Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

38 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in November. I’ll be retired and she plans on becoming affiliated with Chiang Mai University to get her TEFL and go from there. We are relocating to get away from all of the madness here in the states. 

As a G.I. In the early 70’s and was in love with the people and the country. I say was, because after reading all of these negative posts, I’m not sure if this the right move all of a sudden. 

I have ave been doing my homework on the country and have a pretty good sense of what Thai driving, politics being a farong and what is and isn’t available. We understand the frustrating Thai way of doing things. We aren’t being naive at all, but again, I am uneasy about all of this after reading this thread. 

Anyone have ave anything positive say?

Robert

We (Thai wife and I am a Brit) have just come back to Florida where we live after spending 8 months in Thailand, with a few travels to other countries, and are planning to return in February and make it our country of residence.  We also have chosen Chieng Mai although we will need to be in Bangkok periodically as my wife's parents live there and are old (even older than me) and ill.  So I too was interested in this post, to try to understand the downside to living in Thailand.  I have travelled extensively and lived mainly in Europe and the USA although also in younger or much younger days in Hong Kong, Indonesia and Laos.

It seems from the posts that the changes in Thailand are similar to elsewhere, due to increasing population, increasing sense of entitlement fed by government actions and ngo propaganda, expectation of instant self gratification, and growing visible economic disparities.  However, in Thailand these trends are not dislocating society or changing personal behaviour as much as in most other places, attenuated by the Thai character.  Considering this and the relatively high base level of life in Thailand in terms of enjoyment, concern for others, freedom of expression, and serenity I have not been induced to reconsider my intention of moving to Chieng Mai.

Robert you must make up your own mind, but if you go ahead and move we may meet up next year.

between social/economic im

• Like 1

Just now, sirineou said:

Forget what you read. You need to decide for yourself. Just don't burn your bridges in case it is not for you. Give it a shot but also leave a way back. If you own a home don't sell is yet, Rent it and use the proceeds to subsidise your move here, after a while if you think Thailand is for you , you can always sell it if that's what you want , and by that time it might even be worth more. I have being coming to Thailand for a long time now, we have build our own home and I love it here . are there challenges? sure there are, but they are manageable and part of the charm IMO.

I am also retiring next spring, and will live in Thailand full time, but I am not selling one of my FL home. perhaps I will rent it  , unless my daughter wants to stay there and take care of it  (as of now she does not want) and as I have said before , if  at some point Thailand is not for me anymore, or old age medical complications demand it. I will go back. I recommend  that my wife does the same after I am gone, but it is up to her.

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree with you totally. We are of the same mind. Thanks again my friend.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thaibook said:

We (Thai wife and I am a Brit) have just come back to Florida where we live after spending 8 months in Thailand, with a few travels to other countries, and are planning to return in February and make it our country of residence.  We also have chosen Chieng Mai although we will need to be in Bangkok periodically as my wife's parents live there and are old (even older than me) and ill.  So I too was interested in this post, to try to understand the downside to living in Thailand.  I have travelled extensively and lived mainly in Europe and the USA although also in younger or much younger days in Hong Kong, Indonesia and Laos.

It seems from the posts that the changes in Thailand are similar to elsewhere, due to increasing population, increasing sense of entitlement fed by government actions and ngo propaganda, expectation of instant self gratification, and growing visible economic disparities.  However, in Thailand these trends are not dislocating society or changing personal behaviour as much as in most other places, attenuated by the Thai character.  Considering this and the relatively high base level of life in Thailand in terms of enjoyment, concern for others, freedom of expression, and serenity I have not been induced to reconsider my intention of moving to Chieng Mai.

Robert you must make up your own mind, but if you go ahead and move we may meet up next year.

between social/economic im

Thank you for your inciteful reply. Yes, my thoughts are pretty much the same as yours. I was somewhat dismayed at all of the negativity in this thread and it gave me room for pause. 

Again, I have been online since March and have a very good sense of what we are about to do and what it entails. It’s not a panacea, but I think it’s the right move for us overall. 

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful reply and yes, let’s plan on meeting up in a few months.

All the best!

Robert

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, goegoe said:

Do not listen to grumpy foreigners who have failed to have a life here and find all excuses to go back near Mom and Dad... They are the only cause of their troubles, not Thailand !

I agree. Thanks!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, goegoe said:

Do not listen to grumpy foreigners who have failed to have a life here and find all excuses to go back near Mom and Dad... They are the only cause of their troubles, not Thailand !

I do not agree with that 100%. People have reasons for speaking out and some reasons are valid.  Not always the truth behind reason but maybe a grain.  If you do not think things out and if your not monied up and say, not have decent insurance to be able not to fix yourself in Thailand, this is not the place to be.  I know so many guys in this boat that should not be here and burnt themselves out totally in a bike wreck. I mean guys in there 60's that should know better. It's not grumpy farangs but those that are ill-prepared. Look at the worry a few weeks back in Chiang Mai over Immigration and income letters. Sure, it was a storm in a teacup but look at the waves it sent up (and I wonder why). 

15 minutes ago, FaFaHead said:

Again, I have been online since March and have a very good sense of what we are about to do and what it entails. It’s not a panacea, but I think it’s the right move for us overall. 

Chiang Mai is a great place. Just don't put your hopes and prayers on other people. It is a great place to live an easy life but I would keep a home base for a few years or more. Say if you pass on and your wife needed to go back to the States, it is better to be well prepared then not. Not being prepared is the biggest mistake you can make. Have your insurance paid and up to date. If no insurance, make sure you got plenty of cash on hand for hospital expenses if you need them.  Health will be your biggest concern here. The rest is pretty easy. You can get involved here with people or not. I did the Volunteer thing for a long time but in the end, people just burnt me out as well as sickness. Learn the language. Spend a lot of time doing that for the first year or three and it opens up doors and a new world of goodness. Plenty here do not do this and I think that is the greatest mistake anyone can make. No, Chiang Mai is okay but keep things on your terms and you will be okay.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I do not agree with that 100%. People have reasons for speaking out and some reasons are valid.  Not always the truth behind reason but maybe a grain.  If you do not think things out and if your not monied up and say, not have decent insurance to be able not to fix yourself in Thailand, this is not the place to be.  I know so many guys in this boat that should not be here and burnt themselves out totally in a bike wreck. I mean guys in there 60's that should know better. It's not grumpy farangs but those that are ill-prepared. Look at the worry a few weeks back in Chiang Mai over Immigration and income letters. Sure, it was a storm in a teacup but look at the waves it sent up (and I wonder why). 

Chiang Mai is a great place. Just don't put your hopes and prayers on other people. It is a great place to live an easy life but I would keep a home base for a few years or more. Say if you pass on and your wife needed to go back to the States, it is better to be well prepared then not. Not being prepared is the biggest mistake you can make. Have your insurance paid and up to date. If no insurance, make sure you got plenty of cash on hand for hospital expenses if you need them.  Health will be your biggest concern here. The rest is pretty easy. You can get involved here with people or not. I did the Volunteer thing for a long time but in the end, people just burnt me out as well as sickness. Learn the language. Spend a lot of time doing that for the first year or three and it opens up doors and a new world of goodness. Plenty here do not do this and I think that is the greatest mistake anyone can make. No, Chiang Mai is okay but keep things on your terms and you will be okay.

Thank you. We’ve  Been studying Thai for a while. Rudimentary, but it’ll get better. Ya, we have no illusions, just a good attitude and realistic expectations. 

• Like 1

15 years now here and no feeling at all to leave.

OK i am often in Europe due to my Jobs but I see how fast it goes downhill there gives me goosebumps.

Appointment for a doctor up to 6 month (!!!)

Income Tax for Freelancer 50% above in Germany

Health insurance 600 EUR month minimum.. 

I am a bit of a Family man:

Laying on the Sofa in Front of the TV with my wife in the arm

go for a swim with no wintertime

driving my bike with no winter break

loving my (tropical) garden and my Crayfish in my Aquariums

planning in the week a Sunday trip 

might sound boring but my Grandparents and Parents did so and I still enjoy the home atmosphere. 

But when I step out of my door, Palm trees, warm, good neighbors well and some of my friends dies or left,

that's sure significant changes.. but wouldn't it be the same in Germany?

the modern fast living world catches everywhere up also in LOS,

but still it stops in front of my gate.

I am not that picky as long I can be happy.. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, See Will said:

15 years now here and no feeling at all to leave.

OK i am often in Europe due to my Jobs but I see how fast it goes downhill there gives me goosebumps.

Appointment for a doctor up to 6 month (!!!)

Income Tax for Freelancer 50% above in Germany

Health insurance 600 EUR month minimum.. 

I am a bit of a Family man:

Laying on the Sofa in Front of the TV with my wife in the arm

go for a swim with no wintertime

driving my bike with no winter break

loving my (tropical) garden and my Crayfish in my Aquariums

planning in the week a Sunday trip 

might sound boring but my Grandparents and Parents did so and I still enjoy the home atmosphere. 

But when I step out of my door, Palm trees, warm, good neighbors well and some of my friends dies or left,

that's sure significant changes.. but wouldn't it be the same in Germany?

the modern fast living world catches everywhere up also in LOS,

but still it stops in front of my gate.

I am not that picky as long I can be happy.. 

Thanks for the perspective...

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

One of the other weird aspects of moving out of Thailand.

Now my wife, pretty restrained in voicing opinions while we were in Thailand, has pretty much unleashed the floodgates of what she really thinks about all those issues that are totally off limits in Thailand.

She's actually connected with other Thai's she went to college with in Chicago who dispersed across the globe, and it appears regardless of what the propaganda suggests, there really is seething anger at what goes on in Thailand.

Doesn't bode well

Doesn't bode well if all those people who would wish their country was better, all leave to live elsewhere.

4 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

Thank you for your inciteful reply. Yes, my thoughts are pretty much the same as yours. I was somewhat dismayed at all of the negativity in this thread and it gave me room for pause. 

Once again, thanks for the thoughtful reply and yes, let’s plan on meeting up in a few months.

All the best!

Robert

Rent for one year, then make the call.

11 hours ago, FaFaHead said:

All the best!

Robert

I first came to Thailand in 1993 for work and kept coming back as I found a good lady here. I divorced in the UK in 1999 and remarried in 2000. We now have a 14 year old son.

It is a bit different for me than you as I am married to a Thai so she owns the land and house etc but it doesn't mean that much to me. Also we live in rural Khampaeng Phet on about 2 1/2 acres. 

Unfortunately you will need to rent unless you buy a condo and that has a few problems of its own.

Despite the naysayers Thailand IS a great place to live though like many countries it has its own peculiar set of problems. Away from the main tourist centres Thais are quite friendly and helpful and, at least in rural Thailand, the smiles are genuine.

Try to learn Thai as it does help a lot but if not and you really need something that you cannot ask for then go to Google translate for a translation, search for what you want on the internet and download a photo of it, then put the English, Thai and photo together and print it out.

Sometimes a picture really is worth 1,000 words.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tropo said:

You can live in an amazing place and yet not be satisfied. I used to live beachfront in Surfers Paradise. By beachfront I mean my front yard met the sand dunes... for 20 years. The ultimate place for a young guy... yet I was dissatisfied with my life. I'd done a fair bit of traveling over those years too. I need to think about this whenever I become dissatisfied with my current living arrangements in Thailand. In hindsight I wish I'd never left, but I know I wasn't satisfied at that time. There's just no pleasing some people LOL. I need to focus on the good things. I lot of people back in Oz would give their front teeth for an opportunity to live in Thailand.

If you can easily change your mind, then that's good. Keep one foot in both countries.

When in doubt, which is very rare for me because I am a meticulous planner and believer, I would agree slightly change your words below in bold. 

"I need to think about this whenever I become dissatisfied with my current living arrangements in Thailand. In hindsight I wish I'd never left, but I know I wasn't satisfied at that time".

The decision I made at the time was the right decision, things might have changed now, but the decision I made at the time was the right decision, I therefore stand by my decision at the time and will soldier on 555

On 7/21/2018 at 12:59 PM, cyberfarang said:

Oh, I see,  it`s not you, it`s all the others.

What do you mean, the usual types?

The main body or the tail that wags the dog rather than the innovative head that leads the way.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

When in doubt, which is very rare for me because I am a meticulous planner and believer, I would agree slightly change your words below in bold. 

"I need to think about this whenever I become dissatisfied with my current living arrangements in Thailand. In hindsight I wish I'd never left, but I know I wasn't satisfied at that time".

The decision I made at the time was the right decision, things might have changed now, but the decision I made at the time was the right decision, I therefore stand by my decision at the time and will soldier on 555

Yes, I understand, but I was talking about the fictitious hindsight. When I left my home country, I didn't come directly to Thailand. That progression took another 7 years. I started off in the Philippines, making trips once or twice a year - leading to full time residence there for 3 years. I've moved countries (meaning taking up full time residence) 5 times in my life.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Ten years here now. Time has gone very fast and yes; this place has changed. A question you need to ask yourself is, 'have you changed or am I bored?'

When first arriving in Chiang Mai, it was a fun for me and a very vibrant place. The average 'Joe Thai' was making money, and it was just much happier faces all around. There was a care factor back then with the local farangs and for the Aussie, a strong dollar that made this place cheap and even more fun. Way back then, my MIL was selling 13 trays of desserts a day. She told me life was much better. She had sold so for over 20 years in the same market and made good money. Ten years on, she now sells 1/2 a Tray every three days. Fact is, few have money now she laments, and it has only happened over the last three years. 

Try to figure that out ...

Most of her friends went broke over the last three years. I see this day by day in my local area. Lots of cash stress and you all would be surprised at how many of my Thai friends are on antidepressants.  Over 1/2 of my wife's friends who had decent degrees are working out of China now as massage girls. They could not make a life on the degree that they had and some of these girls are very smart people. One, of her friends, is super educated, yet sells Moo Ping in the mornings before going to work so she has enough money to give her mother who needed that important monthly income. 

Sure, it is all not like this. One thing I have seen change, and that is the fact of our 'care factor' of people. Once people use to care, and at this moment in time, they don't give a flap about anyone. I suppose my care factor is zero as I just have seen some really stupid stuff done here by farangs. They may not have much money when they first come here and leave with a lot less. They get duped by willing sex (being undersexed in the first part by Western standards and suddenly 'sex on tap' for the first time in there lives) and a smart Thai and slowly lose everything they have and they think they are smart about it all. I think things like this make a lot of people bitter here.

I came to Thailand at 39 with a Pension. Now at 49 and looking back at the last ten or so years, my life has, in fact, only got a lot better, more interesting, so Thailand was not a bad move. Prices have gone up; farangs don't look at you so much in the eyes as much now and like I said, care factor has gone to zero. I can go home to Aussie at anytime; I am lucky in that fact but like another poster said, if I was capable of working again (I am medically unfit), just my fuel bill or train bill for me to go to work would start at $120 a week and just add parking to it, a tollway cost and the such and I am up to $220 a week. That would be a shock to do again!

Now I cannot live anywhere. I spent a lot of time in the Philippines, but that is just a paradise lost in a pile of shat so high, that after a year or so, it was just so hard worrying about basic things in your life like safety. I got bashed badly in the PI back in 1995 in a robbery gone wrong in a taxi and I am lucky to be alive. One thing about Thailand is that to me, it is a safe place to live. I never had a problem here; our doors are open all the time, and I don't have to put up with the cold. Our neighbors are friendly.  We have a good family life. My wife is educated, to a degree, and she complains about things here as well. It is all not just roses. Thais have large concerns as well and she has said living standards have dropped for many of her friends.  

I would most likely go home if my wife died. She is 20 years younger than me, so I hope that will not happen as I think I could not go through it all again gaining trust of family and things like that. I might head off over to the EU for a look if it came to that. Like others said here, gaining friends is very hard. Gaining friends in Australia is hard as well, but I don't live a social life either in Australia or Thailand, so friends are not really needed.  What I wrote about above are really silly things but they are part of living here. Crazy roads, pollution that is getting worse, sometimes dual pricing and yes, I have met bad people here as well but that is just part of living. 

I do think Thailand has changed,  but you may need to look at yourself and see if it is you that has changed or is it the same you that came here 13 years ago that is now just bored or maybe even depressed. We all change over time and the 'same-same' issue can kill things for some people. I have not changed I think over the last ten years but only just got a bit wiser in understanding we take our happiness wherever we go and being unhappy is a condition you can have anywhere in this big wide old world of ours. Thailand is not a cup of tea but in life, we can add or take away sugar from what drink. I gather you understand what I mean.

I hope that helps.

CM has definitely changes for the worst. And parts of Bankkok have robbed of their character.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChidlomDweller said:

The way some of the posters here describe their own countries, they make them sound like real hellholes.  To each their own, but the extremely scathing reviews and cherry-picked astronomical price levels make me wonder, like spending 220 dollars a week just to get to work, or minimum 600 Euros on health insurance and still 6 months to see a doctor.  Well, whatever, but some cherry-picked figures don't convince me.  There's also the little thing about salary differentials.  For many jobs, you make 5 times the salary in farangland as you would here, so all in all you're still much much much better of.  

I grew up in Belgium, and lived and worked in Helsinki, New York, Boston, London, Washington DC, Singapore and Bangkok so I've seen enough of the world.  Also stayed friends with many friends who have moved on to other places.  Other than some cherry-picked places to avoid, there are so many lovely alternatives to Thailand.  Why make it a choice between Australia and Thailand only?  There's a whole wide world out there.  Moving to Japan next in September, and really looking forward to it, although I'll miss the Thai food.   What I won't miss is the awful, heat 10-11 months a year, perma-noise, 24/7 traffic jams and stinking air, and I could go on.  I had a good time here (almost 5 years), but now I'm at a point where I'm fed up with many things and want to live in a place again with more temperate climate and where everything just works.

Most head back  to OZ as they start to age mainly due to the outstanding medicare system that is available free. Going to another country for them eg japan wont fix that problem

Edited by billybadcund

23 minutes ago, billybadcund said:

Most head back  to OZ as they start to age mainly due to the outstanding medicare system that is available free. Going to another country for them eg japan wont fix that problem

Lets not forget some of us have children and upping them and moving just would not be fair, besides, when they are at school, its the best....lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billybadcund said:

True, but the OP is still relatively young.  For an Aussie, a couple of years in Europe could be fun.  It's all so dependent on the person though.  

For the American who was here in the early 70s and looking to move to Chiang Mai, I hope you're aware of the choking pollution several months a year.  For me that would be a complete dealbreaker about living there, and I'd rather move to a place like Hua Hin, or even Pattaya or Phuket.  

Edited by ChidlomDweller
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

So until the decision is finally made I'm living in both really, or la la land some might say.

That's the ideal way IMO, if you can afford it.  When I go to Europe now, I love it.  Beautiful cities, cultural offerings, etc., but everything gets boring after a while and variety is fun.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I have not changed I think over the last ten years but only just got a bit wiser in understanding we take our happiness wherever we go and being unhappy is a condition you can have anywhere in this big wide old world of ours.

Wise words, add to that steady $'s coming into Thailand, the cost of living here, and your life does get improve for the better IMO