Android boxes now illegal in Thailand

superal

Western Digital introduced the first TV Box many years ago and a few years later they were banned. A few years ago there were many shops selling TV boxes but they disappeared in the lead up to the World Cup. The only shop still selling the MXQ Pro TV Box in Seacon is the discount shop run by Indians in the lower IT section. After the world cup, an additional shop has started selling TV boxes again.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No. I asked if anyone had bought a cheap Kingston SD card from Lazada and was it any good. The answers said that they were rubbish, so I never bought. Understood?

I wait until the price slash happens at big c. Sometimes cheaper then. 

About a year ago, I subscribed to ExaPat Vision and they supplied me with two Mag boxes. The first pair  were seized by Thai customs as part of a random inspection.  The only way to release the boxes was to get an importers licence from NBTC, so the two boxes were abandoned.  However, the second attempt, sent a month or so later and to a different address, was successful and I received my android boxes and have been watching tv through ExPat Visuon ever since.  That is, when it works properly! 

I have a translation of the newish regulations and Android boxes, and, for that matter, AppleTv boxes, are specifically mentioned and require the proper import licence. Even though, bizarrely, Apple TV boxes are readily available....

• Thanks 1

Simply put:

• Illegal to import without a license, even a single unit
  • Legal to buy locally if they have the NBTC Approval sticker on the unit

Probably too much hassle for a big franchise like Advice to jump through the hoops to import/resell the units, hence their answer. This being Thailand, of course, smaller shops and Lazada sellers may not be such sticklers to the rules ?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, superal said:

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

"Thai Nexus Man" still has NVIDIA Shields for sale on Lazada, and he is in Bangkok. In fact, a quick look at "media players" for sale on Lazada has at least 15 sellers on the first page that are located in Thailand.

I suspect that there is no profit in it for most bricks and mortar shops so they just say "mai dai"

Edited by MikeN
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, eTiMaGo said:

The way I understand it, yes, now it is illegal to import and it is legal to buy locally without any sticker whilst stocks that were imported before the implementation of the rules last, replacements after that will need the sticker.

• Like 1

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops  for the last month or so. Now we all know that " Advice " is a large retailer of IT etc so I have to believe them  ( not too concerned if the enforcer is NBTC or not ) .

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand , so what is the point in a partial ban .  Sorry , I am applying western logic again .

Notice the words Bangkok or Thailand on the bottom of each item.  Then check where the dealer is and how long to deliver.

The first page at least on my comp are sourced locally.

why does anyone need an android box? got a smart phone and atleast an unlimited phone plane like "line mobile"?

Its all you need. screen mirror movies or hotspot to your smart tv.

you can screen mirror all thai channels from apps if really desired but with an endless supply of you tube, netflix and torrents who needs thai tv....

its the reason i gave up on ais. should note they refused to switch numbers and wouldnt cancel accounts. so childish....

we havent had a cable and router for probably 4years. dishes will be coming off the roof soon also...

Good reason to upgrade to a Smart TV, then download the Smart IPTV app, sign up for a IPTV service online and away you go.

Thousands of channels, major sports, music, VOD, etc. Most channels are HD.

2 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Good reason to upgrade to a Smart TV, then download the Smart IPTV app, sign up for a IPTV service online and away you go.

Thousands of channels, major sports, music, VOD, etc. Most channels are HD.

I have an LG Smart TV and it only allows me to download from the LG Store. So you will have to find an Android TV that allows you to download from anywhere. 

I have just been to an " Advice Shop " and asked them if they had any android boxes . The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education , however it is permitted to have and buy a "Smart TV "     Has anyone had the same experience ?

I have my doubts if the girl knows the difference between the Ministry of education and the Ministry of science and technology? 

Aren't sex toys also illegal but openly sold near Nana? 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I have just been to an " Advice Shop " and asked them if they had any android boxes . The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education , however it is permitted to have and buy a "Smart TV "     Has anyone had the same experience ?

I have my doubts if the girl knows the difference between the Ministry of education and the Ministry of science and technology? 

Aren't sex toys also illegal but openly sold near Nana? 

According to Customs, they are not illegal, just need to be licensed.

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Not illegal,but I believe you have to have a license for it,

as in a post somewhere,there was advice when importing

an Android box,not to declare it on the package ,but as

a mini pc,or customs will ask for import license.

I use my Windows mini Pc's for watching content,find

its easier to use ,and I have plenty stuff to view.

Will they be the next thing to be banned!

regards Worgeordie

Technically, illegal to import into Thailand without an NTBC license.

Emphasis there is on the word "technically" -- unless your purchase happens to be one of the apparently few that end up getting seized.

I'd agree to be judicious, if importing, how one labels the customs declaration, and try to avoid the private couriers as the shipper if at all possible.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomas557 said:

I did read your posts, maybe try to reread them yourself, S L O W L Y

The reply was  " no , they are now illegal to sell in Thailand as instructed by the department of Thai Education ,

and

You say plenty available on Lazada which is correct but I did notice that none were resourced from Thailand

and

My point is that android boxes are supposedly unavailable and illegal to sell in Thai shops

Did you notice in my screenshot that it says Androidbox THAILAND and BUY ON LAZADA, even in Thai language so the government will not be confused?

Maybe you could next go to your local hairdresser and ask for Android boxes, and then come here claiming they are not available anywhere.

FYI, Advice is a computer hardware shop, and tv boxes are not computer hardware. You will also not find them at JIB, but plenty available from other legal shops and Lazada inThailand

image.png.9e049abdc5820faec91c0b557e47a333.png

Your are correct regarding Lazada but when I made my comment there was not a local area option to buy on my screen but there is now so I surrender on that point ? . So Advice who did sell the boxes no longer sell them as per government instruction and that applied to all retail shop outlets , or so I was told . It does not seem to be the case on line . Interested to see if anyone else can source them from a shop . Does not make sense if the only obstacle is a 10 baht tax issue .  My local Advice were the local android suppliers and installers .  

3 minutes ago, superal said:

Your are correct regarding Lazada but when I made my comment there was not a local area option to buy on my screen but there is now so I surrender on that point ? . So Advice who did sell the boxes no longer sell them as per government instruction and that applied to all retail shop outlets , or so I was told . It does not seem to be the case on line . Interested to see if anyone else can source them from a shop . Does not make sense if the only obstacle is a 10 baht tax issue .  My local Advice were the local android suppliers and installers .  

I think there is a local shop called Peak that sells most brands.

1 hour ago, eTiMaGo said:

Simply put:

Probably too much hassle for a big franchise like Advice to jump through the hoops to import/resell the units, hence their answer. This being Thailand, of course, smaller shops and Lazada sellers may not be such sticklers to the rules ?

Well put...  Or as another saying goes... "the law is Thailand is an a**."

Dildos and such are illegal to sell as well in Thailand. But go to shops and street corner sellers, and you'll find them, albeit often crappy, low quality ones.

Same in my opinion with streaming boxes. The current regulation tends to limit or keep out the actually legit and major market ones like Roku and Fire TV and Shield TV from local sellers, but you can still find no-name Chinese versions and some very high markup imported main brand models.

• Like 1

So apparently not available from the high street retailers such as Advice , unless you know better ?  Maybe under the shelf ?   If this is the truth of a ban , what is the point ?  just harming the Thai retailers .  But as I said earlier it is ok to have a  "  Smart TV " ,       mind boggling 

Lots of things are banned,prohibited here,but all still available.

regards worgeordie

27 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

According to Customs, they are not illegal, just need to be licensed.

Which you basically cannot do once you've received such an item in Thailand, since NBTC seems to be advising those who inquire that the streaming device license has to be applied for and obtained PRIOR to actual import into Thailand.  Something a vendor might be able to do, but an end user would not.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I have an LG Smart TV and it only allows me to download from the LG Store. So you will have to find an Android TV that allows you to download from anywhere. 

I believe there are a couple major TV brands sold in Thailand that use the generic Android TV app store...as opposed to proprietary ones like LG and Samsung.

But even for those, I'm not sure if you can still add things from outside the formal Android TV app store (which is pretty limited) or can still sideload other Android apps or use alternate app stores like you can do on the MiBox, Shield, etc.

• Like 1

Any box which allows you to access certain kinds of content, are not going to be popular with the current government. I can still access all sorts of "illegal" content. Only rarely do I get a message telling me the content has been blocked. Up until the last few years, YouTube was full of content which violates the Lese Majeste laws. It is beyond the capacity of the government to keep such content from being consumed unless they block the entire service.

The AIS Playbox supplied with my fibre internet package is Android based and can have apps such as Kodi installed by the user.

The Raspberry Pi Raspbian OS is Linux based and Kodi can be easily installed and connected by HDMI cable to make any TV smart, for around 2000 baht.