Carrying a passport around

The passport is more valuable to me than my own wallet , so I ever carry the passport with me. It's safely locked away in my condo .

I only bring a laminated copy with me jsut in case.   And of course I carry my Thai DL   . Always been accepted at police check points . 

I mentioned in an earlier post in this topic that I have been searching for the alleged law that requires foreigners to carry their passports with them at all times. Below is a summary of my research results.

1. I have found no law stating that a foreigner must carry his passport with him at all times.
  2. I have found no law stipulating a penalty such as a fine or imprisonment or both for a foreigner who is not able to show his passport instantly when asked for it by a law enforcement officer.
  3. I have found a law, the Immigration Act, containing these clauses: 
    "Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act."
    "Section 
    81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both."
  4. I have found no law stating that a foreigner's permission to stay must be recorded in his passport, but I have observed that it is currently being done so by immigration officers.
  5. I have found no law stating what type of document a law enforcement officer may or must request a foreigner to show when it is considered necessary to verify whether the foreigner is in violation of Section 58 of the Immigration Act.
  6. I have found no law prohibiting law enforcement officers from requesting a foreigner to show his passport when it is considered necessary to verify whether the foreigner is in violation of Section 58 of the Immigration Act.
  7. I have found no law prohibiting law enforcement officers from detaining a foreigner who is unable to prove to the officer's satisfaction that he is not in violation of Section 58 of the Immigration Act.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 9:48 AM, Pilotman said:

Bit off topic, but the good thing about having a current IDP, is that when you go to apply for your Thai DL, you dont have to sit through that God awful video for 40 minutes. 

Oh, yes, I had to, even a 2 hour video … (in Ubon).

On 7/9/2018 at 2:48 PM, Pilotman said:

Bit off topic, but the good thing about having a current IDP, is that when you go to apply for your Thai DL, you dont have to sit through that God awful video for 40 minutes. 

I had US valid IDP+ CA valid DL still I had to watch that amazing Thai video. ?

At Min Buri office. 

2 hours ago, The Theory said:

I had US valid IDP+ CA valid DL still I had to watch that amazing Thai video. ?

At Min Buri office. 

My UK issued IDP  was 5  days out of date when I applied for my Thai DL at Pattaya.  The lady  who checked my documentation said it was a pity it was out of date, as if it had been valid, I would not have had to watch the video.  nothing like consistency eh?  

21 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

My UK issued IDP  was 5  days out of date when I applied for my Thai DL at Pattaya.  The lady  who checked my documentation said it was a pity it was out of date, as if it had been valid, I would not have had to watch the video.  nothing like consistency eh?  

For driver’s license I only did not do driving test and since I had no US motorcycle license, I went through all for that.