Thai Mental Health Dept Alcoholism Centre: How to kick the alcohol habit

webfact

How to kick the alcohol habit

By The Nation

e63ed582323c90f5b36cd79691095bd5.jpeg

The Mental Health Department’s Alcoholism Centre has urged people who intend to stop drinking alcoholic beverages during the upcoming Buddhist Lent period (July 28 until mid-October) to make a start by reducing alcohol consumption gradually instead of an abrupt cessation.

Going cold turkey on alcohol can cause symptoms such as shaking, shivering, irregular heart rate, sweating and insomnia for people who long dependent on booze. During the 3-4 days into the withdrawal, one could also suffer from confusion, delirium, seeing or hearing things other people do not, or seizures, Mental Health Department director-general Dr Boonreung Traireungworarat warned. 

d8ad378dc210e771c2bb3bae4bf890f5.jpeg

He suggested that those who intend to stop drinking during the upcoming Buddhist Lent period should start by reducing their alcohol intake now so as to prevent withdrawal side-effects. He also urged them to see a doctor before they completely stop drinking, in order to get prescribed medication for alcohol dependence so as to lessen withdrawal symptoms. 

A recent survey by the department found that 1.8 per cent of Thais over 18, or about 900,000, were alcohol-dependent hence an Alcoholism Centre has been set up at Chiang Mai’s Suanprung Psychiatric Hospital to conduct research and set up treatment guidelines for alcoholism patients.

Hospital director Dr Thoranin Kongsuk, who is in charge of the Alcoholism Centre, suggested five points to ensure effective cessation of alcohol dependence:

1 Set a clear goal for what they are kicking the drinking habit and a specific time frame to cease drinking;

2 Those in regular contact with alcohol-dependent people must boost their self-confidence and show them good values in personal life, family and work;

3 The family of an alcohol-dependent person must be understanding, sympathetic and accepting while encouraging him/her to stop drinking to convey to them that they are not alone in fighting this battle;

4 Those surrounding an alcohol-dependent person should keep him/her inspired to stay sober longer and longer, commending the milestones achieved;

5 An alcohol-dependent person should forge a bonding with family, friends, neighbours, clubs/foundations who could get him/her overcome the habit.

Boonreung also urged that people wishing to quit drinking or suffering from mental problems due to drinking could seek advice through the department hotline 1323.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350580

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-23
  • Haha 1

Living in the countryside and having day to day contact with the Thai working class makes me think 1.8 percent is a low figure even projected across all Thai Adults.  And then there is addiction to tobacco, Ya Ba and energy drinks.  Gee; sounds just like home!!!  555.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Going cold turkey on alcohol can cause symptoms such as shaking, shivering, irregular heart rate, sweating and insomnia for people who long dependent on booze. During the 3-4 days into the withdrawal, one could also suffer from confusion, delirium, seeing or hearing things other people do not, or seizures, Mental Health Department director-general Dr Boonreung Traireungworarat warned.

That takes-care of a fair amount of the population, then!

Where has Dr Boonreung Traireungworara been until now!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Going cold turkey on alcohol can cause symptoms such as shaking, shivering, irregular heart rate, sweating and insomnia for people who long dependent on booze

They're making the assumption that their own population are a bunch of really hard core boozers as opposed to social drinkers and they have to 'taper' or risk going into withdrawals or DTs.  Probably true. Then we're suppose to believe those running the country are tea-drinkers.  Doubt that too.

Edited by connda
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Living in the countryside and having day to day contact with the Thai working class makes me think 1.8 percent is a low figure even projected across all Thai Adults.  And then there is addiction to tobacco, Ya Ba and energy drinks.  Gee; sounds just like home!!!  555.

I agree with this being a non drinker.... these people come to my beaches on pickups and get faceless, since when did our Thailand begin keeping data of how seriously is a drinking problems here together with all the other additives....most of them are masked and never reach the Re-hab territories!!

Much more to life than being wasted!

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

Same like saying to a person that bought 10 lottery ticket every time, to go down with one every 14 days. Very stupid!

Here it is more like telling a charcoaled corps: "but from now on we will stop smoking in bed, right?"

• Haha 1

Give funding to a advertising campaign. Set up detoxes. More community services. What effect is it happening on the family nucleus. Dr Bob' wisdom has helped millions world wide. 12 step programs. Reduce alcohol content in beer. Make higher tax for higher strength beer with money channelled back into the community. Identify which communities are more likely to suffer. Time.

All of the BS this guy is spouting is not even worth an answer!

But let me just state one point:

5 An alcohol-dependent person should forge a bonding with family, friends, neighbours, clubs/foundations who could get him/her overcome the habit.

Hey Einstein! If you look at alcoholics, you will find that their alcohol- dependency actually estranged them from families, friends, neighbours etc.

Mostly, they are not able to lead a "normal" social life!

That is the PROBLEM, you dimwit!

1 hour ago, hashmodha said:

I agree with this being a non drinker.... these people come to my beaches on pickups and get faceless, since when did our Thailand begin keeping data of how seriously is a drinking problems here together with all the other additives....most of them are masked and never reach the Re-hab territories!!

Much more to life than being wasted!

Your beaches?

You own some beaches?

I'm impressed.

45 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Give funding to a advertising campaign. Set up detoxes. More community services. What effect is it happening on the family nucleus. Dr Bob' wisdom has helped millions world wide. 12 step programs. Reduce alcohol content in beer. Make higher tax for higher strength beer with money channelled back into the community. Identify which communities are more likely to suffer. Time.

Hahaha..... Good one. 

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Don't worry, most will just buy a couple of extra bottles of whiskey the day before to bridge the "no alcohol sales" period and continue happily.

The article is referring to Buddhist Lent.  That's 3 months!

And to agree with another poster, the article does seem to assume that anyone who drinks must be an alcoholic!

This advice is way off.  My parents drank every night and gave it up for Lent every year.  I also had two friends who would give it up every January.  I suggested if it was for one month they should make it February.  They kept it in January and they were not just social drinkers.