Here’s where Thailand ranked in a survey on the world’s best countries

webfact

Here’s where Thailand ranked in a survey on the world’s best countries

59dca1e41e875_big.jpg

FILE photo

For the second year running Switzerland has been ranked as the world’s best country, according to the Best Countries Ranking by the U.S News and World Report.

Thailand meanwhile was ranked in 27th place out of 80 countries surveyed, the second highest ranking for a southeast Asian country, behind Singapore which was ranked in 16th place.

No Southeast Asian country featured in the top 10, with Japan (5th) and Australia (7th) the highest ranking Asia-Pacific countries.

The survey is designed to help people understand how nations are perceived on a global scale.

The rankings were decided after the respondents 21,000 respondents were were asked to evaluate 80 countries on 65 attributes such as power, citizenship, economic influence and quality of live, which helped to determine each country’s success as a modern nation.

rank.png

“Behind a country’s wealth and success are the policies that create possibilities, the people that drive the effort and the history that shapes the environment and perspective”, the report read.

“Globalization has expanded a country’s presence beyond its physical borders, and the 2018 Best Countries rankings seek to understand a nation’s worth beyond hard metrics.

“The 2018 Best Countries report and rankings are based on how global perceptions define countries in terms of a number of qualitative characteristics, impressions that have the potential to drive trade, travel and investment and directly affect national economies.

“Eighty nations – up from 60 in the inaugural rankings – were measured in the report”.

Thailand scored highly on attributes including ‘Movers’ in recognition of it being considered an up and coming economy. It also scored well on ‘Heritage’ and ‘Adventure’, where it was ranked in 4th place overall, where it was noted for being ‘fun’, ‘scenic’, having a ‘pleasant climate’, ‘friendly’ and ‘sexy’.

Other areas where Thailand scored well were for  its food, affordability and cheap manufacturing costs, as well as for being ‘distinctive’, ‘different’ and ‘unique’.

Thailand didn’t score well in ‘safety’, ‘political stability’, ‘education’, ‘public health’ and ‘income equality’.

Earlier this year U.S News and World Report ranked Thailand as the best country in the world to start a business.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-07-05

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Best Countries Ranking by the U.S News and World Report.

Interesting reading in the full story here. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/thailand

They have the breakdowns of some of the individual rankings which is worth a look. Like Citizenship with an overall score of 0.6. Entrepreneurship with 1.4 (particular attention to Education Population, 0.3) and Power at 0.5.

The write-up about Thailand contains some truths, a few exaggerations and a few laughs. Like the photo of the monk reading the classifieds with one of their creaky old trains in the background. And the comment...... "The nation is home to the acclaimed Thai massage"

26 minutes ago, lionsincity said:

I would say the poster of this nonsense has more than a few screws loose.

Maybe he is talking about “ the other Switzerland” .... more fake news please, more alternative facts please.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

You are little confused. Maybe you are thinking about Swaziland. 

Swaziland is  excellent..

When you come to think about it  virtually anywhere without Caucasians spewing their internet guts  out is a great place to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

??? Care to back those claims up with some statistics?

Unless you mean Sweden, the country famous for its open borders and left wing politics, which the right wing racist snowflakes of the world hate to see successful, so they make up all kind of BS about the country. 

I’m I beg to differ but the libtards are the snowflakes!

8 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

I’m I beg to differ but the libtards are the snowflakes!

When you hear someone complaining about crime in Switzerland I can assure you they sound like fragile little snowflakes, in fact all the cowards fearing immigrants sound like fragile little snowflakes, did you think expressing cowardliness would make you sound strong?

• Like 2

all these country rankings are nonsense.

they should make different country rankings for men/women of different ages, situations and aspirations, lifestyles.

I for one, don't like living in Switzerland because it's oppressing, dull, boring, depressive, rainy, cold and expensive.

Sure, it's also safe, clean and a good place to raise children, but from my point of view the negatives largely outweigh the positives.

2 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

Read the write up on a few other countries. Who comes up with this kind of ranking, I wonder. to me all seems to be quite subjective.

It certainly  is!

I had a splendid time in Archangel myself but that does not necessarily mean that I would recommend it to anyone else.

• Like 1

Thailand might be 27 th as the best country in the world but its no1 for the most road deaths Keep up the good work Thailand Soon there will be a new plan by the Transport Dept to fix this. I heard it will  try and make Thais  Know the road rules and respect them a Success rate of this plan 5% is expected:WPFflags:

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Switzerland???? Are you f.......    kidding me. Women can't go out in the streets for fear of being raped, crime is rampant caused by migrants?  Professional people especially women are leaving the country in droves. Garbage and feces all over the streets. The writers of this has more than a few screws loose.

switzerland 41 murders = 0.50 per 100,000 people

thailand there were more than 3,000 homicides by a firearm in thailand - a rate of 4.45 deaths per 100,000 people, according to research by the University of Washington. if add all counts of murder it is aprox 4,000 - 4,200 murders = 5.8 - 6.1 per 100,000 people 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/gun-violence-in-thailand-a-problem-that-can-t-be-solved-10124114

rape rate 

thailand 32,000 rapes = 47 per 100,000 people. 

switzerland 6.4 per 100,000 people.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/most-thailands-rape-victims-are-students/

Edited by ta158
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, manarak said:

all these country rankings are nonsense.

they should make different country rankings for men/women of different ages, situations and aspirations, lifestyles.

I for one, don't like living in Switzerland because it's oppressing, dull, boring, depressive, rainy, cold and expensive.

Sure, it's also safe, clean and a good place to raise children, but from my point of view the negatives largely outweigh the positives.

These rankings are not intended to be guides, they are just a way of presenting their data.

2 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

These rankings are not intended to be guides, they are just a way of presenting their data.

they are still rankings.

high ranking = good, low ranking = bad.

but it's a biaised ranking because made based on the alleged preferences of one group.

4 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Swaziland is  excellent..

When you come to think about it  virtually anywhere without Caucasians spewing their internet guts  out is a great place to be.

That would have to be a country without access to internet, right?