What is the attraction of a pcx bathtub and similar bikes?

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And just in case my wife would complain about the size do you think I should change my small bike against a bathtub? Do you think that would satisfy my wife?

Send her over to me

Ill send her back to you happy

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

In Bangkok there's a petrol station in lower Sukhumvit that's opposite Nana Plaza - so you can fill up with petrol and get off at the same time.

And after reading the discussions in this thread - I asked an expert lane splitter (local motorcycle taxi rider) why I don't see them using the PCX.  His explanation was simple .... cost.to buy, repair and run. As for width - he said many of their female passengers ride side-saddle, so the extra width of a PCX is not an issue for them. 

Personally, I think if an extra cm or 2 is a critical difference, then you're riding way too close to the cars, especially in Bangkok where the huge pot holes need a decent amount of wiggle room for last minute course corrections.

Thanks but I was commenting that Airblades have a patrol tank in front they are not a step through .

Also I avoid Bkk like the plague. 

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You admit it's 30cm wider than a small bike but you write: "Totally untrue. I weave in between traffic all the time with my Burgman. "

That does not add up!

Nobody can ride a bike which is considerably wider than other bikes just like the small bike. It's like saying you can drive with a truck everywhere where you drive with a Mini. It's just not true!

Maybe you ride somewhere on streets without traffic or the streets are very wide and there is a meter space between all the lanes where you can squeeze your bike through. But that's about it.

I have and had several bikes. The smallest one, Suzuki Raider 150, fits almost anywhere. Bigger bikes might fit or they might fit with some wiggling and sometimes there is no way to get them through the cars. It's true and it's measurable. Why is it so difficult to admit this truth?

Sorry. Some arguments or debates are simply so trite, petty, and insignificant, they do not measure up to a discussion that is worth commenting on. This is one of them!

On 8/1/2018 at 12:52 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

They might be comfortable. But all of them are BIG. And that means they don't fit between the cars. And I think that is one of the main attractions of bikes: They fit between cars and that makes them fast in traffic. If someone buys one of these huge things he/she can also buy a car. They both get stuck in traffic but at least the car has a roof.

I ride both a car and a bigger bike. The car is impossible in traffic. The bike is amazing. I really do not care about the extra 6" or 12". Means nothing to me. I weave where I can weave. And that is most of the places I want to go!

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And just in case my wife would complain about the size do you think I should change my small bike against a bathtub? Do you think that would satisfy my wife?

No just get a bigger bike. It will automatically seem  bigger. 

Ps it was a tongue in cheek comment. No offence intended. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry. Some arguments or debates are simply so trite, petty, and insignificant, they do not measure up to a discussion that is worth commenting on. This is one of them!

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I really do not care about the extra 6" or 12". Means nothing to me. I weave where I can weave.

So what is your point about writing in this thread if its trite, petty and insignificant and if you don't care if one bike is a lot wider than another?

I can weave in traffic just as fine with my PCX, maybe not as fast as those smaller bikes can but the diff is not that substantial. Besides, I rode mostly ride the highways than in Bangkok traffic, so the PCX make sense. Wouldn't ride smaller and lighter bikes in the highway. As for the "bathtub" impression, it doesn't matter to me as I prefer a much wider ride anyway. i always thought my PCX is still a little bit on the small side, reason why I want to upgrade to a 300cc. Each of us has diff preferences, maybe that's why..

On 8/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

You admit it's 30cm wider than a small bike but you write: "Totally untrue. I weave in between traffic all the time with my Burgman. "

That does not add up!

Nobody can ride a bike which is considerably wider than other bikes just like the small bike. It's like saying you can drive with a truck everywhere where you drive with a Mini. It's just not true!

Maybe you ride somewhere on streets without traffic or the streets are very wide and there is a meter space between all the lanes where you can squeeze your bike through. But that's about it.

I have and had several bikes. The smallest one, Suzuki Raider 150, fits almost anywhere. Bigger bikes might fit or they might fit with some wiggling and sometimes there is no way to get them through the cars. It's true and it's measurable. Why is it so difficult to admit this truth?

In your wildest dreams a PCX, Forza or any other Scooter is 30cm wider than a small bike. 

Width of a Suzuki Raider is 65cm, Wave 71cm, PCX 74cm, Forza 75cm. So in reality there is not much difference regarding the width of those bike.
Xmax, Forza and the other maxi scooter appear a lot bigger compared to smaller scooter because they also considerable higher and longer. 
Length of a  Wave is just  187cm, a Forza is 214cm and the height is also a big difference Wave is 109cm compared to Forza with 147cm.

So the difference in width of those bikes is not much but due to the length it is not so easy to change lanes in a traffic jam.

That is true.

If you have a street with 5 or 7 lanes and you one of the drivers, who changes within 40 metres from lane 1 to lane 4 than to lane 3 again to pass 2 cars there and than lane 7 again until you reached the traffic light to wait the 3 minutes there instead of 40 metres back. If it is that what you want or need a Wave is better.
It is good for those circumstances. 

Yes sometimes you get unlucky with a Big Scooter and end up behind a Bus and if you had a smaller bike, you could change lanes. That is accepted. 

I live near Ban Chang, so for me a trip to Pattaya Center is 50km to Rayong Center it is 40km. Maybe in Pattaya on Beachroad near Walking street there is 1km traffic jam on weekends around 22:00 where a smaller bike is able to change lanes in traffic stand still.
But after that small jam there are 49km in front of me with very little traffic. I want to sit comfortable and not feel every little pothole on the street on my way home.
I don`t give a shit if it looks cool or not.  

If I would live near Pratunam and drive  15km to Lat Prao I would also not buy a Maxi Scooter for that daily commute.

41 minutes ago, uwe_rayong said:

In your wildest dreams a PCX, Forza or any other Scooter is 30cm wider than a small bike. 

Width of a Suzuki Raider is 65cm, Wave 71cm, PCX 74cm, Forza 75cm. So in reality there is not much difference regarding the width of those bike.
Xmax, Forza and the other maxi scooter appear a lot bigger compared to smaller scooter because they also considerable higher and longer. 
Length of a  Wave is just  187cm, a Forza is 214cm and the height is also a big difference Wave is 109cm compared to Forza with 147cm.

So the difference in width of those bikes is not much but due to the length it is not so easy to change lanes in a traffic jam.

That is true.

If you have a street with 5 or 7 lanes and you one of the drivers, who changes within 40 metres from lane 1 to lane 4 than to lane 3 again to pass 2 cars there and than lane 7 again until you reached the traffic light to wait the 3 minutes there instead of 40 metres back. If it is that what you want or need a Wave is better.
It is good for those circumstances. 

Yes sometimes you get unlucky with a Big Scooter and end up behind a Bus and if you had a smaller bike, you could change lanes. That is accepted. 

I live near Ban Chang, so for me a trip to Pattaya Center is 50km to Rayong Center it is 40km. Maybe in Pattaya on Beachroad near Walking street there is 1km traffic jam on weekends around 22:00 where a smaller bike is able to change lanes in traffic stand still.
But after that small jam there are 49km in front of me with very little traffic. I want to sit comfortable and not feel every little pothole on the street on my way home.
I don`t give a shit if it looks cool or not.  

If I would live near Pratunam and drive  15km to Lat Prao I would also not buy a Maxi Scooter for that daily commute.

That's a nice summary.

I live in lower Sukhumvit and most of my time on roads is in heavy traffic. For me it's 4/5km where a few cm make a difference.

And about the width: Many bikes are relative narrow, only the handlebars and the mirrors are wider and might be on a collision course with car and van mirrors. Some bikes are so small that the handlebars and mirrors are under the cars - perfect. And then there are the bikes which are wide everywhere...

• 2 weeks later...

i have had my big bikes in the UK for years,  (R1 Fireblades etc) but not practical here for me,  i did look at a few, CRAZY PRICES, got a Yamaha GT love it i can put all my fishing kit on it including my rods and off i go, no way could i do that with a big motorbike

Archived