Baht Bus - What A Humiliation

think_too_mut

Just entering the vehicle is a humiliating, dreadful exercise. One and only time I boarded it, bent, I felt someone is going to ram something into my ass.

A rentacar is worth whatever the price might be - just not to have to experience that baht bus again.

What a shame. Pattaya is bigger than Geneve. And has transport not better than modified pick up trucks.

Not only that - many posters have accepted that hel_l as given. Even discussing is it 5, 6 or 20 baht for a ride.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just entering the vehicle is a humiliating, dreadful exercise. One and only time I boarded it, bent, I felt someone is going to ram something into my ass.

A rentacar is worth whatever the price might be - just not to have to experience that baht bus again.

What a shame. Pattaya is bigger than Geneve. And has transport not better than modified pick up trucks.

Not only that - many posters have accepted that hel_l as given. Even discussing is it 5, 6 or 20 baht for a ride.

Either you are one of the desired quality tourists, or you simply cannot accept other cultures, other ways of living? Even though I would like to see a regular Taxi service here sometimes, I can well live with this way of transportation.

Regards

Since I have that stretch limo with driver on standby I get around town quite hassle-free...just refilling the champagne fountain after midnight is quite a pain in the arse because of the alcohol sales ban...anyone an idea to overcome this inconvenience?

Either you are one of the desired quality tourists, or you simply cannot accept other cultures, other ways of living? Even though I would like to see a regular Taxi service here sometimes, I can well live with this way of transportation.

Regards

I can quite accept public transport in places like Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, even in Bangkok.

It is the lack of one in Pattaya that makes it look biger ****hole than it really is.

There are public buses since 3 years ago but someone has ensured thay are infrequent, with unknown stops, inadequate (I think high seats and the rest, like inter-city coaches) and in general that they run idle and little unknown. There are signs saying "Red Line" and like that. Who would know it is a stop of a Red Line bus unless it is sitting there, red, wid Red Line sign.

Even then - when does it run, where does it stop, where does it go, how much is it....someone is keeping all that under the lid. I remember, when the decission to introduce them was published, baht bus operators rallied in protest at Pattaya city hall. Maybe then it was decided not to shut the new buses but to keep them a low key.

So, some here are happy with that situation: where baht bus operators interests dictate a quality (and very existance) of such an essential service as public transport.

Another analogy could be : bottled water hawkers and stalls shut down public water system.

And some would still be happy about their new place. Where did they live before if that pleases them? In a cage, Guantanamo Bay?

Regards

I can quite accept public transport in places like Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong, even in Bangkok.

It is the lack of one in Pattaya that makes it look biger ****hole than it really is.

There are public buses since 3 years ago but someone has ensured thay are infrequent, with unknown stops, inadequate (I think high seats and the rest, like inter-city coaches) and in general that they run idle and little unknown. There are signs saying "Red Line" and like that. Who would know it is a stop of a Red Line bus unless it is sitting there, red, wid Red Line sign.

Even then - when does it run, where does it stop, where does it go, how much is it....someone is keeping all that under the lid. I remember, when the decission to introduce them was published, baht bus operators rallied in protest at Pattaya city hall. Maybe then it was decided not to shut the new buses but to keep them a low key.

So, some here are happy with that situation: where baht bus operators interests dictate a quality (and very existance) of such an essential service as public transport.

Another analogy could be : bottled water hawkers and stalls shut down public water system.

And some would still be happy about their new place. Where did they live before if that pleases them? In a cage, Guantanamo Bay?

so ... wait ... Pattaya isn't BKK? Singapore? Tokyo? Geneva? Say it isn't so!

oh well ... if you like those places go there :o if you like Pattaya go there!

expecting Pattaya to be Tokyo is just silly. Even in Bangkok, most of the city is serviced by songtheaw except on the major roads.

But with the scads of songtheaw in Pattaya ... why would it ever be a problem. Why even get in one with someone else is on it. Oh wait ... you've LIVED in Pattaya and only been in one ONE time? LOL

Yes guy.

Another point. There lots of OLDIES in Pattaya. Lots of pensioners. Lots of folks on retirement visas getting older year and year. As people get older, they often get frailer, and blinder. These people need transport. You want them ALL to drive cars and drive motos while frail and blind? So often, I see some older person board a baht bus, and the thoughtless brutish driver SPEEDS OFF before this person has a chance to sit down, and the other passengers have to catch him so he doesn't get thrown off the bus to certain serious injury or worse.

Taxis! Metered taxis! A civilized ALTERNATIVE. It would make a huge difference in the desirability of the area.

If you are heavily invested in Pattaya, you really should be pushing for this, because it will bring the values up all over town. Pattaya, with real taxi meters, finally a real international resort city with ALL the amenities.

Edited by Jingthing

expecting Pattaya to be Tokyo is just silly. Even in Bangkok, most of the city is serviced by songtheaw except on the major roads.

But with the scads of songtheaw in Pattaya ... why would it ever be a problem. Why even get in one with someone else is on it. Oh wait ... you've LIVED in Pattaya and only been in one ONE time? LOL

Read the post it was answering to: it said I can not live in different cultures. I live and quite well, 3/4 of my life I spent in cultures other than mine, and just stated movements over last 15 years.

And what is silly?Pattaya as 250K people place has to have public transport. Is that silly?

And yes: I have been in tuk-tuk only one time, never again. In baht bus one time and not again. Why would I torture myself when I can drive my car?

In BKK, I live on SkyTrain and don't have to go to the places it does not reach. If I do, I drive.

What we have in Pattaya is a criminal activity by baht bus gang which is holding off introduction of metered taxis and public buses. How they do it? Bribing at right places?

Have you anything to say about that? If not, keep on bowing when entering scrap metal baht bus trays.

Nobone is arguing there isn't an evil, corrupt, violent mafia at work.

They are arguing there is no way this mafia can ever be challenged.

Unfortunately, they might be right, and that is a real shame.

Because the status quo is bad for the people of Pattaya, Thai citizens, resident expats, and tourists.

Edited by Jingthing

Read the post it was answering to: it said I can not live in different cultures. I live and quite well, 3/4 of my life I spent in cultures other than mine, and just stated movements over last 15 years.

And what is silly?Pattaya as 250K people place has to have public transport. Is that silly?

And yes: I have been in tuk-tuk only one time, never again. In baht bus one time and not again. Why would I torture myself when I can drive my car?

In BKK, I live on SkyTrain and don't have to go to the places it does not reach. If I do, I drive.

What we have in Pattaya is a criminal activity by baht bus gang which is holding off introduction of metered taxis and public buses. How they do it? Bribing at right places?

Have you anything to say about that? If not, keep on bowing when entering scrap metal baht bus trays.

Hate to tell you this ... but Baht Busses (songtheaw) ARE the answer for public transportation. The fact that you don't like them has 0 bearing on that fact. That you live in the tiny minority area of BKK (when you are there) that is served by rapid transit also has very little to do with the reality of most people in Bangkok. How a baht bus is torture is 100% beyond me though :o Particularly in Pattaya where there are SCADS of them. It isn't like Bangkok or Phuket where they are few and far between so you MUST get in whichever one comes along no matter how full they are! The public bus route in Pattaya has been a dismal failure as they are not convenient.

JD, I think a MIX of baht buses as BUSES not TAXIS, moto taxis, AND Bangkok style taxi meters would do the trick. Right now, the system for people who live here without vehicles is very incomplete.

I don't see it as incomplete at all! There's not a place you cannot get to for a fair price anywhere in Pattaya:) Plus the streets etc are bad enough already both in condition AND being crowded to not add in 1000 meter taxis to the mix!

Hate to tell you this ... but Baht Busses (songtheaw) ARE the answer for public transportation. The fact that you don't like them has 0 bearing on that fact. That you live in the tiny minority area of BKK (when you are there) that is served by rapid transit also has very little to do with the reality of most people in Bangkok. How a baht bus is torture is 100% beyond me though :o Particularly in Pattaya where there are SCADS of them. It isn't like Bangkok or Phuket where they are few and far between so you MUST get in whichever one comes along no matter how full they are! The public bus route in Pattaya has been a dismal failure as they are not convenient.

Does that mean - all nice and happy, no need to have taxis and proper buses, continue their ban from Pattaya.

They have 'proper' busses in Pattaya ... a dismal failure as people will not wait in the heat etc 20-30 minutes to pay twice as much or more when they can hop on a songtheaw immediatly and get where they are going. Again .. your bias against them has very little to do with reality :o

Edited by jdinasia

JD, I think a MIX of baht buses as BUSES not TAXIS, moto taxis, AND Bangkok style taxi meters would do the trick. Right now, the system for people who live here without vehicles is very incomplete.

I don't see it as incomplete at all! There's not a place you cannot get to for a fair price anywhere in Pattaya:) Plus the streets etc are bad enough already both in condition AND being crowded to not add in 1000 meter taxis to the mix!

You are joking!

Incredible. I could give you hundreds of examples of how you are wrong.

Imagine a trip from Jomtien to Third Road between Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang, when it is RAINING or if you like, very hot and humid (common).

You could charter a baht bus the whole way. How much you think? 200 baht in high season? In Bangkok, a trip that length would be 60 baht by pleasant aircon taxi meter.

Or, you could take a baht bus to Pattaya Tai and 2nd. Then cross a dangerous street. OK, if you are fit. Then another baht bus to 3rd road. Then either a moto taxi or WALK several minutes to get to your place.

The missing option, hail a TAXI METER, get there dry and cool for 60 baht. No stops. No transfers. No long walks. No dangerous moto rides. No crossing dangerous roads.

Imagine how some well dressed tourists will look when they show up for dinner, wet, dirty, and thinking about where else OTHER than Pattaya they will book their next holiday.

I am sorry, but people who say the current system is adequate just don't get out much (outside the beach road/2nd road circuit anyway), or they have their own vehicles. The situation on the ground for people dependent on public transport is very unpleasant, and thats a fact. And the baht buses fares when hired as taxis are quite often HIGHWAY ROBBERY. Not surprising considering so many of the drivers are low life thugs. Strong language? Yes. Because the situation STINKS that much, no other kind of language adequately describes the reality.

Edited by Jingthing

You are joking!

Incredible. I could give you hundreds of examples of how you are wrong.

Imagine a trip from Jomtien to Third Road between Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang, when it is RAINING or if you like, very hot and humid (common).

You could charter a baht bus the whole way. How much you think? 200 baht in high season? In Bangkok, a trip that length would be 60 baht by pleasant aircon taxi meter.

Or, you could take a baht bus to Pattaya Tai and 2nd. Then cross a dangerous street. OK, if you are fit. Then another baht bus to 3rd road. Then either a moto taxi or WALK several minutes to get to your place.

The missing option, hail a TAXI METER, get there dry and cool for 60 baht. No stops. No transfers. No long walks. No dangerous moto rides. No crossing dangerous roads.

I am sorry, but people who say the current system is adequate just don't get out much (outside the beach road/2nd road circuit anyway), or they have their own vehicles. The situation on the ground for people dependent on public transport is very unpleasant, and thats a fact. And the baht buses fares when hired as taxis are quite often HIGHWAY ROBBERY. Not surprising considering so many of the drivers are low life thugs. Strong language? Yes. But the situation STINKS that much.

LOL ..

1) you are making baseless assumptions that the prices would be the same as in BKK (The prices are quite different for meter taxis in Phuket and there are very few of them available)

and

2) You seem to pay far more than I do when I visit Pattaya :o (Then again I am not adverse to renting a bike or a car either ... but have had no problems getting anywhere I want in Pattaya at any hour, I am sure speaking Thai has a lot to do with that; but I think just having a clue is much more the reason! )

Oh wait ... you've LIVED in Pattaya and only been in one ONE time? LOL

That's quite conceivable. I've been in Pattaya a year and have only used a baht bus twice. I'd go out of my way to avoid using them.

That's quite conceivable. I've been in Pattaya a year and have only used a baht bus twice. I'd go out of my way to avoid using them.

LOL ... why?

Why is this argument necessary? Can't those who love the bahtbusses just accept that there is place for metered taxis as well?

I think nobody is suggesting that we should get rid of baht busses, just cut down the 60% who does nothing but cruising empty around the Beach Road - Pattaya Tai - 2nd Rd circuit and instead offer metered taxis for those who prefer that.

Why is that so difficult to live with?

I wonder if those who think the baht buses are the end-all of adequateness of public transport ever leave the Beach Road/Second Road loop?

As another poster wrote above: try catching a baht bus on Third Road near Pattaya Klang or try catching a baht bus on Thepprasit Road. They are infrequent, if not non-existent. These are not out-of-the-way obscure roads.

It has been suggested before that Third Road and Thepprasit have no potential baht bus customers so no chance to make a profit. Hmmm. Why would that be? Lots of businesses and shops along those streets who have customers. Why do such a large number of baht buses circle the Beach Road/Second Road with no passengers? Somehow they make a profit doing that, but would not on developable routes such as Third Road and Thepprasit, and the entire region east of Sukhumvit?

Those Red Line "Beach Bus" routes were a joke from the beginning. Down today from three routes to one. Operating in only one direction -- a big clockwise circle around Pattaya/Jomtien. Go from Jomtien TO Pattaya, but to go back to Jomtien it's a one-hour ride around the rest of the round-the-city route. They even have big red bus stop signs with illumintated advertising signs on the opposite side of the street, but no bus will ever be seen stopping there. (They did for a short while, a few months possibly?) I waited a couple of times more than 40 minutes for a Red Line bus when the claim was that they run every 20 minutes. Now I think they run every 40 minutes or an hour, but who really knows? Or cares?

Bring on those metered taxis to supplement routes and situations where the baht bus mafia apparently has no intention of serving.

LOL ... why?

Why? I don't like them or the drivers.

How? I don't need them as I have my own transport.

LOL

Apart from that, I used to live 3 km east of Sukhumvit...you need your own transport out there.

Now I live on Pratumnak Road right on the hill. When ever you stop them, the driver gets out and attempts to negotiate a special fare.

When you are coming from 2nd road, it's even trickier:

You have to walk well past the corner of 2nd Road and Pattaya Tai along Pratumnak, past all the standing buses until you can flag one down that's already cruising. When you hop in one (if the driver doesn't get out and ask you where you want to go), you don't know if it's going up the hill, or along Tappraya Road. If it turns there you have to get out and wait for another one. If the bus has passengers already, and you flag it down, the driver might end up taking you to the beach as no one will bother to tell you that it was a special trip.

The only time I've ever used one is to and from the main bus station on Pattaya Nua which requires 2 on the way, and 3 on the way back.

Edited by tropo