“Buddy dive” planned for Tham Luang rescue – news report

It would make sense for Thai Seals to accompany the boys and coach while the 7 British Cave experts stayed put at the difficult areas to assist and Make sure they get through okay . Main reason as communication with them will be needed and I doubt the young lads speak English. That's what I would imagine will happen of course with the other diving experts positioned also at strategic points to assist . Not easy ,,! !!

It would make sense for Thai Seals to accompany the boys and coach while the 7 British Cave experts stayed put at the difficult areas to assist and Make sure they get through okay . Main reason as communication with them will be needed and I doubt the young lads speak English. That's what I would imagine will happen of course with the other diving experts positioned also at strategic points to assist . Not easy ,,! !!
Hard to talk English with a regulator in your mouth, sign language is usually sufficient
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
32 minutes ago, Nigeone said:

Hard to talk English with a regulator in your mouth, sign language is usually sufficient

Yes agreed but instructions before going through the submersible areas and on coming out the other side going on the maps of the cave would be a benefit .most of the journey if we are to believe the maps is walking .Can't see them being able to sign with the lads who are really completely beginners and would be surprised if they have been able to teach and it register reckonised dive language 

Edited by Nigeone

3 hours ago, Nigeone said:

Yes I'm sure your right but I wonder if in this case there education system might help. We in the western world having been taught to think for themselves would im sure be running through all the various scenarios while the Thai lads won't really know what awaits them . The young Thais that I've met are very simplistic be it lovely . I'm hoping this might help the extraction . The old 'don't think to much ' which I'm sure we've all heard might help them hopefully ..just a thought !

"Thai lads won't really know what awaits them"

Are you for real? Thank god your not running the show...those kids would have been briefed over and over. The dumbest thing to any normal person would be to keep them in the dark so they Completely freak out at the first obstacle.

10 minutes ago, BangkokSausage said:

"Thai lads won't really know what awaits them"

Are you for real? Thank god your not running the show...those kids would have been briefed over and over. The dumbest thing to any normal person would be to keep them in the dark so they Completely freak out at the first obstacle.

Maybe they will have been told ..I'm not convinced if they have it wouldnt be in any detail. And would they understand !?? 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While I totally understand the sentiment in getting them out, I do hope they are doing the right thing. Even a single death from being hasty is unacceptable. I wish them every success possible and hope the kids are all reunited with their families. To wake up in the morning hearing they are safe would be the most welcome news possible. This is a drama that needs resolution, but of the right kind, given the effort and sacrifice made already.

I understand your concern and definately want this to happen, everybody safe and the rescue mission to go as quick as possible. However, believing that it would only take around one night sleep to rescue all 13 seems a little bit far fetched to me.

6 hours ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Not a joking matter, these kids are suffering and their parents can't

be fairing well either.

You seem to have misinterpreted a couple of serious comments as a joke. Intestinal fortitude means guts, and it's more colourful cousin means balls of steel, something these rescuers have in spades. Pretty obvious that no disrespect was meant in either case, and certainly not to the poor kids or their families. But this is an adult forum, and these are commonplace expressions in English.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GBW said:

No I am a doctor, nor an expert, but a 5/1 mg Diazaphan maybe helpful.  always helps relax muscles and mind..

The meditation lessons the coach has been training the lads, will also be a positive, as they all do have trust and faith in him. 

Cheers  

GBW

Incredible! Drugging people that are going to cave-dive???? Any more great ideas?

4 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm certain that doctors will take that into consideration. A dosage of max. 5- 7 mg of Diazepam ( Valium) could not do a damage to kids their age. ( That's from my niece, who's a doctor). It wouldn't let them panic and they'd feel relaxed. 

Incredible! Drugging people that are going to cave-dive???? Any more great ideas?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

This was already the suggestion of one of the caving experts on site. It may well be what they choose to do if they have the medication there as part of what they've taken in previously. The dosage would need to be considered carefully based on body weight, the fact that they're minors and undernourished, but something like valium might well help in terms of mental relaxation and pacing themselves for a lengthy endeavour. If the kids' role in the evacuation is a mostly passive one, it might be essential.

Tbere seems to have been some conflating in early discussions however between the aforementioned mild sedation, and knocking them out and taking them out like a parcel. This seems fraught with risk, not least on their abilities to continue breathing. Anaesthesia happens only under extremely controlled conditions, in this case it's got to be a complete no no. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I'm certain that doctors will take that into consideration. A dosage of max. 5- 7 mg of Diazepam ( Valium) could not do a damage to kids their age. ( That's from my niece, who's a doctor). It wouldn't let them panic and they'd feel relaxed. 

Valium makes you high. Makes you feel almost euphoric Its not the drug for kids. Xanex gives same results for panic with out the high 

Reporters Ejected From Cave Rescue Site

By Jintamas Saksornchai and Todd Ruiz

36763032_10215985265881816_875867737165922304_n-696x522.jpg

Police tell reporters to leave the cave site.

CHIANG RAI — Officials Sunday asked reporters to leave the area where they have been congregated in front of the cave as signs of frantic activity continued.

Since Saturday, there have been many indications that the operation is imminent or already begun to extract 12 young footballers and their coach from the flooded Luang Khun Nam Nang Non cave in Chiang Rai province. It was announced just before 7am today, that all media would have to move away from the area in front of the cave where security has been stepped up since yesterday.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2018/07/08/reporters-ejected-from-cave-rescue-site/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-08

A horrible situation anyway you cut it and I really do hope they get those kids out safely. They left drilling an escape shaft too late.

Can help thinking that Musk is on another global PR exercise with some far fetched fantasy solution - submarine, kevlar tubes ..... he should have offered support 7 days ago to drill a shaft.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, IamNoone88 said:

A horrible situation anyway you cut it and I really do hope they get those kids out safely. They left drilling an escape shaft too late.

Can help thinking that Musk is on another global PR exercise with some far fetched fantasy solution - submarine, kevlar tubes ..... he should have offered support 7 days ago to drill a shaft.

I am sure the drilling option has been explored from day 1, even as a layman it would of been on most peoples minds straight away.  THe topography alone makes that incredibly complex even before considering all the techinicql complicatoons.Amazingly complex with the worlds leading experts advising. Musk plan is a non starter they simply dont have the time to start experimenting when it is liable to start flooding again.

• Thanks 1

Rescue operation appears imminent as media ordered out of cave areas

23.png

In what is seen as an indication that the operation to extract the 13 survivors trapped in Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai is imminent, authorities ordered all the hundreds of journalists and cameramen out of the rescue command centre in front of the cavern as more rescue teams, medical personnel and ambulances arrived this morning.

The order was issued by the police who said the evacuation is necessary to facilitate the rescue mission but gave no details. They said the order was issued under the law on public disaster mitigation.

Thai PBS news teams at Tham Luang cave reported that 13 ambulances have been put on standby while an additional 50 Navy SEAL team members were brought in.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rescue-operation-appears-imminent-media-ordered-cave-areas/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-08

10 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Rescue operation appears imminent as media ordered out of cave areas

23.png

In what is seen as an indication that the operation to extract the 13 survivors trapped in Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai is imminent, authorities ordered all the hundreds of journalists and cameramen out of the rescue command centre in front of the cavern as more rescue teams, medical personnel and ambulances arrived this morning.

The order was issued by the police who said the evacuation is necessary to facilitate the rescue mission but gave no details. They said the order was issued under the law on public disaster mitigation.

Thai PBS news teams at Tham Luang cave reported that 13 ambulances have been put on standby while an additional 50 Navy SEAL team members were brought in.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rescue-operation-appears-imminent-media-ordered-cave-areas/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-08

This has got carnage written all over it. Who is giving the orders is anyone's guess. But if a seasoned seal veteran diver died only 2 days ago on fhe way out, how can young kids who haven't seen the light of day in weeks be expected to fare much better?

I hope this bold (dare i say reckless) move doesn't backfire

Edited by z42

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

+ 1 

So it has started to rain & divers are reporting masses of water creating Sunamies, stronger currents, ect.

So they left it to late 

Like mentioned they wont be out in the morning DUE TO

* They may of just made the descision 

* It will take divers 6 hrs + to get to the cave (they only have 3 in there looking after them )

* You could probably guarantee they will be under water longer now due to delay

* Due to stronger currents they will need 26 Divers to make the inward leg because I can't see going in & out doable & shall take many days 

All the best to them

Another anti Thai doomsday monger. Your expertise seems to know no bounds.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, todlad said:

Another anti Thai doomsday monger. Your expertise seems to know no bounds.

Not anti Thai & doesn't need a genius to do some basic maths from the information provided over the duration of the mission

8 minutes ago, todlad said:

In what way did they leave drilling an escape shaft too late? Do you know the logistics, geology and mechanics involved? Did you follow the Chilean miners' saga: do you know what happened when they drilled channels? It is NOT simple and it is NOT a quick fix.

Not taking away the complexity of that event but this is a different scenario ( they knew exactly where the Chileans were from the top to their position )