How bad is it to beep the horn here?

bbabythai

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

If you’re driving a car you bought here and saw you were doing 60, then it was kph not mph. 

Some people are actually capable of doing the maths to convert KPH to MPH. 60 MPH = 100 KPH.

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Some people are actually capable of doing the maths to convert KPH to MPH. 60 MPH = 100 KPH.

But not the OP right? I assumed people would get the reason I pointed this out....I guess you didn’t 

Edited by Fairynuff

Just now, Fairynuff said:

But not the OP right?

Yes, the OP. I often convert KPH to MPH whilst I'm driving as I can relate to it better. I would think that the majority of people on this forum think in MPH.

Just now, whaleboneman said:

Farang males in Thailand always generalize.

Assuming that you are a farang male, are you saying that you always generalise too? Also, is it wrong to generalise when making generalised statements as you have just done?

According to my understanding of Thai driving laws the horn is only to be used to avoid an accident in the case that the operator of another vehicle is unaware of your vehicle's presence. I do believe that is probably the single most adhered to driving rule in Thailand.

Now the real question:   "does the fact that people are discouraged from confronting or correcting others contribute to a non-caring attitude?"

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike West said:

stop lying to him, beep all u want, Thais are right up there among  the worst drivers in the world, they need to be told and put in line when they do something illegal and stupid. 

So you think you can change the driving habits of others by "telling them so" or "putting them in line"....?  You really believe this?  Surely, no one can be that stupid. 

While we're on the subject of horn etiquette...

I find honking your horn to announce your arrival at someone's house to be rather rude. I've had a few foreigners do this at my house. Maybe if the car was surrounded by Doberman Pinschers I could understand, but otherwise get your lazy butt out of the car and go knock on the door or ring the bell. ?

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 2

I had a gun pulled on me when I beeped the horn at a driver that was talking to someone on the side of the road when the lights turned green and he kept talking, wife continually reminds me that it dangerous to beep the horn at anyone when I drive  because they will remember the rego number  and then attack her when they see her driving the car because they know they can beat up a woman, basically they are cowards according to her and she is thai. Arrogance is the problem , they believe they have the right to do as they please and never be wrong, I try not to flip the bird  at these idiots or beep the horn now as the last thing I want is for my wife to suffer, to me a real man wouldnt hit a woman but we are talking about thais and I have seen how the men will beat up on females/kids rather than a male, face is too important to them

Edited by seajae
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, vogie said:

You have to remember that road rage in Thailand is different from road rage in the UK. In Thailand the least bit of discretion can get you killed, in the UK the worst that can happen to you is somebody shouting 'I've got you on camera, you'll be on youtube tonight' never ever accompanied by any profane language.

I would draw your attention to a lovely chap called Kenneth Noye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Noye before you paint UK road rage as tame.

Also, like so many things, blowing your horn may only result in bad things happening once in a million times, but being shot because you are that one is not a pleasant outcome. 

10 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I would draw your attention to a lovely chap called Kenneth Noye https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Noye before you paint UK road rage as tame.

Also, like so many things, blowing your horn may only result in bad things happening once in a million times, but being shot because you are that one is not a pleasant outcome. 

Ray, you do not have to "draw my attention" to Kenneth Noye, I remember it as it was yesterday, where infact it was 22 years ago, hardly a daily occurence I would have thought.

Not sounding ones horn here is still good advice here, but those that do, you have been warned. ???

The horn should be used to alert / avoid an accident. There standard for every car reasons? .. safety is the number one. 

Or do like my Thai friend instead of a little beep on the horn to get 

the dog out of the road, run over the dog and look in the rear view mirror 

to see if he survived.....actually happened and I was <deleted>?

I'd say a quick pip of the horn shouldn't get you in any trouble if you use it to let them know you are there, or get them to move at a traffic light on green for example. The only times I've ever done a long beep is when I've had to avoid an accident like motorbikes cutting out of side roads straight in front of my car, motorbikes trying to overtake when I am already turning right, or even a Fortuner that decided to reverse in to my car. He didn't hear the short bleeps so an aggressive honk was needed when he got incredibly close.

The only confrontation I had was when someone flashed their lights and I thought he was being polite (my first week driving in Thailand).

I have been told on a few occasions that beep the horn to announce dont continue to drive out of that soi or driveway or pass other vehicle as Im not going to stop, I have found this to be true on many occasions and can be accompanied with flash of headlights or even no horn just headlights. Oh and to use my horn to let them know Im overtaking as they probably dont even know Im there and they will get a fright when I show up beside them.

• Like 2

Horns are for warning of imminent danger, using it to then effectively punish someone by driving behind them beeping and flashing is antogonistical and illegal in most countries, it would be considered a road rage incident that you were the purpotrator of.

1 hour ago, seajae said:

I had a gun pulled on me when I beeped the horn at a driver that was talking to someone on the side of the road when the lights turned green and he kept talking, wife continually reminds me that it dangerous to beep the horn at anyone when I drive  because they will remember the rego number  and then attack her when they see her driving the car because they know they can beat up a woman, basically they are cowards according to her and she is thai. Arrogance is the problem , they believe they have the right to do as they please and never be wrong, I try not to flip the bird  at these idiots or beep the horn now as the last thing I want is for my wife to suffer, to me a real man wouldnt hit a woman but we are talking about thais and I have seen how the men will beat up on females/kids rather than a male, face is too important to them

As an ex Green Beret Special forces Black ops SAS sniper, i know that getting a gun pulled on you is not nice, particularly as a civilian. I'd not wish this on anyone, not a nice experience.

I think the comment about random drivers remembering your rego, is like a lot of other comments on here, a bit OTT but whatever...

One thing i do find surprising with a few comments on this thread ( and others ) is how some posters survived here on their own before meeting their wife. It seems as if they have to be advised, instructed how to behave about many things, wifey needs to go everywhere to hold their hands......sad really.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I'd say a quick pip of the horn shouldn't get you in any trouble if you use it to let them know you are there, or get them to move at a traffic light on green for example. The only times I've ever done a long beep is when I've had to avoid an accident like motorbikes cutting out of side roads straight in front of my car, motorbikes trying to overtake when I am already turning right, or even a Fortuner that decided to reverse in to my car. He didn't hear the short bleeps so an aggressive honk was needed when he got incredibly close.

The only confrontation I had was when someone flashed their lights and I thought he was being polite (my first week driving in Thailand).

Horn protocol - brilliant.

Not sure if this will be of interest, but in the US, 33% of accidents and 66% of fatalities are linked to road rage, with 37% of those fatalities resulting from a firearm, which is over 7000 road rage incidents per year ending with someone being shot dead, which would be about 1 in 5 or all gun homicides, however it does not state how many of those are killed by the police.

https://drivingschool.net/road-rage-statistics-filled-surprising-facts/

22 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

A long, aggressive blast of the horn is a different proposition to a couple of short beeps. If I'm driving in a narrow sol with sharp bends and high walls then I always give a couple of friendly beeps as I approach a bend to let anyone coming the other way know that I'm present.
Also there are certain situations, for example overtaking another vehicle on a single lane road where it is a legal requirement on Thai roads that either beep you horn (and/or flash your lights) So that the car being overtaken is aware of your intentions.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Many times I've been friendly beeped at on my scooter when someone wanted to make sure I knew they were there.

I appreciate the friendly warnings.

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

Assuming that you are a farang male, are you saying that you always generalise too? Also, is it wrong to generalise when making generalised statements as you have just done?

Yes, in general.

From the sound of your post, you are a bit of a hot head plus your post is confusing. You say you were on the left lane and saw a space on the right the other driver sped up and you nearly crash into him. If that was the case the driver was behind you and if speeding up he would have crashed into you not you into him?  If the vehicle actually did then maybe you didn't allow enough spacing prior to moving to the right?

How one beeps the horn is a sign of whether it is done with aggression in your case I believe it was in Thailand you can do this all day whether you are right the problem you will never convince them since they will not have a clue what you are talking?  As far as the driver is concerned you cut in front of him everything in front of them is their space. Here they aren't going to give you a CM of space even if they crash into you or they kill themselves.  So as I learn here driving 10 years plus you can have a nice day or walk around with a bleeding ulcer or take a moment longer, double check, before moving over! No point in getting support from your other Thai half she has no idea what your reason is for beeping your horn. Live and learn and you will feel better later believe me.

The majority of Thai drivers tend to straddle the line separating the lanes. I use my horn push them back where they belong when I am passing them. It may end up costing me my life but I'm an old fart and we all gotta go sometime.