Work Permit without degree on a marriage visa (British female)

Hi everyone ,

Looking for some help regarding obtaining a work permit without a degree. 

I have been on a Non O Marriage visa (Thai spouse)  and have been working in an international school in Bangkok for the past three years, but the school have never organized a work permit due to my visa issue being sorted.  

I'm currently in the process of buying a house with my husband and would like to obtain a work permit to help with financial proceedings.

I've read posts where some foreigners have obtained visas in schools without being technically listed as a teacher ? Is this true or just hearsay? Does anybody know what the steps are to do this?  

Any help would be kindly appreciated. 

Do you have a a visa or an extension of stay issued by Imm' in Thailand. ie was the the visa issued in an embassy/consulate outside Thailand or was your passport stamped by local inside Thailand Imm'

Do you do 90 day reports at your local Imm' office?

Hi there , 

My visa was issued within Thailand at Pathum Thani Immigration. It went from a Tourist Visa to a Non O Marriage Visa about two years ago. And yes I do 90 day reports at Pathum Thani Immigration 

Sammi

Edited by SJ1992

I am not an expert on this, but I have heard of foreigners getting work permits for non teaching jobs at international schools, typically "administration" or something. When not for teaching, work permits do not necessarily require a degree. To make this work, your school would need to be quite motivated to help, I think. This is not a very helpful post, I know, but it will perhaps offer you some hope until someone comes by with more concrete advice.

• Like 1

You can be employed as a trainer, a teacher's assistant, or a curriculum consultant, etc...

Then you'll bypass the TCT or Khurusapha and you'll easily get a work permit. Nothing to do with the Teacher's Council of Thailand.

I know a province where about 80 percent of the white teaching folks are working as trainers, or similar. 

You must talk to your school because the contract has to be totally different for approvement for the labor department. If I find the example of a contract I had somewhere a long time ago, I'll send you a message.  

Best of luck!!! 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

You don't have to get a different visa or extension of stay. You can get a work permit and work with non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage to a Thai.

When applying for the work permit a copy of your marriage certificate will need to be included.

As far as a degree being needed it can depend upon the work office you have to apply to.

Its completely illegal to be working without a work permit so you should get the school to sort it. You can be fined up to 100,000 Baht and receive up to 5 years in prison. If you dont have a work permit you dont have a tax ID & can't pay tax. So if your school is deducting tax their lying to you. As a alternative you might be able to do an online PGCE without a degree & that would give you the necessary qualifications for a teaching licence & a work permit.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, starky said:

You've already been knowingly doing the wrong thing for 3 years why worry about it now?

The post states the reason why she is worrying about it now, try to read a post properly before commenting.

To the OP, yes it is quite possible to get a work permit without a degree. International schools or private schools are businesses and they can easily help you obtain a work permit as long as they don't call you a teacher. Also if you need a work permit just for a mortgage, there are companies who will obtain one for you.

And of course she is aware that even though she might obtain a work permit, she is still working illegally because she and her school have circumvented the law. It would not seem to be an issue as both have colluded in her working illegally for three years this far, but just pointing this out. Assuming of course the majority of her time is spent in the classroom.

Jenny 2017 could you please email me a copy as well? I would appreciate it.

6 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Its completely illegal to be working without a work permit so you should get the school to sort it. You can be fined up to 100,000 Baht and receive up to 5 years in prison. If you dont have a work permit you dont have a tax ID & can't pay tax. So if your school is deducting tax their lying to you. As a alternative you might be able to do an online PGCE without a degree & that would give you the necessary qualifications for a teaching licence & a work permit.

The laws have just recently been changed and no more imprisonment is waiting for her.

It is not completely legal to work without a work permit, please don’t write stuff that could easily be misunderstood by others.

If you’re working as a full-time teacher, you can’t be employed as a trainer, which is a totally different position.

You wouldn’t be allowed to teach full time, and I’d assume not alone, etc.

An online PGCE is not an alternative, I’ve got no idea who told you so. It wouldn’t be enough to receive a 2-year provisional TL.

To be a teacher in Thailand, you’ve got to have a BA in any field, an additional certification, for example, a diploma in teacher education, will enable you to receive the 5-year teacher’s license.

The labour department in my province seems to close both eyes, while the one in a neighbouring province would never issue a work permit, based on being a trainer if they are aware that the applicant was working xx years as a teacher.

I don't think it's fair when others go through many years of educational development, while others are working as trainers, eventually making more money. 

But that's only my own personal opinion. 

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

A person can't do a POST graduate certificate or diploma without having a Bachelor's. That should be abundantly obvious. Further, the person would never get a waiver let alone a license without a degree. Finally, as I had stated prior if you're are simply going about your routine as before, you're just as illegal, maybe more as you've obtained a wp under false pretenses. Now, if you were unable to obtain a further waiver and took this route having a degree, I'd see it as minor issue in Thailand. But having no degree, skirting the law and working in the classroom (key) - it seems to me to nullify the WP. So why bother? I'm extremely curious what sort of 'international school' employs foreigners for years without a WP. I suspect you're a cheap hire and they'll hold on to you as long as you work cheap and don't require complicated paperwork.

Edit: I mean no disrespect stating you are s cheap hire, just would assume it to be fact especially since intl teachers even local hire start at 85k. As for paperwork, I suspect as soon as you bring up getting legal, they will foot drag then not offer a new contract.

Jenny 2017 if you do have that contract, especially if in Thai I would appreciate it. Thank you.

You can do a PGCE without a degree if you have other qualifications or experience e.g with accounting experience/qualifications you can get onto a business PGCE. With suitable work expeience you can get onto a CDT PGCE.

52 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

A person can't do a POST graduate certificate or diploma without having a Bachelor's. That should be abundantly obvious. Further, the person would never get a waiver let alone a license without a degree. Finally, as I had stated prior if you're are simply going about your routine as before, you're just as illegal, maybe more as you've obtained a wp under false pretenses. Now, if you were unable to obtain a further waiver and took this route having a degree, I'd see it as minor issue in Thailand. But having no degree, skirting the law and working in the classroom (key) - it seems to me to nullify the WP. So why bother? I'm extremely curious what sort of 'international school' employs foreigners for years without a WP. I suspect you're a cheap hire and they'll hold on to you as long as you work cheap and don't require complicated paperwork.

Edit: I mean no disrespect stating you are s cheap hire, just would assume it to be fact especially since intl teachers even local hire start at 85k. As for paperwork, I suspect as soon as you bring up getting legal, they will foot drag then not offer a new contract.

Jenny 2017 if you do have that contract, especially if in Thai I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Thank you for your nice and true post. I've even checked all my e-mails dating back to 2014, but the contract is gone. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Big Guns said:

You can do a PGCE without a degree if you have other qualifications or experience e.g with accounting experience/qualifications you can get onto a business PGCE. With suitable work expeience you can get onto a CDT PGCE.

What about studying for a degree in education to be fully legal? How is it fair when others study and spend some good money while others just think that they can bypass existing laws? 

For those who'd been working as teachers here for many years, the TCT didn't start to announce their rules and regulations overnight. 

There's plenty of time to do something. This is just my own personal opinion. 

21 hours ago, SJ1992 said:

Hi there , 

My visa was issued within Thailand at Pathum Thani Immigration. It went from a Tourist Visa to a Non O Marriage Visa about two years ago. And yes I do 90 day reports at Pathum Thani Immigration 

Sammi

Arn't the 90 days all completed online these day?

If you do not have a Visa you cannot be paying tax? The school let you do this for 3 years. As a school they are meant to be setting an example. You are British can you imagine a school in the UK letting you do this? I imagine apart from the moral aspect the fines would be massive.

2 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

I'd think that most TM 47's are made in person. 

I used to do my report online about 4 years ago. Have they stopped it? Not sure if it was called a TM47? If someone is not going to report they will not do so either way. The advantage is the powers have a more recent confirmation of your address. So many Thais do not have registered addresses or even ID but foreigners are being more clamped down on. Part of the reason I left too much xenophobia. Imagine say in England if they said all foreigners must report every 90 days but English can do what they want. I like an equal society. 

2 hours ago, Big Guns said:

There are flexilities, some universities (many countries) offer a combined bachelor and masters degree. Thammasat university did this for a few years BBA and MBA combined, 1 year extra on top of normal bachelor degree timing.

And there are universities which offer masters and Ph.D. together. 

Sorry I didn't fully read your original post. You should apply for Thai citizenship then you don't need a work permit. I got it a year ago & all visa & work permit issues are happily things of the past. Now Im just a regular (white) Thai bloke ?.

You have citizenship?!!! Just like that! Or PR?

Her problems will not go away by obtaining either - she will still need a BA and a teaching licence for the classroom. As for the BA or MA from a Thai university now claiming Thai citizenship, I would take a bet against that. Khrusapa will always treat a farang as  a farang. They will though process Thais as farang. Besides, fairly obvious she has no interest in educating herself and meeting the stated requirements, she'd be on that path already. She's not even returned to the discussion. She has no bachelor's. She's employable at that school because she has no education, no wp $$, no visa $$. When the cops come, school will shrug and her life will be upside down, certainly her marriage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

There are flexilities, some universities (many countries) offer a combined bachelor and masters degree. Thammasat university did this for a few years BBA and MBA combined, 1 year extra on top of normal bachelor degree timing.

And there are universities which offer masters and Ph.D. together. 

She hasn't bothered with a BA, no reason to be setting sights on a PhD. Bachelor's will meet the requirement. If she studies Education it's an automatic licence more or less.

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

You have citizenship?!!! Just like that! Or PR?

He went through the long process of applying for Thai nationality and having it approved. It certainly does not happen just like that.

For the OP it would be an easier process for her due to her being a woman married to a Thai.

• Thanks 1