How bad is it to beep the horn here?

bbabythai

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No one said that, or even implied it, but some seem to think that it never happens as well. You say "rare" do you have any figures to back that up?

post #51

I'm gonna use this other guys line for the second bit, very fancy....

"I consider your response to be the equivalent of what is known in the legal world as "vexatious litigation" and will make no further reply or comment other than that which is contained in this post.?

Good day to you.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Rare cases, people on here imply that almost everyone you sound the horn at is going to have a weapon, which is simply untrue ( based on my experience ).

Coming out of the Middle East, driving by horn was SOP.  Wife and I had to retrain ourselves once we moved here full-time - I was frequently surprised at how quiet it was driving here, even in BKK.  

Easier for her being Thai but she had to get on me several times at first to lay off, explaining that the worst case scenario was a very real possibility. 

I agree with your sentiment only because it's common for "some people on here" to blow things out of proportion.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No one said that, or even implied it, but some seem to think that it never happens as well. You say "rare" do you have any figures to back that up?

Yup-the "Iv'e traveled 46 million,seven hundred and 67 miles in Thailand without seeing a thing apart from a pogo stick with it's spring broken." meme.

It gets dusted off and trotted out from time to time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I was in the left lane traveling around 60mph and noticed a space in the right lane. I was moving over and all of a sudden the driver sped up fast and I nearly crashed into him. It was a close call.

First, that is how we do it at home??? Beeping or driving like a fool?

Have you ever considered that you were driving in the left lane, which is for people driving in 60 and lower, and then just saw a space in the right lane which is for people driving quicker. Damn sure that the car coming in that lane was quick, because you probably continued in 60 when he maybe was driving in almost 80.

If that is the case, then I would say you are in the wrong and should have stayed in the left lane. However, that´s only my opinion.

However, over to your main question. Depending on who you hsout, beep, flashing lights or point finger at in traffic everything from nothing or a small dispute to a big asskicking down to a bloody bloody death can be the result.

Personal note: I would have stayed in the left lane and kept calm, slowed down turn my head to my wife and said "Isn´t it terrible how much people hurry today" with a smile. :smile:

Edited by Get Real
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yup-the "Iv'e traveled 46 million,seven hundred and 67 miles in Thailand without seeing a thing apart from a pogo stick with it's spring broken." meme.

It gets dusted off and trotted out from time to time.

Beautiful?

You have to remember that road rage in Thailand is different from road rage in the UK. In Thailand the least bit of discretion can get you killed, in the UK the worst that can happen to you is somebody shouting 'I've got you on camera, you'll be on youtube tonight' never ever accompanied by any profane language.

• Like 1

To the OP :  generally, folks in Thailand give a single short beep to alert someone that the light has changed or the traffic jam is letting up when they are clearly not paying attention (texting, reading, whatever...) and need to start moving.  Or they give a short beep to alert someone who apparently hasn't seen you and is about to cause an accident.  The sort of long, repeated beeping (blasting) you describe--to indicate rage or that you think the other driver is an idiot--is interpreted here as aggressive and insulting.  It can lead to confrontation, sometimes serious.  Driving here can be frustrating, sure, but it's one place where adopting a "mai bpen rai" attitude is well advised.  Listen to your wife on this one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

You're just one in a population of 70 million, just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. What I see on the Thai news makes road rage fairly commonplace, not saying every case ends up as a fatality, but Thais behind the wheel tend to have short fuses.

Watch less Thai news maybe?

Many years ago, my driving instructor told me if I needed to sound my horn, it was because I was the person who got myself into the situation through inadequate driving skills.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vogie said:

If you don't want shooting it would be advisable not to sound your horn, I am not being flippant. Oh if I can just add, the middle finger is a no no too.

stop lying to him, beep all u want, Thais are right up there among  the worst drivers in the world, they need to be told and put in line when they do something illegal and stupid. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike West said:

stop lying to him, beep all u want, Thais are right up there among  the worst drivers in the world, they need to be told and put in line when they do something illegal and stupid. 

Splendid..

You tell 'em.

I am very sure that they will listen to you-all 67 million of 'em.

Forward the Light Brigade..

Remember  the Charge they made...

7 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I beeped the horn a lot and then got behind him and flashed the lights. He then drove extremely fast away from me and his car emitted black smoke everywhere. 

You are a complete idiot.

There are some (read most) on here who curse Thai drivers and their habits.

You are obviously assimilating very quickly into Thai customs and habits. Well done.

Next, buy yourself a gun and simply drive up behind him next time without blowing the horn and flashing your lights.

Then give him a double-tap through your windscreen....that'll teach him eh?

8 hours ago, bbabythai said:
8 hours ago, vogie said:

If you don't want shooting it would be advisable not to sound your horn, I am not being flippant.

are you serious?

Of course you can use your horn here, but you have to learn the correct "horn-language" or "horn-etiquette".. such as a quick, light tap to let someone know you're there. If you decide to use it in anger and lean on it, then you could get into a very unpleasant situation if you're honking at the wrong person.

• Like 1

Light taps on the horn appear to indicate that the driver isn't going to give way to you. I have used it in anger but was severely chastised by the wife and have since resisted the temptation, except when I really fancy a bit severe chastising. I lean over from the passenger seat and blow the horn when she's driving which makes her completely apoplectic! I think that over use of the horn has something to do with "loss of face" for both parties.

What baffles me is that Vietnam has a similar culture yet you have to endure a continuous cacophony of car horns when driving round Saigon.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

If you think that's "personal abuse" you know what to do, go for it.

As an inveterate grammar Nazi, I wouldn't dare! Besides, I quite enjoy a bit of personal abuse from the ladies. Are you a woman, by any chance? 555

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

As an inveterate grammar Nazi, I wouldn't dare! Besides, I quite enjoy a bit of personal abuse from the ladies. Are you a woman, by any chance? 555

Do you normally derail every topic you post in, it does get a little tedious reading comments like "it should be a capital tee" you have spelt this wrong, it's time you grew up and stopped playing the smart ar$e. 

• Sad 1

Just now, vogie said:

Do you normally derail every topic you post in, it does get a little tedious reading comments like "it should be a capital tee" you have spelt this wrong, it's time you grew up and stopped playing the smart ar$e. 

Just trying to inject a bit of light humour into your humdrum life. No need to thank me.