Prayut has backing of many political parties to return as PM, says Sontirat

webfact

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Er, because that statement doesn't make any sense.

If that statement dont make sense to you, then you have no idea about how things get done here.

Edited by colinneil

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Thais are either really that stupid or something very bad will come of this.  Thais should be looking south to their neighbor who removed their corrupt government. 

With so many caffeine drinks running down the throat of every Somchai here, will the people ever wake up?

This so called ‘election’, if it ever occurs, is nothing but a toad migration ignoring the danger of crossing a highway, occupied by a convoy of big trucks loaded with money, led by a "Thai style democrat" with dictatorial inclinations.

• Like 2

In my opinion, and it is just an opinion, as long as there are no strong actions against Junta PM lovers then the Junta followers have a clear road to say and do what they want. But of course political meetings aren't allowed so how can others speak out anyway. The Junta followers break the rules without opposition, indeed seem to get encouragement. Sad.

• Like 1

If that statement dont make sense to you, then you have no idea about how things get done here.

Er, quite.

Care to explain what you mean then to someone who has no idea about how things get done here.

If you meant the disproportionate allocation of resources to the urban middle class, I would understand what you are getting at.But you haven’t said that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

MANY POLITICAL parties have expressed their desire that General Prayut Chan-o-cha return as prime minister after the next election,

Just my assumption and 2 cents worth of opinion.

Just which parties of reasonable size will support Prayut and will that be enough for him to sneak in as nominated PM? 

The 2 parties that are certainty are PP and ACT both relatively new parties with limited resources to compete on all the constituencies. Doubt these 2 parties can win more than 20 seats each. That will legally ruled out their entitlement to nominate Prayut as PM candidate ( party need 25 elected seat). 

What about a junta coalition. Possible BJT who will probably take up to 30 seats but Anutin has spoken against the junta recently. CTPP also critical of the junta. The Dem Party who will likely to still win the second most seats will be the darkhorse. They will be severely challenged by ACT and FFB. 

If PTP win 220-230 as most analysts think and FFP take 50+ seats from the Dem, Prayut will be crushed. I think it is possible and CTPP and possible BJT will join the anti Prayut coalition. Prayut and his military henchmen better start planning the next coup. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

The 2 parties that are certainty are PP and ACT both relatively new parties with limited resources to compete on all the constituencies.

I don't know if ACT was simply renamed but pro-military advocate Suthep as a key founder is now with the Ruampalang Prachachart Thai party.

The other founding members include former Bank of Thailand governor M.R. Chatumongkol Sonakul, former member of the National Reform Council Prasarn Marukapitak, vice dean of the Social Innovations Faculty of Rangsit University Suriyasai Katasila and Anek Laothammatat, former chairman of the political reform committee.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-turn-joins-new-political-party/

Suthep brings to the party a grassroots political organization in the Southern Thailand provinces previously supporting the Democrat party with substantial majority votes.

http://www.newmandala.org/thai-election-by-the-numbers/

It's unlikely that the Democrats can still prevail in the South without Suthep. With Suthep's historical advocacy for military juntas including the NCPO I doubt he'll fail to find financial resources (pro-military loans?) for the new party.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Other parties and their members face arrest and imprisonment if they have a meeting of 5 or more, it's extremely hard for a party to organise an election campaign as it takes more than 4 people in any country.  You have prospective politicians who have absolutely no choice regardless of their political opinions but to reluctantly go with Prayuth.  The election, sad to say is already decided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

I don't know if ACT was simply renamed but pro-military advocate Suthep as a key founder is now with the Ruampalang Prachachart Thai party.

The other founding members include former Bank of Thailand governor M.R. Chatumongkol Sonakul, former member of the National Reform Council Prasarn Marukapitak, vice dean of the Social Innovations Faculty of Rangsit University Suriyasai Katasila and Anek Laothammatat, former chairman of the political reform committee.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/suthep-turn-joins-new-political-party/

Suthep brings to the party a grassroots political organization in the Southern Thailand provinces previously supporting the Democrat party with substantial majority votes.

http://www.newmandala.org/thai-election-by-the-numbers/

It's unlikely that the Democrats can still prevail in the South without Suthep. With Suthep's historical advocacy for military juntas including the NCPO I doubt he'll fail to find financial resources (pro-military loans?) for the new party.

Interesting that Chatumonkol was a founding member of RPT which I hadn't picked up before.He was very firmly identified with the Democrats in the past and his son was a Democrat M.P.Are the "great and the good" in among the Democrats giving up on their party - I don't have a feel how typical Mom Tao is.

He is a highly intelligent man and not lacking in judgement.Looks to be bad news for the Dems if the nobs have turned against them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

“One of the problems of our country is lack of continuity in government policies. And that’s a weak point for Thailand.

I wonder why policies are so frequently discontinued. Could it be that there has been an interrupting mechanism in place for decades?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't wish to appear divisive but my impression is that many members of this forum don't have much contact with the educated Thai urban upper middle class of which Sino Thais are a major part..Let me assure all that there is a very wide spread assumption in that class that Prayuth will emerge as Prime Minister after the elections next year.I wouldn't characterize the support as enthusiastic but rather an acceptance of the inevitable, and they are generally okay with it.

I think the unknown factor is the behaviour of young people. What I have observed among young people of all classes, including the BKK middle class, is that they perceive the junta as old-fashioned and completely out of step, and perfectly understand now that they are crooks (including among those who were for the coup in 2014). This category is also more likely to be subject to a strong movement of opinion via social media, in case freedom of expression would be restored before elections.

How will they behave? I don't know. The main issue is wether they will go to vote or not. If young people massively vote, I don't think it will be in favour of the Junta. 

I think the unknown factor is the behaviour of young people. What I have observed among young people of all classes, including the BKK middle class, is that they perceive the junta as old-fashioned and completely out of step, and perfectly understand now that they are crooks (including among those who were for the coup in 2014). This category is also more likely to be subject to a strong movement of opinion via social media, in case freedom of expression would be restored before elections.

How will they behave? I don't know. The main issue is wether they will go to vote or not. If young people massively vote, I don't think it will be in favour of the Junta. 

That all sounds sensible and plausible.Still even if the younger generation in the middle class have tired of military rule, it doesn’t really advance matters if they follow a party epitomising all that was wrong with past attitudes of the privileged.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2018 at 4:47 PM, Bluespunk said:

I thought we were told those cabinet meetings weren’t about party politics. 

You're right but they don't consider strong arming as "party politics". Being a lap dog has many benefits.

• Like 2