Sick of the Thai bash

starky

2 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Leave the pigeons alone ?

Like shooting fish in a barrel all the old farts read half a sentence go off on a tangent and start shooting from the hip. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, starky said:

Now maybe you could point out anywhere in my OP where this topic was ever about kids racing motorcycles

On 7/12/2018 at 6:13 PM, starky said:

Guys like Rossi were RACING ( yeah I'll shout it) go-karts and mini-moto when they were 9 or 10 years old. That's a worldwide competitive sport.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Yes guys like Rossi were racing motorcycles at a young age. As in children can competently ride to a high level. How did you extrapolate that into interpreting my post as a pro Street racing thread? Punctuation exists for a reason much like comprehension. I see no problem with children learning to ride motorcycles. End of. Understand? 

• Like 1

Sweet good for you! Now maybe you could point out anywhere in my OP where this topic was ever about kids racing motorcycles or not wearing appropriate safety gear and not solely about the issue I have with so many having an issue with kids learning to ride motorcycles in a country where that is probably the only mode of transport many of them will ever be able to afford
Haha your original post was provocative and intentionally worded to bring these responses out as you well know.
Nobody has any issues at all with kids learning and racing, that is a great thing for them to do. The replies are exactly what you were anticipating with a baited topic..
Kids on the roads putting others in harms way and damaging others property, no.
Kids on tracks or in fields with flip flops, fill yer boots, they only hurt themselves pretty much as we did growing up.... I'm all for that and the police wont be chasing them off like they would in our "nanny states".......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I didn't grow up in a Nanny state. I grew up in ex-Yugoslavia and lived through the nastiest civil war on the planet at the time. Yet, even my country had responsible parents and a responsible society. Hardly any children were ever killed riding motorbikes or just playing.

I hate the term nanny state, simply because people like you like to bash it (oh, the irony) while reaping the rewards of that same nanny state and living in Thailand.

Your OP is a bit shameful if not downright ridiculous to be honest.

Kids learning to ride motorcycles is shameful? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Anythingleft? said:

Haha your original post was provocative and intentionally worded to bring these responses out as you well know.
Nobody has any issues at all with kids learning and racing, that is a great thing for them to do. The replies are exactly what you were anticipating with a baited topic..
Kids on the roads putting others in harms way and damaging others property, no.
Kids on tracks or in fields with flip flops, fill yer boots, they only hurt themselves pretty much as we did growing up.... I'm all for that and the police wont be chasing them off like they would in our "nanny states".......

Actually mate I do see a lot of people on this forum with a lot of issues filthy on kids riding motorcycles in the same generalised vein as I see that Thais can't drive, Thai males are stupid drunks  and countless other issues I could toss up that appear here on a daily basis. My thread wasn't baited. People read what they wanted to read and responded accordingly. The very first post was about racing. I suggested that one of the best in the world was racing at a young age which is true and demonstrates his level of ability. I never suggested that I thought Thai children should be racing on roads. That was purely other peoples bias.

• Like 2

Thais are well aware of their own shortcomings. I will let them solve their own problems. I notice they don't have mass shootings on a regular basis here, and no problems with street crime.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Thais are well aware of their own shortcomings. I will let them solve their own problems. I notice they don't have mass shootings on a regular basis here, and no problems with street crime.

Thank you. You are correct, of course at least on the mass shootings thing. Street crime weeeell yes if you don't hang in falang ghettos surrounded by dealers, addicts and prostitutes sure otherwise maybe not so much

Edited by starky

For what it's worth, I have ridden motorcycles all of my life from a young age, starting from motocross Suzuki RM 125 all the way up to my departed Kawasaki D3 1100 ZZR Sports Tourer on the road.

I always wore a helmet, and the full monty on and off road, knee pads, back protectors, leathers etc etc, too easy to die and or loose skin.

We have twin boys who are 14, but going on to 9, and have been caught on motorbikes with their as stupid school friends flat chat doing 90km/h 3 up, no helmets, no protective gear, dad pulling alongside in his ute and getting them to stop, its just not on, they have access to a 125 Yamaha when mum wants something up the road, but until their brains connect to the dangers of unprotected riding, they are going nowhere fast on a motorbike.

Home detention will last as long as it takes for them to grow a brain or two, they are your typical Thai boys, who want to be in gangs and try drugs and the like, and as I said to them, your time can come now, the choice is your, pack your bags and go live with your grandparents, cannot understand why they won't go 555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

On Thai roads it is.

Next!

Your a mod as well? Feel free to close the topic then. Next? Yeah righto mate if the thread isn't for you stop replying. The hubris of some of the all knowing, all seeing experts on here never ceases to amaze.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

Going into 3 pages and yet to see any reasonable discussion about the topic I initially raised. Certainly reinforces my opinion of this forum mostly a lot of subjective nonsense, lacking comprehension and reading ability that after 4 or 5 posts has very little to do with what the OP was talking about initially anyway. Like Chinese whispers this joint.

13 minutes ago, starky said:

Going into 3 pages and yet to see any reasonable discussion about the topic I initially raised. Certainly reinforces my opinion of this forum mostly a lot of subjective nonsense, lacking comprehension and reading ability that after 4 or 5 posts has very little to do with what the OP was talking about initially anyway. Like Chinese whispers this joint.

The main reason for not having a discussion is that you have your view on this topic, and everybody else has another view. Your only argument is "It's like swimming the sooner you learn the better you are" and somebody else explained already why this argument doesn't make sense. Now you are complaining because nobody here shares your view and provides arguments for your view to have a discussion? Any other argument from you why people here should appreciate children driving motorbikes on public roads?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, starky said:

Nice rant feel free to dip out if the OP isn't to your liking. Don't know where you get the comparison between pride and dead children and thank you for wishing that evil on me,  I know where you got the dick head from but you look at one every morning.

yep I sure do, every morning when I turn on my computer and see your mutts face on your posts. You want to give an opinion and then when people disagree with you, you get p*ssed, I really feel sorry for you, must not be easy lacking a decent education and having the ability to think rationally but dont worry I am sure you will grow up one day. Let me know if you need another dummy to spit, have a good one

Edited by seajae

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Rossi did not race his go-cart / bike on the streets, weaving in and out of lanes and he did not have 1-3 other, younger school kids on the bike either.. and Rossi DID wear racing clothes and s helmet - all of which can NOT be said of the dozens of kids on bikes that I see every morning when bringing my daughter to school

"Rossi did not race his go-cart / bike on the streets, weaving in and out of lanes.." 

Really? How do you know that?

"...and he did not have 1-3 other, younger school kids on the bike either.." 

"...and Rossi DID wear racing clothes and s helmet...!

Regardless, you really missed the point of the OP, didn't you?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:13 PM, starky said:

OK. I know being a foreign based forum it's easy to bash Thais and the biggest I find, generally speaking, are Thais are stupid, Thais can't drive and kids riding motorbikes. I could argue all day about the first and second but this thread is about the third. My mates and I were all riding peewee 50's and better as soon as our feet could hold a bike up.  Guys like Rossi were RACING ( yeah I'll shout it) go-karts and mini-moto when they were 9 or 10 years old. That's a worldwide competitive sport. So I don't know what sort of cotton wool, squarehead, sheltered existence most of you whingers grew up in but children riding motos isn't exclusive to Thailand and in a country where the moto is probably the most expensive transport most families will ever own why the <deleted> boo hoo sooky stories about kids on motorcycles? It's like swimming the sooner you learn the better you are. Have at it.

Thing is, starky, the massive majority of Thaivisa posters are the personification of perfection in all aspects of life and therefore they are all entitled to have a go at any Thai person or Thai event (in their feeble minds, anyway).  They also do not understand the concept of hypocrisy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Evolution of culture and social thinking across 1 or 2 generations, is fun and interesting, and also demonstrates the power of group think and conformity relative to constant messaging and government propaganda - usually called "campaigns" or, in Thailand, "crack downs"!  ?

Thinking of the current state of play here in Thailand.....  when I was growing up in Murica, in broad stoke hindsight, there wasn't a prevalent culture of safety either. 

Marketing to the American masses by the car industry, and thus shaping of public desires and opinion, wasn't about fancy safety features and fuel efficiency.  

I was never told that riding in the back of an open pick up truck was an egregious safety issue.   I do recall my Uncle once told me that his camper shell (Carry Boy) on the back would "protect" us in the unlikely event his other adage didn't hold true...... that he drove better when drunk, and drunk better when he drove.

Motorcycle helmets?  Pfffft!  Wind through the hair, baby!   Remember hearing pissed off bikers say they would quit riding if the gubmint forced them to wear a stupid brain bucket.

Seat belts were a pain in the ass, literally, so they were typically stuffed down between the seat cushions, especially in the back seat.  I think it was my Grandfather who explained that rear seat belts weren't really necessary because the backs of the front seats would prevent forward momentum in the very unlikely event of hard braking.  I nodded my then 8-year old head in understanding and complete agreement.

Sounds outrageously ignorant in 2018, after decades of messaging and safety propaganda from the government, education and life experience in a more "modern" era than the previous generation.   If you get in a car in the US now and don't automatically fasten your seat belt, they look at you like you're from Mars.  My Grandfather would probably snort at them, if he was still alive. 

I think my grandfather was reincarnated into a 70 year old Thai country gent who once got into the back of our SUV here.  I had to suggest he buckle up, and he looked at ME like EYE was the one from Mars!   The wife followed up in Thai and from the back seat l heard, "Ooooh!  Chai, chai, ok, Sah-tafe-tee Goood" + big toothless grin and a thumbs up.

I'm pretty sure he, being my reincarnated grandfather, was thinking to himself:

"Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, silly farang and his over-the-top Elf and Sah-Tafe-Tee" nonsense!   Every people know already, no need seat belt in back seat!  Pffffttt!"  :clap2:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seajae said:

yep I sure do, every morning when I turn on my computer and see your mutts face on your posts. You want to give an opinion and then when people disagree with you, you get p*ssed, I really feel sorry for you, must not be easy lacking a decent education and having the ability to think rationally but dont worry I am sure you will grow up one day. Let me know if you need another dummy to spit, have a good one

Your the one dummy spitting goose and hoping I see my children dead in a morgue and as for the rest I won't comment as you know zero about me.

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

The main reason for not having a discussion is that you have your view on this topic, and everybody else has another view. Your only argument is "It's like swimming the sooner you learn the better you are" and somebody else explained already why this argument doesn't make sense. Now you are complaining because nobody here shares your view and provides arguments for your view to have a discussion? Any other argument from you why people here should appreciate children driving motorbikes on public roads?

No basically like always most decided what I meant without reading the OP and making their own interpretation.

Quite happy with people to disagree with my opinion. Actually I don't think everyone disagrees with my view and yes I'm happy with children who are competent, have been well trained and are wearing appropriate safety gear to ride on public roads. Haven't complained once unlike yourself, also "it's like swimming" isn't an argument it's an example of how the longer you do something and the earlier you learn how to do it correctly, generally, will be an indication of your skill level. Feel free however to continue to tell me what I think and what I have said and twist my opinions to fit yours accordingly.  Cheers. Feel free to throw in an "everybody" because of course you are right and I am wrong.

• Like 1

Seems like almost all the replies have riled you to some degree, perhaps your post was not as clear as you thought it was. Maybe rewrite it in the most simple of terms that we, the ignorant masses, can have no excuse to misinterpret it's context......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Seems like almost all the replies have riled you to some degree, perhaps your post was not as clear as you thought it was. Maybe rewrite it in the most simple of terms that we, the ignorant masses, can have no excuse to misinterpret it's context......

Fair play even with the offhand I think I'm better than everybody else crack. So just for your benefit...

In Thailand I have no issue with children learning to ride motorcycles if they are taught correctly, wear correct safety gear, ride responsibly and it increases their confidence and ability to ride on the roads in a country where that is probably the only transport they will ever be able to afford to purchase... 

How's that?

• Like 1

Fair play even with the offhand I think I'm better than everybody else crack. So just for your benefit...

In Thailand I have no issue with children learning to ride motorcycles if they are taught correctly, wear correct safety gear, ride responsibly and it increases their confidence and ability to ride on the roads in a country where that is probably the only transport they will ever be able to afford to purchase... 

How's that?

Magic, I dont believe that there is a single person out there that would disagree with that......

It wasn't a crack either, just that your post is most definitely not clear. None of what you just posted is defined in the OP....

• Thanks 1

Some 1998 - 2003 figures showed the fatality rate of 15 - 19 years/ 20 - 24 years/25 - 30 years all around 7x that of the 10 - 14 years olds

Age/legality - hogwash from people who complain without sound basis

To complain that children are in more danger than anyone else when in a vehicle without a seatbelt, or on a motorsi without a helmet, is using the children factor in an attempt to highlight an issue that is prevalent inThai society way beyond the school children.

My son is 12 he can drive better than me, he has been travelling on a motorsi to school since the age of 3,now he is learning to ride, solo, with a helmet, but still occasionally does a short journey without, so not quite there yet. My older daughter currently rides to school, again a better rider than me, wears a helmet.

Currently neither of them drink, or speed, for now I feel they are safe excepting the idiots in other vehicles. But then, from drunk drivers/speeding drivers/incorrectly maintained vehicles/ pure selfish ignorance, we are all at risk!!

So give us break on the school children dialogue it's a very small part of the issue, if one cares to investigate the accident/fatality vs age ratio

Edited by 473geo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Anythingleft? said:

Magic, I dont believe that there is a single person out there that would disagree with that......

It wasn't a crack either, just that your post is most definitely not clear. None of what you just posted is defined in the OP....

Love a reasonable debate with an intelligent person that doesn't degrade into aggressive crap. You are also correct, I won't ever put my hand up to baiting but my OP could have been perceived as controversial and maybe a little cheeky but the perceived bias came from those only that wished to see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Some 1998 - 2003 figures showed the fatality rate of 15 - 19 years/ 20 - 24 years/25 - 30 years all around 7x that of the 10 - 14 years olds

Age/legality - hogwash from people who complain without sound basis

To complain that children are in more danger than anyone else when in a vehicle without a seatbelt, or on a motorsi without a helmet, is using the children factor in an attempt to highlight an issue that is prevalent inThai society way beyond the school children.

My son is 12 he can drive better than me, he has been travelling on a motorsi to school since the age of 3,now he is learning to ride, solo, with a helmet, but still occasionally does a short journey without, so not quite there yet. My older daughter currently rides to school, again a better rider than me, wears a helmet.

Currently neither of them drink, or speed, for now I feel they are safe excepting the idiots in other vehicles. But then, from drunk drivers/speeding drivers/incorrectly maintained vehicles/ pure selfish ignorance, we are all at risk!!

So give us break on the school children dialogue it's a very small part of the issue, if one cares to investigate the accident/fatality vs age ratio

But but but Thai children are irresponsible idiots who race 3 up on the streets like their drunkard, lazy fathers and neglectful mothers who don't care about where their children stay or what they do...right?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, starky said:

But but but Thai children are irresponsible idiots who race 3 up on the streets like their drunkard, lazy fathers and neglectful mothers who don't care about where their children stay or what they do...right?

Well let us not gloss over the fact that your observation may well be partially true. The world is not perfect, just a matter of keeping the downside in context.

On 7/14/2018 at 2:30 AM, seajae said:

14 hours ago, starky said:

Your the one dummy spitting goose and hoping I see my children dead in a morgue and as for the rest I won't comment as you know zero about me.

Love your work Starkey ??  

Notice how 'they' always demean others by doubting their education and morals, when in fact it is always 'them' that lack intelligence and morals.

There is a common thread amongst them all - a liberal/biased education that results in dogmatic thinking and a lack of common sense.

There is an old school phrase that sums them up : "cant see the forest for the trees".  

There is also a new school one too:  "has the vision and mental focus of a goldfish".

23 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

On 7/14/2018 at 2:30 AM, seajae said:

Love your work Starkey ??  

Notice how 'they' always demean others by doubting their education and morals, when in fact it is always 'them' that lack intelligence and morals.

There is a common thread amongst them all - a liberal/biased education that results in dogmatic thinking and a lack of common sense.

There is an old school phrase that sums them up : "cant see the forest for the trees".  

There is also a new school one too:  "has the vision and mental focus of a goldfish".

Who is "them" and "they"?

• Sad 1