What is the attraction of a pcx bathtub and similar bikes?

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the comments.

Maybe lets clarify a thing or two:

I call them bathtub because I saw that other people use that word for these maxi scooters. And some of them really look big like a bathtub.

I called them BIG bike not in a sense that they have big engine like real big bikes. They are just physically very big - with relative small engines.

One of the reasons that many people in Thailand prefer motorcycles compared to cars is that they can get so much faster through traffic. That is true for many bikes - except physically big maxi scooters...

What I learned so far here is some people think they are comfortable and people like them because of the storage space.

That are the kind of arguments I was looking for. If people want a lot of storage space then i.e. a sports bike doesn't make sense.

But when I read comment like the big maxi scooters fit through every gab where small bikes fit that is simply untrue. They don't!

All types of bikes have advantages and disadvantages, not just maxi scooters. It's almost funny when some people try to insist that their (type of) bike is the best in any situation. It's not!

Each to their own.....:coffee1:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would venture to guess, and I could be wrong, that those knocking the PCX have never owned one, and probably never even driven one, which makes them unqualified to seriously comment on the bike, other than it's appearance, which I happen to like, as do my son and wife.  For the money, it's a great bike for everyday use.  But, as someone said, "to each their own".  But if you haven't actually spent time on one, you have no right to knock it.  

I do not care for them either. But I donot call them a bathtub I call them a couch. It looks to me like someone is on their couch when I see one. They may have their uses but I think they look so bulky and the look alone keeps me away from them. I would take a honda wave any day of the week over one of them.

1 minute ago, Just1Voice said:

I would venture to guess, and I could be wrong, that those knocking the PCX have never owned one, and probably never even driven one, which makes them unqualified to seriously comment on the bike, other than it's appearance, which I happen to like, as do my son and wife.  For the money, it's a great bike for everyday use.  But, as someone said, "to each their own".  But if you haven't actually spent time on one, you have no right to knock it.  

I have spent time on the back of it on a motorbike taxi. Most of that time was spent waiting behind cars and watching all the small bikes driving through the gaps.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have spent time on the back of it on a motorbike taxi. Most of that time was spent waiting behind cars and watching all the small bikes driving through the gaps.

Then your motorsi taxi guy didn't know how to drive.  I take mine into the city (Chiang Mai) and have absolutely NO problem going between cars like every other small bike.  Only my Forza and CB300f present that problem. 

9 minutes ago, Becker said:

And my advice is if you want to buy a scooter or any other MC or car pick one that fits your needs. I've had my trusty PCX for around 7 years (after owning various Honda/Kawasaki 115-125 cc bikes) and here in Pattaya it suits my needs perfectly. It's comfortable reliable and quick enough for city traffic.In addition I enjoy big bike parking in Big C and Central.

All in all what's not to like?

PS. 1. I only wear sandals on a beach.

2. I wouldn't ride a Harley if you paid me and when I see middle aged guys riding around on one with an MC club vest and the whole Easy Rider look forum rules makes it impossible for me to tell                 you what I think. But hey, to each his own.

Like I said, they are fairly practical although personally I think a smaller bike would be better for lane filtering. 

In any case, practicality has it's limits for some. A "Beer Chang" wife-beater vest with 100 Baht Pokemon shorts and a pair of Crocs is fairly practical for Pattaya as well, but I wouldn't wear that because I don't really like the look. Likewise, I would never ride a PCX because I could find something equally practical that looks better. Of course, looks are subjective and some people like the "Chang vest and Crocs" look just as they like the "PCX and sandals" look. 

PS. not sure why you keep bringing HD into this. Are you under the impression I am a Harley rider?

8 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I do not care for them either. But I donot call them a bathtub I call them a couch. It looks to me like someone is on their couch when I see one. They may have their uses but I think they look so bulky and the look alone keeps me away from them. I would take a honda wave any day of the week over one of them.

Try riding one...If your thing is a Wave then I reckon you are not the sort that cranks a scoot over on bends scraping stuff...:stoner:

Maybe just invest in a tape measure, you can do lots of things like measuring the width of a PCX before writing nonsense and calling it a bath tube. A PCX is 74cm wide and another scooter e.g an original Vespa is....74 cm wide, now the Vespa is also a bath tube. Please comments with facts, figures and measurements not just personal interpretations. 

honda_pcx_150_2015-71596.jpg

vespa_lx_size.jpg

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Yes beauty is subjective, as is style (hence the PCX riders preference for socks with their sandals).

PS. the PCX is a step through.

Ah , your'e right. What I don't prefer is the scoot with a flat-board where you put your feet like the Scoopy, Fino, etc. 

30 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Like I said, they are fairly practical although personally I think a smaller bike would be better for lane filtering. 

In any case, practicality has it's limits for some. A "Beer Chang" wife-beater vest with 100 Baht Pokemon shorts and a pair of Crocs is fairly practical for Pattaya as well, but I wouldn't wear that because I don't really like the look. Likewise, I would never ride a PCX because I could find something equally practical that looks better. Of course, looks are subjective and some people like the "Chang vest and Crocs" look just as they like the "PCX and sandals" look. 

PS. not sure why you keep bringing HD into this. Are you under the impression I am a Harley rider?

Strange that you think wife beater and sandals as soon as you see a PCX. I see tons of PCX and other small motorbike riders every day and that outfit is definitively not more prevalent among the PCX riders.

PS. I don't keep bringing anything into this - that was my first post in this thread. And I have no idea what you ride other than the impression you have a weird thing for sandals and PCX bikes.

7 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

Maybe just invest in a tape measure, you can do lots of things like measuring the width of a PCX before writing nonsense and calling it a bath tube. A PCX is 74cm wide and another scooter e.g an original Vespa is....74 cm wide, now the Vespa is also a bath tube. Please comments with facts, figures and measurements not just personal interpretations. 

vespa_lx_size.jpg

OMG, that's 3.4cm wider than a Honda Wave. That's where the problem lies...

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you ever try "any other bike"?

Because if you did then you should know there is a night and day difference.

I never tried one of those bathtubs. But I was on motorcycle taxis with them. Waiting in the traffic behind all those other cars. Except the cars have aircon and a roof.

You are thinking of the PCX bigger cousin, looks like a jetski. The PCX is the best fun bike i ever had, great in town, i have ridden it up to north Laos and the Chinese border too.

You ask "did you try any other bike"? But then add you have not tried a PCX, if you have not tried, how can you comment? ?

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

You do realise that the Thais buy small bikes because A, they are cheap, B, they are economical, and C, they are easily manipulated through traffic.

D, they can put an after market exhaust on that will be really annoying and LOUD? ?

Can't we just buy the ride we like and not get judged by it? LOL

I own the PCX now, I like it because of its weight and road presence. Might be my own observation, but I easily spot bigger bikes/scoots approaching and always get surprised by smaller motocyc appearing out of nowhere. Other cars also gives you more space when riding a bigger bike.  Running very stable at 80kph  even against strong winds. It also has enough power to get me out of bad spots.

I travel 60kms a day round trip. I will not ride a smaller cc and lighter bike. Heck, I even want to upgrade to an Xmax. I want more stability and better brakes. Call it a bathtub, i wont care anymore. ?

30 minutes ago, Boatfreak said:

vespa_lx_size.jpg

Did you actually look at those drawings? Especially the front and rear drawings show what a big thing that thing is. The widths of the handlebar might be the same but the rest is like a day and night difference. It seems the PCX has the full width from top to bottom. And if you add a rider in slow traffic you can add some feet to the left and right.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you actually look at those drawings? Especially the front and rear drawings show what a big thing that thing is. The widths of the handlebar might be the same but the rest is like a day and night difference. It seems the PCX has the full width from top to bottom. And if you add a rider in slow traffic you can add some feet to the left and right.

Not sure how you ride a bike but I keep my feet inside, I like my feet and want to keep them. 

I like my PCX very much, thank you. It suits my style (I never wear socks in Thailand) and is more stable at speed than other scooters I have tried in here in Pattaya

I have been riding motorized two wheel conveyances for 54 years, and as soon as I get my current divorce settled I will buy something of about 900cc or up. Preferably Moto Guzzi, but Honda is also nice.

6 minutes ago, Jonah Tenner said:

I like my PCX very much, thank you. It suits my style (I never wear socks in Thailand) and is more stable at speed than other scooters I have tried in here in Pattaya

I have been riding motorized two wheel conveyances for 54 years, and as soon as I get my current divorce settled I will buy something of about 900cc or up. Preferably Moto Guzzi, but Honda is also nice.

If the scoliosis in my back hadn't kicked in a few years back, I'd be riding a CBR1000RR.  But such is life.  My CB300f is just fine. 

I have a Triumph Bonneville in the UK for fun and my ride in Thailand is a Forza and thats great to own here.

Would never ride a Forza in the UK as I prefer a real bike but in LOS I love it (can not be ar$ed with gear changes etc) just jump on and off you go, yes Forza is little bit big around town but that don't really bother me personally, it is great for doing road trips so for me I get best of both in one bike. 

The OP is right that they do look large and ungainly but everyone to their own, Harleys look great but ride like a bag of crap (OIMO lol) And I have rode all types of bikes from being a sprog, but I love bikes and would never have a go at anyone's chosen ride...

Argument about BiG bike is daft as we all know here in LOS the term big bike applies to anything 150cc and above, I have no hang up with that

3 hours ago, action said:

I agree with the OP.  I always joke that the PCX is for old farts who either can't afford or can't handle a Harley or similar.  The Honda Phantom used to fill this role.

Worse than the PCX is that Honda Forza!  If you want a scooter buy a scooter.  If you want a big bike buy a big bike.  The two don't mix IMHO.

I totally understand the bathtub reference.  My motto is:  "If a bike's seat is wider than it's handle bars, it ain't a cool bike".  I've lived in rental houses with sofas smaller than the seat on these things. 

In the Thai community the PCX is a status symbol.  You're way more HiSo than those scoopy riders.  Throw a bunch obnoxious LED's and a stereo system and you're the king of the street!

I had a Phantom , never compared it to a HD. I now have a Forza , better by far than the Enfield I had or the Norton I had. I press the button and go , I don't have to oil a chain or check the points or buy a capacitor every year or two. Oh and the most comforable bike I have ever sat on .  Ok it is a big scooter , 300cc , nothing wrong with that IMHO.

What happened was Honda decided to engineer a bike for perfection, in order to do this they had to forget all thoughts of retro bikes designs.

they wanted function.  ...not form.

its all very very different the way it as all laid out.......

after all they rightly figured, the old phantom was their ‘ Harley retro ‘

a copy of a design that had not changed much for close to a hundred years.......we live in a modern age and that’s what the PCs represents.

no way would a phantom come close to the handling and performance of a modern pcx...many chose to live in the past as that is all they know.

thats the way it is.

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Couch ! Rubbish , my Forza is like riding an armchair.

24 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I had a Phantom , never compared it to a HD. I now have a Forza , better by far than the Enfield I had or the Norton I had. I press the button and go , I don't have to oil a chain or check the points or buy a capacitor every year or two. Oh and the most comforable bike I have ever sat on .  Ok it is a big scooter , 300cc , nothing wrong with that IMHO.

I definitely agree about the comfort.  I like to take trips once a month for up to a week at a time around the North & North East.  My CBR 250 was great for that, till my back problems kicked in.  Sold it and bought a CB300f.  Nice bike.  I had bought a Forza for my son, who loved it, except in city traffic and eventually went back to his PCX, and decided to try a trip from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai.  Absolutely the most comfortable ride I've ever had.  It will cruise at 100 kph all day, and you don't feel any vibration at all.  As I said earlier, I'm waiting for the 2018 models to hit the showrooms so I can buy a new one.  

I ride a Harley because a) I like the ride and b) I don't like the "crotch rocket" design. I like the "laid back cruiser" style.

The Harley gets me pretty much anywhere I want to go in the country. I've ridden to Chiang Mai, Sakhon Nakhon, Trat/Koh Chang and many other places in between. The Harley has more than enough speed for my liking and with the saddlebags and luggage rack I can carry as much as I need and then some. On the highways it has enough oomph to pass anything I'd care to pass, but can still zip along the shoulders or between lanes (usually) in heavy traffic or at intersections. It is rare to be stuck in traffic when on the big bike (on the highways).

For around town though I use a Honda Click. 125cc and the little "helmet compartment" are more than enough to meet my day to day needs. Can zoom through any traffic and park pretty much anywhere easily.

But my first bike (in Thailand) was a 150 cc Honda Phantom. I bought it thinking it would be big enough for short trips (say to Nong Nooch or even Ban Chang or Bang Saen) but still small enough to use in the city.

Didn't take long to see the fail in that. The bike does NOT go through traffic the way the smaller scooters do and it was a bi-atch to try and park as many places wouldn't let me park with the "scooters" as the bike was too big and messed up the area by blocking other bikes from getting in/out. The little saddlebags were just that. Little. Barely big enough to fit a back of snacks from the 7-11.
I finally gave up on it as it just wasn't as efficient as the smaller scooters so I sold it and bought the Click. 

And as for the "loud" Harleys. I've had 2 minor accidents that might have been avoided if I had been running "loud" pipes. I preferred the OEM pipes as they were super quite at low speeds and when idling, but still had a bit of throat to them on the highway. My (Thai) friends called my bike a "Honda Davidson" because it was so quiet. The stock pipes also kept the neighbours from getting their knickers in a knot when I'd come home (or leave) in the wee hours of the morning.

However, if I'd had "loud" pipes then maybe the idiots who decided to cut me off and change lanes (or cut across 2 lanes and make a turn right in front of me without looking or signalling) may have heard me and not done it.
Just a little "goose" on the throttle and everyone would have known I was there and maybe I wouldn't have ended up going for a tumble. Twice.

But to each their own as the saying goes. Everyone has their own ideas in mind when they choose a bike and some come to regret their decisions. I know a few people that bought those "Zoomer X" bikes when they first came out and regretted doing so within a few weeks. Same for those mini-scooters that look like they belong in a Shriner's Circus, not on a public road.
Probably more than a few regret buying the bigger PCXs after fighting through city traffic for a couple weeks while others are wishing they'd splurged and bought one instead of the smaller, less capable scooter they went with.

Oh and people in Thailand ride scooters because they are cheaper than cars, run forever on a tank of fuel, are easy to finance and easy/cheap to insure. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the comments.

Maybe lets clarify a thing or two:

I call them bathtub because I saw that other people use that word for these maxi scooters. And some of them really look big like a bathtub.

I called them BIG bike not in a sense that they have big engine like real big bikes. They are just physically very big - with relative small engines.

One of the reasons that many people in Thailand prefer motorcycles compared to cars is that they can get so much faster through traffic. That is true for many bikes - except physically big maxi scooters...

What I learned so far here is some people think they are comfortable and people like them because of the storage space.

That are the kind of arguments I was looking for. If people want a lot of storage space then i.e. a sports bike doesn't make sense.

But when I read comment like the big maxi scooters fit through every gab where small bikes fit that is simply untrue. They don't!

All types of bikes have advantages and disadvantages, not just maxi scooters. It's almost funny when some people try to insist that their (type of) bike is the best in any situation. It's not!

Yes lets clarify a few things PCX isn't a maxi scooter. Nor is it a step thru as someone else said. I have 35,000k on mine road it from CM to just about every place worth riding to. I have enjoyed riding it around Thailand and seeing the sights. Once in Surin a young man followed me to my hotel and asked me you road all the way from CM and I replied yes. He couldn't believe it, we parted with him giving me his phone number and saying if you have any problems call him. Nice kid. These threads pot up here every now and then with the so called elite riders putting down people who ride scooters.

4 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I definitely agree about the conform.  I like to take trips once a month for up to a week at a time around the North & North East.  My CBR 250 was great for that, till my back problems kicked in.  Sold it and bought a CB300f.  Nice bike.  I had bought a Forza for my son, who loved it, except in city traffic and eventually went back to his PCX, and decided to try a trip from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai.  Absolutely the most comfortable ride I've ever had.  It will cruise at 100 kph all day, and you don't feel any vibration at all.  As I said earlier, I'm waiting for the 2018 models to hit the showrooms so I can buy a new one.

Yes a few comments about heavy/filtering in traffic.  I live between C/Rai and Maisai , every week a couple of us get out up in the mountains near the cave , got lost last week trying to find the road along the border , I was on the Forza for 2 hours and at the end still no back ache , at 71 yo I need to just get on and go , to hot for fiddling about with chains etc. My orange armchair is just perfect for me . As for the long sweeping bends on the Chaing Saen road.  Perfik.

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maxi scooter? Big?

It's a bit bigger than the usual scooters, but still so small that it fits through every gap any other bike fits. Maxi Scooter is maybe the right description for 300cc+ scooters, but not for a PCX.

But the ride on a PCX is way smoother than on for example a Click, the handling is also better and the extra power is not really necessary in the city, but nice to have

And with a PCX it's possible to travel all arround the country (that's what i did) while being quite comfortable, on a Click or a Fino this would be much more stressfull

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

One cautious motocy-taxi guy where you are sitting pillion and suddenly ALL PCX's are just too big?

I drive the kids to school and PCX's I see zip through the gaps just the same. Maybe they hold back a tad when a gap is marginal but then they gun it, passing the Skippy's and Fino's just as far as the next blockage.

It's the preferred bike in the small fleet at our house in Bhan Nork.

Archived