Thailand relaxes work permit laws for foreigners

webfact

On 7/6/2018 at 12:31 AM, coulson said:

Seems so practical and sensible, where's the catch?

Where ? I had a work permit (for running a bar) for several years, and as part of the application I had to sign a document saying I was making 80,000 Bht per month, even though during the low season the profits were zero.

One then has to pay taxes on the 80 G, even though on many months the profit after paying wages etc were next to zilch, and after paying the taxes they were often 20 G less than zilch ?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, Sir Dude said:

They must be feeling the pinch in some way for them to have relaxed WP regs...usually, for a long time now, compromise has been non-negotiable on this one and only the tightening of the screw the other way has been OK.

next theyll be saying "buy a condo in Thailand and get free visa" oooops hang on didnt they do something like  that bef....

On 7/6/2018 at 2:42 PM, Rhys said:

.. for teachers get rid of the syphilis test  (VDLR) every year... especially for the long timers... Hmm the mentality ...of it all. 

is that because in the "long timers" group the assumption is they all have syphilis already??

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

There was an "actual formal public announcement by the government" of the  Decree No.2 (Section 101) but you apparently missed it, as did I: the publication of this decree in the Government Gazette.

Maestro, do you know, is the Government Gazette a] available in an EN language version, and/or b] available online?

1 hour ago, atyclb said:

is that because in the "long timers" group the assumption is they all have syphilis already??

Or perhaps it's meaning that teachers never have sex, therefore absolutely no need for a syphilis test.

What?? A foreigner can just live here now and work if the activity is deemed “beneficial to Thailand and the people”? Is there a list of at least a general definition of what classified as beneficial? Can I get the whole decree in English somewhere?

Thanks

21 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Lower fines for break the law, that's it. 

Since the lowered fines are both for the worker AND the employer, I'd assume this new language will make it easier / more inviting for those Thai companies that want to exploit foreign workers by trying to hire them on the cheap without providing work permits.

19 minutes ago, Maeht said:

What?? A foreigner can just live here now and work if the activity is deemed “beneficial to Thailand and the people”? Is there a list of at least a general definition of what classified as beneficial? Can I get the whole decree in English somewhere?

There's probably a sliding scale chart they'll use once you get arrested for working without a work permit.

Anything under 10K baht in the way of a bribe will be considered NOT beneficial. 10-50K baht gets you into the possibly beneficial territory. And over 50K baht most likely will mean definitely beneficial. Plan accordingly... :cheesy:

This could be seriously good news for both professional expats and Thailand as a whole. Having received BOI approval earlier this year, the biggest remaining headache is the visa situation - my SMART Visa application was a nightmarish paper production frenzy that led to a very expensive refusal just last month.

If I'm reading this right, a Foreign Business Certificate holder no longer needs a WP. I'm holding off the celebrations until I can confirm this, but it looks like I might (after spending ten months "making paper"), finally be able to finally start doing some real business here soon and have the opportunity to come good on my promise of transferring some tech skills. Add to that the easing of short term visiting professional's requirements and we're looking at something that actually works for all concerned.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Maestro, do you know, is the Government Gazette a] available in an EN language version, and/or b] available online?

Thai only. The gazette is one of the most horrible government websites I've had the displeasure of browsing. Add to that the usual local interpretations of what goes in there and SNAFU.

22 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I have seen a combination of the Thai and unofficial English translation published in the form of a printed booklet for each issue of the Gazette by an outfit called International Translations in Bangkok, which in the 1970s was located on Silom Road but they later moved, I believe to Wireless Road. They made the booklets available on a subscription basis and my employer had such a subscription, and also sold individual issues to walk-in customers but you had to know either the year and issue number or the publication date of the document you were looking for to enable them to find what you wanted.

Today, the government-published Gazette, in Thai only, can be found online at http://www.mratchakitcha.soc.go.th, perhaps also on http://www.krisdika.go.th

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thai only. The gazette is one of the most horrible government websites I've had the displeasure of browsing. Add to that the usual local interpretations of what goes in there and SNAFU.

What website link have you been using?

This could be seriously good news for both professional expats and Thailand as a whole. Having received BOI approval earlier this year, the biggest remaining headache is the visa situation - my SMART Visa application was a nightmarish paper production frenzy that led to a very expensive refusal just last month.

If I'm reading this right, a Foreign Business Certificate holder no longer needs a WP. I'm holding off the celebrations until I can confirm this, but it looks like I might (after spending ten months "making paper"), finally be able to finally start doing some real business here soon and have the opportunity to come good on my promise of transferring some tech skills. Add to that the easing of short term visiting professional's requirements and we're looking at something that actually works for all concerned.
I wish you good luck and please keep us updated. Could be some small revolution if the recent changes are applied in a way that foreigners can profit.

Thanks
I'm waiting as well for a explanation from the government on this.
Like a list of sectors and professions that apply for this rule.

22 hours ago, Maeht said:

Thanks

I can't find your quote "beneficial to Thailand and the people" anywhere in this topic. Can you give the link to the corresponding post or to the web page from which you copied that text?

54 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

http://www.mratchakitcha.soc.go.th

Using the search function reminds me of the text games of the 80's. Finding the right words to get a hit takes 99% of the time.

Last time I used it was to find the cabinet resolutions for the elite visas. Took hours.

You have a good point there. Without at least part of the Thai title of this decree or the number or publication date of the issue of the Gazette where it was published, you can spend hours trying to find it. 

Duensing Kippen says : 

On 27 March 2018 the Emergency Decree on Non-Thais’ Working Management (No.2) (2018) (“Decree No. 2”) was issued.

This leaves open the question whether 27 March 2018 was the date when the decree was signed or the date of the Gazette in which it was published.

Tilleke & Gibbins says:

The Royal Decree on Managing the Work of Foreigners (No. 2) B.E. 2561 (2018) came into effect on March 28, 2018

This leaves open the question on what date it was published in the Gazette.

This looks like it could be the publication, in Thai, of the Royal Decree on Managing the Work of Foreigners (No. 2) B.E. 2561 (2018 )

http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2561/A/019/29.PDF

The Thai title of the document is พระราชกำหนด การบริหารจัดการการทำงานของคนต่างด้าว (ฉบับที่ ๒) พ.ศ. ๒๕๖๑, the Google translation of which is "Royal Decree on the Management of Alien Work (No.". The date of publication in the Government Gazette, shown at the top right of the documents page, is 27 March 2018

1 hour ago, Davedub said:

I *think* I may have found a scan of the Thai version:

http://www.krabiimmigration.go.th/book/2-e2.html

What you have stumbled upon there is a Royal Decree published in the Gazette on 27 March, the title of which Google translates as "Emergency Decree Amending the Immigration Act, 1979"

This is a nice trouvaille and I shall start a topic about it in the Visa forum.

I can't find your quote "beneficial to Thailand and the people" anywhere in this topic. Can you give the link to the corresponding post or to the web page from which you copied that text?

It is a little bit longer than I expected but it is real thing,worth reading it. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8_3JDBToIM4aa3jMWOKuLW32OEENXLS/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my ASUS_X018D using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived