Phuket croc search moves to Kata Noi, beach closed to swimmers

rooster59

Phuket croc search moves to Kata Noi, beach closed to swimmers 

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1532165106_1-org.jpg

The croc was seen on Kata Noi Beach by staff from the Katathani Hotel. Photo: Eakkapop Thontub

PHUKET: The search for crocodile previously seen swimming off Yanui and Nai harn beaches moved to Kata Noi Beach today after staff from a nearby hotel saw the aquatic reptile crawling on the beach.

Leading today’s inspection of Kata Noi Beach were Karon Mayor Tawee Thongcham, Vice Admiral Somnuk Preampramot, Commander of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command; Rawai Mayor Aroon Solos and Nikom Suksawas from the Southern Freshwater Fisheries Prevention and Suppression Centre in Surat Thani, the ‘Kraithong Lumnamtapi’ team from the Department of Fisheries in Surat Thani – named after the legendary crocodile hunter in Thai folklore officers of the Royal Thai Navy Third Area Command, Karon residents.

The group was later joined by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-croc-search-moves-to-kata-noi-beach-closed-to-swimmers-67973.php#0kMl48RZSB2a7eOs.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-07-21

Tourists have been warned but still enter the water.they really do leave their brains on the plane when they come here.what are they trying to catch it for? Just shoot the bloody thing before it does kill someone.apparently they taste like chicken and make good handbags.

28 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Tourists have been warned but still enter the water.they really do leave their brains on the plane when they come here.what are they trying to catch it for? Just shoot the bloody thing before it does kill someone.apparently they taste like chicken and make good handbags.

Make good hanbags, wallets, belts, boots etc but as for the taste I've found it somewhat neutral. Yes, they need to do something. Set traps would be the humane way. 

Crocodiles tend to taste of whatever they are eating.

Farmed crocs are generally fed chickens. To me that would be the closest in taste.

Apart from at crocodile parks I have also bought croc meat in Coles supermarket, and once fed it to my parents when they came for dinner. Their reaction when I told them what they had eaten was priceless!

Perhaps they should shoot all the wild elephants too. They're much more dangerous to people in Thailand.

This little croc is too small to attack a person, I hope it disappears back into a mangrove forest and lives a long life.

40 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Crocodiles tend to taste of whatever they are eating.

Farmed crocs are generally fed chickens. To me that would be the closest in taste.

Apart from at crocodile parks I have also bought croc meat in Coles supermarket, and once fed it to my parents when they came for dinner.Their reaction when I told them what they had eaten was priceless!

Their reaction when I told them what they had eaten was priceless!

They wanted to bite you in retaliation!:smile:

31 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Perhaps they should shoot all the wild elephants too. They're much more dangerous to people in Thailand.

This little croc is too small to attack a person, I hope it disappears back into a mangrove forest and lives a long life.

Bit of difference really.there many crocs and croc farms in Thailand and they produce more than one egg  I believe.where as an elephant only has one offspring at a time..it was reported that this croc was 2-3 metres in length and pursued a man.

21 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Bit of difference really.there many crocs and croc farms in Thailand and they produce more than one egg  I believe.where as an elephant only has one offspring at a time..it was reported that this croc was 2-3 metres in length and pursued a man.

some people just post because they feel the need to say something no matter what

someone trying to catch this dangerous predator could get injured or worse, what's the point

7 minutes ago, smedly said:

some people just post because they feel the need to say something no matter what

someone trying to catch this dangerous predator could get injured or worse, what's the point

You have a point there.i would rather come across an elephant in the jungle than a crocodile in the water.

34 minutes ago, smedly said:

Some people are very ignorant on many subjects yet still find it necessary to post their rubbish all over the forum.

This is a small harmless species croc, incorrectly called as 3 metres by the Rawai mayor who wouldn't know. Just because it followed a swimmer doesn't make it  a major predator. It could have caught the swimmer with ease if that was it's objective.

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Some people are very ignorant on many subjects yet still find it necessary to post their rubbish all over the forum.

This is a small harmless species croc, incorrectly called as 3 metres by the Rawai mayor who wouldn't know. Just because it followed a swimmer doesn't make it  a major predator. It could have caught the swimmer with ease if that was it's objective.

6 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

A harmless crocodile.a harmless crocodile.so why not leave the bugger alone and make it a tourist attraction like swimming with dolphins.???.really your pulling my leg I know you are.

1 minute ago, happy chappie said:

A harmless crocodile.a harmless crocodile.so why not leave the bugger alone and make it a tourist attraction like swimming with dolphins.???.really your pulling my leg I know you are.

I've swum with hundreds of harmless crocodiles at various times in Lake Argyle, Geikie and Katherine Gorges. If you and your mate think all species are man eaters you're just displaying your ignorance.

Here's a photo I took from a couple of feet away, in the Mary River, of one I wouldn't get in the water with.  It was being fed from a tourist boat.

224.jpg

1 minute ago, Old Croc said:

I've swum with hundreds of harmless crocodiles at various times in Lake Argyle, Geikie and Katherine Gorges. If you and your mate think all species are man eaters you're just displaying your ignorance.

Here's a photo I took from a couple of feet away, in the Mary River, of one I wouldn't get in the water with.  It was being fed from a tourist boat.

224.jpg

Well I suggest you get down to kata and jump in.youll not need duct tape as this carnivorous predator don't bite.

Crocodile escapes capture on Karon beach

By Thai PBS

17.png

Crocodile hunters tried unsuccessfully to capture a crocodile found on the beach in Muang district of Phuket early this morning.

The crocodile, which was believed to be the same one first sighted in the sea off Nai Han beach earlier last week,  was spotted at about 3.20 am today beaching near Wongwien Karon in Muang district.

Alerted of the sighting, the Kraithong crocodile hunting team was immediately rushed to the scene where they found the reptile apparently resting on the beach.  But as they tried to approach the reptile to make the capture, it became alerted and sprang into the sea.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/crocodile-escapes-capture-karon-beach/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-23

It was my thinking that salt water crocodiles were extinct in their native state here in Thailand. I could be wrong. So how did it get here I wondered. Here are three remote possibilities.

1. It escaped from a local zoo or pet owner. Could have been last week or maybe a couple of years back.

2. It swam all the way from Burma to here. 

3. Maybe they are not extinct after all.

But after years of living in Thailand, I know that none of my guesses will be correct. But I do know that the final answer will be a tall tail...

20 hours ago, smedly said:

To prove that you are right with your first sentence, here is my five cents.

You don't need to catch it Dundee style you know. Leave some baits attached to nets.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

the Kraithong crocodile hunting team was immediately rushed to the scene where they found the reptile apparently resting on the beach.  But as they tried to approach the reptile to make the capture, it became alerted and sprang into the sea.

Half of the "crocodile hunting team" should of course had been approaching the beast from the beachfront. Amateurs.....

38 minutes ago, beechbum said:

Hopefully the little fella finds a better place to live along way from here.

As for the idiots saying just shoot him you dead set have NFI.

I notice saner heads than the local mayor have now given more reasonable estimates of the size of this little croc.

"Estimates of the creature’s size have been variously reported from 1.2 – 2 metres. Latest photographs and video suggest the reptile’s size at around 2 metres." - Thaiger.

4 hours ago, missoura said:

It was my thinking that salt water crocodiles were extinct in their native state here in Thailand. I could be wrong. So how did it get here I wondered. Here are three remote possibilities.

1. It escaped from a local zoo or pet owner. Could have been last week or maybe a couple of years back.

2. It swam all the way from Burma to here. 

3. Maybe they are not extinct after all.

But after years of living in Thailand, I know that none of my guesses will be correct. But I do know that the final answer will be a tall tail...

I am sure we will discover it did indeed swim from another country and had been staying here without the relevant immigration documents. Bring in the Big Joke to do his work, he will have it rounded up in next to no time. Along with a band of other foreign undesirables.

Archived