Give The British Divers Who Found the Kids And Their Instructor In The Cave Thai Citizenship And The Highest Civilian Medal.

AdamTheFarang

14 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

One is a fireman, the other is an IT consultant. I'm a bit confused.

I guess you've worked that one out now, many people can do James Bond stuff / SAS / SEALS etc etc who are just doing something as a hobby or a job and are dam good at it. ?

• Like 2

WHY??????? That’s their jobs,that’s what they get payed to do just like doctors, paramedics, fire fighters, and all other rescue crews.they all saves lives every day.

15 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

What about the U.S. Special Operations Command Pacific Search and Rescue team, not much of a mention and they led the operation!

Er, they didn't do anything significant. There was a mention that one of their team is a woman if that's any consolation to you. ☺

• Haha 2

These UK guys did not do this for any reward or monetary reason. It is the effort by them for the sake of humanity that matters most. We as Europeans think differently than our Asian cousins, hence those who took part in this fantastic rescue will definitely receive some form of recognition. The Asian members of the group will almost certainly expect & receive monetary awards, plus various honours bestowed upon them by the Thai government, but the Europeans of the group will not be expecting anything other than a polite "thank you" for their help in the rescue of the boys trapped under ground. It's the Thai mindset here to expect it & you have to understand the culture here ....... events like this are easily forgotten, tragic or otherwise, hence the monetary thing & rewards solve everything .... & they move on.   

Edited by Daveyh
  • Like 1

Somebody had to pop their head out of the rabbit hole & find those kids....It happened to be them....

If these 3 guys were not here it would have been someone else from a another country and the kids still would have been found safely given the efforts of all involved.....

Pretty much end of story....

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Somebody had to pop their head out of the rabbit hole & find those kids....It happened to be them....

If these 3 guys were not here it would have been someone else from a another country and the kids still would have been found safely given the efforts of all involved.....

Pretty much end of story....

Hmmm ....... not so sure about that. The UK guys were lucky to find them & they were the first to admit it. Read previous posts before you post ............ it could have all gone "pear shaped", but for pure luck in surfacing where they did.

• Like 2

Its been annoying me a little bit tbh that the foreign help they have recieved is going un noticed and unappreciated as much as the thai heroes, especially in the thai only media. Theyre taking credit and glory and national

pride as if it was a specificlly thai rescue team that found them alone. 

1 minute ago, Daveyh said:

Hmmm ....... not so sure about that. The UK guys were lucky to find them & they were the first to admit it. Read previous posts before you post ............ it could have all gone "pear shaped", but for pure luck in surfacing where they did.

I know - I posted one of those that you're talking about.....

You mean to say without these guys the kids wouldn't have been found, even though they were in the exact area they expected them to be?

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Er, they didn't do anything significant. There was a mention that one of their team is a woman if that's any consolation to you. ☺

They ran the operation, if that is not significant then what is?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could bring in a clause and give them citizenship on the basis of skilled work (and employ them) or something along those lines. If they have jobs back home though then why would they want it? You wouldn't give citizenship for the actual act of saving the kids though. They saved 13 kids, other people I am sure have spent decades dedicating their lives to thousands of vulnerable people within the country and haven't been recognised once for it. The rescuers probably identify those people as the real heroes as they have dedicated their full lives to a cause - rather than a part of their lives. I think people are getting a little caught up in the hype of it all. Come, do what you enjoy doing, and go home. If that is their hobby, then it isn't too different from a hobby surfer going out into rough waters and using his skills to save drowning kids is it? Should Thailand give citizenship to every surfer who does that? Happens quite often. 

15 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I'm surprised they haven't been arrested for working without a work permit such is Thailand!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

They would have been invited as "experts" doing temporary work for the government. They would have signed some paperwork, but that is all that is required. I do occasional teaching under the same circumstances. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I seriously think the Brits would be the first to acknowledge that they are part of a larger team and credit would be due to all involved. Its sort of why Brits are liked and respected around the world, they are usually not <deleted> when it comes to this sort of thing.

Its just not in the general British mindset, its all about me, where is my reward, I won the competition etc .

With Monty being a notable exception?  Sorry, couldn't resist.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Quite a few Brits here want everyone to know they won the cave diving. 

Looks that way doesn't it.

What we have here has been classed as the biggest international rescue carried out in Thailand (tsunami being contentious). By selecting individuals for specific awards destroys the entire organized event IMO, and I am almost certain these would be the views of the 3 British volunteers as well. They applied their knowledge, integrated into the team and did both excellently, helping complete the first and most important phase by finding the kids alive.

But it is just a partially complete mission at the minute until all of the survivors have been extracted safely. Again, IMO, not exactly the time to be talking about medals and citizenship anyway.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its sort of why Brits are liked and respected around the world, they are usually not <deleted> when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yes many cultures find the English reserve strange, the UK Queen has it down to an art, I have always had the greatest respect for my Queen. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, shackleton said:

I think the word Hero is over used these days 

The British guys did what they are good at plus all the other  people involved in getting a successful outcome

No one does this thinking about getting or expecting a reward

A big thankyou from the rescued  kids and family would probably mean more to them  

All true, but think of the message it sends if they're rewarded with citizenship and a passport, even if it's just to build goodwill for Thailand in the world, and within the expat community. 

Not to mention the incentive to step forward and render assistance in the next emergency.   Even if it was a little bit of a lottery in being the team members in the right place by virtue of their skillset, the assignment they were given, and a lot of luck.

Edited by impulse