No evidence Islamic State responsible for Toronto attack: police

webfact

No evidence Islamic State responsible for Toronto attack: police

2018-07-26T012107Z_1_LYNXMPEE6P02H_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-SHOOTING-CLAIM.JPG

A member of the Markham Synchro Swimming Club pays respect at a makeshift memorial as they take part in a vigil three days after a mass shooting on Danforth Avenue in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, July 25, 2018. REUTERS/Chris Helgren

TORONTO/CAIRO (Reuters) - Canadian police said on Wednesday that they had no evidence so far to support claims by the Islamic State militant group that it was responsible for a weekend shooting in Toronto that left two people dead and 13 wounded.

Faisal Hussain, 29, was identified by police as the gunman who opened fire on a busy Toronto street, killing 10-year-old girl Julianna Kozis and 18-year-old Reese Fallon. He was found dead shortly afterwards, authorities said.

Hussain, buried by his family on Wednesday morning, died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, a source close to the family said. The Special Investigations Unit, an independent body looking into his demise, would not confirm a cause of death.

Islamic State said through its AMAQ news agency that Hussain "was a soldier of the Islamic State and carried out the attack in response to calls to target the citizens of the coalition countries." It did not provide evidence for its claim.

"At this stage, we have no evidence to support these claims," said Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders.

"We will continue to explore every investigative avenue including interviewing those who knew Mr. Hussain, reviewing his online activity, and looking into his experiences with mental health."

Hussain's family said he worked in a grocery store but spent much of his time at home, and the struggled with severe mental illness.

Police said it was not known how Hussain obtained a gun.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, citing an unnamed police source, reported on Wednesday that Hussain got the gun from his brother, Fahad Hussain, and that it had been traced to the United States.

(Reporting by Omar Fahmy in Cairo and Danya Hajjaji and Anna Mehler Paperny in Toronto; Editing by John Stonestreet and Susan Thomas)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-26
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Check your latest news. He definitely logged on to ISIS sites. Regardless, this shows the mistake of allowing muslims to immigrate to civilized countries. Why no problem in Japan, South Korea, Hungary? No muslims allowed.

Wrong. Both Japan and S.Korea have a small Muslim population - approx 100k each. Japan has hundreds of thousands of Muslim workers, S.Korea approx one million Muslim tourists a year etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

Check your latest news. He definitely logged on to ISIS sites. Regardless, this shows the mistake of allowing muslims to immigrate to civilized countries. Why no problem in Japan, South Korea, Hungary? No muslims allowed.

Not strictly accurate, but certainly the greater the migrant numbers, greater the problems of integration - as nations across Europe are now learning the hard way.

One shudders to imagine what will happen, with no contingency plan in place, when the present relative trickle of thousands of Muslims from sub-Saharan Africa becomes a flood of needy millions.

Edited by Krataiboy

Where did this killer get his trainng on the use of pistols? He was pretty quick in changing the clips, and his shooting stance must have been learned..    Too bad the gun was not taken by the police, when his brother was arrested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree with stargrazer.I watched the video of the murderer as he moved   and adopted his grip and shooting posture.Having been trained in the use and handling of all firearms (served in the military)he certainly had training in the use and firing of handguns.Hopefully this is all noted and will be investigated.

Somehow I think it will not be as the liberal minded federal government and people of Ontario will not want to admit that their liberal policies on immigration is coming back to haunt them.Have they forgotten the other incidents before this ie the van driver in north York.Sad to say this is just the beginning and hopefully no more innocent lives will have to be lost before we wake up in Canada and realize the big mistake in regards to the liberal governments immigration policies.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The sad reality is that the Canadian government is doing its utmost to deny this link. There is a negative backlash against the open borders position that allows  tens of thousands of economic migrants to cross over from the USA, and to claim refugee status. Of course the USA is delighted to dump such people in Canada, since  The Canadian PM and Canadians were so critical of the USA on immigration.

The assailant here will be painted as a poor mentally ill soul. Well, of course he could be, but those are the people terrorists intentionally recruit. ISIL, Hamas, Taliban, Pakistani jihad et al have  had a longstanding  position to use children and the mentally ill as suicide bombers and killers.  

Lies and more of your racist trash. Maybe one too many dobies Spiccli. Canada has NEVER had a single Islamist Mass Murder terrorist act. We did have one of your fellow travelers murder 6 Muslims at a mosque last year. This is is what that guy was about.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/07/25/danforth-shooter-was-afraid-he-was-going-to-hurt-people.html

Edited by pegman

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Where did this killer get his trainng on the use of pistols? He was pretty quick in changing the clips, and his shooting stance must have been learned..    Too bad the gun was not taken by the police, when his brother was arrested.

Rambo movies. Or maybe he just practiced like DeNero in Taxi Driver. Why do you think the cops knew of that illegal American gun? Where did you guys come up with this nonsense? 

23 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Canada will bury any terrorist connection, but thinking people get it. And what difference does it make if he had affiliations or not. The result was the same.

It must be real tough for you guys out there in the far right wing-nut brigade knowing the has NEVER been an Islamist terrorist mass muder in Canada. Yeah, yeah we know the " DeepState " is covering it all up. You clowns make me laugh, 555.

3 hours ago, cbc said:

Agree with stargrazer.I watched the video of the murderer as he moved   and adopted his grip and shooting posture.Having been trained in the use and handling of all firearms (served in the military)he certainly had training in the use and firing of handguns.Hopefully this is all noted and will be investigated.

Somehow I think it will not be as the liberal minded federal government and people of Ontario will not want to admit that their liberal policies on immigration is coming back to haunt them.Have they forgotten the other incidents before this ie the van driver in north York.Sad to say this is just the beginning and hopefully no more innocent lives will have to be lost before we wake up in Canada and realize the big mistake in regards to the liberal governments immigration policies.

Been in Toronto for 2 months now and before this happened I read about lots of gang shootings... but they go largely unreported (globally anyway). I'm not sure it is an immigration problem per say as many of these gang members could have been born in Toronto.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

The Toronto Star has a long history of providing biased  stories to promote its agenda. It is no secret it has long been the print media ally of successive Liberal and NDP governments.

There have been multiple Islamic terror attack attempts which have been stopped.  These events are rarely reported because the government does not wish to cause civil disorder. Recent  events such as the attempt to  blow up the passenger train between Toronto & New York. Chiheb Esseghaier and Raed Jaser are now serving life sentences.

What do you call the  terror attack on the Canadian Parliament and the mnurder of the Canadian CplCirillol as he stood guard at the National War Memorial, or last october's stabbing of  the police officer in Edmonton, by the Islamic zealot screaming, or the nutter with a golf club that went beserk at a Canadian Tire outlet last year, or the Aaron Driver bombing, or the  fire bombing of the jewish school in Montreal? Those weren't  Hindus doing the attacks.

The only nonsense is coming from you. The firearm had a serial number and this was used to  trace  its distribution line. Rambo movies cannot be handgun training for the simple reason that weapons are not used in the manner that they are in  the movies.  Anyone with some experience with a handgun knows that they are inaccurate unless one practices and uses proper technique. This technique is not presented in Rambo movies.

You dismiss anyone who does not share your extremist agenda. The terrorist attacks have been prevented so far, and because Canada is a safe zone for terrorists. It is easy to get into the country and with the large fundamentalist population in Calgary, Toronto and especially Montreal where some of the more violent cells  exist, they are not going to  expose their safe houses. It is no secret that the  North African ghettos in Montreal North are no go zones, similar to some districts of Paris.

Canada changed long ago because of clueless twits who assumed that letting violent  people without vetting them wouldn't be a problem.

The only clown is you because you make false statements. The Canadian population doesn't rely on the biased media outlets of CBC and Toronto Star for its news anymore.

Oh my lord! I believe I'm getting the vapours reading all of this TERRIBLE news about those evil Muslims!

I'm just so grateful I don't live in such a place, beset by hordes of bloodthirsty Muslims just waiting (for what reason I don't know) to blow things up REAL GOOD! Think Big Jamal McBomb and Bilal Sul Hurock!

Oh, wait, I actually live in Toronto. And it's a peaceful multi-cultural city with little if any tension between the religious communities. My daughter lives in Montreal. No real worries there either. Now Calgary! I knew there must have been a hotbed of Sharia Law in Canada. How clever of them to hide it in the Capital of Redneck Canada.

A larger problem are the Canadian Incels who can't get laid because of their toxic personalities and take it out on women because they're "nice guys". I think there have been two mass murders by those guys already. Way more than Muslims. Shall we have a crackdown on losers? I understand your fears.

Actually, no, I don't. You're just another precious snowflake of a Conservative whining about a past that you'll never be able to return to. Sad!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The sad reality is that the Canadian government is doing its utmost to deny this link. There is a negative backlash against the open borders position that allows  tens of thousands of economic migrants to cross over from the USA, and to claim refugee status. Of course the USA is delighted to dump such people in Canada, since  The Canadian PM and Canadians were so critical of the USA on immigration.

The assailant here will be painted as a poor mentally ill soul. Well, of course he could be, but those are the people terrorists intentionally recruit. ISIL, Hamas, Taliban, Pakistani jihad et al have  had a longstanding  position to use children and the mentally ill as suicide bombers and killers.  

Anyone who actually believes and follows the koran is mentally ill.

1 minute ago, taipan1949 said:

Anyone who actually believes and follows the koran is mentally ill.

How about the Bible? Or any other of the religious texts? Just the Koran?

Have you had a chat with God about which one is the most correct?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Oh my lord! I believe I'm getting the vapours reading all of this TERRIBLE news about those evil Muslims!

I'm just so grateful I don't live in such a place, beset by hordes of bloodthirsty Muslims just waiting (for what reason I don't know) to blow things up REAL GOOD! Think Big Jamal McBomb and Bilal Sul Hurock!

Oh, wait, I actually live in Toronto. And it's a peaceful multi-cultural city with little if any tension between the religious communities. My daughter lives in Montreal. No real worries there either. Now Calgary! I knew there must have been a hotbed of Sharia Law in Canada. How clever of them to hide it in the Capital of Redneck Canada.

A larger problem are the Canadian Incels who can't get laid because of their toxic personalities and take it out on women because they're "nice guys". I think there have been two mass murders by those guys already. Way more than Muslims. Shall we have a crackdown on losers? I understand your fears.

Actually, no, I don't. You're just another precious snowflake of a Conservative whining about a past that you'll never be able to return to. Sad!

Yes it is sad that Canadians will soon not remember what a beautiful peaceful place it once was before muslims...

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Been in Toronto for 2 months now and before this happened I read about lots of gang shootings... but they go largely unreported (globally anyway). I'm not sure it is an immigration problem per say as many of these gang members could have been born in Toronto.

As a Marine I looked at his stance and this B...ard had training, not mentally ill.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, taipan1949 said:

As a Marine I looked at his stance and this B...ard had training, not mentally ill.

Did...did you just solve the mental health problem in North America? Just put them in the Marines and they are no longer mentally ill?

Wow! You should be up for a Nobel Prize!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pegman said:

It must be real tough for you guys out there in the far right wing-nut brigade knowing the has NEVER been an Islamist terrorist mass muder in Canada. Yeah, yeah we know the " DeepState " is covering it all up. You clowns make me laugh, 555.

It's getting harder for bleeding hearts to rearrange the facts to keep the religion of peace fantasy alive and well.  The old frog and scorpion scenario.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JCauto said:

Did...did you just solve the mental health problem in North America? Just put them in the Marines and they are no longer mentally ill?

Wow! You should be up for a Nobel Prize!

What I am saying here fool is that the guy took a trained stance to aim and kill, not the usual "gangster" idiot with the gun on it's side and blasting away. Why don't you grow a brain and look what the RCMP said about the battle with this guy? They had never faced an enemy with so much ability.

• Like 1