Why are there less people in bars from 2009 to 2015 in southern Phuket

AdamTheFarang

9 minutes ago, sanemax said:

How many Thais are now taking Chinese lessons these days , compared to those talking English lessons ?

And what were the numbers from five years back ?

My cousin (Thai) told me who is studying tourism. She said they need to study basic Chinese speaking (PutongHua) few years ago since they foresee a huge influx of Chinese coming.

Chinese speaking become more important compared with 10 years ago. Having said that learning English is still dominant everywhere including in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wallwallyau said:

My cousin (Thai) told me who is studying tourism. She said they need to study basic Chinese speaking (PutongHua) few years ago since they foresee a huge influx of Chinese coming.

Chinese speaking become more important compared with 10 years ago. Having said that learning English is still dominant everywhere including in Thailand.

Whether the huge influx of Chinese tourists will remain a constant or just be a temporary thing , remains to be seen 

18 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Whether the huge influx of Chinese tourists will remain a constant or just be a temporary thing , remains to be seen 

I am afraid that the influx of Chinese will keep going regardless their economy status  since Mainland Chinese doesn't have many places they can choose for their vacations due to visa limitation and Thailand is one of nearby countries that they can easy to go and travel . The problem is that they don't spend much money on small-medium stores or restaurants and they don't have a habit to drink the beer/wine in the bar not like westerner. Also, there are a lot zero-baht tours which force them to spend in those stores which actually own by same Chinese tour company. That cannot really help local business owner.

1 minute ago, wallwallyau said:

I am afraid that the influx of Chinese will keep going regardless their economy status  since Mainland Chinese doesn't have many places they can choose for their vacations due to visa limitation and Thailand is one of nearby countries that they can easy to go and travel . The problem is that they don't spend much money on small-medium stores or restaurants and they don't have a habit to drink the beer/wine in the bar not like westerner. Also, there are a lot zero-baht tours which force them to spend in those stores which actually own by same Chinese tour company. That cannot really help local business owner.

Correction the new civilian  government will squash these pests numbers. They are useless to Thai people only big players are getting rich

The Chinese who come here are just the small percentage that have a passport yet.

Basically in the south west of China you have the same scenery and food as in Thailand. Don't know about the beaches in China but there is Hainan island.

1 hour ago, wallwallyau said:

Ah so...………….

More faulty boats required, along with the ability of these tourists to hire very high-powered motorbikes without having licences, and many, many more buses of low quality with poor braking systems.

And on that note, just this afternoon I witnessed that very thing in the link road down past Prince of Songkla University where there are a few "duty-free palaces" and a very large and old bus (although painted to look a lot newer) swung out onto the dual carriageway and I will swear that the edge of the bodywork was no more than 2 inches above the tarmac as it lurched round the corner. 

Even more surprising was that when it became upright there wasn't a great deal more space between the bodywork and the road and I would say, with an engineering background, that the suspension on this thing was absolutely shot, all-round. 

Would have to surely be a candidate for poor roadholding on downhill bends, even more so on wet roads.

Hopefully these people will be able to see that Phuket is a final resting place for the cheap and unwary!

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Ah so...………….

More faulty boats required, along with the ability of these tourists to hire very high-powered motorbikes without having licences, and many, many more buses of low quality with poor braking systems.

And on that note, just this afternoon I witnessed that very thing in the link road down past Prince of Songkla University where there are a few "duty-free palaces" and a very large and old bus (although painted to look a lot newer) swung out onto the dual carriageway and I will swear that the edge of the bodywork was no more than 2 inches above the tarmac as it lurched round the corner. 

Even more surprising was that when it became upright there wasn't a great deal more space between the bodywork and the road and I would say, with an engineering background, that the suspension on this thing was absolutely shot, all-round. 

Would have to surely be a candidate for poor roadholding on downhill bends, even more so on wet roads.

Hopefully these people will be able to see that Phuket is a final resting place for the cheap and unwary!

Once you accept Mainland Chinese toruist as your primary customer, you will not easy to get rid of them becuase China have their own consideration due to society stability. For example, HongKong have raised the request to reduce the no of Mainalnd Chinese toruist to come HK due to capacity issue. But, Chinese government refused the request and stated that you only can accept it since at the begining you requested to allows more Chinese tourist to come Hongkong to boost your economic firstly. The suituation is quite similar to Thailand now. As a result, only big players and high-so ppl get rich and most of benefit.

47 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Ah so...………….

Wow Chinese are going to Hat Yai - I did not think it was that safe down there and many army and Police checkpoints? 

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Ah so...………….

How do you have a Thai cousin by marriage?

3 hours ago, wallwallyau said:

How do you have a Thai cousin through marriage?

Multiple reasons, as others have mentioned exchange rates are hurting the 2 week millionaires, other is changing demographics, not only in rationality but also types, less guys on piss up,  more family's coming here.

But probably biggest impact is bar culture in most of the world is in decline, bad economys, drink drive laws, drink responsibily campaigns even social media keeping people'in the loop' are all having an impact.

• Like 1

More bars, less tourists in the bars, a declining Expat customer base that is not being replaced, declining exchange rates and increased prices and older not so sexy bar girls. With so many negative factors, hard to see the bar business picking up anytime soon. I am glad I am on the stool side of the bar. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/16/2018 at 6:05 PM, xylophone said:

I wasn't aware of that!!! What happened? He wasn't that old was he?

62 young - he - as far as I know fell by accident, out of a second or first floor window in his home - after a Party in Austria. ?

• Sad 1