Sick of the Thai bash

starky

13 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Rossi did not race his go-cart / bike on the streets, weaving in and out of lanes and he did not have 1-3 other, younger school kids on the bike either.. and Rossi DID wear racing clothes and s helmet - all of which can NOT be said of the dozens of kids on bikes that I see every morning when bringing my daughter to school

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Really Rossi did what as a kid as most boys do who ride and luv motorcycles without nowt  I bet you,  me at 6 and my son at 3 years old did the same;

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

Rossi did not race his go-cart / bike on the streets, weaving in and out of lanes and he did not have 1-3 other, younger school kids on the bike either.. and Rossi DID wear racing clothes and s helmet - all of which can NOT be said of the dozens of kids on bikes that I see every morning when bringing my daughter to school

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, and I don't know him personally, Valentino only ever raced on the track wearing correct racing attire? He never fanged it on the road possibly weaving in and out of traffic? Obviously you know what he did when he was a youngster so maybe you can enlighten me? 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I am bashing Thai.

How many kids died on the roads while the cave rescue was going on? By my calculation about 30 as there is an article from a Thai publication itself that states 15 children die on Thai roads every 10 days.

deserves all the bashing and then some.

What I am trying to say is I didn't grow up in some sterile nanny state kids were kids, we were all maniacs who took ridiculous chances and survived. Apparently nothing like you guys who have stumbled through life without ever doing anything exciting or risky. I would have rather lived my life than your statistic filled existence. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When i was younger i rode a bike, but it was an old 50cc (or maybe 70cc? somewhere in this range) bike. And i rode it on our private property, not on a 3 way highway where other people are driving 120 and also not 3 up. When i went to school i took the bus, walked or took the bicycle. When i was younger i even "raced", but it were go karts on a private area while wearing a helmet.

What Thai parents allow their children is just irresponsible and shows either a lack of common sense or that they just don't care about their life.

Not saying the roads aren't dangerous here you can die just as easily walking, catching the bus or riding your bicycle. What I am saying is I don't see any issue with kids learning to ride scooters/ motos at a young age which seems to be an endless rant on this forum.

• Like 1

So, and I don't know him personally, Valentino only ever raced on the track wearing correct racing attire? He never fanged it on the road possibly weaving in and out of traffic? Obviously you know what he did when he was a youngster so maybe you can enlighten me? 
Utter crap, Rossi was only born in 79 so a bit late for your glory old days. Racing carts from an early age and with a father who was a pro as well, all on the tracks, so yes, safety gear mandatory....
People who have the luxury of affording trackdays and races dont actually feel the need to toss it off on the road, too much to lose from sliding into a kerb or a lampost..

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, starky said:

What I am trying to say is I didn't grow up in some sterile nanny state kids were kids, we were all maniacs who took ridiculous chances and survived. Apparently nothing like you guys who have stumbled through life without ever doing anything exciting or risky. I would have rather lived my life than your statistic filled existence. 

And you conveniently  ignore the fact that children from that period also died or suffered debilitating injuries.  For every child who survived, another eventually had a physical injury that continues to this day. 

It's like swimming the sooner you learn the better you are. Have at it.

What a strange comparison. When swimming the danger/risk is only on your side, when driving a motorbike that may hurt other people (beside yourself).

Maybe you would say the same when the kids are six years old and would like to drive your car: „The sooner you learn the better you are.“

Only a small problem …. if they survive an accident.

Did you ever think about the consequences (and the responsibility) after a motorcycle accident?

Hopefully you will not give the youths a gun for your mentioned reason.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is your Thai sufficiently proficient enough in order to understand how Thais refer to foreigners (kon daang) no less their ability to sub-divide foreigner into specific sub-groups of foreigners, some of whom are somewhat neutral in the grand scheme of things to those who are viewed as just above animals if that.
You gotta understand that 'kon daang' or foreigner in Thailand means "different people" as opposed to the central Thai culture and ethnicity which essentially makes them the only real people, at least from their stilted views of geographic and ego-politics. 

And imho, one of Thailand's major short-comings in the world of - safety - and specially traffic safety.  By the way, I loved racing motorcart and in my teens, auto-cross and drop-in week-day drag-racing.  But unlike Thailand, even back in the ancient days of the 1950 and 1960, we had commercial venues who knew they had a customer base to appeal to, local governments to regulate and check the safety, and emergency teams at the ready.  I was doing this in the 60s, so over 50 years ago when I was licensed and had my parents permission and support.

Now let's look at Thailand and ask one question -- with all it's First World trappings a mega-cities like Bangkok, why can't this country put together the infrastructure to support Safe, Sanctioned racing?  Maybe it's more fun to incarcerate 'street racers' and beat them with a baseball bat as they try to escape?  No money it in for a certain class of Thai citizen who need their cut.  So I'm all for sanctioned racing.

On the flip side - I'm not for street racing.  Street racing kills.  My daughter was in the passenger side of some smug, little a**holes pickup when he took it off the road doing close to 70mph in a S-turn rated a 30mph.  State Patrol: The poor driver was inexperienced.  You can't blame this 20 year old child for inexperience!  The Judge: He wasn't drunk so the max fine I can impose is $400 misdemeanor traffic ticket.  Sorry your kid got killed.  Nothing a can do.  Sorry!  And the 70 mph estimate based on skid marks.  BS.  Perhaps after losing control of the vehicle at 100 +.  There were witnesses but nobody would step forward.  

I don't even consider this person who killed her to be a man.  And man would own up; I man would apologize;  a man would have talked to the parents, and a man would do what men do - man up.

So dude - this "cotton wool, squarehead, with a sheltered existence" - yeah I have a problem with racing that isn't sanctioned, and virtually no racing in Thailand is.    That definitely is an issue for Thailand.  Feeding fuel to the fire then looking the other way is not the answer.  Bashing those concerned with safety?  Any of your children get killed doing this?  Bet not! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would make a distinction between recreational, casual riding, and even organized racing, from little kids who are untrained, unsupervised, taking Dad's Honda Click out on a routine basis, mixing on the roads with all the other  "stupid" Thais who don't know how to drive and Facebook at the same time.   What could go wrong? 

It's not that Thais are dumb or incapable. They aren't.

The difference here is the lack of training and a generally piss poor culture of safety and awareness in many areas, including driving.  Coming from the West to here, the differences are stark (pun intended) and with a little bit of observation and understanding, easily diagnosed and explained - over and over again.  As the Millennials would say, "It is what it is, bro". 

Personally, I don't find the drivers and driving here as silly as it is in other garden spots I've lived and worked in.  IMV, generally speaking, the aggro seems to come from one extreme or the other.  Bloody idiots, speeding weaving in and out, possibly drunk.  Or the open mouth breathing morons doing 70 in the right lane whilst staring down at his or her mobile phone.  The rationale being it's dangerous to drive 120kph in the left lane while posting on Facebook.  Slower = Safer.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, starky said:

As a kid I did all the under age riding stuff but there was a police force that took me down..

Ended up in front of a Judge a few times, even detention for driving under age....

What happens here...?

Given Thailand's disgraceful roadtoll standing I would suggest that anything that assists in limiting that toll in future should be embraced.

Driver education, enforcement of law and keeping snotty teens off of the road until they have undertaken and passed some minimal driver education might be a start. Add to that seriousky engorvingg drink driving laws and breaches of road rules. Seriously the attitude here is a joke and clearly shows that the Thais have no respect for each other on the roads and I have worked in many countrys, so I am by no means naive to alternate cultures.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

Utter crap, Rossi was only born in 79 so a bit late for your glory old days. Racing carts from an early age and with a father who was a pro as well, all on the tracks, so yes, safety gear mandatory....
People who have the luxury of affording trackdays and races dont actually feel the need to toss it off on the road, too much to lose from sliding into a kerb or a lampost..

Oh so you knew him as well. Brilliant 

9 hours ago, seajae said:

"So I don't know what sort of cotton wool, squarehead, sheltered existence most of you whingers grew up in but children riding motos isn't exclusive to Thailand and in a country where the moto is probably the most expensive transport most families will ever own why the <deleted> boo hoo sooky stories about kids on motorcycles? "

This is pathetic at best, I either walked a few miles or rode my bicycle to school, had no problems riding dirt bikes on the weekend away from public roads and took that many chances it wasnt funny  but one thing we never did was ride on busy streets, there is a difference between learning/doing risky riding and being a total dick and ride on busy roads at speed when unlicensed, weaving in and out of traffic with no helmet. Obviously you are incapable of being realistic, by all means learn to ride but do so where you dont put other peoples lives/property at risk, walk, ride a bicycle or catch a bus to school, big difference between learning to ride and acting like total drop kicks but by all means,  you let your under age unlicensed kids get out on the busy roads riding their bikes through the traffic with no helmets and when they are in the morgue you can tell us all how proud you are off them, bloody pathetic op, big difference between taking chances learning to ride and breaking the law  while acting like d*ckheads

Nice rant feel free to dip out if the OP isn't to your liking. Don't know where you get the comparison between pride and dead children and thank you for wishing that evil on me,  I know where you got the dick head from but you look at one every morning.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

As a kid I did all the under age riding stuff but there was a police force that took me down..

Ended up in front of a Judge a few times, even detention for driving under age....

What happens here...?

Well given that the general consensus on this forum is that Thai adult males are useless, stupid, lazy drunks who's women aren't interested in them anyway might be a good reason to look the other way when it comes to road safety. 

OK. I know being a foreign based forum it's easy to bash Thais and the biggest I find, generally speaking, are Thais are stupid, Thais can't drive and kids riding motorbikes. I could argue all day about the first and second but this thread is about the third. My mates and I were all riding peewee 50's and better as soon as our feet could hold a bike up.  Guys like Rossi were RACING ( yeah I'll shout it) go-karts and mini-moto when they were 9 or 10 years old. That's a worldwide competitive sport. So I don't know what sort of cotton wool, squarehead, sheltered existence most of you whingers grew up in but children riding motos isn't exclusive to Thailand and in a country where the moto is probably the most expensive transport most families will ever own why the boo hoo sooky stories about kids on motorcycles? It's like swimming the sooner you learn the better you are. Have at it.

Well who understand that?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, connda said:

Is your Thai sufficiently proficient enough in order to understand how Thais refer to foreigners (kon daang) no less their ability to sub-divide foreigner into specific sub-groups of foreigners, some of whom are somewhat neutral in the grand scheme of things to those who are viewed as just above animals if that.
You gotta understand that 'kon daang' or foreigner in Thailand means "different people" as opposed to the central Thai culture and ethnicity which essentially makes them the only real people, at least from their stilted views of geographic and ego-politics. 

And imho, one of Thailand's major short-comings in the world of - safety - and specially traffic safety.  By the way, I loved racing motorcart and in my teens, auto-cross and drop-in week-day drag-racing.  But unlike Thailand, even back in the ancient days of the 1950 and 1960, we had commercial venues who knew they had a customer base to appeal to, local governments to regulate and check the safety, and emergency teams at the ready.  I was doing this in the 60s, so over 50 years ago when I was licensed and had my parents permission and support.

Now let's look at Thailand and ask one question -- with all it's First World trappings a mega-cities like Bangkok, why can't this country put together the infrastructure to support Safe, Sanctioned racing?  Maybe it's more fun to incarcerate 'street racers' and beat them with a baseball bat as they try to escape?  No money it in for a certain class of Thai citizen who need their cut.  So I'm all for sanctioned racing.

On the flip side - I'm not for street racing.  Street racing kills.  My daughter was in the passenger side of some smug, little a**holes pickup when he took it off the road doing close to 70mph in a S-turn rated a 30mph.  State Patrol: The poor driver was inexperienced.  You can't blame this 20 year old child for inexperience!  The Judge: He wasn't drunk so the max fine I can impose is $400 misdemeanor traffic ticket.  Sorry your kid got killed.  Nothing a can do.  Sorry!  And the 70 mph estimate based on skid marks.  BS.  Perhaps after losing control of the vehicle at 100 +.  There were witnesses but nobody would step forward.  

I don't even consider this person who killed her to be a man.  And man would own up; I man would apologize;  a man would have talked to the parents, and a man would do what men do - man up.

So dude - this "cotton wool, squarehead, with a sheltered existence" - yeah I have a problem with racing that isn't sanctioned, and virtually no racing in Thailand is.    That definitely is an issue for Thailand.  Feeding fuel to the fire then looking the other way is not the answer.  Bashing those concerned with safety?  Any of your children get killed doing this?  Bet not! 

Sorry to hear it but could you point out to me anywhere I promoted or condoned Street racing in my post. All I stated was I don't have any issue with kids learning to ride motorcycles. I only suggested to a couple of posters who apparently grew up on the motoGP circuit is that I am sure there are more than a few riders who may have had a bit of larrikin in them in their youth.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Know him....present tense..

Sweet good for you! Now maybe you could point out anywhere in my OP where this topic was ever about kids racing motorcycles or not wearing appropriate safety gear and not solely about the issue I have with so many having an issue with kids learning to ride motorcycles in a country where that is probably the only mode of transport many of them will ever be able to afford. 

Edited by starky