Trapped 13 express their feelings in first letters from cave

rooster59

7 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Your information is incorrect with respect to what warnings and dangers the coach knew of. This is the last I will comment on this as it is such a trivial matter and a distraction given the magnitude of what else is transpiring at this time.

"The Tham Luang Nang Non caves are known locally as off-limits, a dangerous place where parents warn their children not to go into, especially during monsoon season."    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/asia/thailand-cave-town-intl/index.html

and additionally 

i assume the coach can read thai

this is if he took them in versus they entered on their own without him and later he traveled to the cave  he went looking for them

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

"The Tham Luang Nang Non caves are known locally as off-limits, a dangerous place where parents warn their children not to go into, especially during monsoon season."    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/05/asia/thailand-cave-town-intl/index.html

CNN once mistook the Star Spangled Banner for the French national anthem. I wouldn't take any one single report too literally.

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
7 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

Your information is incorrect with respect to what warnings and dangers the coach knew of. This is the last I will comment on this as it is such a trivial matter and a distraction given the magnitude of what else is transpiring at this time.

Agree. He most likely had no idea at all there was a chance of this happening. If it was a common occurrence for people to be trapped in these caves in the same way it would presumably have been well known in the local community, and on a national level I never remember a news story like this. 

Totally different to a boat captain who takes an overloaded vessel out in dangerous conditions for profit. The risks of this are extremely well established, the last major incident in the news was merely three days ago in Indonesia, causing a similar number of deaths. 

and additionally 

i assume the coach can read thai

this is if he took them in versus they entered on their own without him and later he traveled to the cave  he went looking for them

25 minutes ago, atyclb said:

major international news network interviewed classmates and community members and they are taugh growing up that it is a big no no during rainy season to enter the cave.

The kids and the coach knew the caves well, they've clearly never experienced or anticipated a situation like this before. But most importantly, the sign suggests that prior to July it's safe. In any normal reckoning some leeway would be given, implying that July was around the time it started to get dangerous. If late June is dangerous, then those who posted the advice on the warning sign are negligent for not making the situation clearer. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steve73 said:

Why use written letters?  Surely a video message from each recorded on one of the camera's they have down there would be much better... Unless they (the authorities) are thinking the worst...

Sometimes a hand written letter conveys more than just a message, it means they took the time to express their feelings..

and it gives the parents something to actually hold in their hands rather than just play & listen to..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:
4 hours ago, atyclb said:

major international news network interviewed classmates and community members and they are taugh growing up that it is a big no no during rainy season to enter the cave.

The kids and the coach knew the caves well, they've clearly never experienced or anticipated a situation like this before. But most importantly, the sign suggests that prior to July it's safe. In any normal reckoning some leeway would be given, implying that July was around the time it started to get dangerous. If late June is dangerous, then those who posted the advice on the warning sign are negligent for not making the situation clearer. 

torrential rains had begun prior to the day they entered the cave and considering the caves are known for flooding and the reason for danger warning being flooding it might seem that a prudent person would decide not to take the risk. 2 + 2 =

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 3:52 PM, 1130bobs said:

i am surprised that all notes are in English.

It's been reported in detail before, one of the boys speaks / writes advanced English, maybe he constructed the letters.

Ultimately Thai or English, whatever. 

Good luck to all.