Leadership of Tham Luang rescue mission

JTXR

I followed this pretty closely every night on Thai media (the wife wouldn't allow much of anything else on the TV  ?). 

An effort like this takes a huge number of people working together, and that calls for skill, toughness, and diplomacy on the part of the person in charge.   Have to say that the leadership and management (both of the mission and of the media) shown by Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakornstand was very impressive.  I hope that he's rewarded and that his well-deserved surge in popularity and respect doesn't come back to make him a political target down the road. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Elon Musk is a case of brilliant chefs who can't run a restaurant....a huge publicity hound, but right now his company has more sell ratings on it, than any of the S&P 500.  And when your two month old electric car only charges to 67% in the desert heat, he is one, who deserves credit.

Edited by moontang

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Narongsak's rebuff of Musk's offer came across as a bit ungracious at least in the English translation ("not practical"). Which probably irked Musk.

But, I suspect Narongsak (a) didn't know who Musk was and thought this was yet another crackpot idea (must have been inundated with dozens the past few days) (b) now that the rescue was near successful completion just wanted to go home and get a good night's sleep one thousand miles away Mae Sai.

Edited by Bang Bang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, ib1b4 said:

It was posted in the Royal Gazette last Wednesday I believe?    Maybe wrong  though. 

The transfer was approved in April, and was supposed to take effect last Wednesday, but was delayed because of the ongoing rescue.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

But, I suspect Narongsak (a) didn't know who Musk

I'm sure everyone involved at a higher level in the rescue, including Narong was well informed who Musk is but they had their reasons to reject the offer.

I'm also sure that Narong didn't reject it on his own.

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Musk is a conceited, self-important billionaire attention addict who just can't handle it that his grandstanding wasn't met with fawning praise.  Tens of millions of Thais were impressed with Narongsak and his team.  I'm fairly sure few of them care what Musk thinks.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I'm sure everyone involved at a higher level in the rescue, including Narong was well informed who Musk is

I am not sure about this. Obviously, they were briefed as soon as the offer came in. But in living and working here 10 years in a job where I get to meet Thai engineers and academics I have been often surprised by how little some (even with foreign degrees) know or care about what's  going on elsewhere. Not trying to belittle people who are good at what they do, but soaking up world news is just not a passion for many.

So, an older Govt. official not knowing about Elon Musk wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. And neither was K. Narongsak likely to have been impressed on being told that a "Khon Amerika ruwai mak" wanted to see him just as the operation was about to be over.

The upshot was he was curt and Elon was miffed. But who gives a rat's ass. The boys are safe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:44 PM, Bang Bang said:

I am not sure about this. Obviously, they were briefed as soon as the offer came in. But in living and working here 10 years in a job where I get to meet Thai engineers and academics I have been often surprised by how little some (even with foreign degrees) know or care about what's  going on elsewhere. Not trying to belittle people who are good at what they do, but soaking up world news is just not a passion for many.

So, an older Govt. official not knowing about Elon Musk wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. And neither was K. Narongsak likely to have been impressed on being told that a "Khon Amerika ruwai mak" wanted to see him just as the operation was about to be over.

The upshot was he was curt and Elon was miffed. But who gives a rat's ass. The boys are safe.

Do not forget that K. Narongsak has degrees in Engineering and in Geology.  Do not write him off as someone who is an aged know all. 

Mr Narongsak obtained a Master of Science (Geodetic Science and Surveying) degree from the Ohio State University in the US, and bachelor’s degrees in Civil Engineer from the Kasetsart University plus Law, Information Technology and Political Science from Sukhothai Thammathirat University.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, harrry said:

Do not forget that K. Narongsak has degrees in Engineering and in Geology.  Do not write him off as someone who is an aged know all. 

Mr Narongsak obtained a Master of Science (Geodetic Science and Surveying) degree from the Ohio State University in the US, and bachelor’s degrees in Civil Engineer from the Kasetsart University plus Law, Information Technology and Political Science from Sukhothai Thammathirat University.

Thank you, I did not know this.