Bananas - how to stop them ripening too fast .

Andrew Dwyer

I try to buy a bunch that is half green, half ripe. That way, I keep pace with the ripening process.

I blend overripe bananas with yoghurt and honey, then freeze. Ready to eat after one minute in the microwave.

• Like 2

I wish that I had that problem. Every time I crop a bunch of bananas they get distributed round the village in minutes. I only get to eat a couple of them. Shame really because they're the most flavoursome bananas I've ever tasted.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 4:18 PM, Vacuum said:

Correct, maybe one or two days before.

That's basically it for me. I also eat a banana daily and struggle with having edible ones ready. What I try to do is put them in the fridge just a little bit before their fully ripe. They seem to last longer in the fridge that way. Maybe not even a full day before ripe. 

It's not foolproof. Sometimes I have to toss some mushy ones. 

Yes, I am squeezing my bananas every day. :sorry:

It's interesting to note that firmer bananas are healthier from a sugar perspective than overripe ones. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's basically it for me. I also eat a banana daily and struggle with having edible ones ready. What I try to do is put them in the fridge just a little bit before their fully ripe. They seem to last longer in the fridge that way. Maybe not even a full day before ripe. 

It's not foolproof. Sometimes I have to toss some mushy ones. 

Yes, I am squeezing my bananas every day. :sorry:

It's interesting to note that firmer bananas are healthier from a sugar perspective than overripe ones. 

Yes, that’s the method I’m trying to adopt now, problem before was I was putting them in the fridge green and that didn’t seem to work well.

I do try to avoid the overripe ones because of the increased sugar and also I just don’t like the taste.

I always try to have one with my breakfast, in cornflakes, granola ( Tesco fruit and nut) or Weetabix goes particularly well with thinly sliced banana and cold milk , preferably Chockchai .
  • Like 1

Yeah putting them in green definitely wouldn't work.

Sometimes you're watching them closely and they just go directly from green to mushy. Never ripe. Yes we have rotten bananas. At least they're cheap compared to avocados.

That banana bag seems cool. Would definitely buy that if it was sold here.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, NickJ said:

When you buy bananas in the US. The banana has been picked when it is very green. No where near being ripe. They are refrigerated. When they reach there destination they are gassed with ethylene. Then will start to ripen. Here the fruit is fresh so they ripen naturally.  I keep then in the fridge. It helps them last a little longer.

Most bananas are cut when they are green, my ones certainly are, though they are ripened naturally rather than forced.

As to keeping them in the fridge IMG_4443.thumb.JPG.c8f6914cddc801c505894dd6c1d94d31.JPGthese have been there for 3 days now.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jack james said:

wrap them individually in newspaper put them in a plastic bag in refrigerator. they last a couple of weeks.

But then I'm too lazy to do that when my method is working.

I will try to keep this batch going for a few more days just for interest. As there are 8 left in that box it could be a little while.?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update IMG_4465.thumb.JPG.6791b6a89fcb5580d0b61180fca07563.JPGday 6
IMG_4467.thumb.JPG.9907ef8ddcd8babe6d8fbf56161f15c5.JPGday 7

IMG_4474.thumb.JPG.74e3525dfa01278836a7f9b9b9b2732e.JPGday 8, the last day as I was out of other bananas 

I didn’t manage results anywhere near yours, showed signs of blackening after 3 days and maximum edible state ( IHO) was 4 days.

There were in the fridge ? Not the freezer .
  • Like 1

hello,

When I put still green bananas in the fridge (bottom, vegetables place), it seems that they stop ripening, and then, 1 day or 2 before eating them, I take them out to keep them growing ?

Are my observations correct ?

I do not like the idea to have to peel them first and put them in a box, it's too much work ?

Please tell me if you ever had good results when keeping them green in the fridge ?

Thanks.

On 7/14/2018 at 10:56 PM, juice777 said:

This is one more small problem I don't have to worry about because I going back to the UK.So I can buy a selection of different ripeness to last me the week.But I really fill for you.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yes, and pay $1 or $2 each of your bananas... Enjoy !