CHANGE? USA Income verification for retirement visa extension Chonburi/Jomtien

Just read today that Chang Mai Immigration has started asking for bank information to support the USA income verification affidavit for retirement visa extensions.

Is Jomtien/Chonburi Immigration NOW also asking US citizens with and income affidavit for bank statements?

I need to do my Non-Imm "O" retirement extension in 60 days here at Jomtien/Chonburi

Edited by likerdup1

Any reports from Americans at Jomtien/Chonburi doing a retirement visa 1 year extension using the embassy affidavit income verification? If not I might just go there myself today and see if I can ask for the list of docs and income verification methods accepted.

1 hour ago, likerdup1 said:

Just read today that Chang Mai Immigration has started asking for bank information to support the USA income verification affidavit for retirement visa extensions.

Is Jomtien/Chonburi Immigration NOW also asking US citizens with and income affidavit for bank statements?

I need to do my Non-Imm "O" retirement extension in 60 days here at Jomtien/Chonburi

Actually I have some questions about that happening in Chiang Mai. I have only seen one report of it. Also I am sure it would be for every income proof not only those from the US,

No reports of Jomtien wanting it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I makes no difference to me since what I put on my affidavit is exactly what I get. I also have a bank book showing ever satang of it coming in minus $5 for the transfer fee.

Other offices that want the proof now ask for it for those from all countries. Immigration is not aware of the requirements of every country. Some embassies that want proof are not all that stringent on their requirements.

I think this begs the question: If I have enough verifiable income (over 800,000 THB per year) do I have to transfer a minimum of 800,000THB into Thailand? I was under the impression that 800,000 of verifiable income from your country was acceptable and other ways of verifying enough money to live on was transfers of 65000THB per month or 800,000 in a Thai bank or a combination of the 2 to equal 800,000THB

I have way over the 800,000THB required income but I do not transfer more than I need to live on, which is less than 800,000THB.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You do not have to show all of it coming into the country. What I wrote is in my case since I have it direct deposited to my bank account.

It also does not have to be shown in a Thai bank book. You could show banks statement from a bank in your home country or proof of a pension that you are paid.

That is what I thought and this is where these discussions seem to get off track. 

In another thread I had suggested that retirees could show 1099-Rs to back up the income affidavit if asked. There are ways to prove your income.

Edited by jmd8800

Many forum-members use that office/desk for retirement-extensions, so I would have expected reports if this was an issue for retirees.

The family-desk is another matter.  In my case, they found a way to block my family-based extension based on "un-obtanium" landlord-docs.  It is unknown if they would have gotten around to questioning income if that ruse hadn't worked, but it wasn't mentioned.

As long as a desk's personnel have sufficient agent-payoff applications coming in to fund their lifestyle, they won't need to push the issue on income-docs.  But if too high a percentage of applications are being done in-person at the official fee-rate (no brown envelopes), then I would expect that move would come into play.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

where did you read this? 

6 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

I just did my retirement extension with the USA Consulate income verification 2 weeks ago....and nothing more..... but I know that Immigration officers can ask for your blood test if they wanted.

Did you do it in CM?

I asked about this at desk 8 Chonburi immigration this afternoon. There is no change as of today. I think the Chang Mai incident may be an isolated case. We shall see. As of today the income affidavit is accepted at Chonburi with no other requirements to verify the statement.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I makes no difference to me since what I put on my affidavit is exactly what I get. I also have a bank book showing every satang of it coming in minus $5 for the transfer fee.

Other offices that want the proof now ask for it for those from all countries. Immigration is not aware of the requirements of every country. Some embassies that want proof are not all that stringent on their requirements.

When I made a statutory declaration of my income with the Australian Consulate, they were not remotely interested in the income tax return I brought in support.

The basic premise under Australian law is that making a false statutory declaration is a criminal act, subject to fines and/or imprisonment for up to 4 years.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, glegolo said:

Immigration in Thailand knows about you guys, and what you are doing..

They do, because people waaay above your pay grade established this policy.   Get over it.

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, yankee99 said:

where did you read this? 

I would also like to know where did you read this?? I just recently received my extension from CM immigration. I only needed to present my (US) embassy form for proof of income at the time. Several years ago I was told that they might start asking for a certified bank statement the following year, but, when that year arrived no such request was forthcoming.

I guess the most easy thing is for everybody to prepare for beeing future-proof. Checklist regarding money below:

• Income letter if needed
  • Clear bankstatements showing the hard proof

This has been long coming. Everybody knows that, and there is no reason to act surprised. The rules clearly state the amount you are required to have yearly or recieve monthly to be able to live on certain visas or extensions in Thailand. It´s nothing new. The ones that have been faking their amounts on income letter that always been ccepted are in for reality-check, and will be exposed or have to clear up their situation. The ones that have been honest and living by the actual rules, will still have a worry-free life. It´s nothing strange with that, and it will not be unfair in any way either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Yes, of course they have the right to ask for supporting documentation and for most of us that should not be a problem.

I've always had supporting documentation ready for anything I've claimed and I'm sure that applies to many others.

What supporting documentation do you have on hand when you apply for an extension of stay? Has it ever been asked for?

I think that many of us are just trying to understand what forms of supporting documentation might be acceptable? 

For me, my affidavit matches my previous year's annualized income (multiple sources), as reported on my 1040, divided by twelve. I have supporting documents: 1099-R, 1099-SSA, and of course a tax return. But who knows if Immigration will accept those documents.

I do not move 65,000 THB every month from the U.S. to Thailand. My local bank balance(s) range from 350,000 to 900,000 throughout the year. I can maintain 800,000, but I just need to plan for that, especially if it has to be seasoned for 90 days.