Brit getting married in Thailand...

Arcdef

Hi all, 

I understand this may have been done to the death but I am looking for advice on the legal aspects of getting married in Thailand. I am a British citizen marrying my Thai fiance this October in Thailand. So far my research has left me more confused than before! My understanding is that I require an affirmation of marital status, I then need it translating and verifying by the Thai government? 

1) I'm trying to book an appointment with the British embassy but the website shows no appointments. Can I show up on the day and wait or can I obtain this in the UK before I leave?

2) with regards to translating the document and getting it verified where are the best places people have used near the British embassy in Bangkok? Again do I need appointments or just show up on day?

I may have been stupid but there are only 2 days that i will be in Bangkok before flying to phuket to get ready for wedding. It's now seeming impossible that I can get everything done in those 2 days :(

If I've missed anything out then please let me know and any help with my queries or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ash!

Hi Arcdef

Best to ask experts like ' Legally Married in Thailand ' see their website of the same name 

The affidavit must be witnessed in Bangkok at the embassy only. 

If you do it on your own you need to be in Bangkok at least 3 working days to collect your papers after they have been processed by the Foreign Ministry. Again Legally Married in Thailand can help. 

Yes, you need a British embassy appointment well ahead of time. It can be booked on Mondays or Tuesdays, Thursday and Fridays ONLY now. 

Legally Married in Thailand, will also help in registering you in Phuket. So you only need to go to the British embassy for the 20-minute appointment then head south and they will take you to register in Phuket and supply the now required translator and witness. 

Hope that helps 

Get an agent, explain your case, and it will have a fast solution, if you REALLY need to rush into marriage. If not, just wait. You may ask your self why you are in that hurry, and you may change your mind.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

Get an agent, explain your case, and it will have a fast solution, if you REALLY need to rush into marriage. If not, just wait. You may ask your self why you are in that hurry, and you may change your mind.

Whoops, looks like the “experts” have shown up. What makes you think this guy is rushing into anything? For all you know, he has known young lady for years.

• Like 1

You do not need any paperwork from your embassy, nor either translated or certified before the ceremony.  You do not even need a formal marriage ceremony. You can go to the local Amphur's office present all required the paperwork (both yours and hers) and pay the registration fee. When they hand back the stamped marriage certificate you're married. You are not legally married until you register.  The wife and I had the ceremony in Feb. but didn't register until Dec. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Be prepared for the municipal office to tell you that they need to send the paperwork back to MFA  to verify that it is not false. My recent experience at Banlamung, waited 21 days. New rules at many Amphurs, due to corruption and false marriages.

You can use an agent to do the awkward bits or you can do it all yourself but the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry must be done by by you personally and only by appointment at the British Embassy, Bangkok.

The affirmation is required by the Thai Registry Office (Amphur) to legally register your marriage. Once you have the affirmation you have to get it translated into Thai and that translation must be certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Laksi - that's the awkward bit. Its used to be that you could do that it one day but not now.  If you are able to get there early enough (difficult) you might get the certified copy back the next day. Its a real pain consisting of visiting lots of windows and lots of photocopies - Thai styli.

(Unfortunately) I've done it both ways and much prefer an agent doing it.  There are plenty of translation agencies near the embassy - either near or on Mahatun Plaza at Phloenchit on Sukhumvit Road - less than 10 minutes walk from the embassy.  Most translation agencies will translate your documents AND take them up to the MFA at Laksi for you for not a lot of cash - believe me, its worth it.  The norm is if you get to them before lunchtime, you can pick up the completed documents the next day. You are likely to be approached by touts offering to do the translation and the MFA certification as you leave the embassy - personally I would ignore these people.

Some Indian guys tried faking their documents a couple of years ago which threw a bit of a spanner in the works which resulted in some Amphurs refusing to register Thai/Foreigner marriages and others requiring additional documents and translations, they also started enforcing an existing law that requires you to have an English translator present when you register the marriage. The additional documents usually consist of just your passport and translation thereof which also needs certifying and Laksi.  You need to state where you intend registering your marriage on the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry so the best way is to get your Mrs to check with that Amphur as to what documents they want you to have and any other requirements.  You should also note that for this type of marriage, the manager of the Amphur is supposed to be present so try to make sure he/she will be.  Normally you need 2 witnesses to be present at the registration - one of which can be your translator.  Amphurs don't usually make appointments for marriage registrations but get there early as they get busy.

So, subject to the Amphur of your choice agreeing to marry you and anything additional documents they may require, the procedure is.

1. Decide which Amphur you will register your marriage at and get your Mrs to check what they require.

2. Make and attend an appointment at the British Embassy to obtain your affirmation.

3. Take your affirmation and any other required documents to a translation agency and have them translated.

4. Either take these translations to the Thai MFA for certification or let the translation agent do it.

5. Pick up your certified documents and you're good to go.

6. Attend the Amphur with your witnesses and of course, your intended ?

Best of luck - don't expect anything romantic at the Amphur, it is very much a registration process.  For Thai's, the most important bit is the ceremonial wedding which often takes place at your Mrs's home followed by a party afterwards.

The only part that's recognised in both Thai and English law is the registration at the Amphur.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad/y/thailand/opposite_sex

Edited by KhaoYai

10 minutes ago, happylarry said:

You dont need to pay multi thousands to an agent.....

I can't remember how much I was charged for the translation and taking it to the MFA but it certainly wasn't 'multiple thousands'.  A figure of 1600 baht comes to mind. Easy to get your Mrs to check beforehand.

Edited by KhaoYai

+1 for an agent. I was planning to get married a few years back and arranged it through an agent in Pattaya. For a reasonable fee they would prepare all the paperwork and do the translations, drive us to my embassy in BKK to get the required doc, then to an office in BKK to register the marriage. Everything was well set up and streamlined and IMO well worth the extra it would cost compared to DIY and saving a couple thousand baht. However, a couple days before going ahead I had a change of heart and backed out of it. If I was to consider marriage again it would be through an agent.

• Like 1

Just noticed your mention of having difficulty making an appointment at the British Embassy.  A few people on another forum have reported the same problem. One guy said he treid making appointments months ahead and couldn't. I don't know the answer to that but you may have to call or email them.

[email protected]

13 hours ago, Arcdef said:

1) I'm trying to book an appointment with the British embassy but the website shows no appointments. Can I show up on the day and wait or can I obtain this in the UK before I leave?

The system can only be booked up to 3 months ahead, hence why you cannot see the available dates as yet, these will start for October as August progresses.

• Like 1

Just an additional bit of information. Hopefully the situation has eased now but should you have any problems with an Amphur saying they will not do a Thai/Foreigner registration.  Our chosen Amphur refused but I contacted the British Embassy for advice and explained this to a very nice lady who not only contacted the Amphur and smoothed things out, she also phoned my fiance and explained the whole process as she was a little confused.

Edited by KhaoYai

46 minutes ago, happylarry said:

You dont need to pay multi thousands to an agent......just get your affirmation to marry from the Embassy and then take it to one of the many translation shops dotted around the Embassy area and get them to translate it and stamp it at the MFA and then they will post it onto your address in Phuket for you, all for a nominal charge.

British Embassy, nominal charge?????? I wonder what your idea is of nominal. :cheesy:

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

I can't remember how much I was charged for the translation and taking it to the MFA but it certainly wasn't 'multiple thousands'.  A figure of 1600 baht comes to mind. Easy to get your Mrs to check beforehand.

KhaoYai When I talk about an agent it means a marriage agent who does the whole caboudle and charges twenty up.

i also think about 1600 is right for the translation and stamping service.

HL

1 hour ago, tweedledee2 said:

I believe I stated that fact by the quote "all the required paperwork".

Yes, just making sure the OP understands the difference between a ceremonial marriage and legal registration - some don't.

I've helped many couples threw this process. If you can't make an appointment at the UK embassy and get them to notorize your documents then you wont be able to legally marry in Thailand. The security guard wont let you into the embassy grounds without an appointment.  Wait until you get home.

2 hours ago, Media1 said:

Leave all the money in your home country account and have only what you need here. Tell her only the mininum.information

Good Luck.

Good advice, but I think this one is just going to fly straight over the top of the OP's head.

20 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Just noticed your mention of having difficulty making an appointment at the British Embassy.  A few people on another forum have reported the same problem. One guy said he treid making appointments months ahead and couldn't. I don't know the answer to that but you may have to call or email them.

[email protected]

Terrible

So after the appointment at the embassy, its a simple as given the paper to a agent and returning the next day to the agent to collect the translated and stamped by the office in Laksi?

No need to do anything else?

Any pointers then for a decent agent?

Silverdales see below.

With the docs the embassy gave you and your passport in hand. Go to the MFA and use translating service inside the MFA building. Take the escalator to the first floor and you'll see the translating service as you step off. No need to look for an agent. This office can take care of the translating and rubber stamping. The process takes 5 days. If you don''t want to wait.  They can post the docs to your home address via EMS.

Edited by Damaz6052