If you have been on Payments for 26 weeks & have bills rising to your neck (not needing money for future living expenses ), then you may be elegible to get a one off payment per year up to $10,000 

8 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Hello Nemises

Simple 1 is right

This shall help me as well - I will tell my story & others may add info

I'm in Auss at the moment & the labour market isn't good - Seems to be mainly Labour Hire for short stints (pending career )

In my case I went down to apply but can do online through MY GOV. I still had to go into office due to their amazing answers to the questions (no proper choice )

So applying for Newstart isn't to difficult if you are single but I thought I better mention the wife & son (they have no Australian links ), only been to Auss for holidays (maybe find out through Immigration )

I not even know if they know I'm married (can't remember if I went back to embassy after doing papers at Amphur )

This is when the all the extras started 

Mod "P" Form - This is all the info they want on your wife

Mod "R" Form - This is all the info concerning the property my wife & son owns 

I had to fill the forms in as my wife would not have a clue as to such forms

They wanted Deeds & some how may try to evaluate the property , & check other things - not know how as my wife may not answer strange number 

So do any others have experience, as I would presume the OAP would be the same (but this is not an OAP thread )

Thanks

Once you have finalised the Centrelink NewStart process it will eventually roll over to Age Pension, but you will have Assets forms to fill out. You can start the process 13 weeks prior to the Age Pension commencement. 

For other members, for the future don't mention overseas assets, the value is unlikely to impact your Age Pension payment and a pain in the neck to deal with all the bureaucratic issues.

On 2/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Nemises said:

e.g. someone with not much more than an old car living with family or frien

If you say your staying with family you can get Rent Assistance from CL & it wont affect their income

• 4 weeks later...

I would like some help regarding my father coming to live in Thailand with us.

He currently lives in Darwin and i believe there is no Thai consular service there.

What would be the best way to get him a retirement visa.(he would go the 800K in bank method.)

Can it be easily arranged by a single elderly gent without to much paperwork headaches in Aus.

Or should i get him over on visa exempt entry,take him to Laos to get tourist visa then upgrade to retirement in country here.(not sure how he could open bank account in Thailand to have money in 2 months prior without non-o visa?)

Thanks

P

23 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

I would like some help regarding my father coming to live in Thailand with us.

He currently lives in Darwin and i believe there is no Thai consular service there.

What would be the best way to get him a retirement visa.(he would go the 800K in bank method.)

Can it be easily arranged by a single elderly gent without to much paperwork headaches in Aus.

Or should i get him over on visa exempt entry,take him to Laos to get tourist visa then upgrade to retirement in country here.(not sure how he could open bank account in Thailand to have money in 2 months prior without non-o visa?)

Thanks

Probably not to hard to do in Australia, via mail to Canberra. Ends up being a much better Visa, almost 2 years before you have to worry about extensions or opening Thai accounts etc.

Father would probably need to be internet/computer wise or have assistance. Police check online, download/print documents etc .There are a couple of visits to make, police station, doctor, Justice of the peace,  etc. 

28 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Probably not to hard to do in Australia, via mail to Canberra. Ends up being a much better Visa, almost 2 years before you have to worry about extensions or opening Thai accounts etc. Father would probably need to be internet/computer wise or have assistance. Police check online, download/print documents etc .There are a couple of visits to make, police station, doctor, Justice of the peace,  etc. 

To use that great Aussie expression, it's a piece of p**s:

• Visit to bank to get them to certify the bank account and its balance plus bank cheque for visa fee
  • Visit to doctor for medical certificate who if he's got any sense will just sign it without any tests
  • Apply online for Australian federal police clearance certificate - you can probably do this for him provided it's mailed to his address
  • Fill out the form - ditto about you doing it for him - and enclose the paperwork + payment
  • Make copies
  • Get the copies certified by the nearest JP
  • Get a return addressed envelope
  • Mail it all off to Canberra (with the passport)
  • Track the progress via their online visa tracker on the Home page every day

Archived