Retirement Extension but still come and go?

I was due to move to Thailand this year but may have to delay that due to health problems requiring quite a few hospital visits. Worried that the rules may change on retirement visas I was considering going ahead and applying for a retirement extension. I known that you can get a re-entry permit but will it be frowned upon if I'm actually out of the country more than I'm in?

No problem.  You can come and go as often as you like. A multiple Re-entry Permit is available, which saves a little money and paperwork if you expect four or more trips. And it doesn't matter even if you spend most of your time out of Thailand. Note: you can only do your annual renewal In Thailand, so you need to be here then. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not understand why so many do not get the multiple entry.

If you have family abroad or health insurance in another country, life happens.

It can be necessary to come a go several times.

That and the fact leaving Thailand from time to time to visit a neighboring country for a few days, can be a good and healthy thing.

I always use it several times and actually save money over the year.

If a person expects less than 3 trips, a single should work fine.  I know that 3 single entry permits cost less than a multiple (1,000 each vs 3,800 for M) -- but remember, a single stamp takes up a not so small portion of the passport page - so, if you need to save space in passport, the extra 800 may be worth it.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Sophon said:

Why would I want to waste money on a re-entry permit, if I don't expect to leave Thailand? I am on my 7th extension and have left Thailand twice in that period, so doing as you suggest would have cost me an extra THB 24,600 for no good reason. If I should need to make an unexpected trip because of a family emergency, I can always get a re-entry permit at the airport.

Just because a multiple re-entry permit makes sense for your particular circumstances, doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for other people.

Sophon 

Most people I know are active like to travel around and see other countries, so makes a lot of sense for them.

But, if you do nothing but stay here, then it works for you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, malt25 said:

Wow, bit harsh ! I don't see anywhere in the post that it was directed toward you or other non travelers. I took the post as a generalization & offering a bit of info.

You get out of bed on the wrong side this mornin ?

Not at all. He said he didn't understand why more people didn't apply for a multiple re-entry permit when getting their extension. I gave him a reason using my own circumstances, that many people living here hardly travel at all, and many more fewer than the 4 times a year that would make it economical to go for a multiple re-entry permit.

Nothing harsh in my post unless you are trying to read something into what I wrote that isn't there.

Sophon

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sophon said:

Just because a multiple re-entry permit makes sense for your particular circumstances, doesn't necessarily make it the right choice for other people.

Some people on TV have a great deal of difficulty imagining people with other interests, circumstances or lifestyles than their own. Why would anyone not want to be just like them?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, allane said:

No problem.  You can come and go as often as you like. A multiple Re-entry Permit is available, which saves a little money and paperwork if you expect four or more trips. And it doesn't matter even if you spend most of your time out of Thailand. Note: you can only do your annual renewal In Thailand, so you need to be here then. 

The  multiple re-entry permit is exactly that. However, how does one get back into Thailand on a single re-entry permit if they leave and come back three times in a calendar year?

• Like 1

If that question is directed to me....At the risk of stating the obvious;a single entry Re-entry Permit can only be used once.  However, there is nothing stopping you from getting an additional single Re-entry Permit (or more than one) if you wish. However, as someone stated above, they do consume pages in your passport.

1 minute ago, allane said:

If that question is directed to me....At the risk of stating the obvious;a single entry Re-entry Permit can only be used once.  However, there is nothing stopping you from getting an additional single Re-entry Permit (or more than one) if you wish. However, as someone stated above, they do consume pages in your passport.

I understand that. However, say I anticipate two trips out of Thailand after getting an extension. Do I purchase them via the agent I use in one transaction, or apply for the second one as I come in through Suvarnabhumi?

19 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Do I purchase them via the agent I use in one transaction, or apply for the second one as I come in through Suvarnabhumi?

You would get one and the other one later. You can only have one valid re-entry permit at a time in your passport.

They could be obtained on departure from the country at Suvarnabhumi.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The  multiple re-entry permit is exactly that. However, how does one get back into Thailand on a single re-entry permit if they leave and come back three times in a calendar year?

They get a re-entry permit. 

Did not know about re-entry permits... I take it they don't change the exit by date, i.e. if you have an SETV that is good for 60/90 days, the clock is still ticking while you are away and you will still have to leave Thailand within 60/90 days of the original date of entry. I just had a quick google on that but I didn't find anything that made it clear.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Pay money....

9 minutes ago, Artful Dodger said:

Did not know about re-entry permits... I take it they don't change the exit by date, i.e. if you have an SETV that is good for 60/90 days, the clock is still ticking while you are away and you will still have to leave Thailand within 60/90 days of the original date of entry. I just had a quick google on that but I didn't find anything that made it clear.

A re-entry permit does not allow any additional days. It only keeps the permit to stay date valid that you got on entry or the extension of it.

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would get one and the other one later. You can only have one valid re-entry permit at a time in your passport.

They could be obtained on departure from the country at Suvarnabhumi.

Thanks Ubon Joe. Where is the office that issues re-entry permits at Suvarnabhumi located?

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thanks Ubon Joe. Where is the office that issues re-entry permits at Suvarnabhumi located?

After security in immigration zone 2 just before the departure immigration desks.

More info here.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Confused. Is there a choice of re-entry permits then? Multiple and single?

It is you choice as to where you want to get a single re-entry permit or a multiple re-entry permit.

IMO if you plan on making 3 or more trips out of the country it is best to get a multiple re-entry permit. The extra 800 baht is worth the extra time spent to get 3 single re-entry permits.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I do not understand why so many do not get the multiple entry.

If you have family abroad or health insurance in another country, life happens.

It can be necessary to come a go several times.

That and the fact leaving Thailand from time to time to visit a neighboring country for a few days, can be a good and healthy thing.

I always use it several times and actually save money over the year.

I agree entirely with you. Works for me, every year when I renew my retirement at the same time I get the multi-re-entry, so I come and go like a Thai person. One of the reasons I live in Thailand is the proximity to all the interesting surrounding countries, so as often as I can I'm taking trips for a few days, or a couple weeks, to neighboring countries. In fact just back from 5 very enjoyable days in Siem Reap. I like living in Thailand and I love getting out of the country for a spell every now and then.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is you choice as to where you want to get a single re-entry permit or a multiple re-entry permit.

IMO if you plan on making 3 or more trips out of the country it is best to get a multiple re-entry permit. The extra 800 baht is worth the extra time spent to get 3 single re-entry permits.

Thanks for that - much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

When using single re-entry permits, you need to purchase one each time before leaving Thailand. That is why (when making 3+ trips) it makes sense to use a multiple re-entry permit. It is more convenient, saves space in your passport, and may save money (assuming at least four trips over the period of your one-year extension of stay).

• Thanks 1

" Do I purchase them via the agent I use in one transaction, or apply for the second one as I come in through Suvarnabhumi? "

Just to make it even more clear, you cannot purchase a Re-Entry Permit on arrival, nor can you purchase (or possess) more than one Re-Entry Permit at a time.

To be honest, its not the amount of times I may come and go, its that I may be out of Thailand for extended periods.  I understand that I have to be there at the correct time to renew my extension and clearly I would do my best to avoid that.  Given that I don't yet know what treatment I'm going to receive and over how long a period, I can't say how long I'll be out of the country or how many times I'll leave.  It may be considered a waste of time me obtaining a retirement extension but I'm trying to avoid difficulties with bureaucracy etc. in Thailand.  For example, I have a Thai bank account but I was told about a bloke who after having a bank account for several years was asked to 'renew' his details which included sight of his current visa.  Up to now I've always been on a Non O but for personal reasons, I might not be able to renew that now.  I don't want to be called in to my bank and asked to 'renew' my details as without a long term visa they may close my account - unlikely but this is Thailand. Also, as I said in my first post on this thread, I'm concerned that visa rules may change - the one thing that seems to be be fair about Thailand is that as far as I know, existing visa holders usually have their rights grandfathered when rules change.

• Confused 1