Turning a 2 year temporary license into a full 5 year one?

Does anyone know if there's any steps at all to turn a 2 year temporary license into a 5 year one with a Thai Elite visa? I used to have a full 5 year license and recently renewed it but only got a 2 year temp license, which I can no longer use back in the UK. I tried applying for a UK license but was told I need to be in the country more than 185 days in the country the year I apply.

Thanks for any help!

1 hour ago, ha55ha said:

Does anyone know if there's any steps at all to turn a 2 year temporary license into a 5 year one with a Thai Elite visa? I used to have a full 5 year license and recently renewed it but only got a 2 year temp license, which I can no longer use back in the UK. 

Quite simple. Wait until there is not more than 3 months validly on your temporary licence then make sure that you have one of the correct visas or extensions of stay, then renew the licence you will get a 5 year one. (Minimum visa non-O, minimum extension of stay probably 3 months, 1 year extension is certainly OK)

AFIK you are not able to renew any earlier than the 3 months before expiration date.

You can certainly go into any LTO (or even many) and ask if very much earlier renewal is possible, however I don't think you will Be lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hakancnx said:

If one is on tourist visa, you only get 2 years temporary DL.

And the Elite visa is tourist one.  

Am I correct or not ?

Yes, you are correct regarding the license.

For 5 year license non-immigrant visa or extension of stay is required.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Quite simple. Wait until there is not more than 3 months validly on your temporary licence then make sure that you have one of the correct visas or extensions of stay, then renew the licence you will get a 5 year one. (Minimum visa non-O, minimum extension of stay probably 3 months, 1 year extension is certainly OK)

AFIK you are not able to renew any earlier than the 3 months before expiration date.

You can certainly go into any LTO (or even many) and ask if very much earlier renewal is possible, however I don't think you will Be lucky.

Just done mine this morning, In Kanchanaburi.

2 year temp motorcycle expired 1/7/18.......

I had New style medical certificate, which now included heaght, weight, blood pressure and colour recognition test......copy all passport pages, letter from city hall signed by them and the house owner for my renten property. Copy rental agreement.

Only had to do depth perception, reaction , another colour test, and peripheral vision tests.

In and out 45 mins with a new 5 year licence, which is effectively 6 years as dated  from my next birthday May 2019....

I am on a retirememt extension.

Edited by imaderbyfan

3 hours ago, hakancnx said:

If one is on tourist visa, you only get 2 years temporary DL.

And the Elite visa is tourist one.  

Am I correct or not ?

Yup, one of the pitfalls of the Elite visa !, seems ironic to me that someone who shells out a lump of cash for a 5 year visa should be labelled as a tourist .

• Like 2

Sorry for the bit off topic: Does this then mean that a TE-Visa Holder (being a "tourist") can make a valid Thai Will ? You may stay long with a TE-Visa and therefore assume long temporary residency and many use it as a substitute for a non-O with annual extensions.

I had New style medical certificate, which now included heaght, weight, blood pressure and colour recognition test......copy all passport pages, letter from city hall signed by them and the house owner for my renten property. Copy rental agreement.
Only had to do depth perception, reaction , another colour test, and peripheral vision tests.
In and out 45 mins with a new 5 year licence, which is effectively 6 years as dated  from my next birthday May 2019....

Did the doctor provide the new style medical certificate? I.e. you didn't need to ask for the new style

How you can be resident (I assume you are if holding a TE-Visa) and a tourist at the same time ? Does this tourist then need to pay tax ? I assume yes. And now: A TE-Visa holder may not have an ordinary Thai driving license despite a probable 10 year visa ? What a joke if this is true

There must be some misunderstanding here concerning what a TE-Visa holder may do and may not do. I assume if all the disadvantages would apply you are saying then nobody would consider a TE as a retiree (including the possibillity to issue a valid will - crucial for a retiree). But I understand many do and they seem to be delighted.

Edited by moogradod

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
2 hours ago, imaderbyfan said:

Did the doctor provide the new style medical certificate? I.e. you didn't need to ask for the new style

Yes he did....

Was clearly well aware of what is now required....

1 hour ago, moogradod said:

How you can be resident (I assume you are if holding a TE-Visa) and a tourist at the same time ? Does this tourist then need to pay tax ? I assume yes. And now: A TE-Visa holder may not have an ordinary Thai driving license despite a probable 10 year visa ? What a joke if this is true

There must be some misunderstanding here concerning what a TE-Visa holder may do and may not do. I assume if all the disadvantages would apply you are saying then nobody would consider a TE as a retiree (including the possibillity to issue a valid will - crucial for a retiree). But I understand many do and they seem to be delighted.

Nobody seems to be interested in possible restrictions for TE-Visa holders - incl. Driving License limitations, so I will open a seperate thread - for this might be of some really big importance to me.

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

Was that 5 year DL expired long ago ?

If yes, it means you are counted as a fresh man and perhaps you will receive a 5 year DL Next time. 

My 5 year driving license expired in December 2017 which I got when I had an education visa. I renewed it in May this year. They told me at the office that I was only allowed a 2 year temporary license now and I tried my best to talk them round but unfortunately they wouldn't budge.

Is it possibly to temporarily get another visa or extension of stay to then try renew my license again for a 5 year one? Or is there any Driving LTO office where they might be slightly more lenient? 

2 minutes ago, ha55ha said:

My 5 year driving license expired in December 2017 which I got when I had an education visa. I renewed it in May this year. They told me at the office that I was only allowed a 2 year temporary license now and I tried my best to talk them round but unfortunately they wouldn't budge.

That's what I suspected when I first asked you. Normally they allow up to one month but after that the process starts again and you're stuck with it I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, one of the pitfalls of the Elite visa !, seems ironic to me that someone who shells out a lump of cash for a 5 year visa should be labelled as a tourist .

I don't know if that is correct. My son has an Elite visa and obtained a 5 year car and bike license no problems. I think because an Elite visa is also a long stay visa with 12 month extensions, different from a tourist visa.

2 minutes ago, logres212 said:

I don't know if that is correct. My son has an Elite visa and obtained a 5 year car and bike license no problems. I think because an Elite visa is also a long stay visa with 12 month extensions, different from a tourist visa.

Maybe the rules have changed or your son got lucky ?

I don’t have the Elite visa myself and was only quoting what several posters had stated on a thread on here a while ago.

Hopefully common sense has prevailed and Elite visa holders everywhere can get a 5 year DL...... but I feel that is unlikely !!

15 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

That's what I suspected when I first asked you. Normally they allow up to one month but after that the process starts again and you're stuck with it I'm afraid.

I was told I had 6 months to renew to license. If I'd have known I would be lumped with a 2 year temp license I'd have gone before my old one had expired ?

Very annoying

In your case “perhaps” you have received 2 year temp since your type of visa has changed. 

I would just hang on to 2 years temp for now then see what will happen next time, if I were you.

40 minutes ago, ha55ha said:

Is it possibly to temporarily get another visa or extension of stay to then try renew my license again for a 5 year one? Or is there any Driving LTO office where they might be slightly more lenient? 

Edited by The Theory

From another thread, dated 1/21/17 - maybe things have changed since then, so I suggest you check with Thailand Elite directly:

I received the following response from TE Visa:

"Greetings from Thailand Elite…

Regarding your enquiry about the info on International driving license application and Thai driving license renewal, please be advised that when we first established the company and introduced the visa, our visa’s purpose is for foreigners who want to visit Thailand often and want to enjoy their life in Thailand more and more.  Our Thailand Elite visa was then at the time categorized as a kind of tourist visa, but a very special stand-alone kind of one.  We have to admit that our previous early management did not foresee this point so that was why our visa is only applicable to renew for a two-year Thai driver’s license at a time.  We understand that it seems unreasonable when the visa is five years term but you can’t renew for a five years driving license. Moreover, please be noted that under Department of Land transport regulation a 5 year Thai driving license is required to use for applying IDP in Thailand."

So, it seems clear that I should not be able to renew my 2 year DL for a 5 year DL with a PE Visa in my passport, which does not qualify me for an IDP.  I suspect that as more Offices of Land Transportation become familiar with the PE Visa, getting a 5 year DL becomes a roll of the dice at best.  For those who can maintain a DL in their home country, a TE Visa may work, but not for me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Theory said:

In your case “perhaps” you have received 2 year temp since your type of visa has changed. 

I would just hang on to 2 years temp for now then see what will happen next time, if I were you.

I was asked for my visa for my first licence application. After that, just a confirmation of address. I guess, like with most things Thai, it depends on which Land Transport Office you apply to.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I was asked for my visa for my first licence application. After that, just a confirmation of address. I guess, like with most things Thai, it depends on which Land Transport Office you apply to.

I agree, there is no certain rules. Sometimes the person who is in charge at the desk decides for the day. It has happened to me when I went to Minburi office for 2nd time. The rule changed by the person who was at the time behind the desk, however I heard a different way from different person a week before. This is story of Immigration offices as well. Different office, different rules, however all in the same country. 

21 hours ago, ha55ha said:

You clearly had a different (short stay or elite) visa when you renewed your licence in May 

To get a 5 year licence Wait March 2020 when there is not more than 3 months validly on your temporary licence then make sure that you have one of the correct visas or extensions of stay, then renew the licence you will get a 5 year one. (Minimum visa non-O, )

You can certainly go into any LTO (or even many) and ask if very much earlier renewal is possible, however I don't think you will Be lucky.

You can renew your licence at any LTO office, so it's OK to try any office.

On 7/6/2018 at 11:43 AM, moogradod said:

Sorry for the bit off topic: Does this then mean that a TE-Visa Holder (being a "tourist") can make a valid Thai Will ? You may stay long with a TE-Visa and therefore assume long temporary residency and many use it as a substitute for a non-O with annual extensions.

There is no relationship between making a valid Thai will and your status of residence in Thailand. You could be in Thailand illegally and still make a valid Thai will. You could, of course have a few problems if you then want to register it in your Amper, but Amper registration is a convenience not a requirement. 

On 7/6/2018 at 6:31 PM, The Theory said:

I agree, there is no certain rules. Sometimes the person who is in charge at the desk decides for the day. It has happened to me when I went to Minburi office for 2nd time. The rule changed by the person who was at the time behind the desk, however I heard a different way from different person a week before. This is story of Immigration offices as well. Different office, different rules, however all in the same country. 

There are definite rules you can find them on the LTO website and I have often posted them.

However the enforcement of them or additions to them is a local choice, as is your use of any LTO office. If you don't like one just go to another it's up to you, you aren't limited to any particular office.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a similar issue. When my UK license was about to expire, I played by the rules (silly me) and didn't renew it due to the rule of needing a UK address to renew driving license. Now I'm planning a UK trip in July and trying to renew my license but the DVLA website is saying I can't renew online so have to renew at a post office, which obviously I can't do, being in Thailand. This is annoying because, if I apply at post office on day 1 of my trip, by the time I wait for the post office to get my renewed license back to me (takes 3 weeks) my trip will be pretty much over. 

I have a 2 year Thai license of of following type: Private Car Driving Licence (Temporary)

This is my first Thai driving license 

From the comments in this thread it sounds like I can't use this in the UK as it's not regarded as a 'full' license. But someone said earlier in the thread that temporary licenses are given to people on tourist visas and 5 year licences are given to those on long term visas. I am on a non-B visa, so should I have been given a 5 year license? If so, can I go and get it changed?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have a similar issue. When my UK license was about to expire, I played by the rules (silly me) and didn't renew it due to the rule of needing a UK address to renew driving license. Now I'm planning a UK trip in July and trying to renew my license but the DVLA website is saying I can't renew online so have to renew at a post office, which obviously I can't do, being in Thailand. This is annoying because, if I apply at post office on day 1 of my trip, by the time I wait for the post office to get my renewed license back to me (takes 3 weeks) my trip will be pretty much over. 

I have a 2 year Thai license of of following type: Private Car Driving Licence (Temporary)
This is my first Thai driving license 
From the comments in this thread it sounds like I can't use this in the UK as it's not regarded as a 'full' license. But someone said earlier in the thread that temporary licenses are given to people on tourist visas and 5 year licences are given to those on long term visas. I am on a non-B visa, so should I have been given a 5 year license? If so, can I go and get it changed?

Regarding your UK license, I renewed mine recently in the UK ( i have retained a uk address ), I went to the post office as online wasn’t possible ( I think due to the fact i was renewing 6 months before expiry? ). My intention was to get the form from post office and use the postal service but I noticed they had an online booth so did it that way, the guy took my old license and cut it in half, then gave me a receipt !! I hadn’t expected him to cut it up and was a little surprised as I thought i was supposed to post it on after receiving new one.
Anyhoo, he told me two weeks but it arrived after one week so all was good.

Regarding your Thai license, I haven’t used mine in the uk but there are threads on it on or open a new one “ using 2 year Thai driving licence in uk “ for example. I seem to think some rental companies will accept it but not 100% sure on that.
If you start a thread dedicated to this topic you will get your answers.

Your first Thai license is a two year temporary ( used to be one year ) and upon renewal you will get a five year license ( actually 5 years then up to your next birthday, i got 5 1/2 years ) if you have a non imm visa or extension.

If you are on a two year and only have a tourist visa ( or Elite visa ) you will only get issued with another two year license valid for exactly 2 years.

Hello all

A post just jolted my memory so thought I would look for this 

I'm here this time on Visa Exempt & will be leaving before my 2 yr Temp Lisc expire 4/8 

would I be able to get another 2 yr Temp on Visa exempt since I would not be able to get the 5 yr

Also do I need to do Medical ect 

Thanks in adv

On 5/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, BEVUP said:

Hello all

A post just jolted my memory so thought I would look for this 

I'm here this time on Visa Exempt & will be leaving before my 2 yr Temp Lisc expire 4/8 

would I be able to get another 2 yr Temp on Visa exempt since I would not be able to get the 5 yr

Also do I need to do Medical ect 

Thanks in adv

Usually not more than 3 months before expiration 

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

IMG_7462.thumb.PNG.7516beda1fcba247987dca21abfce40a.PNG