VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

Fault on both sides here. If Unsworth had not personalised his attack in the first instance and then perhaps Musk may not have responded as he did. 

Musk was responding to an unsubstantiated attack on his character by Unsworth. 

Mer may believe it was a PR stunt but are we sure? Accordingly we must be careful of such accusations. A more appropriate response to Musk’s offer may have been “Thanks but we’re not sure it will work” instead of the one offered. 

Not saying this justified being called a pedo but may have been the catalyst for it. Think before you speak is the lesson here. Anyhow I see at least someone coming out on top here. The lawyers. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Aupee said:

In some of his tweets he is calling the whole rescue operation a load of bull because in his opinion the water wasn' t deep

A strange interpretation. Besides telling Elon to stick the sub where it hurts Vern claimed in front of the entire world as his audience on CNN that the sub couldn't make it 50 meters into the cave. Elon responded by saying once full rescue footage is released Vern will be exposed as a liar because it will be plainly visible the sub would have had no problems making it. In fact elon has promised to run the sub to cave 5 to set the record straight and show people like vern were wrong saying it wouldn't work and was just a pr stunt. You just have to wonder why Vern started such a vicious personal attack on Elon because at this time it seems Vern is in the wrong on all fronts just telling porkies. For instance, there is no evidence elon was told to leave the cave quickly. Where did this come from? The opposite was the case--Elon was welcomed to the cave and treated respectfully by all there. Maybe it is ptsd and Vern will apologize at some stage.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This is about to blow up in the media's face, literally. I hope folks realise Musk's direction with this and is letting the media hang themselves.... again with an avalanche of fake news relating to the tweets. It started with Unsworth referring with others to Musk with the nickname 'pedo man' short for 'torpedo man' in reference to the submersible Musk was making. Musk confronted about the name initially whereupon Unsworth brushed it off. From there Unsworth ditched Musks idea and reccomend to senior Thais running the show it (the torpedo sub) not be used at all. From there a bitter feud has ensued. 

Edited by bofhman
  • Sad 1

This should really get interesting!  Should have just kept silent in regards to his sub!  Why the need to say " shove it up to your A-- where it hurts " 

Great of your effort now you are front page news putting everyone around you under a magnifying glass. Now you are boxed in true or not, if you don't defend yourself, you are view as guilty, and if you do you go up against billions, those billions means the best lawyers and investigator in the world digging and digging and digging!  They will find something and if they don't they will make it up and people are stupid enough to believe enough of it.

Now you can defend due to principals and if you do look for a lawyer who will do it and get pay only if you win otherwise you will deep in the poor house.  

Good luck

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I don't believe Musk ever swam all the way to that ledge where the boys were trapped - so I don't think he knows just how deep the waters were or weren't.

I would prefer to listen to the words of brave divers than this self-publicist.

You will be happy to know that Richard Stanton, one of two british divers who first discovered the kids, encouraged elon to develop the sub and gave him the precise technical details about the requirements. The cave experts in Thailand played an important role in shaping the submarine approach. Recall before that the idea was a bouncy castle which was not deemed as practical.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just a legal note: In US libel case law it is very difficult for a public figure to sue. Mr. Unsworth is not a public person but under precedent a 'limited purpose public figure' is someone who:

"voluntarily and prominently participates in a public controversy for the purpose of influencing its outcome and who is thus required as a public figure to prove actual malice in a defamation suit ."

and that definition and by his utterings on CNN might very well fit that description.

https://dictionary.findlaw.com/definition/limited-purpose-public-figure.html

Edited by JLCrab
  • Sad 1

If I was Vern I would sue him. I don’t care who you are you can’t go around making comments like that on a public forum.

He just’s need to search Google and I am sure he can find a bunch of no win no fee jackals willing to take this on.

Vern has nothing to lose. Musk will settle out of court to make it go away. He has no choice.

If Musk thought he was in the right why did he delete it. He deleted it because his legal team probably told him to.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Musk is always seeking publicity. It is typical of him to pick on an unfortunate accident and then try to grab all the limelight. That he has many followers proves he is a first class con artist. His company has been losing money for years yet these idiots still follow him. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Musk’s bizarre attack came after Mr Unsworth said that the “kid sized submarine” Musk had built for the rescue of the boys and which he delivered personally to the cave was impractical, “had no chance of working” and was nothing more than a “PR stunt”.

Never belittle someone of this mans means and wealth, you will be broke within a year. He can carry this case on for years, however, I did not agree with your comment, "just a PR stunt" you started this, it may of paid you to just say nothing. Can't see this going any further to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The idiot Musk has obviously forgotten that a Thai diver (former Navy SEAL, so hardly a novice) died while assisting in the rescue. Perhaps he'd care to demonstrate himself how he could swim without equipment to cave 5.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Essaybloke said:

Oh brother! Looks to me like both could do with a smack on a bum and sent straight to their rooms. And no TV!

Correct, no sticky buns or lollies for 1 month, now get on with your life

• Like 1

Vern,
my advice: do not get dragged down to that level.
Leave it with the threat to take him to Court, if our soon-to-make-mars-great-again-rocketeer gives you more grief, then consider to file a case.
But be prepared that the other side will not spare expense since the EM cannot accept, apparently, that he was wrong and that he should have consulted with Thai Navy on the ground first before coming over and trying to get some of the Glory that was earned by the 2.000 people involved and those supporting them.

The issue in Court will not be whether you are right, but whether you can prove it.

Look at EM's pedo statement with humor: apparently he fancies you and that makes him a spoiled brat.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, kannot said:

dunno whats the  matter with folk these  days  just "forget it" everyone has to sue everyone now, just  tell him to <deleted>off and thats the end of it

On Sunday, Musk fired back with a series of tweets where he said that Mr Unsworth living in Thailand was “sus”, suggesting that the only reason the British expat would choose to live in Thailand was to be involved in child sex tourism.

Mr Unsworth and not only him should sue the arse off Musk does his statement mean all British expats who live in Thailand are involved in child sex tourism???

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Yes, you and doubtless many others like yiu. The premium of being known as the worlds biggest brothel.

Another triumph of American state-building

the words you quoted are not mine, they are the guy i quoted.

my post is #138. you will see i did not say that. they are Balos words.

please fix it as that DOES NOT apply to me

Edited by tingtongtourist

1 minute ago, Hooliganzone said:

Mr Unsworth and not only him should sue the arse off Musk does his statement mean all British expats who live in Thailand are involved in child sex tourism???

It's what almost everyone in the UK thinks.

I never tell anyone I come here, and they don't really need to know where I go when not in the UK.

19 hours ago, kannot said:

dunno whats the  matter with folk these  days  just "forget it" everyone has to sue everyone now, just  tell him to <deleted>off and thats the end of it

It's defamation of character! He deserves to be sued! He's just a jealous self opinionated prat!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not sure I could just forget what musk called him.

I so agree , imagine with your name known by millions and now possibly folk thinking ' No smoke without fire '.   I would only call someone a pedo if the law courts deemed him so.

Sue the bastard Vern.

• Like 2

I really hate the whole stigma attached to expats living in SE Asia. Why do people think it's always assume a Westerner comes here for sex or pedophilia? I actually originally came here for a myriad of reasons, one of them being Buddhism believe it or not. Others include, weather, expenses, food, beaches, and the warm nature of society compared to the cold, harsh and depressing aspect of British culture these days. Maybe it is just people who are ignorant to aspects of other cultures? 

I have spoken to a few Brits in the last 7-8 years about 'back home' - I have yet to actually return since 2010, and everybody tells me how cold and depress many people are back there. When my old dear came to visit, she also said that I didn't know how lucky I was to live in this part of the world in comparison to back home. 

• Thanks 2