One in five Brits are too nervous to drive abroad – and almost half worry about accidentally breaking a road rules on holiday

webfact

JITTERY JOURNEY 

One in five Brits are too nervous to drive abroad – and almost half worry about accidentally breaking a road rules on holiday

Unfamiliar roads and traffic laws can make for tense car trips while overseas

By Dan Elsom

list.jpg

AROUND one in five drivers are too nervous to get behind the wheel abroad, a study has found.

Despite enjoying a holiday overseas, 19 per cent of British motorists said they would never drive there.

Conducted by TravelSupermarket, the study also found 63 per cent feel less confident driving on roads abroad than they do on roads back home.

The biggest concern about taking to the road on holiday is how unfamiliar drivers will feel, while 46 per cent are worried they may accidentally break a road law they didn't know about.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/6859407/one-in-five-brits-are-too-nervous-to-drive-abroad-and-almost-half-worry-about-accidentally-breaking-a-road-rules-on-holiday/

-- THE SUN 2018-2018-07-26

• Like 1

The police are your friends,they try so hard to make the roads safer .its really not about the money...and the taxi drivers will return your ''lost wallet ''everyday of the week..

Edited by mok199
speliings
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I suffer from road rage every time I get behind a wheel here.  (Thai) drivers inserting themselves into my braking space; cutting across me with no signals; driving without lights at night; excessive speed; jumping red lights; police bandit road blocks; my wife telling me not to sound horn or make rude gestures; feel free to add.

I used to feel the same way, but now I just don't let it get to me. Get yourself an airhorn like I got. When you honk I guarantee you get satisfaction from the people nearly shiteeeing their pants. I don't take it personal anymore and that is the key. Driving defensively also helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:
32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Sure, that's why I couldn't understand why Thailand, Hong Kong and Malaysia were on the list.

Blame the nanny state... 

I take it you mean the public generally lack the gumption to find things out for themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

I suffer from road rage every time I get behind a wheel here.  (Thai) drivers inserting themselves into my braking space; cutting across me with no signals; driving without lights at night; excessive speed; jumping red lights; police bandit road blocks; my wife telling me not to sound horn or make rude gestures; feel free to add.

I was a bit like that at first. Ran out of steam quite quickly.

I really don't think Britons, or anyone else, need to worry about breaking traffic rules!

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markaoffy said:

So a country that has laws and enforces them for the safety and convenience of other motorists is a “nanny state”? Must be paradise if you’re in Death road Thailand 

UK is well established as a nanny state for many years already. I was amused to see Brewdog named it's 0.5% low alcohol offering thusly - a fine tribute to the lily-livered and faint of heart...

https://www.brewdog.com/item/61/BrewDog/Nanny-State.html

4 hours ago, chopin2 said:

Since Thailand is the worst country in terms of accidents, i wonder about Thais driving in foreign countries, are they frequently involved in accidents or are they able to adapt? Or, maybe they are too nervous to drive in foreign countries?...

A recent U.S. vacation.  No problem here............

20180614_194008.jpg

• Like 2

Thailand was the first country I lived in with right hand drive, so it was almost like learning to drive again - not just the roads but the vehicles themselves. 

I was in no rush, remained a passenger for a month or more, observing configuration, traffic flow and the range of abilities and typical "stupid stuff" other drivers might do.   I began driving in and around the village, slowly extending my range into larger Amphur towns and eventually tackled the city, big junctions and main highways.  The final exams were road trips to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Kanchanaburi, and then into and around Bangkok. 

Same as I did for my wife in other countries, she was an excellent left seat co-pilot, helping me through first time events when I needed a reminder or hint. 

I don't give it a second thought now after 5+ years but I do not "enjoy" driving here and I've never become fully comfortable sitting in a right hand drive car - it just feels wrong, moreover that I'm a righty.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, silverhawk_usa said:

A recent U.S. vacation.  No problem here............

20180614_194008.jpg

Yup!  Wife enjoys driving there, so do I.  Better cars, roads, and for the most part, "better" drivers in that there's a baseline of core ability and general awareness.

Last trip back earlier this year, we hit the road into Arizona and Nevada, sharing the driving.   75-80mph on cruise control over well maintained interstate highways, matching the speed and intent of other vehicles, like being in a school of fish, all moving in unison.  Big trucks/lorries are well behaved, none of this zig zag in and out the fast lanes.  No random police check points bottling things up. 

Cruise control in our SUV here is like tits on a boar hog. 

• Like 2

As a Brit, I'm more paranoid about driving in the UK than almost any other place. Cameras on every corner. More restrictions than you can shake a stick at. Police roadside traps. Rude / obnoxious road users, flipping the bird at the slightest pilot error.

I would simply guess that most Brits *expect* it to be worse outside the UK, when in fact, it is mostly much better - certain countries aside purely on local safety records.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why Turkey is down twice. I have driven in 9 of the countries. No doubt Thailand is the country you should be most nervous about. That said the 20% who admitted to being too nervous to drive seems quite low. I would have guessed that 50% would have been too nervous. 

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Slow drivers, zero & I mean zero lane discipline, zero thought for anyone other than themselves, Noisy motorcycles, noisy ignorant truck drivers, motorbike and sidecars, food sellers on mobile kitchens, sure there are a lot more we have missed!