What is the attraction of a pcx bathtub and similar bikes?

Whenever I see one of those bathtubs I wonder why people buy them.

There are lots of different types of bikes and I see the attraction of sport bikes, dirk bikes, choppers, little scooters and others.

But I find it difficult to understand why people  buy a motorcycle that is so big that it does not have the advantage of other bikes that it is small to filter through the traffic. Parking in motorcycle parking must also be a nightmare with those big things. And they also don't have much power.

Maybe some people are impressed when they see such a BIG bike because it looks bigger than a small scooter. But that's about it. It's bigger, what else?

I saw here a couple of threads about them. Maybe someone likes to elaborate what you like about those bikes.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pcx is one of the best scooters available. Build quality is superb, over engineered in my opinion. Easily get +100k km out of them. They can fit through traffic just like any other bike. You should test one out.

5 minutes ago, lust said:

They can fit through traffic just like any other bike. You should test one out.

Did you ever try "any other bike"?

Because if you did then you should know there is a night and day difference.

I never tried one of those bathtubs. But I was on motorcycle taxis with them. Waiting in the traffic behind all those other cars. Except the cars have aircon and a roof.

So you consider a 150cc+ scooter a big bike but you understand the attachment of other types of bikes.

Scooters are built for short/town/shopping trips so the front panels shield from the elements, I am afraid I don’t understand you thoughts, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never tried one of those bathtubs. But I was on motorcycle taxis with them. Waiting in the traffic behind all those other cars. Except the cars have aircon and a roof.

Um, yes. I’ve tried “every other bike”. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are lots of different types of bikes and I see the attraction of sport bikes, dirk bikes, choppers, little scooters and others.

There ya go you've just answered your own question. ?

I don't the big Harley's, Honda's, BM's etc but many people do.

I agree with the OP.  I always joke that the PCX is for old farts who either can't afford or can't handle a Harley or similar.  The Honda Phantom used to fill this role. 

Worse than the PCX is that Honda Forza!  If you want a scooter buy a scooter.  If you want a big bike buy a big bike.  The two don't mix IMHO.

I totally understand the bathtub reference.  My motto is:  "If a bike's seat is wider than it's handle bars, it ain't a cool bike".  I've lived in rental houses with sofas smaller than the seat on these things.  

In the Thai community the PCX is a status symbol.  You're way more HiSo than those scoopy riders.  Throw a bunch obnoxious LED's and a stereo system and you're the king of the street!

10 minutes ago, action said:

I agree with the OP.  I always joke that the PCX is for old farts who either can't afford or can't handle a Harley or similar.  The Honda Phantom used to fill this role. 

Worse than the PCX is that Honda Forza!  If you want a scooter buy a scooter.  If you want a big bike buy a big bike.  The two don't mix IMHO.

I totally understand the bathtub reference.  My motto is:  "If a bike's seat is wider than it's handle bars, it ain't a cool bike".  I've lived in rental houses with sofas smaller than the seat on these things.  

In the Thai community the PCX is a status symbol.  You're way more HiSo than those scoopy riders.  Throw a bunch obnoxious LED's and a stereo system and you're the king of the street!

Besides appealing to guys with little peckers, a Harley would have to be totally impractical for Thailands traffic, and do they really need to be that noisy, or is that just part of the "look at me" factor? BTW, never seen a PCX with a seat wider than it's handlebars.

This is one of the funniest thread here so far. LOL. The level of ignorance is ridiculous. 

People even comparing scooter with a harley. haha

Calling a 150cc PCX a bigbike copycat is laughable. 

Do you guys even know that 250cc bikes are called starter and beginner's bikes right?

"If you want a bigbike buy a bigbike if you want a scooter buy a scooter." LOL OMFG!!

Those smaller 100-125cc scoots and mopeds are too light, it feels like riding a bicycle. 

How about those maxi like the Tmax or the Burgman, ah maybe they haven't heard about it..those are bigger than a bathtub, maybe we can call them bathrooms LOL

10 minutes ago, action said:

I have both a PCX and Forza in bkk. Love them

1 minute ago, alx123 said:

Those smaller 100-125cc scoots and mopeds are too light, it feels like riding a bicycle. 

You do realise that the Thais buy small bikes because A, they are cheap, B, they are economical, and C, they are easily manipulated through traffic.

The PCX and NMax are obviously great bikes in terms of practicality. But I kind of get where the OP is coming from, they are a special kind of ugly. First time I saw it I was astounded. Your average scooter is bad enough but that front end with the bars in your lap? They do look pretty silly, and it doesn't help that the riders tend to wear socks with their sandals. 

If you MUST buy a scooter, my advice would be to buy an Aerox or a Vespa or something with at least a modicum of style. Oh, and lose the socks ?

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The PCX and NMax are obviously great bikes in terms of practicality. But I kind of get where the OP is coming from, they are a special kind of ugly. First time I saw it I was astounded. Your average scooter is bad enough but that front end with the bars in your lap? They do look pretty silly, and it doesn't help that the riders tend to wear socks with their sandals. 

If you MUST buy a scooter, my advice would be to buy an Aerox or a Vespa or something with at least a modicum of style. Oh, and lose the socks ?

Beauty is subjective, let's agree to that. you cannot get me to ride a HD or any step-through scooter like vespa, scoopy for example, i find them ridiculously designed. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Don’t understand why you find such an aversion to the PCX but to each their own. Had my Honda Airblade for 7 years but the 110cc was getting underpowered on the hills here in C. Mai. So, looked at the PCX 150cc (90k baht), then looked at the Aerox 155cc (65k baht). One of the things I was looking for in the Airbalade and the new bike was the storage room. Some of us prefer the MB rather than the car when going to the grocery. On both the old and new bikes, I also added a box on the back. Car is used for family transport but normally, without rain, I’m on the bike.

17 minutes ago, alx123 said:

Beauty is subjective, let's agree to that. you cannot get me to ride a HD or any step-through scooter like vespa, scoopy for example, i find them ridiculously designed. 

Yes beauty is subjective, as is style (hence the PCX riders preference for socks with their sandals).

PS. the PCX is a step through.

Thanks for all the comments.

Maybe lets clarify a thing or two:

I call them bathtub because I saw that other people use that word for these maxi scooters. And some of them really look big like a bathtub.

I called them BIG bike not in a sense that they have big engine like real big bikes. They are just physically very big - with relative small engines.

One of the reasons that many people in Thailand prefer motorcycles compared to cars is that they can get so much faster through traffic. That is true for many bikes - except physically big maxi scooters...

What I learned so far here is some people think they are comfortable and people like them because of the storage space.

That are the kind of arguments I was looking for. If people want a lot of storage space then i.e. a sports bike doesn't make sense.

But when I read comment like the big maxi scooters fit through every gab where small bikes fit that is simply untrue. They don't!

All types of bikes have advantages and disadvantages, not just maxi scooters. It's almost funny when some people try to insist that their (type of) bike is the best in any situation. It's not!

1 hour ago, action said:

I've had the PCX 125, and the PCX 150, AND the 300cc Forza.  The PCX 150 is a great bike,  faster than most other scooter, and handles like a dream.  NO problem going between cars.  Parking?  Never been a problem.  I gave my 34 year old adopted Thai son the 150, and he loves it.  As for the Forza?  It's definitely not for busy city driving due to it's size, but it is one hell of a touring bike.  I actually prefer it on long road trips than my CB300f.  I'm waiting now for the 2018 models to come out so I can buy a new one.  

37 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

And my advice is if you want to buy a scooter or any other MC or car pick one that fits your needs. I've had my trusty PCX for around 7 years (after owning various Honda/Kawasaki 115-125 cc bikes) and here in Pattaya it suits my needs perfectly. It's comfortable reliable and quick enough for city traffic.In addition I enjoy big bike parking in Big C and Central.

All in all what's not to like?

PS. 1. I only wear sandals on a beach.

2. I wouldn't ride a Harley if you paid me and when I see middle aged guys riding around on one with an MC club vest and the whole Easy Rider look forum rules makes it impossible for me to tell                 you what I think. But hey, to each his own.

Archived