What is the attraction of a pcx bathtub and similar bikes?

5 hours ago, tropo said:

It might be a comfortable ride, but it is not easier to ride than a small scooter. Your daughter says that so she can get on it and enjoy the sensation of power. 

Have to disagree with you there.  She's not the only one that's said it, myself included.  Driving a Scoopi, I feel very unsafe.  It doesn't have the stability and you don't have to lean very far (when stationery) before you feel the weight.  You can lean the Forza quite a lot before feeling the weight of the bike because of the low COG which also aids stability.  True, you can't turn it on a sixpence (but you can stop it on one!) like the 'moped scooters' but other than that it's a good scooter.  

Strange that tropo quotes 'enjoy the sensation of power' and others say that it's very under powered.  Acceleration is probably better than any other scooter and I get a top speed of around 140 (that's 84 mph) which should be quick enough for anyone. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My thoughts..As a '60's boy racer Mod I had Lambretta's and a Vespa. Lambretta's had better weight distribution which made them great for doing daft stuff, the Vespa was way to light at the front.

In LOS bought a Click for Mrs.Trans, way to light at the front, Airblade, nice scoot, reminded me of the Lambretta in the handling department, Grand Filano 125cc, loads of go but way to light at the front, PCX 125cc (now 9 years old), by far the best scoot for me, though they should have had a bigger engine from the start as it is a heavy ride. Weight distribution is very good, low slung fuel tank position helps that stuff. The longish wheel base took a bit of getting used too but no big ploblem and got rid of the saddle bump and recovered the thing. :stoner:

PS. Mrs.Trans will now not ride the Filano as the front slid away and only just recovered from trashing it..

Get this. People will always think that what they have is the best to justify their decision. No one wants to admit they made a mistake, that doesn't feel good to the ego.

We are arguing over nothing here, Like bunch of kids, because some bored troll decided to start a flame thread. 

5 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Get this. People will always think that what they have is the best to justify their decision. No one wants to admit they made a mistake, that doesn't feel good to the ego.

I have a phantom, a track bike, Forza plus 3 scoopi's and two cars.  Every vehicle has it's good and bad points.  Although, the Forza is my favourite and the track bike for fun.  Nothing to do with ego!

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

You do realise that the Thais buy small bikes because A, they are cheap, B, they are economical, and C, they are easily manipulated through traffic.

I think they buy them because they are cheap. 

If other alternstives were more affordable you would see more of them on the road.

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have spent time on the back of it on a motorbike taxi. Most of that time was spent waiting behind cars and watching all the small bikes driving through the gaps.

That's up to the mc taxi rider, not the bike.

37 minutes ago, alx123 said:

We are arguing over nothing here, Like bunch of kids, because some bored troll decided to start a flame thread. 

Socks and PCX isn't nothing. According to the bored troll it's about style. ?

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I have a phantom, a track bike, Forza plus 3 scoopi's and two cars.  Every vehicle has it's good and bad points.  Although, the Forza is my favourite and the track bike for fun.  Nothing to do with ego!

Of course, your'e never wrong ever..(nothing to do with ego)

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I am the "bored troll" and when you look at my first and the later posts you will find out that I asked why people like that kind of bike.

I asked because I don't see the attraction. I didn't tell anybody that they have a crappy bike and my bike it so much better.

In theory it should be possible to discuss the pros and cons of different bikes without flaming. Sometimes this happens in this forum when people think about buying new bikes and they ask for recommendations.

But it seems some forum users think that their bike is the best for everything. It's fast, it's small, it's comfortable, doesn't need any gas, just perfect. Unfortunately that is impossible but it seems it's difficult to accept for some people that their bike is not perfect for everything.

14 hours ago, papa al said:

holy cow

67 replies in 10 hrs.

And counting...

1. You can see how the vast majority of  expat riding 2 wheelers here were not motorcycle enthusiasts, bikers, riders, whatever you wish to call them, back in their home countries.

2. Getting excited about their new found "pride & joy" - basically an auto twist and go step thru scooter.

3. Note the wounded pride and vitriol - it'll get worse.......

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am the "bored troll" and I didn't tell anybody that they have a crappy bike and my bike it so much better.

In theory it should be possible to discuss the pros and cons of different bikes without flaming. 

Yeah, let's not call their bikes crappy indeed. Maybe calling it a "bathtub" will generate healthy discussion of the bikes pros and cons. Brilliant

1 minute ago, alx123 said:

Yeah, let's not call their bikes crappy indeed. Maybe calling it a "bathtub" will generate healthy discussion of the bikes pros and cons. Brilliant

Let's do the duck test: If it looks like a bathtub, swims like a bathtub, and gets stuck in the traffic like a bathtub, then it probably is a bathtub ?

48 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Let's do the duck test: If it looks like a bathtub, swims like a bathtub, and gets stuck in the traffic like a bathtub, then it probably is a bathtub ?

There you go, Own it. Don't pretend that  you started a thread in good faith and is looking for a healthy discussion. Case closed

Hey OP, I got a chuckle from the "bath tub" name - it kinda fits, like the US cars circa 1970s, we called them "tuna boats". 

My buddy likes his PCX a lot, always excited to have me try it out, saying I would buy one after I did.  I finally relented and took it for a ride around his moo baan. 

Wow!  Compared to the pink Hello Kitty Scoopi I share with the Mrs.,  this was a smooth, quiet ride.  Like floating on a cloud.  I got a bit caught up in a delayed mid-life crisis as I floated down the narrow soi.    Suddenly my arm muscles seemed bigger, wallet thicker, I felt great, like a million Satang.   I started to feel the eyes of every Thai housewife in the moo baan peering out at me longingly from their kitchen windows, thinking:

"OMG, look at that young, fit, handsum stud on the PCX!".

Each fantasizing about me suddenly pulling into her driveway, serving me cold Mama noodles and hot beer whilst massaging my neck and shoulders until I sweep her off her feet and carry her to the hong naam for a romantic snog on the toilet, before Somchai gets home from work.

Man, I was flying high in this dreamy, PCX-improved life idea, but it turned out I was actually flying high..... up and over the handlebars, because I'd hit a &^%!! soi dog having a krap in the middle of the *@#%$! moo baan road!   

~RUDE AWAKENING~

I came to my senses in mid-air flight, luckily a pile of uncollected, putrid rubbish bags in front of a garden boundary wall, broke my fall, but the bike crashed into a parked car belong to a Thai housewife.

Well, turns out this "Real Thai housewife" wasn't so alluring, and was not impressed when I told her she had bragging rights for having her car smashed by a Top of the Range PCX, not some garden variety, cheap charlie Scoopi.   She started screaming unintelligibly in one of those shrill, nasal Thai female voices that splits your head like a hot knife through butter.  You know the kind....  Yeah, one of those....

My mate threatened me into buying his smashed PCX at full value so he could get a new one, and his wife folded her arms and stared menacingly until I agreed to fix the damage I done to the neighbor's parked Honda Jazz.   

So now I'm even more broke, forced to keep riding my wife's Scoopi, suffering the emasculating insults from the lads down at the local with their phat pensions, fancy PCXs and big bikes parked up out front.  Waxed and detailed in the sun, they are gleaming symbols of success, the likes of which I'll never be able to afford now.

?

9 hours ago, transam said:

My thoughts..As a '60's boy racer Mod I had Lambretta's and a Vespa. Lambretta's had better weight distribution which made them great for doing daft stuff, the Vespa was way to light at the front.

In LOS bought a Click for Mrs.Trans, way to light at the front, Airblade, nice scoot, reminded me of the Lambretta in the handling department, Grand Filano 125cc, loads of go but way to light at the front, PCX 125cc (now 9 years old), by far the best scoot for me, though they should have had a bigger engine from the start as it is a heavy ride. Weight distribution is very good, low slung fuel tank position helps that stuff. The longish wheel base took a bit of getting used too but no big ploblem and got rid of the saddle bump and recovered the thing. :stoner:

PS. Mrs.Trans will now not ride the Filano as the front slid away and only just recovered from trashing it..

I still have 2 Lambrettas, great handling machines which I have bored out to 225cc & capable of 145kph, although when it came to a choice of a new scooter, went for Vespa.

The new Vespa’s are so much advanced over the older models. I also purchased a Scomadi and is probably one of the better handling scooters out there with front & rear disc brake & adjustable front/rear shocks as standard, but the 125 is a bit slow. I might get the 400/450 when it’s out here next year. 

The GTS150 can filter through any city traffic easy and I’ve also done 400km day trips on it.

The pcx I couldn’t get used to the handlebars and find them rather ugly.

The Filano is way too light at the front.

The only scooters other than Vespa & Scomadi I’d consider would be a Xmax, Aerox or Italjet.  

12 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

I still have 2 Lambrettas, great handling machines which I have bored out to 225cc & capable of 145kph, although when it came to a choice of a new scooter, went for Vespa.

The new Vespa’s are so much advanced over the older models. I also purchased a Scomadi and is probably one of the better handling scooters out there with front & rear disc brake & adjustable front/rear shocks as standard, but the 125 is a bit slow. I might get the 400/450 when it’s out here next year. 

The GTS150 can filter through any city traffic easy and I’ve also done 400km day trips on it.

The pcx I couldn’t get used to the handlebars and find them rather ugly.

The Filano is way too light at the front.

The only scooters other than Vespa & Scomadi I’d consider would be a Xmax, Aerox or Italjet.  

Barny likes the Filano though...

fino.jpg.a7ed085ed7072e2e1160c1e85d4e6bb5.jpg

23 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am the "bored troll" and when you look at my first and the later posts you will find out that I asked why people like that kind of bike.

I asked because I don't see the attraction. I didn't tell anybody that they have a crappy bike and my bike it so much better.

In theory it should be possible to discuss the pros and cons of different bikes without flaming. Sometimes this happens in this forum when people think about buying new bikes and they ask for recommendations.

But it seems some forum users think that their bike is the best for everything. It's fast, it's small, it's comfortable, doesn't need any gas, just perfect. Unfortunately that is impossible but it seems it's difficult to accept for some people that their bike is not perfect for everything.

I apologize for my two posts on this topic.

BTW, I wouldn't buy a PCX for myself after I owned about 20 real bikes.

Now at the age of almost 70 I enjoy to ride a Yamaha Xerox.

Is that alright with you ?

Thanks for reading.

19 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Thanks for reading.

I had a real car, 700hp on tap but I loved my Merc and Volvo for comfy reasons and what they were designed for...:stoner:

41 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Thanks for reading.

I have a scoot but for only for knock about, I use my crf motorbike for enjoyment.

What are the other 19. ?

On 7/27/2018 at 10:44 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

but it seems it's difficult to accept for some people that their bike is not perfect for everything.

Not at all my crf is perfect for everything in Thailand.

16 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

I still have 2 Lambrettas, great handling machines which I have bored out to 225cc & capable of 145kph

Rather a proper motorbike for that kind of speed, you must be very brave.

34 minutes ago, transam said:

I had a real car, 700hp on tap but I loved my Merc and Volvo for comfy reasons and what they were designed for...:stoner:

You also had a scooter the sort us rockers use to kick you off of. ?

Archived