Tragic scene as police chief's four year old son falls from 27th floor at Bangkok condo

Jonathan Fairfield

9 hours ago, Deli said:

How can a police officer, even higher ranking, afford a condo in this area ? Hmmm....

just so stupid comment, sorry do you have any empathy for people and do you have any idea about anything in this world he and his wife could simply just had borrowed money from the bank as most of people do in this world 

rip to the little boy 

10 hours ago, fullcave said:

Balconies should be child safe after all. With so few details it's hard to imagine who is responsible, the builder or the parent. But for sure it was not the child or the Buddha. Sad. 

If the balcony is not safe for a child to be left alone on it then you make it safe by whatever means is necessary 

The highest I have resided has been the 18th floor but my balcony was safe and it was not done because of hindsight

I admit I am not a parent. But what comes to mind for me, is that if you live on the 27th floor, why would you not at least have strong screens on all of your windows, and some sort of screen door, or guard on the balcony, to prevent something like this from happening? I assume it is impossible to keep your eyes on your kid all the time. So, you create measures to prevent something like this from happening. Right? What am I missing here? I think back to the Eric Clapton incident. Why was a child playing near an open window, on the 50th floor of a tower? What is that all about?

I'm not the most empathetic person, borderline antisocial some would say, and I'm not a parent, and I can hardly imagine being one. Frankly, the thought scares me to death. But even I can feel pain on behalf of the parents in a case like this. There are two great misfortunes in the world that just utterly crush most people that suffer them. The first is giving birth to a seriously defective child. The second is outliving a child.

Lest there be any misunderstanding, I am not saying or assuming this boy was disabled. I just mentioned that because I consider the emotional burden of losing a child to be as difficult as raising a seriously disabled child. Both are just so far off my scale I can't compare them to anything else.

I knew a guy at work who had a seriously disabled boy, needing constant care for life. I only found out about his son after knowing him for a couple years. I was amazed and awed at his ability to simply cope with his life. Of all the people in that office he is the one I learned the greatest respect for, simply for being able to come to work and treat others with patience.

I know this fallen boy's parents will spend the rest of their lives blaming themselves. No amount of therapy or religion or grit is going to be able to stop them from what-if'ing themselves every day for the rest of their lives. Move on? Five stages of grief? It's just inconceivable to me.

Even if that cop is crooked as a dog's hind leg, I doubt he's been so evil as to have earned something like this. It's certainly possible, but unlikely. If he took bribes and used that money to pay for that apartment, he's been given a life sentence of regret.

Families with very young kids should not live in a high rise condo .

But that's the reality for many Bangkok families.   

All I can say is R.I.P. 

Archived