Recommendation CM lawyer to write wills in Thai & English

scorecard

I'm looking for a recommendation, experienced lawyer to help write 2 wills (Thai person and non-Thai person).

For both people we already have a first draft but looking for a lawyer to change the writing structure / better and more appropriate words etc., to ensure there is no chance of ambiguity or misunderstanding and to ensure what's in the will cannot be challenged at law.

In both cases the wills are not complex, looking for Thai and English versions for both wills.

Son already went to amphur office but was less than impressed with their lack of listening and he's convinced their advice is not correct.

E.g.,

Son is well aware there are specific laws (The Thai Commercial Code) about distribution of property / assets where the deceased has not made a will.

He's also aware that he can make a will to distribute his assets according to his own wishes and it can be different / quite different to the commercial code.

Amphur officer says this is not true, will must say the same as it's written the commercial code. 

Any suggestions / recommendation of a lawyer much appreciated. 

Thanks

My wife and I had wills for our Thai assets created by Sumalee Jennapra (229/264 Huey Kaew Road). It's soon after you pass the canal road heading towards the university. I was impressed. All T's crossed and I's dotted. Note: The wills were written in English. When I asked about a Thai translation, she said that a translation would hold more weight if it was done when or if the will was executed.

13 minutes ago, luther said:

My wife and I had wills for our Thai assets created by Sumalee Jennapra (229/264 Huey Kaew Road). It's soon after you pass the canal road heading towards the university. I was impressed. All T's crossed and I's dotted. Note: The wills were written in English. When I asked about a Thai translation, she said that a translation would hold more weight if it was done when or if the will was executed.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, luther said:

12 hours ago, luther said:

How long ago was that?  I used to use Sumalee  a few years ago but was informed that she no longer takes any new work due to ill health.

It would be great news if she is back in business as she is a very good lawyer/business woman.

Lanna Lawyers will do Final Wills with both English and Thai language in the same document.  They will also suggest that you have a Living Will and Power of Attorney that could be used should you become incapacitated and someone needs to act on your behalf.  That person doesn't need to be them, of course, but a trusted friend or family member who could access your funds to pay your medical bills and living expenses if you are unable.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Lanna Lawyers will do Final Wills with both English and Thai language in the same document.  They will also suggest that you have a Living Will and Power of Attorney that could be used should you become incapacitated and someone needs to act on your behalf.  That person doesn't need to be them, of course, but a trusted friend or family member who could access your funds to pay your medical bills and living expenses if you are unable.

Thank you Nacy, I think you mentioned that name before but I couldn't find it.

Do you have any ballpark idea about their fees. In any case I'll contact them.

Thanks again.

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Thank you Nacy, I think you mentioned that name before but I couldn't find it.

Do you have any ballpark idea about their fees. In any case I'll contact them.

Thanks again.

My apology, I misspelled the name, should be Nancy. Sorry.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

My apology, I misspelled the name, should be Nancy. Sorry.

I think it's about 12,000 baht for all three -- a simple Final Will, Advance Health Directive and Power of Attorney.  The fee could be different if your situation is complex.

17 hours ago, jonwilly said:

Star Visa did mine B4,500 and then came down to local Amphure where my will is registered and held. They provided a copy in Thai and English, very good service.

john

Hi John,

Thanks for your posting. Would you please check your ThaiVisa private messages. Thanks.

Archived