After cave ordeal, Thai boys now face battle with fame

webfact

16 hours ago, ravip said:

We all have done stupid things. We all will do stupid things in the future too.

These boys are aged some 11 - 25, just inexperienced children.

Shall we STOP rubbing it in any more?

Actually, that high lights OUR stupidity - just harping on it.

hardly rubbing it in and harping on about it ! this was was the first post and only stated the obvious ! 

20 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Indeed, we've all been stupid from time to time, so that's alright then. All's forgiven.  Bad form to even mention it really...

That was easy...

8 hours ago, catman20 said:

and ?

Guess you know everything and come from a perfect environment to put in order the 3rd world. 

Thank you. 

16 hours ago, ravip said:

Guess you know everything and come from a perfect environment to put in order the 3rd world. 

Thank you. 

i know enough not to go into a cave in the wet season following some Thai moron.

Edited by catman20
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, catman20 said:

i know enough not to go into a cave in the wet season following some Thai moron.

Thank you. You have exhibited and proved your talents and your intelligence beyond any doubts.

:mfr_closed1: 

On 7/14/2018 at 12:26 PM, jaiyen said:

Why should they be considered as Famous ?  They did something that was potentially dangerous, some would say it was a stupid idea to go in the cave, and they got caught out by the water and nearly died a slow death. That is NOT how you become famous. Too many media outlets, mainly TV,   like to portray people as "Famous" or a "Celebrity" When they have really done nothing worthy. 

The media is desperate to gain publicity out of human survival stories. The Phuket disaster is a much bigger story yet hardly a mention by foreign press.

"He was trapped in a cave and everyone in the country and from around the world had to come and help him. What do we have to give them in return?" Kham-oey told Reuters.

"We have nothing, so he must be a good boy."

The granny sure would have said this with an innocent, heartfelt gratitude. In this "modern developed" world today, we can hardly recognise such human feelings - it's $$$$$$$$$$$$ that wake us up! Sad, indeed!

Edit

For example, look whats happening at the highest echelons

Edited by ravip

8 hours ago, ravip said:

Thank you. You have exhibited and proved your talents and your intelligence beyond any doubts.

:mfr_closed1: 

what by stating what most people with an ounce of common scene would do.

good job you was not there other wise it would be 13 morons they would have had to rescue.

Edited by catman20

Seems to me the use of the word FAME is just a beat up from the news source  to build a sensational headline and a reminder to watch carefully the ongoing antics of the media.

How long will it be before a media agency, Thai newspaper reporters etc., given an opportunity will ask; "Were you frightened?", "Did you think you would die of starvation because the food would run out?", "How many ghosts did you see?" Etc., etc.  

Edited by scorecard

8 hours ago, Saiyok said:

The media is desperate to gain publicity out of human survival stories. The Phuket disaster is a much bigger story yet hardly a mention by foreign press.

Tourist boat sinkings aren't particularly novel.

This cave rescue was incredibly unique.

Not fair or right. Just is. 

9 hours ago, Saiyok said:

The Chinese click don't bring ad revenue - at least not that I know of. The western media has descended into the murky depths of click baiting, where the primordial ooze that call themselves reporters try to lure touri.. sorry readers in.

The mighty $ rules everything. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, each family with sell their story for interviews, books, Tv and movies. A poor family selling lookchin on the side of the road earning 300 baht/day can not say no to a $100,000 USD cheque. It's their 15 minutes of fame and fortune, let them enjoy it and milk it for all they can.

The mighty $ rules everything. As sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, each family with sell their story for interviews, books, Tv and movies. A poor family selling lookchin on the side of the road earning 300 baht/day can not say no to a $100,000 USD cheque. It's their 15 minutes of fame and fortune, let them enjoy it and milk it for all they can.
May well be so. I think they might be better off bargaining as a group with the same representative but I could be wrong. Unlike some I think it's OK if the families benefit but I'd hate to see them ripped off.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app