Consulate Remarks on Visa stamp.

I have just returned from Laos (Vientiane Consulate) where I have got a tourist visa from. I do not have the 800k funds available at this time to apply for another type of visa.

I see there is now a Remarks stamp in my passport on the new visa ................................

" The holder of this passport travels to Thailand under a tourist visa several times which could result in the refusal of a visa in the future"

What are the implications of this remark and are there any other constructive suggestions or advice.

Although not actually in red, that comment is equivalent to what is commonly referred to as the "red stamp". You will not get any further tourist visas from Vientiane (and some other consulates) until you replace your current passport. The reliable place to get further tourist visas is Savannakhet, but make sure you understand the requirements when you go to apply there.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Although not actually in red, that comment is equivalent to what is commonly referred to as the "red stamp". You will not get any further tourist visas from Vientiane (and some other consulates) until you replace your current passport. The reliable place to get further tourist visas is Savannakhet, but make sure you understand the requirements when you go to apply there.

You mention Requirements can you point me in the direction of some explanation of the requirements please

Apologies to the OP if a bit off-topic (I didnt think my inquiry required a new thread)

What does Vientiane regard as consecutive visas ?

I've had :

Tourist visa from Vientiane

Visa exempt

Visa Exempt

Tourist visa from Savankhet

Visa exempt .

Would I risk a red stamp going back to Vientiane for a new TV ?

17 minutes ago, MarknMin said:

You mention Requirements can you point me in the direction of some explanation of the requirements please

All other embassies/consulates in the region require a bank statement showing the equivalent of at least 20K baht and an onward flight booking.

I wouldn’t recommend going to Savannahket with that stamp from Vientiane in your passport as they are under the control of the Vientiane embassy, although they might issue you a visa regardless.

You should avoid applying for more than 3 visas from the same place to avoid the ‘red stamp’.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Apologies to the OP if a bit off-topic (I didnt think my inquiry required a new thread)

I've had :

Visa exempt

Visa Exempt

Visa exempt .

They count any visas they’ve issued in your current passport.

Yes you would risk the warming stamp if you apply again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I've had :

Visa exempt

Visa Exempt

Visa exempt .

1 st Tourist Visa  Vientiane

2nd Tourist Visa Vientiane

3rd Tourist Visa Vientiane

4th Visa on Entry from Laos

5th Tourist Visa with Red Stamp equivalent.

I think maybe you risk a red stamp ?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, elviajero said:

I wouldn’t recommend going to Savannahket with that stamp from Vientiane in your passport as they are under the control of the Vientiane embassy, although they might issue you a visa regardless.

You should avoid applying for more than 3 visas from the same place to avoid the ‘red stamp’.

Totally agree.

I recall reading a post several months ago on TV, where someone having obtained 3 TV's from Vientiane and fearing the 'red stamp' went to Savannakhet instead. They issued another TV, but he got the 'red stamp' because it was the 4th TV issued in Lao. 

Edited by Tanoshi

5 minutes ago, MarknMin said:

What about going to Cambodia or Vietnam  any good options for TV there?

SETV’s are available in both countries with bank statement/booked flight.

Vietnam would be my choice of the two.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, elviajero said:

SETV’s are available in both countries with bank statement/booked flight.

Vietnam would be my choice of the two.

Phnom Pehn had some negative reports in the past for passports that are too full of visas, so that is recommended mostly for "cleaner" passports.

I'd pick Vietnam also in the situation described above.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Has anyone ever tried applying for a TV , with a red stamp in their PP ?

The stamp states that they MAY be refused a new TV .

Is a refusal a certainty or just a possibility ?

Phnom Penh has been known to refuse the first tourist visa application made there by people with many previous tourist visas in their current passport, even without the "red stamp". I would be quite surprised if someone with a red stamp from Vientiane received a tourist visa in Phnom Penh, but maybe some agents could manage it.

There are reports that Savannakhet will issue tourist visas with a red stamp from Vientiane. It is my theory that Savannakhet has requirements that Vientiane does not because the authorities (forced to stop handing out unlimited tourist visas without any requirements) are simply too busy to check bank statements and flight reservations themselves in Vientiane, but wanted to provide a usable option for those it could no longer give visas to without additional documents. Thus, Savannakhet will issue unlimited visas, but only if their requirements are met. The rule is

• In Vientiane, very easy with no requirements, but limited number issued.
  • In Savannakhet, bank statements required, onward travel reservation may be required (though they may accept an itinerary instead), unlimited visas issued.
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pr0fik said:

Do you need to have an onward ticket ( From Thailand ) in order to enter Thailand from Laos with Tourist Visa?

It is not asked for. A return or onward ticket is not required to enter the country if you have a valid visa.

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

I have tried it in PP with a red stamp from Vientiane once through an agency, and was summoned to the embassy for an interview, but they still issued me a new one (which was my 4th in that passport) :so you do have a chance to get one there if you go through an agency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It is not asked for. A return or onward ticket is not required to enter the country if you have a valid visa.

In order to apply for a tourist visa 60 Days, having an onward ticket from Thailand is not required as well right?

Basically , I already have a ticket to Laos this Sunday and will purchase ticket from Laos to Bangkok today. Going to apply for 60 days visa in Laos with Application form , pictures, and passport copies, without showing an onward ticket - Should work right? (Just for confirmation )

4 minutes ago, pr0fik said:

In order to apply for a tourist visa 60 Days, having an onward ticket from Thailand is not required as well right?

Basically , I already have a ticket to Laos this Sunday and will purchase ticket from Laos to Bangkok today. Going to apply for 60 days visa in Laos with Application form , pictures, and passport copies, without showing an onward ticket - Should work right? (Just for confirmation )

If you are applying in the Vientiane the answer is that you do not need to show a ticket to apply for the visa.

A completed application form with 2 photos attached, copy of passport photo page, Lao VOA/entry stamp and 1000 baht for the fee.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

One of the guys living in this area did border run and they changed the 

policy on number of land crossing. Stamped his passport Red  told he’s got 3 days to get out of country...

Visa exempt entries at land border crossings have been limited to 2 per calendar since January of 2017.

If you have a visa for entry there is not limit.

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Mostly recommendations.  But some people panic more easily than others. 

You cant just breathe on the application and get it like you could even 2-3 years ago. And unlimited consecutive TVs seem to be frowned on.   But it doesnt require Jason Bourne-style infiltration either. 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 8:31 AM, MarknMin said:

I do not have the 800k funds available at this time to apply for another type of visa.

Presumably, therefore, you would otherwise be eligible for a non-O visa on the grounds of being aged 50 and over? But if you do not have 800,000 THB in the bank, might it not alternatively be possible for you to prove finances on the basis of monthly income equalling at least 65,000 THB (as confirmed by your Embassy if it was derived in your home country)?

If, indeed, you are eligible for a non-O visa on age grounds, I personally think that you would be far better off directing your energies towards meeting the financial requirements for this particular visa type (plus subsequent retirement extensions) rather than attempting to find ways of staying in Thailand indefinitely on tourist visas!

Edited by OJAS