Mission chief hits out at errant media

snoop1130

Mission chief hits out at errant media

By The Nation

b01cb934fb4673be9391107023545474.jpeg

The rescue mission chief on Monday issued a stern warning to the media covering the evacuation of footballers stranded in a Chiang Rai cave after a news outlet was found flying a drone without permission and another outlet reportedly got access to the police radio frequency and broadcast it.

Narongsak Osottanakorn said that both outlets had clearly violated the laws and police were investigating both incidents.

Without identifying the name of the news outlet, Narongsak said: “We understand that flying a drone in the area without permission is clearly illegal. A news outlet still flew the drone despite our asking for their cooperation.”

The mission chief said he was very upset by the behaviour but said it was the action of an individual outlet, not all media.

Pol MajGeneral Chairat Panngao, the regional deputy commander, said the drone in question flew at the same time a helicopter was taking off with one of the footballers.

“That was not appropriate. Even if they had the permission, it did not mean they could fly where ever they wanted,” he said.

During an inspection, police found a second drone flying in the area.

The Thai Air Force, meanwhile, reiterated that the flyer of the drone in question did not have a licence.

PPTV station issued an apology for flying the drone at the same time when the helicopter was taking off to a hospital.

Although the station’s editorial department had no intention to violate the regulations issued to cover the rescue operation, it acknowledged its mistake and apologised if its action had impacted the operation in any way.

The department also stressed that there would be no more such incidents.

Narongsak added that another news outlet had got illegal access to police’s frequency, listened it and broadcast it live.

Their report, based on illegal access, mentioned that six of the young footballers were evacuated on Sunday despite the fact that only four were.

We have to repeatedly answer the public’s queries about the exact number of boys extracted from the cave.

“Police are now investigating the incident and searching for those involved in the action,” he said.

Chairat said that a special technique was used to access the police radio frequency. “This will be my last request to everybody not to do it. What we are doing now is for the sake of the Mu Pa team members.”

He requested the media outlets to stop competing to get better photos and reports and to use news and photos provided by the rescue authorities.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349672

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-9
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Although the station’s editorial department had no intention to violate the regulations issued to cover the rescue operation, it acknowledged its mistake and apologised if its action had impacted the operation in any way.

Do they even sound out aloud to themselves beforehand what they are going spout as an apology when they get caught?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mission chief slams ‘unethical media practices’

By MARISA CHIMPRABHA, 
PRATCH RUJIVANAROM 
THE NATION 

54aa5b0fccc4f6b8b121ba8be320e98e.jpeg

A Thai soldier and a police officer block a photographer during the evacuation operation of a boy with a helicopter to a hospital after he was rescued from the Tham Luang cave, at an air force airport in Chiang Rai province yesterday. //EPA-EFE PHOTO

UNETHICAL REPORTING has been cited for hampering the rescue operation to save 13 trapped footballers from a flooded cave in Chiang Rai, as some reporters broke the law and the rights of their news sources to get the latest stories.

Narongsak Osottanakorn, the rescue mission chief, yesterday issued a stern warning to the media over the illegal issues and ordered an investigation after one news agency flew a drone over the area, while another reportedly got access to the police radio frequency and broadcast communications.

a24978d19a22a827c05ced7f3260624f.jpeg

0b05c18c599f912d262b144fb11dbc3c.jpeg

Narongsak stressed that flying a drone in the area without permission and unauthorised access of the police radio frequency were clear violations of law and said the police were now investigating the incidents and searching for those involved.

b83f8fb6c0410c3806540e16d46506bb.jpeg

251c54be231e74b9bc3e843b7ff02da5.jpeg

Although he did not mention the news agencies by name, PPTV and Workpoint have released statements of apology and promised that they will not repeat these wrongdoings.

Warat Karuchit, a lecturer at Thammasat University’s School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said that people should not only blame the journalists in the field for their harmful news reporting, but they should put pressure on their editorial teams, media outlet owners and media sponsors.

“As everyone is criticising the on-site reporters for their unethical ways to get the news, most people do not turn to their bosses and sponsors, who order these reporters to compete with other news outlets with fresher and more exciting news in order to get more ratings,” Warat said.

2b8f06b18c43c5931fc987cfcbc24394.jpeg

“Reporters in the field can be considered as another victim of the fierce competition among news agencies for ratings and are also forced to do harmful and unethical news coverage by their bosses, so the public should instead put more pressure on the policy makers at these news outlets.”

He suggested that editorial teams and the owners of all media agencies should set up proper news reporting standards for every journalist and make sure that they are forbidden to report the news unethically.

He also urged the journalists’ associations to draft good-reporting standards and set up a punishment for violations of journalistic ethics.

“The people have the power to campaign on this issue, as we can boycott unethical news outlets and their sponsors anytime, which will seriously affect their income from ratings,” Warat said.

0d1487d1053c0448e91f8c51729bc1c2.jpeg

He released the statement alongside more than 450 people under the banner of “The People Network for Journalistic Ethic”. They demanded that journalists and their media outlets follow their profession’s code of ethics strictly while covering the news about the rescue of the trapped team members in Tham Luang cave and respect the rights of their news sources.

The statement also asked all people to unsubscribe the news agencies that violate the ethical code and urged them to carefully consume the news to avoid unintentionally spreading fake news and harmful news reports.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349693

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-10
  • Thanks 1

Well they got rid of the English guy who reported on the pineapple farm.

But far too many to real, as they would cause a real stink if they sent reporters home.

What is the problem? people not informed; too many people at the site; not sure who is in charge. Maybe it started OK but has turned into a circus? Hope they sought it out.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I don’t understand why the Thai government has such a problem with the public’s right to know. This story has the world on pins and needles. Maybe establishing a press area closer to the rescue site is the answer.

I read somewhere that the names of the kids rescued are withhold to stop further anguish for the parents and not to put them through a state where some might be saying ‘why him and not my son’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MekkOne said:

everything is illegal in this country... You're probably a criminal and you don't even know...

Very true i committed a heinous crime this morning

shopping for milk at 711 in shorts MINUS underwear .... tis a real law evidently thou shalt not  "not " wear underwear!

Can only be  in Thailand where on the other hand you can buy overpriced beers and gaze at women without underwear through a glass ceiling:coffee1:

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He requested the media outlets to stop competing to get better photos and reports and to use news and photos provided by the rescue authorities.

Trying to ask the media to not compete, sounds like Burger King asking Mc Donalds to not sell hamburger. Just ain´t in parity with reality.

48 minutes ago, todlad said:

More rubbish from someone who clearly thinks he is so smart. This story concerns 12 teenagers and their football coach. Well done to the authorities for trying to protect the health and sensitivities of the kids and their families.

Why not talk about pineapples when it is more appropriate. If you think the organisation of this operation is a shambles, I would like you take up the smart offer made here a few days ago of dumping yourself in the cave the boys were in and then organising your own rescue. There is an open offer of $1,000 to help you on your way with that.

The OP is about the media. Just too keep you in the frame.

I am just repeating what I am reading in the media. You don't have to be smart to read what is written.

If you are uneasy about a critique and I see you no nothing about the British Journalist that was forced out of Thailand. Tod it sounds as though you are still on holidays.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The OP is about the media. Just too keep you in the frame.

I am just repeating what I am reading in the media. You don't have to be smart to read what is written.

If you are uneasy about a critique and I see you no nothing about the British Journalist that was forced out of Thailand. Tod it sounds as though you are still on holidays.

I understood the nature of the message which is why I labelled it inappropriate rubbish.

I threw in the bit about you hiding yourself in a cage as a bonus.

10 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

There have been photos, media releases and actual video of the rescue released.

The media access is managed, but some of the entertainment outlets want to have a scoop.

Do you not understand that space and air is at a premium? Every extra body takes up valuable resources. You are demanding that you have your entertainment at the potential cost of someone's life.

You do understand that these are children don't you? Are you aware that there are privacy laws in place just as there are in the west. Those laws and concerns are stricter when children are involved.  The immediate physical condition and the  appearance of those kids is none of your business. You have neither the legal nor the moral right to demand access. When the time is appropriate, information will be released. this kids are immunosuppressed at are at high risk of long term lung damage and infection from lethal disease. Now is not the time to use them for  entertainment purposes. They must be quarantined until they are physically stronger.

There has been no interference with the right to know. the Thai government is acting responsibly and in the best interests of the  children. The kids come before your imaginary and unfounded  right to know. The procedures in place are best practices. There are media releases, but they are factual, and not written for entertainment purposes.

Agree with you 100% as to the privacy of the boys. And that the Chiang Rai Governor is doing a fantastic job in co-ordinating the rescue efforts. I believe you are based in Bangkok ? Kid. Reports that are coming via foreign media and shown 24 hours on TV in OZ is completely different to what would be reported in the Thai press. I wouldn't get too hedonistic about what some people are asking as they may see two reports that differ and are here asking questions. 

And most of the world is praying for these survivors. I know my whole family is thinking of them. My friends on Facebook are thinking of them. I got no problem with people asking questions as long as they are not abusive, racist or self-indulgent.

From one side of the world to the other things can get mixed up.

14 minutes ago, todlad said:

I understood the nature of the message which is why I labelled it inappropriate rubbish.

I threw in the bit about you hiding yourself in a cage as a bonus.

You have very little understanding of the complexities of what is happening. The Thai elite do not like press from overseas coming in and feeding the world what is happening.  The northern people are most gracious and humble people. I lived in Chiang Rai some time ago. Tod sounds as though you are just off the boat and have hidden in that cage. You need to get yourself up to speed.

I will give you a test: Why is the Governor of Chiang Rai being moved out of his position and onto a lesser province? I will even give you a hint, the Interior Minister. Google that and see what comes up. 

The people in Chiang Rai want him to stay but this wouldn't have come up if the boys got lost in the cave system. Just trying to educate you.

• Like 1

An unfounded sensationalist troll comment and several replies have been removed from this thread.

Further posts of this nature will result in posting suspensions and/or possible banning from the Forum.

2 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

You have very little understanding of the complexities of what is happening. The Thai elite do not like press from overseas coming in and feeding the world what is happening.  The northern people are most gracious and humble people. I lived in Chiang Rai some time ago. Tod sounds as though you are just off the boat and have hidden in that cage. You need to get yourself up to speed.

I will give you a test: Why is the Governor of Chiang Rai being moved out of his position and onto a lesser province? I will even give you a hint, the Interior Minister. Google that and see what comes up. 

The people in Chiang Rai want him to stay but this wouldn't have come up if the boys got lost in the cave system. Just trying to educate you.

You can be as patronising as you like but keep your lessons to yourself. i have no interest in your analysis of any governor and minister.

I came here to read about the boys and their rescue and resent your hijacking of the thread because you have a little agenda.

• Like 1