Ekkapol Chanthawong – Parents are refusing to blame him

webfact

2 hours ago, stevecm said:

100% On-point.

Agree...be hero...I understand they be thousands of Thai family want to adopt him, his whole family died at a very young age....monk 10 years..his meditation with boys to conserve energy kept them in sprits and alive...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's nice to see widespread opinion converging now, that blaming the coach would be completely unreasonable. The article posted earlier in this thread describing his character in glowing terms is very typical of the way he's been profiled in international media, anyone going after him is going to look like the big bad ogre. 

I don't blame him, who is going to demand he be prosecuted. That said he is a person my father warned my about long ago. "You trust your life with him and he'll kill you" 

So he kept them alive, great. He also came close to killing them all. If my kid was on the team ... He would find finding a new team, his life is too valuable to be in the hands of that guy.

Edited by LomSak27
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

I don't blame him, who is going to demand he be prosecuted. That said he is a person my father warned my about long ago. "You trust your life with him and he'll kill you" 

So he kept them alive, great. He also came close to killing them all. If my kid was on the team ... He would find finding a new team, his life is too valuable to be in the hands of that guy.

The coach should keep the children out of all dangers, or so it seems for some.

Can parents do better...do parents do better?

What about the thousands of parents who ride their motorbikes with their children, sometime 3 of them, sometime even babies, and end up having accidents, often lethal?

What about the parents (not only Thai) who leave their children in their car, under the sun, doors and windows locked, while they go shopping?

Parents, especially in the West, have a tendency to believe that they are systematically better at taking care of their children, than the third parties to whom they entrust them from time to time.

And obviously, parents are convinced that they would never ever do the same mistakes than the third parties.

This is an emotional reaction, not backed up by reality...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The coach should keep the children out of all dangers, or so it seems for some.

> Was that cave next to the pitch? No. So he led them to the danger. And could a kid on that team say, “no coach, I don’t want to go any further its too dangerous” kids cannot do that, they're not old and mature enough. In the west or the east.

For all your examples and then trying to drag up and flog a  West vs East distraction, no answers

I used my fathers comment because he was making me aware of how I was putting my life in the care of my so called friends. Right we trust them with our life. You better think  well and good about that cause if you are trusting them with your life you may well end up without one. That applies to the west and east.

So smile, clap, enjoy the fact they made it out alive and know it could have ended much differently. And make your own judgments and decisions, because no one else is going to care about your life as much as you.

Edited by LomSak27

8 hours ago, Basil B said:

Firstly I feel blame should be proportioned.

And the real villains are those who are responsible for the safety of the caves surely someone is?

Those caves and many others in Thailand need locked gates, either on the entrance or inside to prevent anyone entering areas that may be dangerous.  

And build a fence along the White Cliffs of Dover too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

And could a kid on that team say, “no coach, I don’t want to go any further its too dangerous” kids cannot do that, they're not old and mature enough. In the west or the east.

Some kids didnt want to go and they didnt go .

The kids went because they wanted to go and the coach was kind enough to accompany them and possibly  ended up saving their lives

• Like 2

Just now, sanemax said:

Some kids didnt want to go and they didnt go .

The kids went because they wanted to go and the coach was kind enough to accompany them and possibly  ended up saving their lives

So a group of kids on the hike in the cave, left and went home. Thanks I did not know that.

21 hours ago, djjamie said:

Unless there was a sign at the cave entrance saying "Do not enter due to monson seasan" then he is a hero that deserves acollades, medals, rewards, praise and eveeything else a hero gets.

Of course if he can look into the future and he still went into the cave with the kids he should go to jail. So the question is can he see into the future?

Sign at entrance to cave.

tham luang.jpg

Ekkapol stops, reads the sign, thinks July is next week so this week is totally safe, even though it's been raining hard for the past month. I'll just take the kids inside, what could possibly go wrong?

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

> Was that cave next to the pitch? No. So he led them to the danger. And could a kid on that team say, “no coach, I don’t want to go any further its too dangerous” kids cannot do that, they're not old and mature enough. In the west or the east.

For all your examples and then trying to drag up and flog a  West vs East distraction, no answers

I used my fathers comment because he was making me aware of how I was putting my life in the care of my so called friends. Right we trust them with our life. You better think  well and good about that cause if you are trusting them with your life you may well end up without one. That applies to the west and east.

So smile, clap, enjoy the fact they made it out alive and know it could have ended much differently. And make your own judgments and decisions, because no one else is going to care about your life as much as you.

But this is life!

It could have ended differently, of course, just look at the dozens of tourists who entrusted their lives to a boat captain in Phuket last week...

Accidents happen all the time, most of them avoidable, but such is human nature that we keep on doing the same mistakes, or new ones.

And listening only to myself, or my father, won't change anything...we are all prone to making mistakes, but we are more tolerant towards our own mistakes, for which we always find excuses, than towards mistakes made others, for which there are no excuses!

Finally, city dwellers often have difficulties to grasp the idea of risk and danger as part of daily life.

In many parts of the world, they are constantly present and no one even think about it: children riding by hundreds on a train roof, children swimming in rivers covered with garbage, children practicing with real guns, children exploring caves...

he took care of the kids, Thailand was headline world news for a couple weeks and has been getting favorable reports on hospitality, etc,  Elon Musk came and the PM got to meet him.. He's accidentally done much, much more for Thailand than his critics can ever hope to achieve.

Edited by Peasandmash
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If you read the article I posted above, you will see that the head coach was able to locate the group thanks to one of the children who had refused to go to the cave...

Was that the one who couldn't go as he didn't have a bike

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, colinneil said:
47 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

no one is saying that except you.

It appears you cannot read numerous posters on here have said jail him, you should take time to think about that before posting nonsnse.

Sorry I assumed that you were responding to my post.  I stand by my comment. Now back you go to posting nonsense.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Finally, city dwellers often have difficulties to grasp the idea of risk and danger as part of daily life.

In many parts of the world, they are constantly present and no one even think about it: children riding by hundreds on a train roof, children swimming in rivers covered with garbage, children practicing with real guns, children exploring caves...

You are getting a little sad now. I grew up in a rural area, doing things that today just would have people howling. All the more reason to take care of your own life, give away  that responsibility to others and you might not have one.

By the way, more than a few of these kids are stateless right? so your laundry list of dangers should include, border jumping, landmines, Myanmar military on search and destroy machines etc.  ... going to school ... 

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, LomSak27 said:

You are getting a little sad now. I grew up in a rural area, doing things that today just would have people howling. All the more reason to take care of your own life, give away  that responsibility to others and you might not have one.

By the way, more than a few of these kids are stateless right? so your laundry list of dangers should include, border jumping, landmines, Myanmar military on search and destroy machines etc.  ... going to school ... 

City kids have dangerous streets, people, drugs, roads, it should have been protected from people long time ago! Put a fence around all of the cities for god sake, and lock up everyone who try to lead the pure and innocent in! 

So many people is far out there and have no idea what real life is about. These kids did what kids should do, and this is exactly what humans have  been doing since the beginning! Search, learn, fail, and do it again better! Im happy to see the world come together and showed humanity just for a brief moment in time. And the rest of you angry chaps, what have you done for humanity lately? This coach is a hero!

• Thanks 1

Coach has the wise and presence of mind to use meditation to regulate the boys breathing as well as keeping those young boys psychological state of mind calm. The kids would have panic and worsen the situation. Heard he practiced meditation and put that in good use. Well done Khun Ekkapol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1