Leaving Thailand after 13 Years..

markusss

2 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

To those who would leave for 'home' or other pastures. 

Beware, you'll take yourself with you. Meaning look inside first for the discontent,  don't project onto things you have no control over, such as tenuous visas and rubbish government. Focus on the great things here. Which are many.

I lasted no more than 14 months abroad. I'm back and very very lucky to have slipped back into my exact old place and routine. 

Mexico, Cambodia, and the Phillipines can't even come close. They're slums by comparison.

My western home countries (I have multiple residency) all suck. 

Stay put unless you have a rock solid guarantee life will be better elsewhere. 

Well said. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

To those who would leave for 'home' or other pastures. 

Beware, you'll take yourself with you. Meaning look inside first for the discontent,  don't project onto things you have no control over, such as tenuous visas and rubbish government. Focus on the great things here. Which are many.

I lasted no more than 14 months abroad. I'm back and very very lucky to have slipped back into my exact old place and routine. 

Mexico, Cambodia, and the Phillipines can't even come close. They're slums by comparison.

My western home countries (I have multiple residency) all suck. 

Stay put unless you have a rock solid guarantee life will be better elsewhere. 

A great piece of mind. The best argument against the idea of going home so far IMO!

'Wherever you go, there you are..'

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

I would live in Philippines in preference to here if only they had the infra-structure etc. Thailand is just not happy anymore but it's bearable, to be honest, and I travel to Phil 3 to 4 times a year so it suits me to live here I just wish the dinosaurs would be gone so the young Thais can take Thailand out of the 1300s.

Agree with this.  PI is an absolute  tragic waste of a paradise. Thanks to their woeful governing class, who make the Green guys here look like Westminster,  and the church. And the fact that serious pain killers are even illegal in hospitals,  screw that at my age! 

Edited by Small Joke
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, luk AJ said:

I live and work for the last 20y in Thailand. Probably I will stay, returning to my home country is not an option. During the past 20y many moslims immigrated to my country in such way they dramatically changed it. It doesn’t feel like my country anymore it became theirs. But there are still many beautiful places in the world, I hope, one day, to find peace and rest in one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Are you from the Netherlands same as where I come from? If so, I hear ya.

23 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I've been living here for 9 years. A couple of the people I know have died here. My problem with going back to Australia is everything is so expensive, particularly housing and water/power. Against that, my medical costs are almost free there, and the doctors don't think they are gods.

I can live well here in Thailand. In Australia, my diet would probably be toast and bowl noodles.

The doctors don't think they are gods?  In America they tend to be worshiped as gods, along with athletes. So it is a minor miracle when a doctor doesn't think s/he is a god..

• Like 2

22 hours ago, goegoe said:

I wanted to leave but as weed will soon become legal in some ways here, no more reason to leave !

That's always the basis upon which I make my life decisions!  :blush:

But FWIW, the legalization they're talking about AFAIK is just for medical purposes -- not entertainment purposes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stoker58 said:

I’ve been living here for more than ten years and, although not quite ready to leave yet, I seriously doubt that I will still be here in five years time. My wife, who is Thai and spent many years living in the west, also feels that things have steadily gone downhill. There used to be a relaxed, easy going, feel about the place, but now there just seems to be ever increasing corruption, bureaucracy and general hostility and selfishness. 

They can’t seem to elect and maintain a democratic government, and this trickles down to attitudes throughout the public sector, the biggest bully gets his way. Amazingly, standards of spoken English seem to have declined, and customer service has gone down the pan.

I’ll give it a few more years, but if it keeps going in the direction it is now I’ll be off, and my wife won’t be entirely sorry to return to the west either.

The problems mentioned above are exactly what is happening in the rest of the world as well, with a very few exceptions... paradise lost, or you can only step in the same stream once...

On 7/20/2018 at 8:51 PM, markusss said:

Baker's Delight certainly sounds good mate! I am looking forward to all the creature comforts of life in Australia. But I know the novelty will wear off fast. But I'm in my early 40s now. Not the young man I was when I first left and arrived here without a care in the world other than doing what I wanted. The best time for me here was between 2005 & 2008 I think. I had a great bunch of mates & had loads of great times especially with gfs here. While the political dramas were certainly well into play back then, it was still fun and Thais in general were good value and always up for a good laugh. But I seldom have those moments here these days. Life here seems to be consumed by how much the military grip has tightened & and not to mention the hypocrisy of this place which has reached a point where I can no longer follow the news here anymore. But I'm leaving on my own terms & I intend to get a T-shirt printed that reads "I lived in Thailand for 13 years & survived" ? 

You're still very young... were you really only late 20's when you came to live in Thailand?

Before you decide to rush home, think about how you would have felt about life if you had spent the last 13 years back in Australia. Also, as a 40+-year-old, what are your partnership options in Australia? Australians (females) are very age conscious when it comes to relationships. They consider 40 to be quite old. IMO you were too young to settle in Thailand and some of the change in attitude you're experiencing is just a natural change due to aging and maturing. Is Thailand changing that much, or just you?

Also worth considering. Where are you going to live in Australia? Some places can be great, but expensive. Other places can be downright depressing. Weather makes a big difference. I'd be heading for Queensland, where I used to live.

My recommendation would be to go back for a long vacation first to see how you feel. Don't cut all your ties just yet.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in November. I’ll be retired and she plans on becoming affiliated with Chiang Mai University to get her TEFL and go from there. We are relocating to get away from all of the madness here in the states. 

As a G.I. In the early 70’s and was in love with the people and the country. I say was, because after reading all of these negative posts, I’m not sure if this the right move all of a sudden. 

I have ave been doing my homework on the country and have a pretty good sense of what Thai driving, politics being a farong and what is and isn’t available. We understand the frustrating Thai way of doing things. We aren’t being naive at all, but again, I am uneasy about all of this after reading this thread. 

Anyone have ave anything positive say?

Robert

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 11:51 PM, FaFaHead said:

My wife and I are moving to Chiang Mai in November. I’ll be retired and she plans on becoming affiliated with Chiang Mai University to get her TEFL and go from there. We are relocating to get away from all of the madness here in the states. 

As a G.I. In the early 70’s and was in love with the people and the country. I say was, because after reading all of these negative posts, I’m not sure if this the right move all of a sudden. 

I have ave been doing my homework on the country and have a pretty good sense of what Thai driving, politics being a farong and what is and isn’t available. We understand the frustrating Thai way of doing things. We aren’t being naive at all, but again, I am uneasy about all of this after reading this thread. 

Anyone have ave anything positive say?

Robert

Don't worry, it is still great if you like hot weather and are able to live alone.

I do not need anyone and my only real friend is my computer (money making tool also), so I could live anywhere, but Thailand is still great. Food is cheap but if you want to eat healthy, cook at home, do not eat the street $hit.

If you do not mess with people, they won't mess with you, and everything will be fine.

Of course the story can be different if you really need to socialize and cannot live without new reliable friends that you won't find here anyway.

Also, girls are still good for fun, at any age, free or not, and it's a great cheap hobby !