Rescue Hope! Oxygen Reaching Cave 13

rooster59

Rescue Hope! Oxygen Reaching Cave 13

By Jintamas Saksornchai and Todd Ruiz

1530900184513-1-696x463.jpg

CHIANG RAI — Oxygen tanks are being opened in the chamber where 13 people are trapped by flooding to prevent them from suffocating, the former governor who has led the operation said early Saturday morning.

After meeting for hours with rescue primaries to determine a course of action, Narongsak Osottanakorn announced just after midnight that all plans are being evaluated and the children and coach trapped inside the cave have been stabilized for now.

Swimming out apparently remains the most plausible of a set of bad or stymied options this point.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/07/07/rescue-hope-oxygen-reaching-cave-13/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-07

Did you think about it could release the water faster ? since it got air and water  and flow out faster without any bottle restrictions? 

Seriously drilling in to the place they sitting, will damage the roof and kill them all! It is not an option! 

There have to bee a crack to get out!

Edited by Hummin

In the videos posted in another topic you could hear the labored breathing of the Australian and Thai navy seals as they were moving about. They looked to be extremely fit and they did not seem to be exerting a whole lot of energy so it may mean the air s very thin in side the cave.

I reckon! they are going to focus the media attention on this plight increasingly to keep the focus of the disaster that has just played out with the massive loss of lives off offshore Phuket!

Edited by CGW
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I can see the mountains from the back kitchen here , last night we had some heavy rain , the sun was still on the mountain where the cave is but I thought what would be the situation if it had poured with rain during the last week. Sun out now but the weather could turn nasty any time.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, CGW said:

I reckon! they are going to focus the media attention on this plight increasingly to keep the focus of the disaster that has just played out with the massive loss of lives off offshore Phuket!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

They state they are taking oxygen bottles into the chamber where the boys are located and opening them.  Do they REALLY mean oxygen, or do they mean air?

Previous news reports (from many sources) have stated oxygen tanks when the accompanying photos clear show them to be air tanks - as many other poster have pointed out. 

It seems a lot of effort to take air tanks that only contain 21% O2 all that way, so I'd guess they really do mean 100% medical O2 this time.  I saw on Thai TV a few days ago many large bottle of what looked to me like oxygen (Green band at the top..?), and much longer than normal air tanks, certainly more than 1m in length.

Air tanks are fine for the divers, since only some of the oxygen in each breath is consumed, and using oxygen tanks without a re-breather system would be very wasteful.  But ideally the oxygen needs to be piped in from outside in the event of rising water level that prevent any access.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't really see that as a conspiracy. Yes, without the cave thing that would be a much bigger news story internationally, and it probably should be even with the cave thing. But in that case, it's too late for those victims. People all over the world are focused on the boys that can still hopefully possibly be saved. 

Thanks for explaining that to me :shock1:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, BigA said:

Just saying, supposedly it’s a Chinese owned tour company boat etc. serving a Chinese  clientele. Not that it’s not a tragedy.

I think your on the wrong story me old fruit.this is about the cave incident,not the Phuket boat.we all make mistakes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CGW said:

His thread is about the cave problem not the Phuket boat capsize. However if you would read or watch the international news you would find out that both stories are being covered. Try a couple of mouse clicks and you will easily find out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steve73 said:

They state they are taking oxygen bottles into the chamber where the boys are located and opening them.  Do they REALLY mean oxygen, or do they mean air?

Previous news reports (from many sources) have stated oxygen tanks when the accompanying photos clear show them to be air tanks - as many other poster have pointed out. 

It seems a lot of effort to take air tanks that only contain 21% O2 all that way, so I'd guess they really do mean 100% medical O2 this time.  I saw on Thai TV a few days ago many large bottle of what looked to me like oxygen (Green band at the top..?), and much longer than normal air tanks, certainly more than 1m in length.

Air tanks are fine for the divers, since only some of the oxygen in each breath is consumed, and using oxygen tanks without a re-breather system would be very wasteful.  But ideally the oxygen needs to be piped in from outside in the event of rising water level that prevent any access.  

It is part of the confusion from the way the Thais use the word air. For them it mainly means air conditioning. The stuff we breathe they call oxygen. They are partially correct of course. That being said, sending pure oxygen would make the air better faster, but it also creates the risk of explosion.

Edited by canuckamuck

17 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

His thread is about the cave problem not the Phuket boat capsize. However if you would read or watch the international news you would find out that both stories are being covered. Try a couple of mouse clicks and you will easily find out. 

Thanks for the friendly and kind advice, I will give that a shot right now ? 

Yes, found it thanks - buried in the small print.................................

I'm curious about the boys hearing chickens and dogs. Were they dreaming or is there a small passage way to the surface? Perhaps selecting some special type of smoke generator in the cavern could possibly be detected at the surface.

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

It is part of the confusion from the way the Thais use the word air. For them it mainly means air conditioning. The stuff we breathe they call oxygen. They are partially correct of course. That being said, sending pure oxygen would make the air better faster, but it also creates the risk of explosion.

Fire or explosion needs a combustible, an ignition source and oxygen. Did you see any combustibles in the cave?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_Betong said:

I'm curious about the boys hearing chickens and dogs. Were they dreaming or is there a small passage way to the surface? Perhaps selecting some special type of smoke generator in the cavern could possibly be detected at the surface.

I wondered about that too, but I don't think they can afford what it would do to the air in the cave in terms of oxygen depletion.

They are supposedly 700 meters underground. Either that's a very wrong estimate, or they were dreaming/hallucinating.

Edited by jerry921

4 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Fire or explosion needs a combustible, an ignition source and oxygen. Did you see any combustibles in the cave?

Clothing, trash, sleeping gear, supplies, possibly methane. There are reasons you can't smoke in areas where they are using oxygen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jerry921 said:
10 hours ago, John_Betong said:

I wondered about that too, but I don't think they can afford what it would do to the air in the cave in terms of oxygen depletion.

They are supposedly 700 meters underground. Either that's a very wrong estimate, or they were dreaming/hallucinating.

Possibly "narked" (nitrogen narcosis)

4 hours ago, Basil B said:

More importantly what are they doing to keep the CO2 levels down???

CO2 being heavier than air will tend to settle at the bottom of the cave (if there are no drafts or other air currents).   It's also very soluble in water, so as long as the water is continuously moving it should keep the CO2 at a manageable level.

It's another reason that they need to stay as high as possible, or preferably find a safe location which "breathes" naturally... if they need to wait it out for months.