Shock – Could Thailand be better to school my kids than the UK?

rooster59

Shock – Could Thailand be better to school my kids than the UK?

By Dan Cheeseman

thai-schools.jpg

The problem I have with trying to work out the best place to school my kids is that fellow parents all think they are right without necessarily have done their homework. Those that send their kids to International Schools in Thailand will say one thing and those forced back to the UK as they cannot afford the International Schools will say another. Their comments are no more than to reaffirm their own decisions, nothing more.

So, one week I think the UK and then the following week after hearing pro Thai International School arguments, I think Thailand. It is a nightmare and over the coming months I will do my own thorough research on both options, that includes seeing pass marks to schooling facilities from schools in the UK to International Schools in Thailand. Finally I will draw more robust, reasoned conclusions and will share it with any other parent interested.

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/07/13/shock-could-thailand-be-better-to-school-my-kids-than-the-uk/

DAN ABOUT THAILAND

Weekly Vlogs and Blogs from in and around Thailand

I think this is whats' needed

I have a young lad approaching 10

I/we moved him from Sarassat (private ) not inter. (but most of them are now squeezing it in ) to another private where they learn in/out of classroom 

Sarassat had like 2500 kids with 30 in a class all day long

Plookapunya has 600 kids & in my lads class there is 16 kids (it's more expensive ) but I made that up from the Sarasat bus & cut his 12 hr days down

I have read quite a few threads about schooling, & as we know the Falang teachers only teach english ( but must know the whole story )

I would like to see a comparison between the the test at the end of each term to see the difference in what a child should know

I've been on some net sites & think there's a big difference (as in I think the thai system only teachers them half the stuff )

PS: We would all like to give the best education for our children if possible.

BUT, lets face reality, were there have been stories of people spending 100's 0f thousand BHT to acheive this only to find out either the school was no good or their child wasn't meant to be a Brain Surgeon

Edited by BEVUP

2 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

Even the best local schools have big classes

Agree with that 

The Falang around the corner sends his lad to Assumption, where they have 45 in a class 

Same with the women across the road with her daughter (she could afford any school in Thailand )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

The Thai public schools are not going to teach your kids how to think

Don't understand that comment, Thai kids who want to learn will in my experience no matter what school, college, Uni.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GLewis said:

He is right. Thai learning is based on Rote. Memorize and regurgitate. There are only 4 answers on any exam A, B, C, or D. No critical thinking is taught. Neither in reality are world geography or world history.  If you are happy with your child going through the educational system through university fine. They are then ready for employment with a degree but most likely only in Thailand.  I wanted mine to have more of an opportunity than that.

Fair call, everyone's perception on kids learning as a parent is different IMHO, all my kids are happy that was my main goal.

Edited by Kwasaki

I think the largest factor for me was beyond education but where my kid might have the most satisfying life. She has a large, loving and close knit family here. When she was just a toddler, we were at a festival in the next village and she was getting sleepy before the entertainment. My wife and I were walking about. There was a group of relatives already seated on a blanket and we gave her to them and let her sleep, knowing she would be lovingly cared for until we returned for the entertainment. 

At that point, I decided that staying close to home and family was a life decision and not something to take her away from, unless at her request later on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

If you can easily afford a top international school in Thailand all is well.

not sure about that but a good parent should have plenty of input - right? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GLewis said:

He is right. Thai learning is based on Rote. Memorize and regurgitate. There are only 4 answers on any exam A, B, C, or D. No critical thinking is taught. Neither in reality are world geography or world history.  If you are happy with your child going through the educational system through university fine. They are then ready for employment with a degree but most likely only in Thailand.  I wanted mine to have more of an opportunity than that.

Good point, I've had Thai folks in Executive MBA programs who come from poverty, taught themselves English, struggle for years to stay at school / uni and finished their MBA with an outstanding GPA.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Truth was that the Thai teacher was knowledgeable about English grammar but could not construct or verbalize even simple sentences.

Well she was not knowledgeable then.

From my experience the situation you describe is typical of many schools.

Problems arise from most western teachers getting more money than Thai teachers and the common thought of how can western people know anything about the education of Thai people. 

• Like 1

kenk24 you are a good man.

10 years ago i told my oldest daughter: we not partcipating in tutor business. concentrate in the class, make your homework and ask if you don't understand. we taught her discipline and free thinking. she passed the thai, free, public school and is now in university and very much adult. without a single extra hour.

the little one was in a private school. she had fun but hardly learned anything. i had a look at the curriculum (see big books p.1-6 in any bookstore) and found out:

3 x 3 = 9 in any school in this world. she is now in a small christian school for free and learns a lot. basically because teachers are disciplined and they teach it, instead of driving her arround for hours we help her with the homework, develope her character with a lot of love.

fazit: i have employed some hundert people in my active life. the best were never those with the most excellent grades. those with a good character, fairplay and spirit beat them by far.

......and honestly i have not met in 12 years isaan any person of that island near europe with a good education, not to speak about character ..........

• Haha 1

Hmmmm...... from what i have seen of Thai “education” in their schools I would doubt it very much. Unless you want children who can sing the Thai national anthem and play hangman

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son goes to a government school but in an English program. 

Teaching language is English. 

20 pupils, one Thai teacher and one teacher from England in each class (Thai language exempt). 

They have diff uniforms, different lunch, separat toilets, aircon classrooms, computers etc. 

The teachers from England have teaching degrees and teaches various classes not only English.

Costs me 50.000 per year. 

I'm happy with this arrangement. 

Off course this is aviable for Thai only. 

• Like 1

Go for the best, go for Rugby School Thailand. The children go to school from 08.10  to 17.50. Homework is done at school and 2 1/2 hours of exciting daily activities are included. Sister's School to Rugby School in England.
That's a very long day for the pupils and even longer for the teachers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

If you can easily afford a top international school in Thailand all is well.

depends on how smart the kid is. My wife attended a thai public school and has a medical degree now. 

33 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

My son goes to a government school but in an English program. 

Teaching language is English. 

20 pupils, one Thai teacher and one teacher from England in each class (Thai language exempt). 

They have diff uniforms, different lunch, separat toilets, aircon classrooms, computers etc. 

The teachers from England have teaching degrees and teaches various classes not only English.

Costs me 50.000 per year. 

I'm happy with this arrangement. 

Off course this is aviable for Thai only. 

The same program is now offered in a number of locations in Thailand and overall seems to have quite good results.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Parents should have input to a school - agreed.

Also as one poster mentioned family nearby counts. As does learning Thai language and culture.

I have never heard of a single Thai public school that meets my standards - which include teaching a child to think outside the box and public service and caring about the environment.

A long time ago I was a teacher and my Thai wife was a teacher - I have two children. I mention this to give a background to my comments.

By the time our small children growup the world will be very different which is why memorizing is not so important but learning to think on your own is very important.

I agree about learning to think.. but when I said parent's should have plenty of input, I meant outside of the school. I would not, especially as a foreigner, have any expectation of changing a school, or even one teacher in the school. I was never even sure if I should correct the errors in some of the English language texts. I knew my kids teachers but only on a superficial basis. 

It was my dad at home who taught me to play chess, read the Wall Street Journal and do an analysis of companies, play games that involved code breaking... and he was a busy guy - I rarely saw him. 

If you have high standards, then lucky for your kids to have you at home to teach them what they cannot learn in school. But, my life experience has taught me that imposing my standards on others is not feasible. I bet you can accomplish great things with just one hour a day working with your kids. 

• Like 1