Hooyah! Mission accomplished - Rescuers lead final four boys and their coach to freedom

webfact

1 hour ago, jaiyen said:

"We are not sure if this is a miracle, science or what"

"The mission was successful because we had power, the power of love"

"Mission possible for Team Thailand"

Pathetic quotes ! It was achieved because of the skill of Team World ! It was no miracle, it was skill and bravery.  If left to Thais only,  the kids would all have been wearing magic amulets and left in the cave.  Still a backward country that believes in ghosts, magic and voodoo. Hope they have learnt a lot from this.

Yes, why cant they have good old "thoughts and prayers" like everyone else.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

And all the people in Thailand and around the world with all their interest, good wishes and positive energy.

With all the negativity and divisiveness lately, this experience brought us   all a litle closer together .

I dont know about being brought together. From what i read here the divisiveness is alive and well,. And the bigots continue to hate as they alwyas have.

Tbere are too many bitter people on thaivisa and this story has just served to expose clearly who they are.

Well, I am curious.  For those who are thanking God for the "miracle" of getting them all out safely who do you thank for the death of the Seal?  Has to be God too methinks.

This should put to bed any concept that "God" exists. Or for that matter that religion has any benefits to mankind at all.   If he/she/it does exist wth did he/she/it let them get in to this mess in the first place?  

So let's see here. God is sitting on his throne up there in heaven watching them make the mistake of their lives and he let's it happen just so he can let them pull off a "miracle" minus one Seal though? 

I thought Thais didn't believe in God anyway just the Buddha who wasn't God.

As far as I know no one saw God at the site doing anything.

All praise should go to the divers, the volunteers, and whoever spearheaded the recovery. Period.  

And RIP to the brave Seal who gave his life trying to save the lives of others. 

Edited by dufusdonald
  • Confused 1

“But of course, they were conscious,” he said. “When I visited them, I also told them to be good citizens.”

Great motivational speech in this situation .

How he is a PM or was leading the army is beyond me

Can only hope he does not become motivational speaker or a life coach.

9 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

Well, I am curious.  For those who are thanking God for the "miracle" of getting them all out safely who do you thank for the death of the Seal?  Has to be God too methinks.

This should put to bed any concept that "God" exists. Or for that matter that religion has any benefits to mankind at all.   If he/she/it does exist wth did he/she/it let them get in to this mess in the first place?  

So let's see here. God is sitting on his throne up there in heaven watching them make the mistake of their lives and he let's it happen just so he can let them pull off a "miracle" minus one Seal though? 

All praise should go to the divers, the volunteers, and whoever spearheaded the recovery. Period.  

Wrong thread matey....?

11 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

Maybe start a "does God exist" thread.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who visited the rescued boys on Monday night, confirmed yesterday that the stranded footballers were given medication to prevent anxiety and panic – identified as a key danger – while being evacuated. 

“But of course, they were conscious,” he said. “When I visited them, I also told them to be good citizens.”

"Do as I say... etc"

Aaaaaaanyway ... whatever. Time to rejoice :smile: I'm happy to join the millions of people who wish these young Wild Boars and their coach a Long, Happy and Interesting Life...

Thirteen lives in which, no doubt, this epic ordeal will play a key part, hopefully in a positive sense only.

Which is why I hope that no private person or authority will have the nerve and stupidity to blame and/or launch any kind of legal action against Khun Ake. It's obvious that this young man is already racked with guilt, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he's the most traumatized of the lot.

Hang on there Khun Ake, the parents don't blame you, people with a heart and a brain don't blame you, and as for the others, let them bark like hyenas, they're not worth your attention.

You did a GREAT job keeping those boys alive and focused when you all were in the dark for ten endless days, hungry, cold, afraid to die a horrible death, and with no way to tell whether rescuers would eventually reach you.

Hooyah to you and to all the rescue team !

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Were I a gambling man, I would have bet loads that some or all wouldn't have made it out of the cave.

Thank God I was wrong.

Well done everyone.

It goes down to the professionalism of the divers involved .Thailand did not take that stand that they can do it on their own They allowed people from all over the world to help out This is another reason there was  success in getting them out

• Like 2

mu Space aids in Thai cave rescue that brought trapped football team out safely

“Wild Boars is finally going home!”

That was mu Space Corp CEO and founder James Yenbamroong’s reaction as he witnessed the final mission to rescue the remaining four teenage players of the football team Wild Boars and their coach who were trapped in Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai, a province in the northern part of Thailand.

The last person was rescued at 7 pm, local time Tuesday. “Many people have been waiting for this day for a long time,” James said. “We’re glad to see them out safe and thrilled that they’re finally going home.”

Last week on Saturday, Thailand-based satellite and space company mu Space had sent five of its staff engineers to assist in the rescue mission of 12 football players, ages 11 to 16, and their 25-year-old coach who were stranded inside Tham Luang cave.

On 23 June, the football team went exploring in the cave after a practice game and were reported missing following a heavy downpour. They were found alive by search teams only after over a week being stranded without food and clean water.

News of the discovery sparked jubilation across Thailand, but it was cut short by news that the football team couldn’t come out yet due to the cave being flooded. “When we heard the news that they were still trapped after two weeks, we quickly assembled a team of engineers to arrive in the area to give support to the rescuers,” said James.

“We collaborated with several private companies and universities who wanted to help in the rescue,” informed James. “Google provided useful data and Weather Decision Technologies aided the rescuers with weather forecast models. US-based aerospace manufacturer SpaceX, who also offered support, contacted us to help them connect to the Thai government.”

The final rescue mission in Tuesday brought an end to an 18-day long ordeal.

“The Thai Navy SEALs, divers, water pumping and drilling teams, professional climbers, and K9 units played a big role in the search and rescue of the 12 boys and their football coach,” told James, adding that “foreign individuals and teams from Australia, Belgium, China, Japan, Laos, Myanmar, Sweden, UK and USA also extended support to operations.”

Confirming the completion of the rescue operation, the Thai Navy SEALs on their Facebook page posted: "We are not sure if this is a miracle, a science, or what. All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave.”

Meanwhile, the eight boys rescued earlier on Sunday and Monday are being treated in a hospital in Chiang Rai. “They're healthy, fever-free, mentally fit and seem to be in high spirits,” according to a CNN report. “They'll mostly be eating a food similar to milk and rich in proteins and nutrients.”

“Finally, they’re out of the cave and going home. We wish the 12 brave boys and their coach a speedy recovery,” concludes James.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I have to say I was sceptical of any endeavour that involves thais (and sophisticate machinery)....happy to be proved wrong.

Even when we are at the sunset years of our lives, we should keep learning. But, attitudes are difficult to change - they are embedded deep within self.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to know who in fact put the plan together. Surely, it was not the remarkable ex governor of Chiang Rai who seems to be getting all the credit. He didn't have the qualifications to come up with the plan. Someone else did. My guess it was the Brit divers in conjunction with the US divers.  They laid out the plan and told this guy what was needed and he got it done to his credit.

But the real credit "plan wise" as to who came up with the tethering idea for example and put it together is totally lacking in reporting.  Just saying am curious to know who and how it came about. 

15 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

You have of course messaged everyone who mentions God with the same message correct, matey?  What is a "matey" anyway?  Is that a Aussie sex toy?

Google is your friend....Chum.....:stoner:

• Haha 1

In the UK, all pots (caves) that may be hazardous (Tham Luang certainly falls into this category) have their entrances gated and locked. Some just appear as a small hole, barely large enough for a man to squeeze through but open out into much larger cave systems. These are secured by the local speleological societies and to gain access you must apply, in advance, to them and prove your capability as a potholer to enter said cave. Also, the party is logged in and out by the keyholder. Larger caves that are open to the public generally have their access controlled by the cave owner. Before entering any cave system it's normal practice to check the weather forecast for the time you plan to be in there from a reliable source (normally the Met Office). Had these basic precautions been followed, none of this would have happened. As for the coach, I can understand him not following any basic safety precautions as this isn't normal practice in Thailand. What really baffles me is why he led them 4km into the cave system, barefoot with no hard hats. If he had only gone as far as the first large cave and had his picnic there he would have easily led the party out when the water started to rise. The route they took was the same as the route used to rescue them, a route difficult enough that, even when dry, should only be attempted by experienced cavers with the appropriate equipment.

Guy was irresponsible and unthinking and seriously endangered the lives of the children in his charge. Personally, I wouldn't want to see him prosecuted as he knew no better but would ensure that he was never put in charge of children again.

Hopefully, the Thai authorities will restrict the access to all caves in Thailand (not just Tham Luang, which is what is currently proposed) but I won't hold my breath.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

'Nobody thought we could do it': rescue of Thai boys accomplished

By John Geddie and Panu Wongcha-um

2018-07-10T190818Z_1_LYNXMPEE691YS_RTROPTP_3_THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE.JPG

Rescue workers take out machines after 12 soccer players and their coach were rescued inTham Luang cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 10, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

CHIANG RAI, Thailand (Reuters) - Rescuers freed the last four of 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach from deep inside a flooded cave on Tuesday, a successful end to a perilous mission that gripped the world for more than two weeks.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team, aged between 11 and 16, and their 25-year-old coach became trapped on June 23 while exploring the cave complex in the northern province of Chiang Rai when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

"We are not sure if this is a miracle, a science, or what. All the thirteen Wild Boars are now out of the cave," the Navy SEAL unit, which led the rescue, said on its Facebook page, adding all were safe.

British divers found the 13, hungry and huddled in darkness on a muddy bank in a partly flooded chamber several kilometres inside the Tham Luang cave complex, on Monday last week.

After pondering for days how to get the 13 out, a rescue operation was launched on Sunday when four of the boys were brought out, tethered to rescue divers.

Another four were rescued on Monday and the last four boys and the coach were brought out on Tuesday, prompting rounds of spontaneous applause as ambulances and helicopters passed.

Celebrations were tinged with sadness over the loss of a former Thai navy diver who died on Friday while on a re-supply mission inside the cave.

"I want to tell the coach thank you so much for helping the boys survive this long," said one Chiang Rai woman wearing a traditional dress, tears brimming in her eyes.

"I remember all of their faces, especially the youngest one. He's the smallest one and he doesn't have as much experience as the others... I felt like he was one of my own children and I wanted him to come home."

Rescuers brought out the last five on stretchers, one by one over the course of Tuesday, and they were taken by helicopter to hospital.

Chief of the rescue mission Narongsak Osottanakorn addressed reporters at the end of the 17-day mission, arriving at a media centre to a round of applause.

He confirmed that a medic and all navy SEAL divers involved in the rescue mission had also left the cave safely.

"Nobody thought we could do it. It was a world first," he said. "It was Mission Possible for Team Thailand.

"POWER OF LOVE"

"The heroes this time are people all over the world," he added, referring to the multinational team that assisted in the operation.

"This mission was successful because we had power. The power of love. Everybody sent it to the 13."

Officials said details of the rescue operation would be revealed on Wednesday.

The eight boys brought out on Sunday and Monday were in good health overall and some asked for chocolate bread for breakfast, officials said earlier.

Two of the boys had suspected lung infections but the four boys from the first group rescued were all walking around in hospital.

Volunteers from as far away as Australia and the United States helped with the effort to rescue the boys. U.S. military personnel also helped.

U.S. President Donald Trump hailed the rescue.

"On behalf of the United States, congratulations to the Thai Navy SEALs and all on the successful rescue of the 12 boys and their coach from the treacherous cave in Thailand," Trump said on Twitter.

"Such a beautiful moment - all freed, great job!"

Authorities did not reveal the identity of the boys as they were brought out. Parents of the four boys rescued on Sunday were allowed to see them through a glass window at the hospital, public health officials said on Tuesday, but they will be quarantined for the time being.

The boys were still being quarantined from their parents because of the risk of infection and would likely be kept in hospital for a week for tests, officials said earlier.

GRAPHIC: http://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gfx/rngs/THAILAND-ACCIDENT-CAVE/0100711G258/index.html

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um, Juarawee Kittisilpa, Patpicha Tanakasempipat, John Geddie and James Pomfret in CHIANG RAI, and Aukkarapon Niyomyat, Panarat Thepgumpanat, Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Chayut Setboonsarng in BANGKOK; Writing by James Pomfret; Editing by Robert Birsel and Nick Macfie)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-11

Also Thank you to the UK team who were one of the first foreign teams there who were not mentioned in this column and who actually found the boys in the first place! ? big thank you to all involved???

• Like 1

Good news and good outcome and congratulations to all involved. 

Won’t be too many lottery tickets available that end in 13. Better get in quick if it’s not already too late. 

Just as an aside about a thousand people died on the roads while this was all unfolding. Perhaps now the media could refocus their attentions onto this issue. 

17 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

It would be interesting to know who in fact put the plan together. Surely, it was not the remarkable ex governor of Chiang Rai who seems to be getting all the credit. He didn't have the qualifications to come up with the plan. Someone else did. My guess it was the Brit divers in conjunction with the US divers.  They laid out the plan and told this guy what was needed and he got it done to his credit.

But the real credit "plan wise" as to who came up with the tethering idea for example and put it together is totally lacking in reporting.  Just saying am curious to know who and how it came about. 

The plan was compiled, controlled and primarily executed by the British cave rescue team. I haven't seen any evidence that American divers were involved.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The plan was compiled, controlled and primarily executed by the British cave rescue team. I haven't seen any evidence that American divers were involved.

Not surprising. Thanks and your source for that information is............?

And no American divers entered the cave?  hmm?

Edited by dufusdonald

30 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/minister-for-asia-praises-successful-thai-caves-rescue-mission

9 minutes ago, Spidey said:

OMG OMG... so you're implying that Donald Trump's tweet could actually have been a lie ?   :shock1:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, dufusdonald said:

Not surprising. Thanks and your source for that information is............?

And no American divers entered the cave?  hmm?

British Cave Rescue Council website. BCRC co-ordinate the 15 local cave rescue groups in the UK and received the initial request for help.

The rescue team consisted of 12 internationally renowned specialists in cave diving/rescue. All were there at the request of the British rescue team (7 in all) and were previously known to them. I don't know the nationality of the remaining divers (at least one was Australian) but haven't seen any mention that any of them were American (that doesn't mean that they weren't of course.)

18 minutes ago, Spidey said:

<resisted the urge to respond> 

Edited by evadgib
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

OMG OMG... so you're implying that Donald Trump's tweet could actually have been a lie ?   :shock1:

If you read his tweet carefully he doesn't actually say that Americans were involved in the rescue (although the implication was there).

He's a crafty tweeter!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

If you read his tweet carefully he doesn't actually say that Americans were involved in the rescue (although the implication was there).

He's a crafty tweeter!

Here's what the DoD says:

U.S. personnel have staged equipment and prepared the first three chambers of the cave system for safe passage, he said. They are assisting in transporting the evacuees through the final chambers of the cave system, and are providing medical personnel and other technical assistance to the rescue efforts, he added.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1569955/dod-personnel-assist-in-thai-cave-rescue-operations/