Rescuers ponder how to extract boys from flooded Thai cave as more rain due

webfact

21 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Now is the time start with the strongest boy

There is no time !

Yes, horrible as it sounds they could bring out some of the stronger kids, making it less people to deal with. Of course their coach will stay. 

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

An inflatable one (And I was referring to the main waterways , and there will be some places where they will have to dive)Image result for boat inflatable

I'm sorry, I just fell off my chair. 

But I do think an inflatable tube would be perfect. 

images (1).jpeg

19 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

This says all... Just now. Channel 7 News.

A Thai Navy Seal volunteer died diving too long bringing help for the kids.

Sad news, it seems like everyone is overworked and pushing themselves too hard. It takes a navy seal 5-6 hours to make it from the boys to base camp. Imagine how a fragile boy can even make it one way without knowing how to swim and is not mentally prepared yet. Those that keep on saying they should dive and get out, its a big mistake. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

This says all... Just now. Channel 7 News.

A Thai Navy Seal volunteer died diving too long bringing help for the kids.

No questioning how dangerous diving here is. Forget the insane idea of the kids swimming out. This mountain is saturated with water and a sudden downpour it will become like the Colorado River in a matter of minutes, not hours. Immediate steps to insure the kids safety include getting oxygen to their area and determining the highest spot for them to ride it out. A large low-pressure system is building to the west so there is not much time. RIP to the brave Seal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Sad news, it seems like everyone is overworked and pushing themselves too hard. It takes a navy seal 5-6 hours to make it from the boys to base camp. Imagine how a fragile boy can even make it one way without knowing how to swim and is not mentally prepared yet. Those that keep on saying they should dive and get out, its a big mistake. 

Not to mention the fact there is going to be a better than even chance of heavy rain during that 5-6 hour span which would likely be fatal to anyone in transit. The mountain is saturated like a sponge and any rains force water out of the limestone almost instantaneously. If this cave took out this veteran Seal these kids would have no chance. No time left, prepare a safe place for the team NOW.

6 hours ago, JAZZDOG said:

Your plan to strap and weight them down and drag them through very small holes in rock for long distances shows you know little or nothing about being underwater. Much less dark water with strong currents.

It's not my idea. It has been stated by the British Cave Rescue Council that this is probably the only feasible option. I would suggest that they know more than a little about being underwater, in the dark, with strong currents.

Watch the video below;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44734385

Edited by Fish Head Soup
Add link

On 7/5/2018 at 10:08 AM, bluesofa said:

image.png.8548b3c9e8c4c919e109c6be38c27d70.png

How does that depth marker work?

As there are two guys standing next to it, I'm assuming it must be about 1.05m.

The centimetres appear clear, but without a reference to compare it to, surely you don't know it's 1 metre-odd?

Do those "E" marks indicate the number of metres somehow?

Or have I missed something obvious?

its showing approx. 100cm. at water level. The number "70" at his head level is showing 1.7M the "E" marks are to show every 5cm. increments. the one meter mark is just under the water and the 2 meter mark is out of the photo frame.

0-10cm 20-30cm 40-50cm 60-70cm 80-90cm  1M-1.1m 1.2M-1.3M etc...

Edited by Tony Hanscomb
detail