Sending US Social Securty to Thailand

Not hard. Open a Bangkok Bank "Direct Deposit" account for U.S. govt benefit payments at any Bangkok Bank full service branch.   Then provide the Bangkok Bank New York ACH/ABA routing number and your Direct Deposit account number to Social Security.  In fact, Bangkok Bank will provide the info to Social Security for you if you desire.

Read the info and instructions at this Bangkok Bank webpage regarding Advice to Bangkok Bank Customers Receiving U.S. Govt Benefit Payments.   It tells you everything you need to know about the Special Direct deposit account set, use, restrictions, etc.

And you may have heard that effective 1 Apr 19 ACH "ibanking" transfers via the Bangkok Bank New York branch will be rejected unless transmitted in the International ACH Transfer format.  This change does "not" affect U.S. govt benefit payments...they will continue to flow just fine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Not hard. Open a Bangkok Bank "Direct Deposit" account for U.S. govt benefit payments at any Bangkok Bank full service branch.   Then provide the Bangkok Bank New York ACH/ABA routing number and your Direct Deposit account number to Social Security.  In fact, Bangkok Bank will provide the info to Social Security for you if you desire.

Read the info and instructions at this Bangkok Bank webpage regarding Advice to Bangkok Bank Customers Receiving U.S. Govt Benefit Payments.   It tells you everything you need to know about the Special Direct deposit account set, use, restrictions, etc.

And you may have heard that effective 1 Apr 19 ACH "ibanking" transfers via the Bangkok Bank New York branch will be rejected unless transmitted in the International ACH Transfer format.  This change does "not" affect U.S. govt benefit payments...they will continue to flow just fine.

I understand these accounts have special rules.

I think they are these.

Can someone confirm?

No Atm card
No online access
Access only in person with passport

I am considering doing this. I already have a regular ATM care BB account.

I assume I would need to open a new account just for the SS, correct?

Is there any reason to open these accounts before starting the process with SS?

Or wait for their go ahead?

Is it true that SS sends a form for recipients to give to the bank?

As is obvious I am very confused about the optimal timing and steps for this process.

Would appreciate any advice.

Another concern I have is that that the format of my address is somewhat different on what IRS and SS has (which I see SS gets from IRS when I get the annual benefit estimate mailers.

The street numbers, names, and zip code are the same.

Should I attempt to fix this and with the bank or SS? The reason I changed it was to fit into IRS formd but the bank forms demand a more typical Thai format.

I know the address I've used works from the U S.

The trouble with changing it at the bank is they already have the local format for my existing account and I doubt they would even accept the way I write it for the U.S. forms. The differences are quite large as far as city names not being the same.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Have added some answers in Red text.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I understand these accounts have special rules.  Yeap

I think they are these.

Can someone confirm?

No Atm card    Correct
No online access   You can view the acct online and do online transfers "into" it, but you can not withdraw from it online.

Access only in person with passport  You must appear in person at any Bangkok Bank branch with passport in hand.

I am considering doing this. I already have a regular ATM care BB account.  And keep that account  as it.

I assume I would need to open a new account just for the SS, correct?   You would not have to...Bangkok Bank can convert your current account to a Direct Deposit account.  But don't do that...keep that regular account for the additional flexibility it offers online and with the ATM.  Open a separate Direct Deposit account.

Is there any reason to open these accounts before starting the process with SS?   When you apply for SS you will be asked for a bank account for your direct deposit, so you really need it open before  you apply. Recommend opening a Direct Deposit account at least several months before applying. 

Or wait for their go ahead?   No reason to wait for their go ahead...in fact not having bank account info when applying may just slow the process down.

Is it true that SS sends a form for recipients to give to the bank?  They might...they didn't require it from me as just verbally gave the account info during the phone interview....ditto for a friend I helped last year....but when my wife was applying although they took the bank info verbally during the interview they also required the form.  Seems to depend on the SS rep who is processing your claim.   If they need a signup form they will send you a blank SF-1199 for you to complete with your bank...but you will not need to use that form as explained a little later.  However, when you open a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account that is one of the forms they complete and will even mail it to SS Manila for you if desired, but it's better you just say no need as you will mail it---even if you haven't applied yet.  Plus, if they mailed it and it arrived before you applied the SS office would just wonder why the form was sent as Jingthing has not even applied for SS....so the Manila office would probably File 13 the form.  Just keep the SF-1099 that Bangkok Bank completes for you and then mail it to SS "if they ask for it during the application process."  For the wife she opened a DD account over 7 months before applying and when SS Manila asked for the form it was mailed to them....although the form was 7 months old that was OK-fine....SS Manila probably wants the form to ensure it really "going to your account" versus some one else due to some people trying to pull scams.  Can't explain why they didn't require the form from me or from my friend....but maybe they have tightened-up since last year and want the form....or, it will just depend on the SS rep you get.  But hey, Bankgok Bank is going to give you the form when you open the DD account...so, you will already have it if the SS wants it mailed to them. 

As is obvious I am very confused about the optimal timing and steps for this process.   You can apply for SS up to 4 months before your desired benefit begin date.  Like if you wanted your benefit to begin 1 Dec 18 you could apply as early as 1 Aug 18.  The "benefit begin" date is the day you start earning the monthly payment....the actual payment date would be 4 Jan 19....the 4th of the month for all pensioners using foreign addresses....it's not based on the day of the month you were born which is used for folks with U.S.  addresses.   But, if you plan to apply for Medicare Part B then that can not be applied for until 3 months before the date your want the coverage to begin. So, if wanting to apply for SS pension and Medicare on the same form/at the same time, you would want to apply for SS 3 months before you benefits begin date.

Would appreciate any advice.

Another concern I have is that that the format of my address is somewhat different on what IRS and SS has (which I see SS gets from IRS when I get the annual benefit estimate mailers.

The street numbers, names, and zip code are the same.

Should I attempt to fix this and with the bank or SS? The reason I changed it was to fit into IRS formd but the bank forms demand a more typical Thai format.

I know the address I've used works from the U S.

The trouble with changing it at the bank is they already have the local format for my existing account and I doubt they would even accept the way I write it for the U.S. forms. The differences are quite large as far as city names not being the same.

Just use your current, full Thailand address which probably matches your bank account address which I assume will include:

House number & street address & maybe moobaan/building

Sub-district and District

City, Thailand,  Postal Code

Yes, it will be slightly different from what you enter on your IRS return but that's fine.  I expect you  don't enter the sub-district and district info on your tax return due to limited space on the tax return.   By giving your full Thai address it should help ensure SS mailings do find your address....like getting that annual "Are You Dead or Alive" form.

• Thanks 1

Wow. 
I am so grateful for all that information. 

I am still deciding between deposit to a U.S. based account or BB.

I realize I should have gotten this together a lot earlier but I didn't so where I'm at now is that I want to apply for benefits soon. 

So I'm confused why I would need to have the new direct deposit account open for many months before applying. 

Why can't I open it tomorrow, know the account number, and be ready?

If there is some reason it must be older, would converting my existing ATM linked BB account count as an older account? I assume it would have the same account number.

I don't really need that account with ATM access. I only had it for the ACH transfer function for regular transfers from U.S. banks which is going away. 

Also it sounds like with a direct deposit account I couldn't even do an online transfer to my other BB account. Only deposit the cash I've withdrawn.

I could just as easily walk that cash to another bank if I just didn't want to keep it as I have regular accounts at two other Thai banks. 

What officially starts the date of application? Like I am eligible for benefits now and I called the Manila tomorrow could that be my starting date (dependent on their monthly cycles as you've described) which would eventually all be retroactively paid even if several months later? 

Which begs another question ... what counts as the official start of all this? When you call the first time, when you have an interview the first time, or when you are approved? Again, relating to possible retroactive payments. 

Again, thank you so, so much. 

Edited by Jingthing

Responses in Red text

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So I'm confused why I would need to have the new direct deposit account open for many months before applying. 

Why can't I open it tomorrow, know the account number, and be ready?  You can.

If there is some reason it must be older, would converting my existing ATM linked BB account count as an older account? I assume it would have the same account number.   Don't matter if the account was opened 1 millisecond earlier or opened when Fred Flintstone was still walking the Earth.  You can wait until 1 millisecond before applying if desired.  No account seasoning involved.  I just recommended at least several months to not to be caught in a last minute rush to get the account open as you know "sh&t always seems to happen at the worst possible time."  

I don't really need that account. I only had it for the ACH transfer function for regular transfers from U.S. banks which is going away.   Up to you.   Personally, I would keep it so you also have a fully functional account at Bangkok Bank along with a debit card.  But it's totally up to you whether you close the regular account, leave it as is/open, convert it to a Direct Deposit account, or open a separate Direct Deposit account.    Up to you.  But if I was you I would open a separate Direct Deposit account and also keep your current regular account.   Up to you.

Also it sounds like with a direct deposit account I couldn't even do an online transfer to my other BB account. Only deposit the cash I've withdrawn.  As mentioned earlier you can not do an online transfer out of the account...you can only do withdrawals and transfer in person at a branch.

What officially starts the date of application? Like I am eligible for benefits now and I called the Manila tomorrow could that be my starting date (dependent on their monthly cycles as you've described) which would eventually all be retroactively paid even if several months later?    When you apply online or in person they will asked when you want "benefits to begin" which will be used for two things: (1) determine what percentage of your full retirement amount you will get...the earlier you take it the lower your benefit, and (2) when you start earning the benefit for payment.  Like below is a snapshot of a printout from an online application...Manila will ask you when you want the benefit to begin....they also ask the reason just for gee-whiz purposes...get an idea of why people pick certain retirement ages.   But if you ask for a "benefit begin date" of like from the date of the application, that's totally up to you...it's just you will not get any back-pay until your application is approved which can take months...plus as mentioned that date would be used to determine what amount you will get...what percentage of your full retirement amount you will get.    

image.png.a9ac74ccecb0aa45a348a484716af0d1.png

• Thanks 1

Excellent.

Yes, I'm well aware of the claim later and get a bigger check thing. 

Sounds like I can request for starting date official by applying online. 

Don't you need a MY SSA account to apply online?

My impression is that people living abroad are not supposed to open MY SSA accounts.

Or if not online, what's the best way to begin this directly with Manila?

Do you think you can even back-date a start date?

For example, initiate claim in September and request start date a month before?

I don't really need the money right away so that's not the issue. Waiting several months no problem. 

Edited by Jingthing

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Excellent.

Yes, I'm well aware of the claim later and get a bigger check thing. 

Sounds like I can request for starting date official by applying online. 

Don't you need a MY SSA account to apply online?

My impression is that people living abroad are not supposed to open MY SSA accounts.

Or if not online, what's the best way to begin this directly with Manila?

Do you think you can even back-date a start date?

For example, initiate claim in September and request start date a month before?

I don't really need the money right away so that's not the issue. Waiting several months no problem. 

You can apply online even if you live outside the U.S.  It's just your application will most likely be initially processed by Manila.   If  you don't use the online application you can just email or call Manila saying your want to apply.  They will take some preliminary info, schedule a phone interview, etc. 

You would not be able to back date earlier that the date of your application.  You could basically as your benefits start date to be from the date of your application or 4 month into the future.

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK, 

Looking at that form now it doesn't look like there is any way to fit a full Thailand address!

How to deal with that if that form is required?

https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/SF1199A-12a.pdf?forceDownload=1

Bangkok Bank will fit in whatever address you give them.  Like for the SF1199 Bangkok Bank completed for my wife and another time for a friend, the subdistrict was included on the first line right after the street address, and the district was included on the second line just before the city.   

The address on that 1199 is "not" used to update any address in the SS or IRS systems.   It's important info on the form is your name, social security number, routing number, account number and the fact both you and your bank completed it.   

The form is really used since talking bank "routing number" and even account numbers can just glaze over some peoples eyes and if the bank is also involved in completing the form that ensures the correct routing number and account number will be used for the person.  And it's also validates the account is really "yours" since Bangkok Bank would not complete/validate/sign it unless the account is in your name only and is a Direct Deposit account.

Don't get wrapped around the axle regarding minor address variations.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK, I figured out already that you can apply ONLINE with a MySSA account if living abroad. 

But that the online application doesn't support Thailand as a direct deposit option. 

Sure it does.  You just provide the Bangkok Bank New York branch (which is a U.S. licensed bank) and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account number.   During the phone interview Manila will ask for your bank account info which you reply saying it's a Bangkok Bank account, Savings account, and give the routing and account numbers.  And depending on the Manila rep he/she may also require you to mail in a SF1199 to validate the info given....seems to depend on the rep.  When I applied through Manila I just gave my banking info over the phone (not Bangkok Bank info) and no SF1199 was required.  But last year when I hand-held a U.S.-Thai friend through the application and interview she didn't have to mail in the SF1199...just gave the info over the phone.  But about a year later when I did another hand-holding with my wife when she applied thru Manila they took the banking info (Bangkok Bank info) over the phone and that rep requested a the SF1199 also be mailed.    Three different applications at three different times with three different Manila reps...two reps didn't require a SF1199, but one rep did.  The latest application was the one where the 1199 had to be mailed in.  Maybe Manila "now"requires a follow-on 1199 on any application through them...or maybe it depends on the rep taking the application.  

See below snapshot from an online application summary...notice the routing number is the Bangkok, Bank NY branch routing number.   And no, Thailand is not part of the International Direct Deposit (IDD) program which is a program used by some U.S. govt agencies to pay pensioners living in IDD program participating countries.   If it was not for the Bangkok Bank special program for U.S. Govt benefit payments which uses the Bangkok Bank NY branch and special Direct Deposit account a person would not be able to have their SS or military pension sent to Thailand via Direct Deposit....it would have to be sent to some other country/bank, use a Direct Express Card (expensive for overseas use), or get a check mailed to you. 

image.png.c6227c5f0f4d6ecb25f499015aee1a18.png

• Thanks 1

In thinking about the pros and cons of direct deposit to the U.S. vs. Thailand, a big advantage I see with to the U.S. is that generally we have ways of getting money from the U.S. to Thailand, but if you want to get money back to the U.S. there are often restrictions. (Carrying a big bag of cash on the airplane isn't very appealing.) So having the money sent to the U.S. seems to preserve more flexibility even if there are extra costs. 

Another question -- I assume that it's possible to CHANGE your banking instructions later and that such a request would be initiated by contacting Manila FBU, sound right? 

Of course you can change your banking instructions...switch the payment to a different bank...or maybe to the same bank but different account.  Up to you. 

You could do it via Manila, calling the SS main toll free number, visiting any local SSA office.   Or via your mySSA online account "if you residential address is a U.S. address since some folks apparently" tell a fib to SS in saying they still live in the U.S. although they now live in Thailand. 

Summary: change banking data at will, multiple ways to to do.

https://www.ssa.gov/deposit/DDFAQ898.htm

image.png.9bcf4977f071242007e70a3b06d7699f.png

• Like 1

On 8/9/2018 at 10:23 AM, Pib said:

Bangkok Bank will fit in whatever address you give them.  Like for the SF1199 Bangkok Bank completed for my wife and another time for a friend, the subdistrict was included on the first line right after the street address, and the district was included on the second line just before the city.   

The address on that 1199 is "not" used to update any address in the SS or IRS systems.   It's important info on the form is your name, social security number, routing number, account number and the fact both you and your bank completed it.   

The form is really used since talking bank "routing number" and even account numbers can just glaze over some peoples eyes and if the bank is also involved in completing the form that ensures the correct routing number and account number will be used for the person.  And it's also validates the account is really "yours" since Bangkok Bank would not complete/validate/sign it unless the account is in your name only and is a Direct Deposit account.

Don't get wrapped around the axle regarding minor address variations.

Thanks.  I was wonder about that.  I took ID including my passport and social security card to CM Bangkok Bank and ask them about the process to get things started.  To my surprise, one of the staff took me aside and started filling out the necessary paperwork with me.  Showed me what to fill in and where to sign.  Had me open a Direct Deposit account with another staff member.  Then he took all the paperwork and said the bank would submit it to Manila on my behalf.  The only hitch was when he said to use the same address as I use for the bank which was my physical address as opposed to my mailing address.  I guess it's not a problem.

• Like 1