Defamation/set-up in Thailand concerns

TRichards

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

I think you are failing to look at the whole picture here.  No, he does not have to tell you his name, but look at the situation objectively: If someone made a criminal complaint about you to police then do you really think they would start sending you anonymous emails about it.  I very much doubt it.  If they emailed you at all there would be zero reason to hide behind a non de plume.  The odds that the person behind the emails has made a complaint to police about you is genuine is very, very slim.....unless there's more to the story and there's something pertinent you're not telling us!

His objective seems to be to keep me away from my ex-wife. I've no plans to see her, but he seems to think differently. He knows that the police would release me after X hours or days of investigation, so I think his tactic is to intimidate me into not even going to Thailand in the first place.  That seems to be his preferred option to me actually being arrested then released in Thailand, and is logical because it keeps me as far away as possible. 

Whether or not the police thing is a bluff is what I need to find out. 

Edited by TRichards

On 7/12/2018 at 2:06 PM, TRichards said:

Sorry, I've no idea where they are, what they are, or if they even exist. 

If you know for sure that you haven`t defamed anyone, then no problem.

This person could be anybody, even your ex-wife.

First thing, do a trace on the email headers, then find the IP address of the sender, that will give you some idea of where they`re being sent from. Keep and print out copies of the emails.

If you have a facebook account, set the privacy levels to friends only.

Don`t respond to the emails, refuse to participate in the game the person wants to play.

That`s all you need to do and shouldn`t let this worry you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

If you know for sure that you haven`t defamed anyone, then no problem.

You're assuming that he hasn't reported something to the police, that I won't be arrested upon arrival, that the police won't be expecting bribes from me, and I'll not need to spend on a lawyer to be able to return to my holiday. Any of those things happening counts as a problem in my book.

Edited by TRichards

3 hours ago, TRichards said:

You're assuming that he hasn't reported something to the police, that I won't be arrested upon arrival, that the police won't be expecting bribes from me, and I'll not need to spend on a lawyer to be able to return to my holiday. Any of those things happening counts as a problem in my book.

Police do actually investigate things and won't seek an arrest warrant unless there is compelling evidence against someone.  A complaint about someone does not automatically mean an arrest warrant is issued.

I really think you're worrying too much about this!

3 hours ago, TRichards said:

Rubbish.

If you have not committed any serious defamation against anybody, and there is no evidence to the contrary, then tell this person either to do their worst or get stuffed. Also, as I`ve already mentioned, check out the email headers to find their origins. Or PM me the email header script and I will check for you.

if someone is using threats to try and stop you visiting Thailand, this is classified as harassment and even a form of blackmail. 

Maybe there is more to this than you`re telling us?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mstevens said:

Police do actually investigate things and won't seek an arrest warrant unless there is compelling evidence against someone.  A complaint about someone does not automatically mean an arrest warrant is issued.

I really think you're worrying too much about this!

Sorry but I lack your faith in the decency of professionalism of the Thai police. In my opinion they are not to be trusted and I don't want to risk even a 1% chance of having to deal with them because of a fake complaint of criminal behaviour. I've no idea why defamation, were I actually guilty of it, is even a criminal offence, and I don't want to find out why.  

6 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Rubbish.

If you have not committed any serious defamation against anybody, and there is no evidence to the contrary, then tell this person either to do their worst or get stuffed. Also, as I`ve already mentioned, check out the email headers to find their origins. Or PM me the email header script and I will check for you.

if someone is using threats to try and stop you visiting Thailand, this is classified as harassment and even a form of blackmail. 

Maybe there is more to this than you`re telling us?

I don't know if this person has created any evidence for the police to get their teeth into. Sorry, I don't understand the importance of finding out the email origins. He's already told me he's my ex wife's new partner. My ex wife lives in Bangkok.

Yes I agree that what he's doing is harassment. I don't want to get into a legal battle. I simply want to find out if the police will trouble me if I decide to go ahead with my holiday. Someone earlier mentioned that there are agencies who can check blacklists and that type of thing. That seems to be the most straightforward approach. Can anyone name such an agency? I think that's all I need.  

50 minutes ago, TRichards said:

Sorry but I lack your faith in the decency of professionalism of the Thai police. In my opinion they are not to be trusted and I don't want to risk even a 1% chance of having to deal with them because of a fake complaint of criminal behaviour. I've no idea why defamation, were I actually guilty of it, is even a criminal offence, and I don't want to find out why.  

Due to your obvious paranoia, I would cancel the trip to Thailand and never visit again.  Seriously, even if you get a criminal arrest warrant check done and it comes up empty, who's to say that the Thai Police aren't taking their time and the next day - i.e. before you travel to Thailand - a warrant is issued in your name.  You'll never have peace of mind so the best thing to do is cancel and go somewhere else.  Plenty of other countries out there!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Due to your obvious paranoia, I would cancel the trip to Thailand and never visit again.  

I've no idea why you are mocking my caution. Threats of having arranged an arrest by the Thai police from someone who presumably has mental health problems are not to be taken lightly in my view. I've paid out nearly £1000 on hotels for 17 nights. If there's a simple check that an agency can run, I'll take it. I could get it done later in the year, a few weeks before Christmas.

Edited by TRichards
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TRichards said:

I've no idea why you are mocking my caution. Threats of having arranged an arrest by the Thai police from someone who presumably has mental health problems are not to be taken lightly in my view. I've paid out nearly £1000 on hotels for 17 nights. If there's a simple check that an agency can run, I'll take it. I could get it done later in the year, a few weeks before Christmas.

Check with the Thai Embassy in your country if there's a problem, jesu.

7 hours ago, TRichards said:

I don't know if this person has created any evidence for the police to get their teeth into. Sorry, I don't understand the importance of finding out the email origins. He's already told me he's my ex wife's new partner. My ex wife lives in Bangkok.

Yes I agree that what he's doing is harassment. I don't want to get into a legal battle. I simply want to find out if the police will trouble me if I decide to go ahead with my holiday. Someone earlier mentioned that there are agencies who can check blacklists and that type of thing. That seems to be the most straightforward approach. Can anyone name such an agency? I think that's all I need.  

What do you mean, you don`t know if the person has created any evidence the police could get their teeth into? Like what for example?

There are no such agencies available that can check if there is anything about you on police files. You would need to hire a Thai lawyer for that job, only they can gain access to police information on your behalf, and that won`t be cheap.

Do what mstevens suggests and don`t visit Thailand, is the best advice, otherwise the only other option is to try potluck and hope for the best.

Still say; there is more to this then you`re telling us. Sounds like a hopeless case.

Your accuser might be male or female. Everything about the email author could be fake.. Except the fact that that person knows your ex.

In my case an angry female freind wrote to me.. pretending to be her new bf.. With similar threats.. Arrest at the airport.. Photo circulating the country etc etc. Truly scary yes.. But logic told me otherwise and I smelled a rat. I had done nothing wrong. Nothing. I was actually accused of giving my ex gf cancer. know. Seriously. The "stress I caused her brought on cancer" . Stupid I know.. But.. Scary stuff. I arrived.. Passport stamped.. It was all a load of rubbish. I suspect it was an attempt to drop the fake charges to get money. Extortion said my Embassy. Enjoy your Christmas in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't know, but the OP's original post and subsequent negative responses; rejecting a plethora of well-meaning, sound advice leads me to question why he seems so determined to try and find a solution to an (as yet) non-existent problem.

There is of course a stunningly simple answer (which has already been suggested and rejected). It is to forget about holidaying in Thailand and write off the cost. Then take a nice non-stressful restful holiday in another part of the world. OK, so you lose some money but hey, what's that when set against peace of mind?

Regards,

Joe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

I don't know, but the OP's original post and subsequent negative responses; rejecting a plethora of well-meaning, sound advice leads me to question why he seems so determined to try and find a solution to an (as yet) non-existent problem.

So you think I should agree with everyone, and do nothing about preventing the potential problem occurring?

2 hours ago, TRichards said:

"do nothing about preventing the potential problem occurring"

Jeez man, there you go again! Be honest with yourself, you don't really want a solution do you? You just want to keep the thread alive by ignoring every positive and helpful response. The potential problem is really just inside your head, so stop wittering on about: false "evidence"; threats of arrest by the police; lawyers and agencies checking on non-existent "blacklists"; the ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend.

Also, by cherry-picking one sentence from my response you've neatly chosen to ignore what I considered to be, helpful advice in my reply to you, so here it is again:

"There is of course a stunningly simple answer (which has already been suggested and rejected). It is to forget about holidaying in Thailand and write off the cost. Then take a nice non-stressful restful holiday in another part of the world. OK, so you lose some money but hey, what's that when set against peace of mind?"

Regards,

Joe

Edited by Shoeless Joe
typo

Some years ago while waiting for my passport to be stamped for my retirement extension at the old near airport branch, I was sitting down having having a coffee on a table outside the building when one of the immigration officers joined me at the table.

We began chatting and during our conversation told me that they receive scores of letters and emails each month from Farangs trying to grass up other Farangs for this or that.

He said that immigration just delete the emails and bin the letters, they are not interested. I know many here that are quite paranoid and worry unduly about the most trivial of matters, when in-fact it take something very serious to make the police get off their backsides and actually arrest people. (true).

2 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Some years ago while waiting for my passport to be stamped for my retirement extension at the old near airport branch, I was sitting down having having a coffee on a table outside the building when one of the immigration officers joined me at the table.

We began chatting and during our conversation told me that they receive scores of letters and emails each month from Farangs trying to grass up other Farangs for this or that.

He said that immigration just delete the emails and bin the letters, they are not interested. I know many here that are quite paranoid and worry unduly about the most trivial of matters, when in-fact it take something very serious to make the police get off their backsides and actually arrest people. (true).

I guess from now on I will have to go and complain personally.

8 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Jeez man, there you go again! Be honest with yourself, you don't really want a solution do you? You just want to keep the thread alive by ignoring every positive and helpful response. The potential problem is really just inside your head, so stop wittering on about: false "evidence"; threats of arrest by the police; lawyers and agencies checking on non-existent "blacklists"; the ex-girlfriend and her boyfriend.

Also, by cherry-picking one sentence from my response you've neatly chosen to ignore what I considered to be, helpful advice in my reply to you, so here it is again:

"There is of course a stunningly simple answer (which has already been suggested and rejected). It is to forget about holidaying in Thailand and write off the cost. Then take a nice non-stressful restful holiday in another part of the world. OK, so you lose some money but hey, what's that when set against peace of mind?"

Regards,

Joe

You don't understand the situation, and reposting your own advice and insisting I heed it achieves nothing.

I lived in Thailand for a number of years and had a highly enjoyable social life there. My holiday is to visit a number of friends I haven't seen for two years, and I'd rather not write it and them off purely because of someone harassing me who may have set me up to be arrested. I asked a number of those friends for advice but nothing promising was provided, hence this thread.

I'm not "wittering on", I'm keeping the topic going in the hope that more info will be provided on my preferred option, suggestion of an agent who can investigate this for me and find out if there's a problem or not, because I'd much rather prevent the possibility of problems now than try to fix them on arrival at Christmas.

Here's a better suggestion than you telling me to "stop wittering on". If you don't like my posts, don't read them. Thanks.  

Edited by TRichards

On 7/14/2018 at 8:35 AM, Shoeless Joe said:

There is of course a stunningly simple answer (which has already been suggested and rejected). It is to forget about holidaying in Thailand and write off the cost. Then take a nice non-stressful restful holiday in another part of the world. OK, so you lose some money but hey, what's that when set against peace of mind?

Regards,

Joe

EXACTLY. This is starting to sound more and more like a "wind-up" thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TRichards said:

I'm not "wittering on", I'm keeping the topic going in the hope that more info will be provided on my preferred option, suggestion of an agent who can investigate this for me and find out if there's a problem or not,

OK, so you're not wittering on, (you just seem to be!).

1) There is not, as far as I (and others previously posting on this thread) know, any agent (or agency)  that "investigates" a possibly defamatory (probably non-existent) claim by a third party

2) I'm not insisting you take my advice. I just put it out there as an option for you to have a holiday without worrying.

3) It's up to you whether or not to take heed of much well-meaning advice from other people scattered throughout this thread. But you insist on asking for more

4) You should know that if you post on TVF, or any other social media platforms there will be responses. I suggest that if they're not to your taste then YOU need not reply

5) As a last resort you could employ a Thai private investigator (Google is your friend) to check out your concerns

6) Last and finally (and as has already been suggested), fly into Thailand for your holiday with copies of all your "evidence", which you can present to both immigration officials and  / or the police should they show any interest whatsoever

Joe

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:08 AM, JTXR said:

prove your innocence.  If you're still in contact with your ex, maybe you could send her an email along the lines of "... You know I didn't defame anyone; why are you doing this....?", hoping for a reply that admits your innocence.

Wrong, contact should be avoided at all costs as this will inflame things worse. The other post was right, go to a country near here, and meet your new lady there. Do not attempt to come to Thai. as you are aware, a few dollars can sway a lot of people.

• Like 1

If you haven't been to Thailand for 2 years and just recently started receiving these emails, you need to ask yourself:  "How do they know you are planning a trip back"?  You didn't receive these emails just out of the blue.  How many people have you told about your planned trip? Through a process of elimination, you should be able to narrow down the source.  The source may even be closer to home. 

• Like 2

We'll, if they were really trying to get you and went through the trouble, telling you would be the last thing they'd do...

sounds like an an email trying to get you to respond. Emails can be changed once received and they still have the header and ip on them which can be possibly linked to you legally though would take some serious effort. 

Forget responding, block the email address, and if it's a web email service they may have your password on their computer somewhere which were stored, the list goes on...

Edited by Dick Crank

26 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

If you haven't been to Thailand for 2 years and just recently started receiving these emails, you need to ask yourself:  "How do they know you are planning a trip back"?  You didn't receive these emails just out of the blue.  How many people have you told about your planned trip? Through a process of elimination, you should be able to narrow down the source.  The source may even be closer to home. 

Best post so far, someone who knows that you are coming for Christmas has spilled the beans, perhaps your ex wifes new partner is now a member of the same social circle and doesn't want you on the scene at Christmas cocking up his social calendar.

If you really are losing sleep over this issue, there is likely only one reasonable answer. You will need to hire a detective here to investigate whether or not a defamation claim has been filed against you. It will cost some money, and you will need to be sure to find a reputable outfit, but they should be able to make this determination. They will also likely be able to find the new bf of your ex and give you some details about him. And possibly make some determinations about the email.

As others have pointed out, this is likely a waste of time and money, as the threat is probably nothing. But, personally, I feel the same as you about getting picked up at the airport and dealing with the "system". So it may be worth a try.