I want to open a (cheap) (Thai) steak restaurant, any idea ?

GSFGSF

4 minutes ago, catman20 said:
1 hour ago, Bassosa said:

That's the name of the game. You may fail once, or twice, but it's the risk takers who end up making it, not guys like you... 

seancbk i very surprised that you clicked like on this stupid post bearing in mind what he said about me , you knowing a little of my history and life style i live here. im hardly a loser. :cheesy:

Where did I say you are a loser?  

I liked his comment because he's right, the people who take a chance are the ones who sometimes succeed.   Those who never take a chance never succeed.

Nothing to do with how successful you've been or how you live your life.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GSFGSF said:

This is a minimum. But no day off and certainly more than 100 customers a day when being opened 12 hours (by the way I forgot to explain that the reason for paying a 10000 thb rent is to be open 12 hours a day, which a street food cannot do).

Yes, I was just trying to make these blind people understand how business works.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GSFGSF said:
18 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Do Steak Frites - with unlimited fries and a choice of sauces.   And the 'steak' can be chicken or pork, here it doesn't have to be beef.   But make the Thais think it's done in a special French way. 

I think a great gimmick would be lots of sauces on offer.

Steak Frites with Au Poivre, Bearnaise, Bordelaise Sauce, Red Wine Sauce, Creamy Mustard Sauce

More ideas here - 10 Dipping Sauces for Frites   https://www.saveur.com/gallery/10-Dipping-Sauces-for-Frites#page-2

Unlimited fries for people who spend a minimum is possible, but maybe not for people who spend only 49 thb.

I agree with sauces, easy to make them cheap and unlimited.

Yes maybe 'unlimited' fries is an upgrade.  Pay an additional 50 baht for unlimited fries with your 49 baht meal.  

• Like 1

You could focus on other zero carb foods and create the first ever in the world ketosis diet Cafe selling things like beef with veg. Almond meal pancakes,sugar free ice-cream,  cheese dipped olives etc.

The first in the world baby!

• Like 1

You could focus on other zero carb foods and create the first ever in the world ketosis diet Cafe selling things like beef with veg. Almond meal pancakes,sugar free ice-cream,  cheese dipped olives etc.

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

Just now, stud858 said:

gotja

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Where did I say you are a loser?  

I liked his comment because he's right, the people who take a chance are the ones who sometimes succeed.   Those who never take a chance never succeed.

Nothing to do with how successful you've been or how you live your life.   

you did not, as i said i was surprised you clicked like on his post. 

people who take calculated risk SURE its possible for them to succeed the risks in Thailand are heavily stack against farangs here most successful people here know that.

how one live ones life has EVERYTHING to do with how one is or has been successful.

trust me successful people know. ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

Sorry but it seems ridiculous to think that we will have less than 25 customers a day...

All steak steak restaurants that I know in Bangkok must have a least 100 customers daily, some 200 or more...

And no, someone who knows Thailand enough doesn't need to open a shop in a tourist area.

Is that bit I have marked in bold extracted from your business plan?

...or is this solicitation for advice your business plan, ie. only the vaguely positive comments accepted?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, GSFGSF said:

The rent will be only 10000 tb / month.

We won't spend more than this or I know that it won't be possible to have profit.

The place is littered with farrang spending big on fit outs and renovations only to have the landlord cancel the deal and keep it for themselves. The main one is as soon as you are lucky enough to be making money they will not renew lease or worse, find any excuse to toss you out so they can run the place for themselves. Leases here are pretty much useless against an owner who wants you out. Unless you own the premises you are at someone else s mercy. Good for those who find a good landlord.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GSFGSF said:

the quality of the meat doesn't need to be the best for less than 100 thb a dish

Thats so true,  it boils down to how much of that stinky stuff you can smear on the meat.  I took my misses to the sky tower in singapore and had a roof top steak all she could do is complain how under cooked it was and didnt have some special sauce.  Took her down jomtien market and she was guzzling some god awful stuff telling me how much better it was.  go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

What people seem to be forgetting is it won't be 49 baht for every dish.   I would imagine there will be price points such as  49, 69, 89 for example.  Similar to how Sizzler do their pricing. 
The high priced meals often have no more meat, they increase the price with things like corn or a roast potato, so the margin on those is even higher.   

Then there are drinks.  The profit margin on coke with ice is so massive you can give free refills and still make a profit.   

The people saying it won't work have zero knowledge of the F&B business.

Thanks for the lolz

5 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

I actually ate at one of these so called 49 baht steak joints.  The steak was a pork steak, no beef was sold in the place.

Had it been beef, you'd still be chewing it. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, catman20 said:

and you would know this ?

Yes, I have a pretty good idea how food businesses work from working in my parents retail and food businesses. 
Plus I've got extensive F&B management experience from working in the industry for several years and having many friends that own restaurants.

• Like 2

I have been in the food industry for 35 yrs and if you don't own the property  here beware . 

As in Thailand the landlord has all the power in commercial property.  Can tell you some horror stories about that. 

Also if you a farang the  rent price is a issue 

I wouldn't open a food Bussiness here  not in this climate its quite. Now!!  There are to many variables if don't speak thai don't know the system and don't have any knowledge in food even if its a cheap steak house. 

So many people get involved in having a restaurant with no experience yes there thai gf says the can cook sure the can. But x it by 100 people in 1 sitting it all changes doesn't it., im not saying it won't work but as for beef your only option is thai beef and its  OK but to get it to amazing it needs work and time. 

Unless your in the industry stay away as it will be costly and stressful  unless as tan leaw said if you own the shop have a go if it doesn't work rent it out if it does work you won't have the landlord doubling your rent as your doing well. 

Good luck and best wishes 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

The place is littered with farrang spending big on fit outs and renovations only to have the landlord cancel the deal and keep it for themselves. The main one is as soon as you are lucky enough to be making money they will not renew lease or worse, find any excuse to toss you out so they can run the place for themselves. Leases here are pretty much useless against an owner who wants you out. Unless you own the premises you are at someone else s mercy. Good for those who find a good landlord.

Sorry, but as already explained I am not your newbie.

I only rent to rich owners who own dozens of hundreds properties.

This owner has few buildings and many houses + a 100 millions thb land to sell.

Trust me, he is not the guy who will make any problem for 10000/thb month... He just wants easy 10000 to put gas in his cars...

So no risk at all to rent this place, I am 100% sure, owner is not your usual idiot poor Thai who think that he can milk farangs...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, maddox41 said:

I have been in the food industry for 35 yrs and if you don't own the property  here beware . 

As in Thailand the landlord has all the power in commercial property.  Can tell you some horror stories about that. 

Also if you a farang the  rent price is a issue 

I wouldn't open a food Bussiness here  not in this climate its quite. Now!!  There are to many variables if don't speak thai don't know the system and don't have any knowledge in food even if its a cheap steak house. 

So many people get involved in having a restaurant with no experience yes there thai gf says the can cook sure the can. But x it by 100 people in 1 sitting it all changes doesn't it., im not saying it won't work but as for beef your only option is thai beef and its  OK but to get it to amazing it needs work and time. 

Unless your in the industry stay away as it will be costly and stressful  unless as tan leaw said if you own the shop have a go if it doesn't work rent it out if it does work you won't have the landlord doubling your rent as your doing well. 

Good luck and best wishes 

Sorry, but as already explained I am not your newbie.

I only rent to rich owners who own dozens of hundreds properties.

This owner has few buildings and many houses + a 100 millions thb land to sell.

Trust me, he is not the guy who will make any problem for 10000/thb month... He just wants easy 10000 to put gas in his cars...

So no risk at all to rent this place, I am 100% sure, owner is not your usual idiot poor Thai who think that he can milk farangs...

4 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Great advice Denim. Lucky for that Billionaire American who decided to give up on his idea to sell Pizzas in thailand 3 decades ago. ....that would have been a bad investment  ?

But you just go on thinking the poor thai people just like what they are familiar with. You'll be rich in no time with that attitude. 

Bad comparison!  The American this was a Franchise situation he had deep pockets so had the patience to wait.  Not everyone can afford the time, a good example is Domino's they open one in Pattaya on the Darkside it last 2 months due to poor product and bad bad marketing.

Edited by thailand49

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Then there are drinks.  The profit margin on coke with ice is so massive you can give free refills and still make a profit.   

Who drinks coke with steak?

Steak at home with my wife, sets me, back 1500 Bahts minimum, Australian rib eye + Australian Shiraz, and you have it. She's really good at that (too), to the extent I stopped steak hunting when I go to Bangkok. But...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, poanoi said:

for me, it all about the sauce that goes with it,

i am so tired to death of the non existing sauces here.

most of all i want a nice bearnaise sauce

If you buy good quality meat sauce is not needed.  Some of the top steak houses in the world have no sauce.

• Like 2