What is the attraction of a pcx bathtub and similar bikes?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, lust said:

The pcx is one of the best scooters available. Build quality is superb, over engineered in my opinion. Easily get +100k km out of them. They can fit through traffic just like any other bike. You should test one out.

Matter of taste, I won't argue with subjective statements like "best", "superb"... up to you.

But I have had several Clicks, bored with them I rented a PCX to try it out, and definitely it doesn't fit through traffic the same way (I mean when it comes to zig-zagging through cars stuck at a traffic light). Also I found it quite uninteresting to drive (ok my own subjective statement) and I don't understand the extra overall size when my knees are in my chin just like on the Click - spoken by a tall person.

Now I set my sight on the Yamaha Aerox.

OK..so a PCX is a bathtub with a seat built for a very fat ass.. I have a Honda wave 110.. not a bad bike for doing the shopping... but.. I am a big guy.. so it is a bit small...  I definitely don't want a Harley or a Phantom.. any suggestions on a bike that is a bit bigger than the H 110.. ???

I recently use the Bathtub reference for the old Honda 300 CC, I explain the panels on the side make the bike look like a Bathtub, but when you look at the PCX especially the older one it is just a smaller version. I started with a Honda Click, driven a number Wave 100/110/125 with all these bikes I 've taken advantage of weaving through traffic. One of the major things people were saying about big bike like PCX, you would have a tougher time. Regardless of the numbers and measurement, it's easy 99 percent of the time or the same. You have to find out yourself instead of believing what you hear.

Six years ago, I started to think about moving up, feeling young I was looking first at a CBR 150, but didn't like the feel, was going to get a Wave and modify the bike with huge rims and tires and put a disc brake in the back. The last bike I thought about because of the looks was a PCX 150, After months of back and forth I got on to a PCX,  I said to myself if I can put the bike on the main kickstand like my Click I will consider it?  Push down the metal and it popped right up.

I walked out of the showroom went down to a shop and rental one for a few hours, I was sold and here is why!

Not only could I do all the same things I did on my Click, especially go around cars and traffic but the suspension is much better, especially if you replace the stock shock with a Gas unit 3000 baht and I got a custom flat board padded seat for 1800, didn't like the drop down stock one.

Now it rides like a small car and it handles much better with the extra weight much more sturdy on the road and all longer rides you don't get off like you been kicked around and tired.

Go rent one and find out for yourself!

My son has a Wave, said that is an old man bike now he is constantly asking can I borrow it. Planning on giving him the PCX, six years it has 75,000 KM  and running like the day I got it!

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I had a Phantom , never compared it to a HD. I now have a Forza , better by far than the Enfield I had or the Norton I had. I press the button and go , I don't have to oil a chain or check the points or buy a capacitor every year or two

Apples & Oranges.

And now go and wash your mouth out with soap and water.

ps;

points and capacitors went out of std production fitment on EVERY 2 wheeler by the beginning of the '80's...

8 hours ago, action said:

I agree with the OP.  I always joke that the PCX is for old farts who either can't afford or can't handle a Harley or similar.  The Honda Phantom used to fill this role. 

Worse than the PCX is that Honda Forza!  If you want a scooter buy a scooter.  If you want a big bike buy a big bike.  The two don't mix IMHO.

I totally understand the bathtub reference.  My motto is:  "If a bike's seat is wider than it's handle bars, it ain't a cool bike".  I've lived in rental houses with sofas smaller than the seat on these things.  

In the Thai community the PCX is a status symbol.  You're way more HiSo than those scoopy riders.  Throw a bunch obnoxious LED's and a stereo system and you're the king of the street!

I dislike the PCX's shape too, but I can't understand people who drive Harleys or choppers as well, they are totally impractical in the traffic here.

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Whenever I see one of those bathtubs I wonder why people buy them.

I have and will always call them the fat farang (pcx, fonza, nmax) bike because you will hardly ever see someone under 18 stone on one. It does not matter what you say, the small dedicated amount of riders, will always argue against your point. They are ugly and impracticable around town, relatively speaking in regards to your honda click, as i have ridden one. They do possess more power especially for your ageing overweight farang which gives it its appeal over most other points. Owners will argue that many Thais use them now (absolute rubbish statement) i have asked many if they would own one, with the answer being 'yes' if it was given to them for free (plus you only seem to see them in tourist areas. I truly believe that the 300cc fonza could very well be a comfortable ride on a long journey, however, i would be the laughing stock of my village.

Beauty may well be in the eye of the beholder but it sure as hell is not mine or the majority of others

10 hours ago, DILLIGAD said:

So you consider a 150cc+ scooter a big bike but you understand the attachment of other types of bikes.

Scooters are built for short/town/shopping trips so the front panels shield from the elements, I am afraid I don’t understand you thoughts, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the Honda Forza 300. Someone told me it was a small bike, IMO it is in between a small bike and a large one, I have ridden through the Bangkok traffic on it often enough, and splitting lanes regularly, even with saddle bags on it.

I do admit there are times when I cannot go where ie, a Wave or Click can, though it is only occasionally, and I have owned a Wave, Fino, PCX.

4 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

I have and will always call them the fat farang (pcx, fonza, nmax) bike because you will hardly ever see someone under 18 stone on one. It does not matter what you say, the small dedicated amount of riders, will always argue against your point. They are ugly and impracticable around town, relatively speaking in regards to your honda click, as i have ridden one. They do possess more power especially for your ageing overweight farang which gives it its appeal over most other points. Owners will argue that many Thais use them now (absolute rubbish statement) i have asked many if they would own one, with the answer being 'yes' if it was given to them for free (plus you only seem to see them in tourist areas. I truly believe that the 300cc fonza could very well be a comfortable ride on a long journey, however, i would be the laughing stock of my village. 

Beauty may well be in the eye of the beholder but it sure as hell is not mine or the majority of others 

I see Thais driving PCX here in Udon every day, but can't remember when i saw a farang on one the last time (besides myself, other farangs are mostly riding a Click)

Here in my Moobaan is a Thai girl who owns a PCX and another Thai girl who owns an XMAX.

3 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

OK..so a PCX is a bathtub with a seat built for a very fat ass.. I have a Honda wave 110.. not a bad bike for doing the shopping... but.. I am a big guy.. so it is a bit small...  I definitely don't want a Harley or a Phantom.. any suggestions on a bike that is a bit bigger than the H 110.. ???

New Click 150 or Aerox 

11 hours ago, lust said:

The pcx is one of the best scooters available. Build quality is superb, over engineered in my opinion. Easily get +100k km out of them. They can fit through traffic just like any other bike. You should test one out.

Not "Just like any other bike". I had a look at them when they first came out and rejected them due to their extra size. I prefer my smaller Honda Airblade and Yamaha Mio. The whole idea of a scooter is to fit into tight spots, and the PCX doesn't do it nearly as well. Yes, they have a bit more power, but lose out in maneuverability. I don't need more power as I use my scooter on congested streets and I already have more than enough. If you use them on the open road, then they make more sense.

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

I truly believe that the 300cc fonza could very well be a comfortable ride on a long journey, however, i would be the laughing stock of my village.

It's hard to believe that mature foreigners or Farang would care whether they look cool or not on a scooter. Other than young Thai boys, who cares about whether you look good or not on a scooter. It's functional transport, nothing more. I do notice that a lot of foreigners in Pattaya custom fit and paint their scooters. I prefer my scooters to be dirty, old and ugly, so they're always around when I need them, not a target for thieves. The more scratched up they are, the less new scratches bother you.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

A Fino is not economical. A Wave is much more economical where fuel consumption is concerned.

This type of comparison always amuses me. Do you want to pay 100 baht per week on fuel, or 105 baht? LOL

8 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all the comments.

Maybe lets clarify a thing or two:

I call them bathtub because I saw that other people use that word for these maxi scooters. And some of them really look big like a bathtub.

I called them BIG bike not in a sense that they have big engine like real big bikes. They are just physically very big - with relative small engines.

One of the reasons that many people in Thailand prefer motorcycles compared to cars is that they can get so much faster through traffic. That is true for many bikes - except physically big maxi scooters...

What I learned so far here is some people think they are comfortable and people like them because of the storage space.

That are the kind of arguments I was looking for. If people want a lot of storage space then i.e. a sports bike doesn't make sense.

But when I read comment like the big maxi scooters fit through every gab where small bikes fit that is simply untrue. They don't!

All types of bikes have advantages and disadvantages, not just maxi scooters. It's almost funny when some people try to insist that their (type of) bike is the best in any situation. It's not!

I gave up my car for my Forza, and I always, mean always get to the front of the traffic light queues, and that is something compared to a car, the Forza is great for long runs and also for city riding, also very economical, reliable and comfortable on long journeys.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I gave up my car for my Forza, and I always, mean always get to the front of the traffic light queues, and that is something compared to a car, the Forza is great for long runs and also for city riding, also very economical, reliable and comfortable on long journeys.

There are times when even I can't get to the front, on a smaller bike... and I'm very good at getting through the smallest of gaps, much smaller than you'd fit through... and you can do that on a Forza, degrees of magnitude larger than my scooters?

I'm not rubbishing Forzas. They are a very good option if you do a fair amount of open road, distance riding... but I'd have no use for one.

I've driven 'big bikes' but in Thailand I opted for a phantom then moved to a Forza.  Yes it is a bit bulky but an excellent ride and easier to ride and safer than a scoopi.  My daughter who rides a scoopi borrows my Forza when I'm not looking.  She says that it's so much easier to ride than her scoopi and was surprised how light it feels.  Thats down to the low centre of gravity.  It's the most comfortable ride I've had.

Some talk about the bulk of a big scooter with such a small engine.  How about the Honda Integra.  750 cc but still a scooter!!

Forza is an underpowered land yacht 

Overweight also for a 280cc? machine 

It is harder to get through gaps than a versys or ninja 650 and about the same weight but at least the versys moves when you gunn it

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

I My daughter who rides a scoopi borrows my Forza when I'm not looking.  She says that it's so much easier to ride than her scoopi and was surprised how light it feels.  Thats down to the low centre of gravity.  It's the most comfortable ride I've had.

It might be a comfortable ride, but it is not easier to ride than a small scooter. Your daughter says that so she can get on it and enjoy the sensation of power. 

Both my girlfriend and I ride big bikes and she also has a 5 year old click. We decided to buy another scooter for convience last month . After looking at all the shops there was only 2 bikes she hated and refused to buy. The Nmax and the PCX for there horrible styling. Couldnt agree more. More than happy with my faster cheaper better looking Aerox. 

16 hours ago, lust said:

Horrible bike, seat designed to throw you over the handle bar....and uncomfortable as well...i would never own honda bike..because of seat...and i hear that from alot of people..if you around 5 ft tall then maybe but still horrible design...I own 3 Yamaha Grand Falno...excellent bike...designed by Vespa

15 hours ago, action said:

I agree with the OP.  I always joke that the PCX is for old farts who either can't afford or can't handle a Harley or similar.

PCX not my cup of tea but I can both afford and handle a Harley - the thing is I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole - rode one once, sorry twice, worst bikes I've ever ridden, way too agricultural. Believe it or not there are bikers out there who don't have a massive beer belly, don't have a beard and hate Harleys................just saying like ?.

I am very fond of my pxc, its +5 years old now and never let me down even when I tried navigating a flodded road. Okay it died but I got it going again.
I also own a Versus650 mk3 which obviously is the bike of choice if I want to ride from Pattaya to Koh Chang.
When out and about in Pattaya I take the pcx with big top case fitted and all.
I don't have any mods on it that doesn't improve the ride, so a net on the seat and better rear shocks, everything else is original, no need to try making it faster, for city riding, it's fast enough.
Horses for courses

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, tropo said:

There are times when even I can't get to the front, on a smaller bike... and I'm very good at getting through the smallest of gaps, much smaller than you'd fit through... and you can do that on a Forza, degrees of magnitude larger than my scooters?

I'm not rubbishing Forzas. They are a very good option if you do a fair amount of open road, distance riding... but I'd have no use for one.

Perhaps I should have put it another way, when the lights are at red, then change to green, I always get away, I'm never caught again which would happen regularly when driving a car.

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have spent time on the back of it on a motorbike taxi. Most of that time was spent waiting behind cars and watching all the small bikes driving through the gaps.

Quite possibly due to your weight on the back of the bike rather than an inability to fit through small gaps.  I have a PCX and have no problems riding alone but with a passenger, even one half my weight, manoeuvrability in slow traffic is more of an issue.

Archived