Ragu Rustic Italiano, Promenada

Trujillo

26 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Meaning what, exactly? 

Is this a threat? How are you proposing to do "the belittling!!!"?

I'm all ears. Are you a tough guy? Gonna teach me a lesson? Give me what for? 

Or are you upset because you slipped and fell and now can't find your gerbil? 

Oi!

That was only part of the experience; I didn't make it up. 

But the reason I posted at all was because the food was, well, not good. There is nothing "very odd and not nice" going on here. No one expects service in Thailand to be stellar. But we do expect the food to be of reasonable quality. I have nothing against Ragu or whoever owns it; in fact, I'd like the place to be great. A decent Italian meal is worth having now and then. 

My aim is not to sully; rather, I hope that this little debate, what of it is actually on-topic, filters to the manager or owner and something is done to improve the situation. I'd go back if there if the situation was addressed in a meaningful way. 

In the fourteen years I've been eating at the David's restaurants I've been served perhaps five bad meals, the ratio of bad to good must be something like 0.5% or similar, on each occasion I've emailed David and he has put matters right and apologised, on one occasion he made a significant change of suppliers. I seriously doubt I could achieve that same ratio at any other restaurant in Chiang Mai unless it was McD or similar, I certainly could never achieve the same sort of response from the owners, even if it was McD. So yes, sometimes restaurants and people screw up and the customer suffers as a result, my advice would be not to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Actually, according to a relative who works at the Prom, farang customers (both those that are there for Immigration and those not), only account for less than 10% of the overall business there. So I doubt that Immigration leaving will have any effect on business at Promenada at all.

So when immigration leaves Promenada the ghost town it is now will stay the same?  Apart from Rimping theres hardly any customers at any shops ever in Promenada! It saddens me to say that by the way, would love it to succeed, but even Uniqlo who are very astute in their retailing practises upped and left !

3 hours ago, EL159 said:

So when immigration leaves Promenada the ghost town it is now will stay the same?  Apart from Rimping theres hardly any customers at any shops ever in Promenada! It saddens me to say that by the way, would love it to succeed, but even Uniqlo who are very astute in their retailing practises upped and left !

So when you say it is a ghost town what times and days do you base that on ? have you done a survey from 10am to 10pm, 7 days a week ?

8 hours ago, EL159 said:

The businesses that do very well are Dukes, Rimping, Chi Chang, the sporting goods shop, the Japanese sushi? restaurant, the Japanese ramen shop, KFC, the Korean coffee shop, the Thai food shop, and the cinema as well as the outdoor evening event. This according to a relative who is working there about 3-4 days per week. Of all the businesses she says that it's mostly Rimping and Dukes that get the falang customers.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 12:01 AM, simoh1490 said:

If you can't afford to eat at Dukes/Rago, say so, don't waffle and make up pathetic excuses!

That’s the second time this week I’ve seen you post exactly the same response when arguing with someone who isn’t keen on Dukes. I’m sure most of us can afford to eat at their establishments whenever we want, the point people are trying to make (I think) is that the food is overrated. From my personal experience they serve average food that doesn’t make me want to rush back. Not expensive restaurants compared to other places I eat, just rather uninspiring. (If Ragu is the place on the ground floor, I had a bland lasagne topped with rubbery cheese there about a year ago, with terrible garlic bread, so I guess I’m a Ragu hater too.

56 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

That’s the second time this week I’ve seen you post exactly the same response when arguing with someone who isn’t keen on Dukes.

I used to eat at Dukes by the river when I first came to Thailand.

The pizza's used to have plenty of toppings, the wait staff would constantly refill your water glasses.

The toppings were reduced and the staff stopped filling your water, so we didn't go any more.

This was shortly after the original owner sold out and became a shareholder (3 years back?).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I used to eat at Dukes by the river when I first came to Thailand.

The pizza's used to have plenty of toppings, the wait staff would constantly refill your water glasses.

The toppings were reduced and the staff stopped filling your water, so we didn't go any more.

This was shortly after the original owner sold out and became a shareholder (3 years back?).

I can't comment on your claim that "the original owner sold out and became a shareholder (3 years back?)" as I don't know.

My experience is the exact opposite of yours (in Maya, Promenada, and the Mae Ping locations) the pizza has gotten much better over the years and the toppings have actually increased. I've never been to the Chang Khlan location so I can't comment. Trust me, there is never an issue getting your water refilled at any of the locations. If by some odd chance they miss your table - just ask. ?

On 7/25/2018 at 12:01 AM, simoh1490 said:

If you can't afford to eat at Dukes/Rago, say so, don't waffle and make up pathetic excuses!

There you go again, making unsubstantiated assumptions. Where in his post did he say he couldn't afford to eat there?

Joe

I actually think Ragu'  improved since a few years ago when a "Farang" manager was on hand.

I think he was penny wise/pound foolish skimping on ingredients, and a hindrance.

I like  fresh mozzarella and tomato "caprese" sandwich.

On the printed menu it is listed that it it is topped with pesto and balsamic vinegar.

When the farang was there they would not put the pesto on, not a mistake happened several times. So once when I was dining in I protested and the Farang came out to my table.

He told us, "well we will put the pesto on but nobody has asked for it before". I found that to be odd so said to the Farang to the effect of,  as Pesto is listed as an ingredient on the menu "are you concerned with that at all?"

He looked at me with a blank face lacking any slight smile of courtesy as if I was being unreasonable, and silently walked away.

Now the pesto is served every time without exception. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect at such a place basic English from the service staff but they have no problem with "potato salad or pasta salad" "water" and "check please". The OP post appears to be overly critical based on a one off incident and why mention a server who is a "stout ladyboy"? Whether or not a server is a woman , man or in between has nothing to do with anything. Suggests overt bias and perhaps bigotry.

18 minutes ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Well it does seem that being a friend or acquaintance of "David"  requires the Duke / Ragu / River Market brigade to immediately leap to "his" defence whenever a less-than-positive review is posted about one of his establishments.

Joe

At least such less than positive comments can be made nowadays, not so long ago they would have been deleted so I guess something has changed.

• Like 1

Is it really defamation and "violation of the computer crimes act" to post an honest review?

I do think it might be better to do it on trip advisor or so  management gets a notice and chance to respond.

There are so many places now it is pointless to argue who has the best pizza, etc, I like the Dukes pizza also. It isn't cheap. So If a person does not want to pay taxes and service charge why not go elsewhere ?

Edited by ChiangMaiLightning2143

4 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

That’s the second time this week I’ve seen you post exactly the same response when arguing with someone who isn’t keen on Dukes.

In reality, you read the same post twice!

1 hour ago, Shoeless Joe said:

There you go again, making unsubstantiated assumptions. Where in his post did he say he couldn't afford to eat there?

Joe

The mans post was all about money and cost, not about food, service or the restaurant, what else could it possibly be....here, read it again:

"Its not "Anti Dukes", its the fact that all of the "Dukes Empire" ( Dukes, Ragu, River Market) are over priced, most add sleight of hand taxes on top and the food at the whole lot is bang average at best".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Is it really defamation and "violation of the computer crimes act" to post an honest review?

I do think it might be better to do it on trip advisor or so  management gets a notice and chance to respond.

There are so many places now it is pointless to argue who has the best pizza, etc, I like the Dukes pizza also. It isn't cheap. So If a person does not want to pay taxes and service charge why not go elsewhere ?

NO IT IS NOT! However, a chap I know was threatened by the Dukes owner with a defamation suit simply because he entered a facebook page and said that he didnt think that Dukes pizzas were the best in town! Honestly held views, which in no way criticise the food as such,  doesnt amount to defamation, surely? Unfortunately it seems that Dukes has a bunch of bully type supporters who have a habit of threatening people who dont like the food!

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

The mans post was all about money and cost, not about food, service or the restaurant, what else could it possibly be....here, read it again:

"Its not "Anti Dukes", its the fact that all of the "Dukes Empire" ( Dukes, Ragu, River Market) are over priced, most add sleight of hand taxes on top and the food at the whole lot is bang average at best".

Saying something is overpriced doesn't mean you can't afford it and I am sure you realise that. It means that it's not good value for money. If 7/11 started charging 1,000 baht for a pack of cigarettes I would say those cigarettes were overpriced but it doesn't necessarily follow that I don't have the money to buy them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

Saying something is overpriced doesn't mean you can't afford it and I am sure you realise that. It means that it's not good value for money. If 7/11 started charging 1,000 baht for a pack of cigarettes I would say those cigarettes were overpriced but it doesn't necessarily follow that I don't have the money to buy them.

"Overpriced" is subjective, unless there's a stated benchmark....overpriced for whom, expats or tourists, and compared against what, the Chiang Mai market or the visitors home market? I can see where some expats on fixed incomes would think The Dukes is overpriced, especially when they convert the cost into their home currency for comparison purposes, a tourist however is unlikely to see things the same way.

In reality, when somebody says something is overpriced it means they don't want to spend that much money for an item because it's too expensive and they can't afford it.

By the way, just to clarify my earlier and now much debated post, yes, I can EASILY afford to eat at Dukes, in fact very often eating at much more expensive places when the mood takes me/ us. I dont eat at Dukes because I think baht for baht, and especially when you add on the hidden taxes, the place for me is not good value because I feel the food is average and no more. Who in their right mind would pay 300 baht for a pizza when you can get a better one at several other places for around 200 baht. Its as simple as that! Clear for you now, "Simoh" ?

Edited by EL159
  • Like 1

Just now, EL159 said:

By the way, just to clarify my earlier and now much debated post, yes, I can EASILY afford to eat at Dukes, in fact very often eating at much more expensive places when the mood takes me/ us. I dont eat at Dukes because I think baht for baht, and especially when you add on the hidden taxes, the place for me is not good value because I feel the food is average and no more. Who in their right mind would pay 300 baht for a pizza when you can get a better one at several other places for around 200 baht. Its as simple as that!

A 200 baht pizza, that must be a gourmand delight!

And what's this nonsense about hidden taxes, the government sets taxes, not restaurants, the menu's clearly state that VAT is in addition, as they do at many restaurants.

9 minutes ago, EL159 said:

By the way, just to clarify my earlier and now much debated post, yes, I can EASILY afford to eat at Dukes, in fact very often eating at much more expensive places when the mood takes me/ us. I dont eat at Dukes because I think baht for baht, and especially when you add on the hidden taxes, the place for me is not good value because I feel the food is average and no more. Who in their right mind would pay 300 baht for a pizza when you can get a better one at several other places for around 200 baht. Its as simple as that! Clear for you now, "Simoh" ?

I can make a nice pizza at home for under 50bht, once a restaurant exceeds my 100% extra rule, I consider it 'overpriced'.

Same for beer, large Leo 54bht at my local shop, once a bar exceeds 108bht, I consider it 'overpriced' and buy elsewhere.

I view all my external drinking and dining in the same way.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

A 200 baht pizza, that must be a gourmand delight!

And what's this nonsense about hidden taxes, the government sets taxes, not restaurants, the menu's clearly state that VAT is in addition, as they do at many restaurants.

Simoh, you should get out more, and stop hanging out in Dukes all the time! There are excellent Pizzas in any number of places at around the 200/220 ish mark.....oh, and by the way, in case you hadnt noticed, Pizzas are simple fare, theyre never going to be "Gourmet food"! Regarding the taxes, apart from the major hotel chains, and Dukes, almost every restaurant put"the price you pay" on the menu. Its called "net price" so that youre not seen to be fleecing your customers.

A cheeseburger as McD costs what, 99 baht or so I would guess, yet a cheeseburger at a specialty burger restaurant in CM can set you back around 350 baht, there would be no comparison between the two products other than the name is the same. Yet oddly, some people actually like 99 baht McD cheeseburgers over any alternatives, is that pallet, pricing, or whatever, who knows. But I do know that trying to compare a 50 baht homemade pizza to a pizza made at somewhere such as the Dukes, and concluding the homemade pizza is better, is fantasy.

5 minutes ago, EL159 said:

Simoh, you should get out more, and stop hanging out in Dukes all the time! There are excellent Pizzas in any number of places at around the 200/220 ish mark.....oh, and by the way, in case you hadnt noticed, Pizzas are simple fare, theyre never going to be "Gourmet food"! Regarding the taxes, apart from the major hotel chains, and Dukes, almost every restaurant put"the price you pay" on the menu. Its called "net price" so that youre not seen to be fleecing your customers.

Rubbish and utter nonsense, "the price you pay" is barely seen in Chiang Mai restaurants. BTW, I'd love to play more but I have a hallway to paint, byee.

Edited by simoh1490

8 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Rubbish and utter nonsense, "the price you pay" is barely seen in Chiang Mai restaurants. BTW, I'd love to play more but I have a hallway to paint, byee.

Job done! "I rest my case". The power of fact and logic wins as usual! Bye bye!

15 hours ago, elektrified said:

The businesses that do very well are Dukes, Rimping, Chi Chang, the sporting goods shop, the Japanese sushi? restaurant, the Japanese ramen shop, KFC, the Korean coffee shop, the Thai food shop, and the cinema as well as the outdoor evening event. This according to a relative who is working there about 3-4 days per week. Of all the businesses she says that it's mostly Rimping and Dukes that get the falang customers.

So just to move on from the Duke's and Ragu discussion for a moment and since the subject of business overall at the Prom has come up, I will say that one business apparently not doing well is Kasikorn Bank. They will be shutting down their operation soon. My wife had recently opened a couple of accounts there and she received a registered letter to come and get her money or transfer it before they close.

Apparently that branch was doomed from the start as they were not able to get a permit to have a walk in fireproof vault installed on the 2nd Floor due to the weight. Many customers were put off by this and without safety deposit boxes, went elsewhere which hurt business.